Prepare to be farmed: Cap ships in TDM no longer fire at enemies

ptwonline

A problem exists one way or the other. What I think really should have been done would be to turn the capital ships into exhaustion zone. Enemy ships would still die to the cap ship lasers and you couldn't camp there waiting for your cap ship to get your kills for you. Just my 2c.

Someone will always find their way around the system, but the way it is, there is no perfect solution. We need to stop pretending there is (even myself with my 2c suggestion) and be happy that we even get upgrades for a game that was saved by F2P. >>> O hhhhhh, I don't mean to start up this ol' debate <<<

Thank you for getting it and reply to it with a good counter response.:D

Your way does make better sense cause it doesn't make the capital ships useless or pointless.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A problem exists one way or the other. What I think really should have been done would be to turn the capital ships into exhaustion zone. Enemy ships would still die to the cap ship lasers and you couldn't camp there waiting for your cap ship to get your kills for you. Just my 2c. <<<

This is a good idea. I would add no more than a 10 second warning countdown after spawning before exhaustion starts. No warning if returning to cap ship after spawn though.

The exhaustion zone area must extend to the max range of the cap ship turrets and no further. This would do away with any gaps that either side could take advantage of.

Just some thoughts................bob

wouldn't it have been enough to lower the turrets damage by 50% (60, 70 - whatever)?

so on a onesided match or if the opposing team hid there you could get in, shoot at the enemy and get back out.

would require skill and a bit of luck but would have been better than no turrets at all

and still spawning players would have had some protection.

removing the spawn protection because some a**clowns exploited it, is a weak solution that will only see newbies farmed harder, the exploiters will find something else.

If this is a short term solution while they work on a better long term solution, I think it's fine. Two spawn points won't stop all spawn camping, as good teams will still be able to cover both, but it'll be a rare team that can do so effectively. The turret tactics used in TDM are a more immediate problem than Domination, so it make sense to patch it for now. (Like I said, so long as they are working on a better long term solution.)

I think the better long term solution would be protected spawn areas you can't re-enter like ground PvP instances have. Although I don't have a problem with people using them for cover so long as the mechanics work that way (it's PvP, so use what you have) I really don't like any "safe retreat" zone existing in a PvP instance.

I initially thought that GSF was going to have this PVP feature. You get ejected out of the spawn area with no go-backs. This should be implemented as well in GSF.

I'm sorry, but you don't understand why I'm complaining about this. Capital ships won't get kills except against the inexperienced or the stupid, who were going to get farmed to begin with but could at least get a chance to try and fight and get better.

The new changes increase the likelihood that these players will get farmed at a much faster rate than before, and won't re-queue to get better. Losing matches isn't a problem, but a large number of people losing matches in a stupid and repetitive way is just going to lead to frustration and less q pops.

Agreed. At least with the capital ship turrets if you were loosing badly they kept things from getting even worse.

But it is PvP... if you don't want to die... don't queue. If you queue, participate.

Now having said that, I don't want one team to be able to pick off people as they spawn (or worse yet, mine the area).

Spawn in an exhaustion zone with 10-15 seconds of immunity to exhaustion damage.

The team that was getting pushed back to their cap ship was ALREADY getting farmed. The only thing they did by sitting in the protection of the cap ship was prolong a lopsided match.

While I don't think this is a good long term fix, at least we can end those matches quicker. Also if I feel so inclined I can chase those gunships all the way back to their ship and finish them off without fear of the insta-death.

EDIT: They could extend the exhaustion area to the immediate area around the cap ship so the enemy can't sit behind where you spawn and shoot you from behind. That would be really annoying.

Anything that discourages Gunship stacking is a good thing. TDM+overpowered cap ship turrets=tons of cheese.

One thing that was starting to be seen (and its been posted in the GSF forums previously) was in a close fight one team would get ahead and camp their spawn running out the clock and using the cover of the cap ship so the other team could not catch up. This is the biggest reason the cannons were removed. Personally I felt that they should handle it aircraft carrier style and if you lead fighters out of the engagement area towards your carrier you should be shot down. Rethinking that however changed my mind and honestly I hope the fix for all GSF matches is an exhaustion zone with a 20 sec buff when you launch to get out of said zone near the cap ship.

A potentially better change would have been removing the capital ships and having 4-6 spawn points spread on the map. Without capital ships present it can be hard to guage your bearings and push towards spawn points, and with more spawn points, it reduces the potential to spawn camp.

Maybe even switching spawn locations periodically between Republic and Empire so that suddenly your enemy can spawn behind you could help alleviate spawn camping and add a new angle to TDM

I agree 1000 percent

After playing some matches without the guns, I can tell you the problem with the ideas of different spawn locations: it makes the outmatched side virtually impossible to coordinate and act together.

When you respawn now you have no idea who else will respawn, when, or where. So what do you do? You look for the nearest allies. Problem: those allies are probably outnumbered already (since your geting killed) and so you end up going one by one to get outmatched.

What used to happen was that people would respawn at the same point, knowing that others would too and that you would have some cover from the guns to organize and go forth together. Even if you were outmatched it gave you a CHANCE to fight back a bit. You can't do that now. You're on the defensive and outmatched at all times if you're the lesser side, and I can tell it's a MASSIVE psychological difference, and it's downright depressing.

Even when I'm on the dominant side it's depressing because you're fighting these guys who have no chance.

This needs to be changed soon. I'm not 100% sure whaty the best solution is, but I do know that the current solution is far worse than the problem it was supposed to solve. I'm not sure I could go anothre single day playing things as they are right now. The games are too lopsided. Unles you happen to queue on the same side as premades, this game is essentially dead for the solo queuers.

Edited by ptwonline

When you respawn now you have no idea who else will respawn, when, or where. So what do you do? You look for the nearest allies. Problem: those allies are probably outnumbered already (since your geting killed) and so you end up going one by one to get outmatched.

Try waiting if it's such an issue.

Try waiting if it's such an issue.

For what? For some other ships to spawn while other respawners also spawn elsewhere? Giving time for the enemy gunships to encircle the respawners?

It's ridiculous right now. Attackers stay clumped into central groups that can outnumber their opponents and quickly shift to reinforce each other while the outmatched group comes in small groups from different directions and get creamed. They have no chance. If they try to group up they are an easy target for the large, organized enemy force. I've seen it from both sides the past 2 days, and it's bad enough that I'm seriously thinking of quitting.

Edited by ptwonline

For what? For some other ships to spawn while other respawners also spawn elsewhere? Giving time for the enemy gunships to encircle the respawners?

It's ridiculous right now. Attackers stay clumped into central groups that can outnumber their opponents and quickly shift to reinforce each other while the outmatched group comes in small groups from different directions and get creamed. They have no chance. If they try to group up they are an easy target for the large, organized enemy force. I've seen it from both sides the past 2 days, and it's bad enough that I'm seriously thinking of quitting.

I don't want to say anything that makes you feel like quitting. I hope you figure out a way to change it up and get out of those situations without the frustrations.

I don't want to say anything that makes you feel like quitting. I hope you figure out a way to change it up and get out of those situations without the frustrations.

The only solution I see atm is for lesser pilots to quit en masse so that it will only be teams of experienced vs experienced. THat won't actually fix the issue since the problem is systemic, but they'd have SOME chance to fight back.

A decent matchmaking system would work too, but I'm not sure I will play this game long enough to see THAT day.

Edited by ptwonline