Free-to-Play Preview #1

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a subscriber, I'm concerned that there will be more items in the Cartel Market that I will want to purchase than Bioware will give me coins to buy items. Will subscription players be able to use in-game currency to buy Cartel coins? As a in-game item collector, having to make additional real life purchases was the big reason I left my last MMO. Will this be the case in free-to-play?

There will inveitably more items than you can purchase immediatly with your subscriber's coins. The purpose is clearly to entice some subscribers to pay a little more each month. OR, you can always wait a few cycles, and THEN purchase your items with your monthly reward of coins. Or you can ask your family for Cartel Coins for Christmas.

But if you expect being able to buy EVERY item as they appear with your monthly reward, you are in for a huge disappointment.

A perfect example of that would be the cash-pets and mounts in WoW. You had absolutely NO WAY of getting them ingame, even if you were a subscriber since day one, you STILL had to pay 5-10$ for those incredibly cute pets/mounts.

Is it bad when you are short on $ and want everything? Yes.

Is it good for Bioware/EA to get more income/hire more developpers/make more profit? Yes

Edited by JonathanCP

How about not making trailers for every update and put that money somewhere more usefull.

Let me clue you in on something about the real world.

I, and many working professionals like myself, spend MOST of our days actually making presentations and creating documents (aka meaningless work) because humans have to communicate with other people. This is how we, as professionals, sell our story and communicate benefits to those around us. People have been dressing things up, creating proposals, making presentations for a very long time.

Get used to it or go away.

Edited by Arkerus

Let me clue you in on something about the real world.

I, and many working professionals like myself, spend MOST of our days actually making presentations and creating documents (aka meaningless work) because humans have to communicate with other people. This is how we, as professionals, sell our story and communicate benefits to those around us. People have been dressing things up, creating proposals, making presentations for a very long time.

Get used to it or go away.

A text announcement would have sufficed.

So I can be a human, a human with horns or a human with metal on my face. Well thats not very restricting.

You can also be a green human, a blue human, a human with tattoos and... a blood elf.

Subscribing is the key

lol here is your free 2 play video update...look at all the stuff you can't do unless you have a sub! lol thats great. Also, wth is with yet another dancing gimmick in game? I guess people can't get enough from their party instigators, party bombs, now they gotta give us a party jawa...sigh. apparently SWTOR is now nothing but american bandstand and soul train...lets pump the jams and have a dance off...

That's nice and all, but no clue of how much some things will cost?

Can you give us a vague idea?

I don't know if anyone has been fooled by letting us know how many cartel coins we have.

That means nothing unless we know what it can buy.

Some vague idea would be great.

Hey guys! Thanks for the new free to play video #1. I think it's a great start to let folks know about what going to be happening when the change occurs. Lookin good so far. Thanks for keeping us informed!! :)

Are you guys going to be doing a video on what's going to be available in the cartel coin store to buy?

An example of things would be cool. Like being able to buy character races other than the beginning three or what type of gear will available or mounts. Things of that nature would be fantastic!!

Anyway thanks again guys and keep up the good work!! :)

As a subscriber, I'm concerned that there will be more items in the Cartel Market that I will want to purchase than Bioware will give me coins to buy items. Will subscription players be able to use in-game currency to buy Cartel coins? As a in-game item collector, having to make additional real life purchases was the big reason I left my last MMO. Will this be the case in free-to-play?

You are basically asking if Bioware will let you give them more money.

I'm quite confident the answer to that will be an astounding YES

I'm sure there will be lots of vanity stuff in the store only available there. If you feel the need to have them all and that in turn puts you off the game I can't say that's the games problem.

This is pure speculation but looking at the video I can see that the costs appear to have been blurred in the window rather than actually removed, also looking at the blur of the Carbonite Chamber which is featuring on the right I can see that there are 3 lumps at the bottom which suggests that the Carbonite chambers price is in three figures on what ever server they're testing on atm.

Obviously this could be wrong, and just as obviously this could well change before launch, but a three figure price for a single item certainly sounds about what I'd expect.

At an artistic standpoint the $ sign should be about equal in size to every numeral. So all you'd have to do is see how many cartel "dollar" signs can fit into the slot. For example the Longspur looks like it has room for 3 digits, but if you look directly left it appears to have room for 4 digits.

Then again I could be just as wrong :)

F2P are given choice of 3 races...I'm at the moment a subscriber, and I have a Sith Race Inquisitor. So if I drop my subscription (I couldn't give a bantha fart about warzones) I lose the ability to play my legacy sith race??

this was also one of my questions about f2p

Hey guys just me again!! :)

I'm tending to agree with most of the people here that 3 warzones a week is a very bad idea.

1. There is no match making on warzones so you have no control over what warzones you queue for. Example I HATE huttball. As soon as I get in a game I log out straight away. It would be nice if you could choose what warzones you can and can't queue for.

2. Sometimes when you get into a warzone it only has a few minuites remaining and gives you no chance to do anything useful. Just ends up being a complete waste of time. Usally puts you into a game because some one saw their side was losing and quit out so it dumps you in their place. Not good!! :(

3. I think 3 to 5 a day wouldn't be a big ask or deal. I mean subscribers will still have priority over f2p players for the queue anyway. In one of my play sessions I usally only get 3 or 4 warzones in anyway. Much more than that you would probably be playing for the whole day and not many people I know have that kind of time to spend playing games. Even one as good as this!!

