A message to the PUG community.

UGLYMRJ

I don't understand why this is a pug vs premade issue, in my opinion it is very obviously a matchmaking issue. The game should strive to make the matches as balanced as possible. Yes it won't be perfect, if the imps have only 8 people from the top pvp guild queueing and teh reps have only 8 dudes who just dinged 50 on there first char in the queue then there will be a terribly unbalanced match, nothing anyone can do about it.

What the game should do though is try to have as few of those games as possible, and imo it would be really easy to improve on the current situation.

Yesterday i played around 20 games in a good 4man premade, and i knew there were at least 2 more rep and 2 imp premades running. We got 1 match each against the imps (which were awesome!) and 18 games vs pugs, one of them vs < 15k HP average, where our 4man got paired with another rep pvp guild 4man. They even stepped out of the way in our voidstar offense and i figure they were right, why waste anyones time, there was absolutely nothing they could have done to us.

Here's what league of legends recently introduced;

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3016615

Basically (among other things) they match by games won, on a diminishing returns curve (so, 20 wins is a lot more than 5, 3000 wins is not that different from 2000). They gave the matchmaker an extra 30 seconds for this

I am absolutely convinced that

a) this would make the games better

b) most people wouldn't mind waiting an extra minute

c) it can't be that complicated to implement

and this is just one small idea. If we could get away from the stupid premade vs pug discussion and instead start a how to match properly discussion we might come up with some better ideas, who knows...

edit: the matches against "pugs" may very well have been against bad premades, who knows. point is that there were 5 pvp guilds running premades at the same time and we only got matched against one of them for 2 games out of 20

Edited by sanchito

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would absolutely love matchmaking. bioware needs to develop an algorithm that looks at individual performance. give players a rating based on that algorithm that only they can see, but use it to determine who they are more likely to face in PvP.

how to make the algorithm is tricky though. you cannot use medals, b/c some classes can just flat out pull more medals (i can pull 15 medals easy on my PT, pulling 12 on my merc used to be rare [that doesnt include game-speed medals]). i think an algorithm that looks at DPS, DPK (damage done per kill), HPS, heals per life, protection per life, damage taken per life, objective score per minute, maybe more. weigh the different attributes based on what each class role is, which should be easy-ish to do. look at each players skill point distribution, and which depending on how many points spent in a tree could increase/decrease the weight of certain factors in the algorithm.

for example, take a 27/1/13 tankassin. w/ more points into the tank tree, stats like protection per life and damage taken per life would carry more weight for determining their rating than DPS or DPK, and HPS and heals per life would be weighted to zero.

likewise (another example) a Merc spec'd 3/7/31 would have greater weight assigned to DPS and DPK, protection would be weighted to zero, heals would be weighted significantly lower but not cut out, etc.

with another algorithm, you could dynamically weight stats based on spec. meaning that spending 27 points in a tanking tree would weight tank-related stats a bit less than if you had spent a full 31 pts in a tanking tree. you want to make a hybrid build? using the aforementioned tankassin, tank stats would be weighted moderately heavy (but less than a full tank) and DPS stats would be weighted average (but less than a full DPS).

if i get really really really bored sometime, maybe i will try to come up with something

ps. you cant do non-rateds based on winning percentage. i mean you could, but then you have the likely situation that your rating is determined by the monkeys on your team, which nobody wants

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Sadly there's part of me that expects them to create a match making system on valor or expertise or some other broken way of doing it...

It's frustrating seeing the potential of a game that I really think could have been the next big MMO, slowly get demolished by the devs.

I can't describe how annoying it is that I expect them to do something stupid...

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Sadly there's part of me that expects them to create a match making system on valor or expertise or some other broken way of doing it...

It's frustrating seeing the potential of a game that I really think could have been the next big MMO, slowly get demolished by the devs.

The fact that I expect them to do something stupid bothers me the most....

I have the same fears or doubts. Why I'm kind of hoping they go with a KISS method at first and grow it from there, but I expect them to over complicate it

I can't describe how annoying it is that I expect them to do something stupid...

on a positive note, it's gonna be really really difficult for them to make it worse than it already is :cool:

I have the same fears or doubts. Why I'm kind of hoping they go with a KISS method at first and grow it from there, but I expect them to over complicate it

To fix the warzones Bioware will not let operatives, sorcerers or mercenaries queue for warzones! Sounds just like the resolve fix they installed.

