Sorc/sage NEEDS a buff.

slukslaksla

now sry for the clickbait-y title but i mean what it says, bear with me plz;

now im not gonna talk to mouch about gear but sorc has a few issues... first off this is mainly based off pvp but HM+ ops as well. now the problem is as follows:

sorc is weak.

yes its weak... it has shabby defensives in pvp and low crits. the highest me and my friend ever saw on a sorc was a 13k crit. and that is after spamming all abilitys (in lightning spec specificly) over and over until one of them crits. in a realistic situation sorc vs anything else... ANYTHING in a fair 1v1 duel will most likely lose (unless the sorc player is way more skilled but this is a fair fight so he aint) .

sorcs defensives for PVE are fine as a healer or 2 is usualy there to back you up but, in pvp thats usualy not the case. pvp lately to my experience suffers from matchmaking annoying-ness where enemy will have 4 healers and we will have none. this makes playing a damage sorc wary hard indeed. as the main defensives are static barrier wich imo dont do anything but look cool, and the other "god bubble" as i call it wich is good but after it ends you are 100% dead. you do have the teleport but becuase of how it works ppl can be waiting for you after u used it. also you must put it up BEFORE the fight.

for the damage part sorcs just plain weak.. i played a lvl 57 merc during early 5.0 and had several consistant 25k-40k crits on several abilitys, mostly heatseekers. the hiighest my sorc ever had on what i considder to be its best burst ability: chain-lightning and the other shooting bubble thing (pardon me i cant think of its name now) was 11k.. that was on a 4p set bonus sorc in 230 gear (with one 236) all auged. my friend who's probably better geared hits around 13k. 40k on merc vs 13k on a sorc that is better geared AND higher level.. AND MY 11k CRITS AINT EVEN CONSISTANT! my sorc can cast 5 abilitys and do the same dmg as a merc does in ONE! dunno about you but that is sure not balance...

for pve I literly seen several ops grps (on TRE, a pve server) say (example): LF 1T 3D 2H KP HM Must know tactics, NO SORCS ALOWED!

and thats for KP wich i have dps-ed myself in hm as a 210 geared scoundrel in healer gear...

that, i have not made up. id take a screenshot but it didn't fall into mind at the time.

mhm... *clears throat*

i also want to state why i compare sorc and merc: mostly is cus their so similar. both got healer spec both got dot spec and both got burst spec... they are also ranged/utility classes and their burst trees focus on speed/alacrity. making them the perfect comparison in my opinion.

healer as of now feels like its fairly balanced. but the sorc dmg has been dear i say; notorius for beeing nerfed or "not buffed" for a dam long time... and i do not count the new MELEE STUN as a buff...

pardon my ranting here i truly love the game ALOT but, to fix this i would suggest buffing ALL sorc dmg abilitys and i mean ALL. and also give static barrier's "cant use again on same target" debuff a longer timer, in exchange for mouch more defense. (maybe add passive in the legendary tree that does it and only gives more defense and cd to yourself and not other allies)

i again apoligize for the rant style of this post and also im sure others already posted similar stuff but i wanted to get it out there anyways... all in all sorc always was my favorite class, but it has alot of cards stacked against it atm.

plz share opinions as im sure im not the only one that has never seen a DPS sorc in pvp for MONTHS...

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Sorc healers not fairly balanced, they OP and need a nerf. (Since patch 3.3 lol)

2) Sorc is pretty weak compaired to other dps specs in 4v4 ranked arenas, in 8v8 all classes and specs good (i feel very comfortable on my sorc dps in regs)

3) Yes sorc dps need some buffs, sorc healers need huge nerf.

This is my opinion from pvp side of that game.

Edited by GUN_GAME

1) Sorc healers not fairly balanced, they OP and need a nerf. (Since patch 3.3 lol)

2) Sorc is pretty weak compaired to other dps specs in 4v4 ranked arenas, in 8v8 all classes and specs good (i feel very comfortable on my sorc dps in regs)

3) Yes sorc dps need some buffs, sorc healers need huge nerf.

This is my opinion from pvp side of that game.

i agree

Sorc/sage has the worst dps specs since 5.0 and it's not fun to play a broken class. The game forces a player to switch the class in order to complete the end game content. Devs need to change it and balance DPS. Edited by BraverDre

Sorc/sage has the worst dps specs since 5.0 and it's not fun to play a broken class. The game forces a player to switch the class in order to complete the end game content. Devs need to change it and balance DPS.

as i said i literly seen ops KP (freaking kp lol) say NO SORCS ALOWED. i asked the guy why and he said "eh they got low dps" etc etc

as i said i literly seen ops KP (freaking kp lol) say NO SORCS ALOWED. i asked the guy why and he said "eh they got low dps" etc etc

LoL it's sad that people say that and even worse that the guy who is responsible for balancing classes in the game is on "VACATION"

Edited by BraverDre

raidlead is not interested in the sad feelings of sages / sorcs ; she/he is more interested in running trough operations without wipe and quick boss kills for the fun of the 7 other players.

nobody cares about those few sages that post here and want to tell us their dmg is good enough for hm but the reality is: every other class does MUCH more dmg then any sage and most raidleads prefer more dmg over too less dmg.