On closing I'd like to say a big thanks to the guys at Bioware for all the hard work on this AWESOME game. :)

p.s. Hey guys it's really disappointing to hear a lot of you ************ about what they didn't show you. They asked for some constructive criticism and ideas for future previews. This is only their first preview give them a chance. I'm sure they are doing the best they can with a lot fewer people to do the work after their wave of layoffs. :rak_04:

F2P are given choice of 3 races...I'm at the moment a subscriber, and I have a Sith Race Inquisitor. So if I drop my subscription (I couldn't give a bantha fart about warzones) I lose the ability to play my legacy sith race??

According to the restriction page, you will lose the ability to wear purple gear unless you purchase that ability and a whole selection of other things that you already have.

My worry is that things will get deleted between me dropping subscription and paying cartel coins to unlock what I want.

I'm tending to agree with most of the people here that 3 warzones a week is a very bad idea.

I still don't get why people are only focusing on warzones :/ it seems like that is the only problem for the f2p transaction... I'm waiting for an answer about my first post 'cause I think it's TOP PRIORITY to understand what happens to everything we actually have and use (cargo hold? no one uses it? crew skills? species? seems like no one with a chiss or a sith pureblood wants to know if he'll be able to play it in f2p...)

I understand that lot of you are more focused on pvp but, fortunately, the game offers something else and I don't think pvpers doesn't use anything of what I've mentioned before or something else like purple items, whose equipment will be restricted.

Let's say you're wearing equipment that a f2p user can't equip without that license. Would you be happy to log in and find out you're completely naked and you're forced to buy that license? At least you should be able to have the license for that items, then you're free to buy the other licences. Would you be happy to log in and find out you can't craft anything or retrieve materials because your account is F2P so the game locked or deleted 2 of your 3 crew skills? I think you'll be pissed off, but that is just my opinion... I think, as former subscribers, we shouldn't lose anything we had until the end of our subscriptions if we choose to play as f2p players rather than paying a new subscription and I haven't seen a single word from Bioware about this topic.

I also think that new players who subscribe for the first time after the f2p transaction should be "rewarded" in such a way. Maybe they should have to buy the game (it'll be fair, 'cause I've read that new f2p players will be able to play without buying anything) in order to have that features unlocked after the end of their subscription.

Btw I agree with anyone who says "3" is not enough. really, 3 flashpoints or warzones a week OR a WEEKLY pass? I'd like to know the price of this WEEKLY pass...

last thing: I'm not saying that a former subscriber should be able to play like a subscriber but for free, it's obviously unfair. so restrictions on the number of multiplayer events (flashpoints, warzones, operations) or even on space battles are welcomed... but there are some things that should be left untouched :)

EDIT:

My worry is that things will get deleted between me dropping subscription and paying cartel coins to unlock what I want.

I see I'm not the only one

Edited by RickyBOL

According to the restriction page, you will lose the ability to wear purple gear unless you purchase that ability and a whole selection of other things that you already have.

F2P doesn't mean End of the World you know:-) What happens to your characters when you drop your sub in ANY game? Nothing. You can't play with them anymore until you sub again. So why do you fear Bioware would do anything as stupid as to delete gear??

F2P doesn't mean End of the World you know:-) What happens to your characters when you drop your sub in ANY game? Nothing. You can't play with them anymore until you sub again. So why do you fear Bioware would do anything as stupid as to delete gear??

I tend to trust only what I see and read. You can't blame someone for doing something you SUPPOSED he shouldn't do :)

Edited by RickyBOL

Okay, one thing I -hope- to not have happen, is that I won't be able to play my -main- Sith Pureblood, once I stop subscribing. Frankly, I don't want to lose access to my main and it would be quite annoying otherwise. I could give a rat's *** about warzones, but I'm mainly concerned with what I can do.

I'd rather have them create a middle party, for people that once were subscribers, that possibly allowed people with those species to play them if they already have them. And possibly give them more benefits than 'normal' F2P players, because they did in-fact pay them to play, either way. Not asking for anything generous, just maybe a bit more freedom with that.

looks good. But as a paying subscriber, why are you giving the f2p people only 3 warzones per week???????? This shouldn't even be on the table, either unlimited or a high number, i want these people to increase the number of warzones running on the servers especially in off peek, 3 warzones is nothing, it's just nothing, what if they get in a warzone that has 1 minute left. End of story that number most rise or the whole of the internet will lash out on swtor again.

You just have to increase that number. If you want to give the a taste.

What was originally said by swtor is that F2P till 50, subscribers new Planet and higher level cap. In this video subscribers are still 50. The margin between F2P and Subscribers grows shorter the longer this idea is in production, the rush of the production is my guess as to why the margin is being shortened. I think it is a bad misconception on Bioware's end to believe the F2P should take higher priority over the new planet and lvl cap for subscribers. The release should be the same as to not lose more customers so that the subscribing community doesn't feel that Bioware is putting them on back burner. Good way to lose more subscribers......

^this

Edited by Zovyn