Oh wow short honeymoon there,what did you go to DQ for a Frosty?

Oh wow short honeymoon there,what did you go to DQ for a Frosty?

Why are you forum stalking me creeper?

You say I'm not that good and then every time I make a post or comment there you are throwing around insults like a fat kid at recess. I must be good enough to get you angry enough to e-stalk me. Mission accomplished.

Honeymoon starts on Feb 22nd... want the address to the resort too, so you can send me hate mail ya weirdo?

Edited by UGLYMRJ

Why are you forum stalking me creeper?

You say I'm not that good and then every time I make a post or comment there you are throwing around insults like a fat kid at recess. I must be good enough to get you angry enough to e-stalk me. Mission accomplished.

Honeymoon starts on Feb 22nd... want the address to the resort too, so you can send me hate mail ya weirdo?

Lol must be getting under your skin eh?

Edit:Please share where i ever insulted you,looking at your post you are in fact insulting me,hmm.

Edited by Sathid

Lol must be getting under your skin eh?

You're the one stalking me... I don't even know who you are.

Who's under who's skin? ;)

Care to share your in game name so I can be sure to troll you harder? :D

I don't recommend it ;)

I am offensive and I find this pug.

Terrible troll attempt, take 1.

It is dumb isnt it,OP runs around with his smash and Marauders and claims he is good lol :D you really cant make it up and to top off it off makes this post.

It is dumb isnt it,OP runs around with his smash and Marauders and claims he is good lol :D you really cant make it up and to top off it off makes this post.

Wise of you to ignore my last message.... you'd soon be hating my entire guild. ;)

Funny thing is I only run smash on novarre and voidstar and most of the time I run carnage or even annihiation for regs. Not only that but I'm sure I could be just as annoying on my sorc or PT.

It's pretty entertaining to see how annoyed you are with me just because you were the victim of a smash team that just happened to group up. We had 4 warriors looking for a group in the guild and thought it would be funny. It was....

And you're making it all that much better. My theory is if I can annoy the hell outta someone enough to make them hate me or send me hate tells... I must be doing something right. Thanks for feeding the beast. He's always hungry. ;)

Wise of you to ignore my last message.... you'd soon be hating my entire guild. ;)

Funny thing is I only run smash on novarre and voidstar and most of the time I run carnage or even annihiation for regs. Not only that but I'm sure I could be just as annoying on my sorc or PT.

It's pretty entertaining to see how annoyed you are with me just because you were the victim of a smash team that just happened to group up. We had 4 warriors looking for a group in the guild and thought it would be funny. It was....

And you're making it all that much better. My theory is if I can annoy the hell outta someone enough to make them hate me or send me hate tells... I must be doing something right. Thanks for feeding the beast. He's always hungry. ;)

To be honest i have nothing personal against you,why you assume that i have no clue but your guild does run the FOTM classes exclusively,and hey that's ok too,play what you want yah know,but dont ever claim you are some top notch while running premades that way,i PUG almost 75% of the time and have seen you guys often enougth to where i know even somewhat good pugs can beat your four mans,matter of fact i sometimes never notice til late in a match that you guys are doing a premade,but that is often the case when you guys are seen.

To be honest i have nothing personal against you,why you assume that i have no clue but your guild does run the FOTM classes exclusively,and hey that's ok too,play what you want yah know,but dont ever claim you are some top notch while running premades that way,i PUG almost 75% of the time and have seen you guys often enougth to where i know even somewhat good pugs can beat your four mans,matter of fact i sometimes never notice til late in a match that you guys are doing a premade,but that is often the case when you guys are seen.

It's cute how you down play it... but we're obviously good enough that you noticed. ;)

It's rare that our guild isn't on top of the end game scoreboard. But whatever makes ya feel better.

It's cute how you down play it... but we're obviously good enough that you noticed. ;)

It's rare that our guild isn't on top of the end game scoreboard. But whatever makes ya feel better.

Yah ok i downplayed it,lol,and you better hope you and your guildmates are getting top scores most of the time against PUG's,otherwise i would be concerned for you guys.

I play almost entirely Repub,we often have a mix of commando's (Like a close friend that i sometimes group with) some people with a mix of Recruit gear and WH etc,so yah you better be hitting some numbers,but here's the catch,you guys dont always win,yup,i have helped in that L many times,i mean wouldnt it be boring to always win?

