Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

invertedknife

Good to hear you guys are listening.

If only you'd do that about PvP :<

Geezus...be careful what you wish for. They admit trying to sell story content in the store because it wasn't "P2W", just wait until they sell WZ's in the store and claim the same thing. Their claim that the CM would try to be "cosmetic" only is obviously over...I'm just waiting to see what the next "test" is...

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and bioware is hoping that you get the message they're sending you.

which is obviously that they want new content to be released through the cartel market, preferably through gambling packs so a single purchase within the monthly allotment limits may not be enough. for whatever reason, there are apparently no longer enough subscribers to keep the lights on and servers running at bioware.

Really? Because I don't seem them sending that message.

I see them saying, "We really don't know where the line is. We will push you and push you until you hit the line and attack us. We want to make as much money as possible, but we also don't want to piss off the majority of players who want the game to succeed."

This was the perfect example. 4 little cubes that are the equivalent of a lore item. Something that small received MASSIVE backlash. I doubt we will see them add something like a full questline, FP, WZ, OP or such into the CM. Especially after this.

Key words are "not gameplay impacting" and "(avoiding pay-to-win, etc.)". Eric said those things, and the Eric gets to define them. We could apply what we think those phrases mean, but that ultimately isn't our call to make.

Here's my fear: a new flashpoint, that offers the same gear as other existing flashpoints, may not be considered "gameplay impacting" by the devs.

So a new flashpoint could be offered on the Cartel Market, random packs or straight-up purchase. Anything gotten from that flashpoint can be gotten from another flashpoint, so it's not pay-to-win and it may not be "gameplay impacting".

The new flashpoint may have a new story, but this whole occurrence has just prooved that "story" is now considered something that can be put on the Cartel Market.

If "story" is just considered fluff (since it doesn't affect gameplay), what's to stop future flashpoints or class/companion stories from being Cartel Market exclusive?

I could see there being an issue with Operations because Operations have lockouts and an extra operation would mean more opportunity for gear beyond the TfB/S&V weekly lockouts.

These are just my concerns since all we have to go on are phrases which are open to interpretation. Seems like many people assume that <what is said> means what they want. The past has taught us that with this game (and really whenever dealing with a business) always find the interpretation that lets the business do the least amount of work for the most amount of your money.

Exactly what I was think'in.

I see them saying, "We really don't know where the line is. We will push you and push you until you hit the line and attack us. We want to make as much money as possible, but we also don't want to piss off the majority of players who want the game to succeed."

This was the perfect example. 4 little cubes that are the equivalent of a lore item. Something that small received MASSIVE backlash. I doubt we will see them add something like a full questline, FP, WZ, OP or such into the CM. Especially after this.

Yeah, no. That's not what I hear...I hear "We'll push you and push you and then cross the line, vow not to do it again, but we'll cross another soon after. The human memory is short and we're banking on that".

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

That's too bad. Was hoping that this would be a way to get more companion interaction into the game. Just have a feeling that that was the only way to get new content at a somewhat decent pace. Between waiting five year for a update or more frequent ones in packs I would happily go with the packs. It is very nice to know that a sub gets everything. If subbing will get me the content that I wish to see anytime soon is another question. Very sad to see that this way of adding content is removed.

Edited by SilentKitty

i'm not so sure you're aware of their development schedule, so i'm going to go ahead and put it here so you can see what they've done since f2p. you may notice that content gets a bit slim as we get closer to present day. while the release of cartel market updates tends to become a bit less frequent, they don't go away like content does.

11/15/12

1.5. f2p. HK gave us a new companion plus a new story. we also got nightmare mode for EC and dreadtooth.

12 days, 11/27, 1.5.1, cartel market update

7 days, 12/4, 1.5.2, cartel market update

7 days later,

12/11/12

1.6. ancient hypergate. new warzone (persistent content, repeatable, good stuff). grade 7 starship. remember the p2w comments? didn't take long to cross that line.

