Way of the mandalorians

Rondoman

So I've been thinking about playing a bounty hunter. The class seems pretty cool, I've always been a huge fan of Boba and Jango, I've read all about them in comics and books. But its wierd, when I hear people talk about mandalorians, all I hear is about how they have all this honor and seek glory in battle

I was hoping someone could help me understand them a little better. Jango Fett, at the time of the movies was a mandalorian, wasn't he? He didn't seem to worry about honor or glory, he just did the job to get paid, and that is pretty much how I would want to act as a mandalorian bounty hunter. But if I ran around being rediculously cruel, will the mandalorians not like it? Will they complain if I shoot innocent unarmed civilians for a few credits? Maybe I just don't know enough about them.

So I've been thinking about playing a bounty hunter. The class seems pretty cool, I've always been a huge fan of Boba and Jango, I've read all about them in comics and books. But its wierd, when I hear people talk about mandalorians, all I hear is about how they have all this honor and seek glory in battle

I was hoping someone could help me understand them a little better. Jango Fett, at the time of the movies was a mandalorian, wasn't he? He didn't seem to worry about honor or glory, he just did the job to get paid, and that is pretty much how I would want to act as a mandalorian bounty hunter. But if I ran around being rediculously cruel, will the mandalorians not like it? Will they complain if I shoot innocent unarmed civilians for a few credits? Maybe I just don't know enough about them.

I think I heard somewhere hat Jango Fett was a lapsed Mandalorian, and that Boba Fett wasn't really one at all.

I think I heard somewhere hat Jango Fett was a lapsed Mandalorian, and that Boba Fett wasn't really one at all.

You're pretty much right, Jango Fett used to be a mandalorian and even became mandalore, but he stopped operating as a mandalorian after some battle (If I remeber correctly). But he never really quit I guess, just stopped doing anything with them.

Boba Fett only became a mandalorian after he escaped the sarlacc pit (in the eu).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

That should tell you everything about Jango you might want to know.

he just did the job to get paid, and that is pretty much how I would want to act as a mandalorian bounty hunter. But if I ran around being rediculously cruel, will the mandalorians not like it? Will they complain if I shoot innocent unarmed civilians for a few credits?

Minor gameplay spoilers:

Your in game interaction with the Mandalorian faction is pretty limited. They will not interfere with every single decision you make. If an opportunity presents itself where you could choose to do something against the Mandalorian code, and you do it, It wouldn't hurt you standing with the Mandalorians.

You're pretty much right, Jango Fett used to be a mandalorian and even became mandalore, but he stopped operating as a mandalorian after some battle (If I remeber correctly).

He was probably still Mandalore in Episode 2, but like you said he was distant to his "people". He pretty much cut ties with the remaining Mandalorians after the Battle of Galidraan.

But he never really quit I guess, just stopped doing anything with them.

Correct. He did however imprint a lot of Mandalorian customs into the Clone Troopers he personally trained, so the Mandalorian legacy survived.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jango_Fett

That should tell you everything about Jango you might want to know.

Minor gameplay spoilers:

Your in game interaction with the Mandalorian faction is pretty limited. They will not interfere with every single decision you make. If an opportunity presents itself where you could choose to do something against the Mandalorian code, and you do it, It wouldn't hurt you standing with the Mandalorians.

He was probably still Mandalore in Episode 2, but like you said he was distant to his "people". He pretty much cut ties with the remaining Mandalorians after the Battle of Galidraan.

Correct. He did however imprint a lot of Mandalorian customs into the Clone Troopers he personally trained, so the Mandalorian legacy survived.

Ah, thank you SammyRath, that was extremely helpful. I was worried the Mandalore would yell at me for breaking the code or something. lol

Jango still followed the Mandolorian code to an extinct, contrast him to Montross who was basically a murderer. Jango was a bounty hunter and in it for the credits but still followed the moral principles of the Mandolorian Code Meerel implemented with the "true mandolorians"

The Mandalorian code is called the Resol'nare. It contains six precepts.

1. Wear armor as a sign of your identity

2. Speak the language (Mando'a).

3. Defend yourself, your clan and your family

4. Raise your children in the Mandalorian tradition

5. Contribute for the good of your clan

6. When called upon by the Mand'alor, rally to his cause

The current state of Mandalorian culture in SWTOR is in something of an upheaval. It has been since the end of the Mandalorian wars. Many Mandalorians have left their clans to seek their own fortune as mercenaries and bounty hunters. Thus, they have in essence broken with the Resol'nare and their Mandolorian heritage and become what the Mandalorians call dar'mande--a soulless state of being outside of Mandalorian society for those who are ignorant of their heritage. To become dar'manda is one of the greatest shames a Mandalorian can bring about himself.

To answer your question whether Mandalorians would mind that you execute innocent people for credits, then it depends. If your sole motivation is credits then yes, because doing so would make you a slave to coin with no honor to your name. Not because of the act itself. If you do so in order to advance the standing or objectives of your clan, then it is another matter, because you are acting in accordance with the Resol'nare. Then it would likely be accepted.

Mandalorian culture is very diverse, because Mandalorians are recruited from all over the galaxy and from every race that can fight and wield a weapon. Because there are so many diverse cultural backgrounds that come into play, some interpret the Resol'nare differently than others. Part of this is a result of the massive recruitment drive led by Cassus Fett's Neo-Crusaders during the Mandalorian Wars, when the Mandalorians aggressively assimilated and integrated conquered planets and races into their culture.

To call yourself Mando'ade, you must remain knowledgable and respectful towards your cultural heritage. If you are not, then you are dar'manda and they have no use or respect for you.

Ah, thank you SammyRath, that was extremely helpful. I was worried the Mandalore would yell at me for breaking the code or something. lol

You also have to remember that during Jango's time the mando's were, for the most part, in a state of diaspora, and continued to be late into Boba's time as Mandalore. During the war with the Vongese Fett reinstated the Ori'ramikade(the mandalorian supercommando's), originally created by Jaster Moreel, and began to take a larger part, though still distant, in his role as mandalore. After being reunited with his granddaughter and wife Fett then began to take an even larger role in mandalorian society, even though around this time he could no longer return to mandalore due to the nano virus unleashed on the planet by the imperial remnant.

I digress though... Due to this state of diaspora most mandalorians turned to mercenary work and bounty hunting, as was the case with Jango and Boba. Today, and I use the fate of the Jedi series in my reference to 'today', the mando clans are a more united state but due to the poor conditions left on mandalore in the wake of the empire prior to the rise of the New Republic, most mandalorians continue to sell their services as mercenaries.

As to your question about breaking a code... Mandalorian tradition dictates that honor and gory are obtained through battle with a worthy opponent. This was the reason they always sided against the jedi when they went to war. Not for any real personal reason, but jedi were/are thought to be among the best fighters in the galaxy. To defeat such an enemy is to bring great honor to yourself, your clan, and to mandalore. On the other hand, there is no dishonor in losing to such an adversary. To fight or kill a weak or helpless opponent would not be honorable. However, taking a contract on a weak target is not dishonorable, its putting food on the table. As Fett has said many times, "A contract's a contract.

I know, Im such a geek....

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam - A warrior is more than his armor.

Edited by Letesh