Edit:Oh wait,ok here yah,let's stoke that ego shall we?...OMG you and your guild are tops,we cant ever win and you guys wow you guys hit so hard.

That better?

Edited by Sathid

Believe it or not, reasonable people want a relatively closely balanced PVP game.

This means that when we queue as a pre-made, we're hoping to go *against* pre-mades. This is separate from RWZ - as RWZ requires a lot of commitment to do well.

And when we solo queue, we're hoping to go against other people who solo queue.

I don't think that's unreasonable or that it wouldn't benefit both sides to implement. The only people who hate that is people who are rolling pugs. And lets be honest, with the right group makeup and absent a similar makeup on the opponent side its very easy to roll pugs.

Edited by dcgregorya

Believe it or not, reasonable people want a relatively closely balanced PVP game.

This means that when we queue as a pre-made, we're hoping to go *against* pre-mades. This is separate from RWZ - as RWZ requires a lot of commitment to do well.

And when we solo queue, we're hoping to go against other people who solo queue.

I don't think that's unreasonable or that it wouldn't benefit both sides to implement. The only people who hate that is people who are rolling pugs. And lets be honest, with the right group makeup and absent a similar makeup on the opponent side its very easy to roll pugs.

UGLYMRJ and his cohorts think otherwise,that said i dont per say have too much against pre mades,they do make people better imo,but sometimes you get some real duds on your team and well,it turns into a slaugther because you just cant carry against a premade.

Yah ok i downplayed it,lol,and you better hope you and your guildmates are getting top scores most of the time against PUG's,otherwise i would be concerned for you guys.

I play almost entirely Repub,we often have a mix of commando's (Like a close friend that i sometimes group with) some people with a mix of Recruit gear and WH etc,so yah you better be hitting some numbers,but here's the catch,you guys dont always win,yup,i have helped in that L many times,i mean wouldnt it be boring to always win?

Edit:Oh wait,ok here yah,let's stoke that ego shall we?...OMG you and your guild are tops,we cant ever win and you guys wow you guys hit so hard.

That better?

There are plenty of guilds who aren't...

and like I've said a thousand times... I like competition and the randomness of regs. Not even MVP wins every game in regs with 4 man pre-mades. And that's what makes regs great IMO.

But the fact that you've been following me around forums all week and talking trash at every oppurtunity just makes me want to troll you. You have no idea how much I enjoy it and the smug attitude and insults just makes it that much more fun.

In fact.... you've inspired this... The TOS List.

Why I didn't think of this sooner... I have no idea. This list could be a 20 pages long by now.

And I'm sorry... I didn't catch your name. What did you say it was again? :D

UGLYMRJ and his cohorts think otherwise,that said i dont per say have too much against pre mades,they do make people better imo,but sometimes you get some real duds on your team and well,it turns into a slaugther because you just cant carry against a premade.

LOL there you go again... assuming way too much. Gregorya is actually very right and you obviously have no clue what I think.

And that goes both ways... pre-mades aren't always enough to carry 14K mercs and tanks in tionese gear either.

But that's what makes regs fun. Sorry I play with my friends and you got roflsmashed. You were the victim of a rare event that there were four of the same class in a group. But because of your constant whining... better believe I'm respeccing every time I see your name... IF I find your in game name.

Honestly... you'll probably get a win out of it... what you won't get is a fun war zone. ;)

There are plenty of guilds who aren't...

and like I've said a thousand times... I like competition and the randomness of regs. Not even MVP wins every game in regs with 4 man pre-mades. And that's what makes regs great IMO.

But the fact that you've been following me around forums all week and talking trash at every oppurtunity just makes me want to troll you. You have no idea how much I enjoy it and the smug attitude and insults just makes it that much more fun.

In fact.... you've inspired this... The TOS List.

Why I didn't think of this sooner... I have no idea. This list could be a 20 pages long by now.

And I'm sorry... I didn't catch your name. What did you say it was again? :D

Wow you think i am going to give you my ingame name to be harrased by your guild? you think i am that stupid? a friend of mine is being harrased by a few people just for Open world PvP to the point he cannot almost play,it is a PvP server and why people get hurt about getting killed i have no clue,but back to you UGLYMRJ you even link your guild site hoping to get my name and harrass me,wow man,and your how old again?

Edit: i have made what two three comments in replys to you and you consider that following you around all week? c'mon.

Edited by Sathid