Signed.

I've mained a sorc/sage since beta, recently I've been playing my assassin instead as my main dps character and the difference is just night and day.

The sorc can barely crit 10-12k, assassin in very slightly better gear constantly crits 17k+, has better defenses, more survivability, moves across the map faster, there isn't a single thing that my sorc dps does as well as my assassin dps.

It needs a HUGE dps buff, the difference is actually astounding I can imagine the gulf is even worse between sorc and merc the amount of damage a merc can put out in pvp compared with a sorc is frankly absurd.

Signed.

I had a sage and sorcerer ever since early access, and I played one of them for most of each expansion. I have to point out they are only my secondary main after my guardian though.

Sages right now are just plain-out ridiculous. I can get by in a HM raid with my guild, but anything that even remotely drives into competitiveness is off the radar. Sorc damage is just so underperforming right now that any NiM operation for DPS sorcs is just straight off the table. We simply can't compete with the DPS checks and the other classes. You can, literally, just stack commandos/mercenaries and have much higher DPS numbers. The gap isn't all that small.

My 236 sage crits for ~14k damage on his TKB and Turbulence, whereas my 228 mercenary crits for way over 25k on his Heatseeker Missile with Tracer Missile debuff and relic proc. That damage disparity is just plainly ridiculous. I've seen HSM crit for ~35k in certain videos. That's nearly 1/3 of an average PvPers life. Yet, we Sages can't even hit the 24k mark if we combine Turbulence and TKB on an average day.

This is plainly ridiculous at this point.

Signed.

I had a sage and sorcerer ever since early access, and I played one of them for most of each expansion. I have to point out they are only my secondary main after my guardian though.

Sages right now are just plain-out ridiculous. I can get by in a HM raid with my guild, but anything that even remotely drives into competitiveness is off the radar. Sorc damage is just so underperforming right now that any NiM operation for DPS sorcs is just straight off the table. We simply can't compete with the DPS checks and the other classes. You can, literally, just stack commandos/mercenaries and have much higher DPS numbers. The gap isn't all that small.

My 236 sage crits for ~14k damage on his TKB and Turbulence, whereas my 228 mercenary crits for way over 25k on his Heatseeker Missile with Tracer Missile debuff and relic proc. That damage disparity is just plainly ridiculous. I've seen HSM crit for ~35k in certain videos. That's nearly 1/3 of an average PvPers life. Yet, we Sages can't even hit the 24k mark if we combine Turbulence and TKB on an average day.

This is plainly ridiculous at this point.

as said i had my 208 (old ranked geared) merc crit a 40k+ SEVERAL times on heatseekers ALONE during a MID TIER pvp match (my merc was 57 and didn't even have boltstorm or whatever yet xD)

another problem i find is the poor defensives, they got one pure death defying ability wich is force barrier (aka god bubble) otherwise a 25% dmg resist for 6 sec aint gonna help against a 4x merc pre-made focusing you.

with that in mind god bubble is nice if paired with teleport but due to merc having a "buggy" ability called electro net wich literly can DISABLE barrier completly. (only if aplied BEFORE you use barrier ofc) making the sorc ONLY good defense USELESS!

now e-net is also seemingly bugged where in most cases you cannot even see it! so when u got close to 30 de-buffs on u cus the madness sorcs trying to get u u cant spot e-net in any way. (and cus it only can be cc breaked thats bad) ironicly unless the will thing or whetever its name is is of cd bubble is ur only other cc breaker xDDDDD

USELESS!

i do not know if the e-net / god bubble thing is a dumb feature or a bug but bubble literly says that it can be used when controlled etc. (i can confirm that that works too) but one lousy merc hits u with e-net and it cant be activated... like its still on cooldown (but obveusly its not)

Edited by slukslaksla

as said i had my 208 (old ranked geared) merc crit a 40k+ SEVERAL times on heatseekers ALONE during a MID TIER pvp match (my merc was 57 and didn't even have boltstorm or whatever yet xD)

Don't compare midbies and lowbies, I have seen ambush crit for 60k in lowbies, means nothing.

http://prntscr.com/fbwdcn

^ above screenshot is from my parse

the minimum hit is 18k, the average is 20, the max is 28k

No our burst doesn't hit as hard as an arsenal merc, but our burst windows are a lot more frequent, in pvp sorc still has plenty of burst, if you hit only for 12-14k, look at upgrading your gear - or make sure affliciton is on the target you're hitting

these constant whine threads are getting annoying - I sitll main my sorc... and it's really not as abd as some people want it to be.... - yes for ranked we're in a bad spot (very bad) but that is more so due to the ammount of mercs than anything else xD

Don't compare midbies and lowbies, I have seen ambush crit for 60k in lowbies, means nothing.