7 days, 12/18, 1.6.1, cartel market update

21 days (new years holidays), 1/8, 1.6.2, cartel market update

15 days , 1/23, 1.6.3, cartel market update

20 days later

2/12/13

1.7. gree. it's fun, new content, new story and everything. this one isn't persistent though, so we get to play it when it's re-released every couple months. also reputation, which is neat but not really playable content (and for some of us, makes the bit where we have to pay extra to consolidate onto a single server a little worse)

15 days, 2/27, 1.7.1, cartel market update

13 days, 3/12, 1.7.2, cartel market update

28 days later,

4/9/13

2.0 RotHC. paid expansion. increases the level cap, so that free to 50 isn't quite so enticing. S&V; have to be 55, so it's not exactly free to subscribers unless they pay extra for the expansion. seeker droid and macrobinoculars are lvl restricted to, 52 and 53 i think, so also not free to subscribers or f2p.

15 days, 4/24, 2.0.1, cartel market update

20 days later,

5/14/13

2.1, cartel market update

16 days, 5/30, 2.1.1, cartel market update

13 days later,

6/12/13

2.2, nightmare mode TfB. remember 1.5, when NiM came with new companions and new story and new bosses?

13 days, 6/25, 2.2.1, cartel market update

feel free to repost that.

they know where the line is. jeff hickman said here:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.

they just don't care anymore. i really don't think they're concerned about pissing off the majority of their players either. they still haven't explained why their server transfers ignore long-time players, ignore NA-EU transfer, and ignore legacies.

Edited by curtkram

• Dev Post

One thing I did want to clarify. The Encrypted Datcubes that were in the last pack were a part of a series. The rest of that series will be in the next pack that is released, so you will see one more round of the Datacubes. However, we do not plan to make them and place them in other packs in the future. You just have one more pack of what we had already created. I just didn't want you guys to be concerned when you saw a few more of them in the next pack.

Thanks!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Yeah, no. That's not what I hear...I hear "We'll push you and push you and then cross the line, vow not to do it again, but we'll cross another soon after. The human memory is short and we're banking on that".

That's almost exactly how I read Eric's post.

As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.

ROFL!

I don't even know where to start with this garbage response.

Do I expect to get stuff for free? No, I pay a sub. I expect to get new content included in that, expansion are an exception. I would not mind if the sub went up a little due to inflation, all things do.

Business have to make money. Duh, that why I pay them a subscription.

You can buy them cheap off the GTN! Yeah but someone still has to buy them with CC so it give them impression that ppl are willing to pay for them. Story content should be included in the price of our sub, expansions are a different matter.

Because of ppl like me ppl like you miss out! Because of ppl like me you won't have to buy story content on the CM. Well atleast not for a little while longer anyway.

If they added a FP to the CM with exact same gear as the current FP's, why would anyone buy it? They'd have to make it faster to complete, drop more gear, etc. for it to be worth buying. But, for example if the FP dropped 3x as much gear as the normal ones, people could gear faster. Even though it's the same gear as what's currently available through normal means, this would allow you to pay money and get gear at a rate beyond what is feasible for non-CM means, therefore making it 'pay 2 win.' Therefore I don't think BW is going to be adding such things to CM.

If they added a FP to the CM with exact same gear as the current FP's, why would anyone buy it? They'd have to make it faster to complete, drop more gear, etc. for it to be worth buying. But, for example if the FP dropped 3x as much gear as the normal ones, people could gear faster. Even though it's the same gear as what's currently available through normal means, this would allow you to pay money and get gear at a rate beyond what is feasible for non-CM means, therefore making it 'pay 2 win.' Therefore I don't think BW is going to be adding such things to CM.

Lets hope they have given up on putting anything other than fluff in the CM. what I want to know is when we will start seeing the 'love' for subs that they promised after the 2.1 patch debacle?

Lets hope they have given up on putting anything other than fluff in the CM. what I want to know is when we will start seeing the 'love' for subs that they promised after the 2.1 patch debacle?

I too remeber them saying that, I think a loyalty program would be nice if they actual make nice rewards in it.:D

I too remeber them saying that, I think a loyalty program would be nice if they actual make nice rewards in it.:D

When they announced them it was that around the fourth of July, subscribers will receive a benefit exclusive to them, and then another at the end of July.

I have not heard anything about the schedule changing.

