Review of The Mandalorian

Seelvir

A non-spoiler review of the first episode, for people wondering if they should invest in Disney Plus.

I'd say wait, personally. Looks like they're doing one episode a week, or something. It's not like WOW AMAZING. It's not like "you gotta see this now!" It's more like, wait a few months, and then when the entire series is available, sub for a month, binge, cancel.

That's if the only reason you'd consider D+ is for The Mandalorian. If you want D+ for other reasons, then cool. But if it's just Star Wars you want ... eh ... wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 3: The Sin.

When seeing the heavy armored Mando (who is named Paz Viizla), did anybody else wonder if SWTOR could have been an influence?

I know there are tons of other source material for SW armors but his armor just had such a SWTOR vibe to it.

The show is clearly influenced by the expanded universe, and by SWTOR. I think it amazingly good. It's also amazing subtle. It has all the classic influences that have found their way into star wars.

And, it is also art house. And a showcase of very subtle and amazingly good special effects both in camera and post production CGI. Seamless by any practical measure

I'm no kid. I'm well into my 60's now. It is not normal television, or movie making, or mini series or serial. Yet it is all of those. There is depth to it, but you have to look and find the depth. It's not handed to you on a platter like so much of the mass media we see and consume. It is meant to be savored a bite at a time.. not as a binge watch.

Is it worth the price of Disney plus? That is your call to make. I will not advise you one way or the other. I can not.

I refuse to allow myself that level of hubris.

I am not even going to venture a guess where the story is going to be going, but there hints of an epic and lore important story being told about the Mandalorians. And the way it is told is also part of the story. Everything points to seeing it 'sode by sode, with time between each viewing being of great importance.

It feel like sitting around the campfire as the elders tell you the story of the people Those who have heard it sit back in the shadows quietly marking those that listen.

It really does feel like something quite special.

i totally disagree with the "binge" mentality. how can you call yourself a true star wars fan if you just want to sit for 7-8 hours and watch a series and be done with it? i'm enjoying the living **** out of this show and im watching each episode 3-4 times before the next one comes out.

it's an american western set in space, literally what i've been begging for since becoming a fan. not everything has to be about lightsabers and a skywalker.

so, in my opinion, it absolutely is worth subbing to disney+ for the show, and for all the other star wars content. got kids? you're stupid to not have this channel then. i myself have already gotten plenty of mileage out of this channel. my wife has found old disney shows she watched as a teen on there and has been watching them. my kids love all the other cartoons.

I know there are tons of other source material for SW armors but his armor just had such a SWTOR vibe to it.

lol absolutely! i've even dubbed him in my head as the Mando Commando, or Commandalorian

Edited by Volcinar

After first 2 episodes i was not impressed, and i don't really care if i miss other episodes. But unless we de-canonize Episode 7, Mandalorian is propably best Disney era Star Wars film or show (i have not seen all the latest episodes of Rebels, i did not like most of the episodes at all)

There was nothing that i hated, so from me that is big endorsement. I mean i don't like at all how dull the planets and enviroment are, but i feel its little too early to judge yet and one of them was Tatooine which i can forgive, there is easily enough room for 1 desert planet in the galaxy.

We still have 5 more episodes. The show can still go woke.

While true, I'm not too concerned at this point. Filoni managed to keep TCW and Rebels free of that nonsense and his influence is all over this show.

Overall, I'm growing increasingly concerned at the lack of character development. We are getting details on our mando friend in little dribbles, and it's starting to get annoying.

Also concerning to me is the lack of real secondary character development. We've had some good "guest" characters (Mr. "I have spoken") but no companions or regular contacts (not really counting the armourer or the baby you-know-what) or anything.

• 3 weeks later...