Boarding Party Hardmode Last Boss

Yep, another thread about this :p But not so much a complaint, as an enquiry.

I just did this, and I have to say - it was mental. Most of the group was well geared, mix of columni and other epics and 1 or 2 rakata. Apart from the tank (me) who's basically got entry level blues and customs avg rating 114 or something.

We tried the normal tactics, and certain variations - killing healer first, or killing Massey first. And we got like half way - till Jorland enrages and he screwed us over.

We eventually did it, but sort of by cheating in a way :p I tanked healer and Jorland, interrupting heals while dps burned Massey.

Then as soon as shield was off, I began running. DPS took the healer, and started killing, while I kited jorland, around the WHOLE map. I mean literally all the way back to the circular room. I was running for a long time.

The rest of the group killed the healer by dpsing, certain members dying, and then ressing and running back to join the fight again until Healer died.

They then ran back to me at the circle room - and I just kept running circles, while the dps just did a couple of thousand dmg as i ran past, and healer topped me off. we EVENTUALLY killed the guy, and Im not joking it took like 20mins.

Im actually so so GLAD that Jorland didnt have a hard-enrage timer :p or we'd be screwed.

My question is - seriously how is this fight meant to be done? And why couldnt we do it the proper way? Do we suck, did I (tank) lack gear?

Nonetheless I should say - it was the most fun I've ever had on this game :p Although slightly cheating - actually felt it to be a very creative way of getting around the game mechanics XD

If your DPS are Columi/Rakata-geared and you still hit the enrage-timer at 50% of Jorland your DPS is as bad as it gets to be honest.

Our tactics for this encounter:

Tank tanks all of them(only taunting Jorland), me and the other DPS zerg down the healer(ALWAYS interrupt his Restorative Scan).

After that kill Massey and Jorland is straight forward after that.

Heal and DPS standing rather close together so the AoE-heal affects us(mostly Merc-heal), Jorland's rockets aren't that bad in their current state, they were a lot worse in January when they dealt 7-8k per hit.

oddly enough over the last two days I have been in two separate pug groups, all with similar gear (some tionese and columi) and we zerg down Jorland first...interrupting his knockback. Then we kill Massey....everyone is up for the healer at the end. The healing is intense early but we had everyone pop all their class defensive cds and medpack and we're all at around 70% hp or better when Jorland goes down. A player in my group said Jorland couldn't be dps'd first but after some convincing we went with this strat. We found the healer doesn't heal often enough for it to be an issue. Just wanted to put this out there for people experiencing frustration on this boss. Try it once...it might work for your group.

we had:

op heals

Jugg tank

Assassin dps (me)

Marauder dps

Edited by Jaryyn

My question is - seriously how is this fight meant to be done? And why couldnt we do it the proper way? Do we suck, did I (tank) lack gear?

From what you described, the DPS sucks. Though it is possible that you somehow contribute to their sucking. For example, if you stood too close to the boss, leading to him using his knockback, causing melee dps to get knocked away from the healer, that would be your bad. If you took so much damage that a dps had to shift to healing instead of DPS'ing, that'd also be bad.

Ideally, you should be beating on the healer as well, having used AoEs to get aggro from the boss and using taunt when possible to get the chief on you. And once the healer is down, the group should bunch up, far enough away from the main boss that he won't knock back. By bunching up when beating on Massey, he won't run from place to place, which would lower melee dps. And once he is down, then you just need to finish the boss.

It's quite easy if you maximize dps by giving the guy on the left not much room to move around, but still, columi/rakata gear should never need this, something went wrong there.

Just have your group stay as close together as possible without grenade damage spreading, build some aggro on the guy in the middle and the healer, and then go pound away on the guy on the left.

You want to have enough aggro on the guy in the middle so that you can stay on the guy on the left until he's dead.

And never ever pull him back into the middle, you'll eat knockbacks there, just taunt him away from whoever he jumped on and stay with your group to maximize dps.

After that, healer(interrupts!) -> middle.

I just did this yesterday with 3 semi fresh 50s, 2 BHs that really don't have heat management under control yet. I was able to just heal through the enrage for about 30s. The DPS was fine under AoE healing and DoTing while I focused on the tank. Its not nearly as bad as I remember it a month ago.