One thing I did want to clarify. The Encrypted Datcubes that were in the last pack were a part of a series. The rest of that series will be in the next pack that is released, so you will see one more round of the Datacubes. However, we do not plan to make them and place them in other packs in the future. You just have one more pack of what we had already created. I just didn't want you guys to be concerned when you saw a few more of them in the next pack.

Thanks!

-eric

lol.

thx for your concern though. :)

Your assumption is that people only do FPs for gearing up and not for the fun of them. I expect there are people out there who would enjoy a new FP because it was new and different and not be put off because it didn't provide a gear advantage over other FP.

That is purely speculative. There was more than enough time between RotHC and now for them to create that.

And as far as 'on the same level as Companion quests?' Ya, the bottom most level. I love talking to my companions, but when the quest to talk to them is nothing more than like 5 lines of dialogue from them and I have no response, it's a bit underwhelming. Actually, some might argue that the datacube scenes are less than the bottom level of a comp quest because it's not personal.

and that does not worry you that they would make story just for packs? and honestly i dont think that was made after the "expansion", seriously just no, i think they are yes on the same level as some companion quests, and sure as hell i do not want to see that kind of companion quest on the CM, because to me its heavy lore and its content, if you put all the cubes, it is Relevant story(lets call that the Shrouds personal datalog), and when i compare they to the companions quests, i mean that its someone giving you insigh on some story or their personal view on something, i just hope it NEVER happens again.

Thanks!

-eric

what? i was under the impression that you guys would simple get them into the game by other means, i guess that in the end, i feel that they dont really care about us, if they did, this would be reversed and those cubes would find their way into the game and not cartel packs.

Edited by Sohaim

what? i was under the impression that you guys would simple get them into the game by other means, i guess that in the end, i feel that they dont really care about us, if they did, this would be reversed and those cubes would find their way into the game and not cartel packs.

There is no reason they have to be released in cartel packs again, assuming they don't want them to be. We sure don't.

I am starting to feel like a battered wife, coming back after he promises he wont hit me any more. You know, until next time that is.

No where. Subs aren't paying 15 dollars a month for access to stories in books/comic series. They're paying for access to story content in the game.

Well some people want to point out that:

The significance doesn't matter at all. Why do people keep saying it's not important? We don't care, not even the most marginal part of the story should be on CM.

My question is the same, why is the "most marginal part of the story" more important than the parts of the story that set up the reasons for our quests and adventures in the first place? What makes the CM so much different than a bookstore or comic shop? Because it's IN the game? A retailer is a retailer. Access to most is just a click of a browser away. It's a pretty weak argument.

And by Eric's post, they either changed their mind as to the CM being cosmetic to non-gameplay impacting, or they just consider the story a waste of time now.

I'll bet it's the later. The little bit of fun they had in doing them is FAR overshadowed by this over-reactionary response. We are effectively the mean old neighbor lady who keeps any toy that happens to land in her yard. Eventually, the kids just stop playing so they don't lose any more of their toys.

what? that makes no sense, why are you bringing comics into this? the Shroud is related to our characters, and its part of Makeb story, as far as i know the story here centers of 8 classes, so why we would not get story that's related to them? your argument makes no sense, the Comic talk about other stories no? with other protagonist no? or do they have the Jedi Knight, Consular, Smuggler, Trooper, Sith Warrior, Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter and Agent in it?

They are stories of the characters we interact with. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, T7-O1, Darth Angral, Revan, the Sith Emperor, Lord Scourge, Darth Marr, Jace Malcom, Darth Baras, Bounty hunter Braden, Jedi Master Orgus Din, Darth Thanaton, Jedi Master Syo Bakarn, Jedi Master Bela Kiwiiks, Jedi Master Jaric Kaedan, and many of our support characters. These datacubes offer no interaction, they are just some guy who is narrating background information. The books and comics also narrate background information about the people and events that we have to react to in our storylines. So how does it not makes sense? You should probably read up on those on Wookieepedia. That is why I provided the links for you to look at and see how they affect our story. :cool:

There is no reason they have to be released in cartel packs again, assuming they don't want them to be. We sure don't.

I am starting to feel like a battered wife, coming back after he promises he wont hit me any more. You know, until next time that is.

Then I have to ask what are your qualifications that lead you to this conclusion?

Edited by Thylbanus

My question is the same, why is the "most marginal part of the story" more important than the parts of the story that set up the reasons for our quests and adventures in the first place? What makes the CM so much different than a bookstore or comic shop? Because it's IN the game? A retailer is a retailer. Access to most is just a click of a browser away. It's a pretty weak argument.

I'll bet it's the later. The little bit of fun they had in doing them is FAR overshadowed by this over-reactionary response. We are effectively the mean old neighbor lady who keeps any toy that happens to land in her yard. Eventually, the kids just stop playing so they don't lose any more of their toys.

They are stories of the characters we interact with. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, T7-O1, Darth Angral, Revan, the Sith Emperor, Lord Scourge, Darth Marr, Jace Malcom, Darth Baras, Bounty hunter Braden, Jedi Master Orgus Din, Darth Thanaton, Jedi Master Syo Bakarn, Jedi Master Bela Kiwiiks, Jedi Master Jaric Kaedan, and many of our support characters. These datacubes offer no interaction, they are just some guy who is narrating background information. The books and comics also narrate background information about the people and events that we have to react to in our storylines. So how does it not makes sense? You should probably read up on those on Wookieepedia. That is why I provided the links for you to look at and see how they affect our story. :cool:

Then I have to ask what are your qualifications that lead you to this conclusion?

I don't know why you keep pushing that comic book/novel thing. It is not in-game. In-game content is supposed to come with the subscription. Datacubes are in-game content. More than that, they're story content. The Cartel Market is supposed to provide cosmetics. The fact that they've changed the definition of the Cartel Market is of great concern, as it disrupts 25% of the game. The story is why a lot of people came to it in the first place. It's why I came to it. We aren't the mean old lady. We are the consumer showing concern over a product that is not working as we were told it would. But you want to talk about comics? Ok. You subscribe to a comic. 15 bucks a year. You get each issue. Each issue is full of new content that they don't charge extra for. New artwork, new villains, continuing story. We are paying $15/month and what you're saying is that the only thing we can expect is to read the same issue over and over again. That is not how subscriptions are supposed to be. THAT is the whole point of this fight.

Because to some, the only important part of the story is what the game offers, and having it locked into a RNG Pack just isn't acceptable when you put in factors like

"Subs will still get content free" Packs aren't free. You're paying CC for them, and anything you pay CC for isn't free, whether it's monthly stipend or not. And to even use the monthly stipend argument doesn't work, because you could save up for a year on free CC and still not obtain the story content, as it's in random packs and not a straight purchase with CC.

The little bit of fun they had could be used to have a little bit more fun with companion quests that would equal the same thing. You standing there listening to your companion speak. Seriously, what would you rather have, story content they gave in the datacubes that are obtained in RNG Packs, or more companion storylines?

And what makes you think they had fun doing those? They could of hated it or just did what the bosses told them to do.

Are you trying to say they have to be release in cartel packs? So your saying that they couldn't just add them as a drop to some ops/fp boss rewards, or even as something you can buy for say 50 basic coms?

My qualification would be common sense.

Did you not read the response from Eric stating that they did this in order to test the waters to see if they could get away with putting it into the market. That if it had been okay they then would of taken it a step farther and if that was still ok, keep pushing it to the point of subs having to buy every single piece of content thru the market?

Most people are not upset about this because its a tiny cs from a small cube, they are upset with it because if permitted it sets a precedent for more and more content to have to be bought above ones sub fee. Content that we were promised we would always have access to with no extra cost when f2p went live.

Edited by powpows

I'm a bit sad to see it go, and frankly, I don't see the issue with having small snippets of paid content floating around the game.

Some of you people have a fetish for serious overreacting; as soon as you don't get everything shoved up your earholes for free, you start pulling the "omg pay2win" whiner card.

I'm a bit sad to see it go, and frankly, I don't see the issue with having small snippets of paid content floating around the game.

Some of you people have a fetish for serious overreacting; as soon as you don't get everything shoved up your earholes for free, you start pulling the "omg pay2win" whiner card.

No one said "pay to win" and since we are already paying, nothing we get in the game is free.