Did this last night with a fresh 50 Dps(sin) and Healer(merc), our raid Tank(jug) and myself(sorc) respecced into DPS using my offset. We burned the healer first with assigned interrupt rotations. Tank saber throw for the pull followed by a charge interrupting the 1st heal, I got the 2nd, Sin got the 3rd, let the 4th go so the Tank could get his large heal /repeat. You could have the Healer get the 4th if damage is light and he/she is fast enough. The Tank unloaded on the npc that generates the shield for hate then helped with the healer npc. hence why the tank is last on the interrupt rotation. We rolled offensive CDs/Relics against the Healer, used whatever CDs/medpacks/Relics up for the shield generating Npc.

If you are hitting the enrage timer but have killed the 2 goons try having your tank save CDs for the enrage. Also dont interrupt his channeled attacks during the enrage. Both are easier to heal and you at least have 5 seconds of him not tossing grenades? at anyone.

Hope this helps

We were doing this fight in oranges and blues before they nerfed it (they used to be champions, they're just elites now). Yes, it's probably the toughest of the boss encounters in any of the FP HM, which isn't really saying much.

Back when gear was an issue, we'd have the tank pull Jorland up the stairs leading into the bridge and getting just out of range of us. I believe he stops grenading when he just has the tank on him like this .... all I know is that, as the healer, the tank seemingly could live forever up there. When the tank was low on HP or just wanted his shield back, he'd come forward a bit and I'd heal/shield him. In the meantime, DPS burned the healer. You *MUST* interrupt healing PROBE .. you can let every other spell go by, just be sure to get that one. Once medic died, we'd all run up to join the tank on the balcony and zerg down JORLAND. Yes, while shielded. His shield, while doing some reflect damage nerfs his grenade damage, too and back when gear was an issue it was that enraged grenade damage that would kill us. So, burn Jorland 2nd and Massey last. Massey is a panzy .. even enraged it's trivial to heal through.

Now that gear is not an issue ... we just burn medic->massey->jorland. I ask the ranged to stand close enough to the tank so I can healing circle everyone. It goes fast and easy.

Doing my daily last week, I had a group of all fresh 50's. We wiped on this fight as they enraged before Massey while Massey was still like 40% and I couldn't keep up the healing through enraged unshielded grenades. I suggested the above strat and we won! hurray!

I don't know why people have so much trouble with this boss. We did this the other night and cleared it on our first try.

None of us even have any Tionese gear or anything. In fact the take and my self just have regular level 48-50 gear. The healer has some t1 PVP gear and other DPS has 5 or so pieces of t2 PVP gear.

We hit the enrage timer on Jorland but we only had like 5% health left. None of us died.

We didn't do the kiting method some people try, we just treated it like a tank and spank.. Burned down the healer, then the guy casting a shield on Jorland, then handled the boss. Was fairly easy.

i did that with:

MARAUDER DPS

COMPANION (ASHARA)

SORC HEALER (ME)

ASSASSIN TANK

BOSS - HEALER - MESSAY

if your unable to interrupt dont even try... if your able to just interrupt the medic

and its so easy.

Edited by HellFlame

We were doing this fight in oranges and blues before they nerfed it (they used to be champions, they're just elites now). Yes, it's probably the toughest of the boss encounters in any of the FP HM, which isn't really saying much.

Nah, that's D7's final boss ;)

But yeah, most bosses check only a single thing, DPS usually. This one requires a certain level of DPS and healing.

Normally, we just kill Alon(healer) then kill Commander Jorland with his bubble up, and finally we switch to Massey. Jorland's shield is not that bad and it prevents him from doing uber damage with his grenades. You can even throw the tank on Alon for interrupts and have everyone kill Jorland first, this also works pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...

We downed them just a bit ago with:

Sorcerer heals (me)

Operative DPS

Mercenary DPS

Juggernaut Tank.

Massey -> Chief -> Jorland was our order.

Jorland hit his enrage around 40%, we just barely managed to survive.

We were having some difficulty with the Chief running off when the tank didn't have a taunt up to get him back, so we let him run free, kiting him whenever possible.

Hardest fight I've healed yet, but it was only my first hard-mode.

Edited by Thorkir

i always have a bh pull jorland to the top of the platform and then run to the bottom of the steps to dps him, the tank and other dps are on massey and the healer (focusing the healer) back where they start.. im healing somewhere in the middle... the bh usually drops jorland all by himself about the same time the healer drops.. gg easy loot

The encounter can be done in any order really. I hate to say it but the encounter is very simple. Burn one target, rinse repeat. The only thing any order does is remove a certain annoyance from the equation during the beginning of the encounter.

• Don't like splash damage? Kill rocket guy first.
  • Tank doesn't like keeping track of threat on multiple targets? Kill the melee first.
  • Afraid of one negligible unimpressive healing ability? Kill the healer first.

After the first one dies, the rest is easy.