http://prntscr.com/fbwdcn

^ above screenshot is from my parse

the minimum hit is 18k, the average is 20, the max is 28k

No our burst doesn't hit as hard as an arsenal merc, but our burst windows are a lot more frequent, in pvp sorc still has plenty of burst, if you hit only for 12-14k, look at upgrading your gear - or make sure affliciton is on the target you're hitting

these constant whine threads are getting annoying - I sitll main my sorc... and it's really not as abd as some people want it to be.... - yes for ranked we're in a bad spot (very bad) but that is more so due to the ammount of mercs than anything else xD

No... no, it's as bad as people make it out to be. Hell in PvE the gap between 1st place and Lightning/Telekinetics is something like 3k which is massive in this game. Why would you go "nah I'm gonna take the Sorcerer/Sage instead of <insert ANY class here> " for both PvE or PvP. The class is a joke right now and it NEEDS to be changed.

No... no, it's as bad as people make it out to be. Hell in PvE the gap between 1st place and Lightning/Telekinetics is something like 3k which is massive in this game. Why would you go "nah I'm gonna take the Sorcerer/Sage instead of <insert ANY class here> " for both PvE or PvP. The class is a joke right now and it NEEDS to be changed.

You are right. Sorc dps specs need a buff. We are not interested in people who say *sorc is fine yeah it's bad for ranked but its ok blabllbalbal i main sorc blablabla* - we want devs to buff sorc dps so that we are welcomed in pve NiM content. If you main a madness sorc you will notice that the class is not single target friendly and ur dps is trash compare to other ranged dps classes. Lightning sorc is only *OK* with an exploit.

Edited by BraverDre

You are right. Sorc dps specs need a buff. We are not interested in people who say *sorc is fine yeah it's bad for ranked but its ok blabllbalbal i main sorc blablabla* - we want devs to buff sorc dps so that we are welcomed in pve NiM content. If you main a madness sorc you will notice that the class is not single target friendly and ur dps is trash compare to other ranged dps classes. Lightning sorc is only *OK* with an exploit.

Lightning is ok, without epxloit, and good with....

Also.. - if you want it to work, work for it, or re-roll sniper....

I am just laughing everytime I see someone say lightning can only hit for 12k... while Chainlightning hits for 14k....TB for 20k on average...

Sorc dps does need a buff yes - but it's nowhere near as bad as some of you people make it sound.. it's still viable... feel free to disagree and keep crying.

Lightning is ok, without epxloit, and good with....

Are you kidding me?

Telekinetics and Balance make up the last and second to last spot on the DPS rankings, and we're behind by nearly 2k DPS. That's far from okayish. With ~11k top DPS, and 9k top DPS telekinetics sage, we're looking at a nearly 15-20% difference between the top and bottom. That's not "ok" or "good with"...

Let's face it: No matter whether it's in terms of survivability, DPS or burst: Sorc lacks in all of these departments right now. Even our burst spec doesn't hit nearly as hard as snipers and mercs do. In fact, you can just stack these two classes and kill the boss ~20% faster than with sorcerers/sages in your team. Mercs and Snipers offer more DPS and survivability in any situation than the sage class.

That's far from "okay". That's garbage.

Edited by Alssaran

Are you kidding me?

Telekinetics and Balance make up the last and second to last spot on the DPS rankings, and we're behind by nearly 2k DPS. That's far from okayish. With ~11k top DPS, and 9k top DPS telekinetics sage, we're looking at a nearly 15-20% difference between the top and bottom. That's not "ok" or "good with"...

Let's face it: No matter whether it's in terms of survivability, DPS or burst: Sorc lacks in all of these departments right now. Even our burst spec doesn't hit nearly as hard as snipers and mercs do. In fact, you can just stack these two classes and kill the boss ~20% faster than with sorcerers/sages in your team. Mercs and Snipers offer more DPS and survivability in any situation than the sage class.

That's far from "okay". That's garbage.

No class does 11k. unless AoE is involved. or some Damage increase mechanic.

sorc without exploit does 9300-9500.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/284524

10k+ with. (lightning)

http://parsely.io/parser/view/283978/0

(madness is just garbage.. but sitll does 9k)

http://parsely.io/parser/view/270258/0

in PvE (where there are no NETS) sorcs bring excelent mobility, a god bubble, 25% damage reduction with threat dump, unatural preservation... PLENTY of survivabilty.

I will continue to main my sorc. as I love it, - while buffs would be great, I am making it work just fine for me... and tbh lightning shouldn't get a massive buff anyway, arsenal should be nerfed... Lightning is one of the easiest specs (easiest imo) and should as such be lowest dps.... arsenal should be nerfed to be put in line with lightning.

Edited by Folcwar

No class does 11k. unless AoE is involved. or some Damage increase mechanic.

sorc without exploit does 9300-9500.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/284524

10k+ with. (lightning)

http://parsely.io/parser/view/283978/0

(madness is just garbage.. but sitll does 9k)

http://parsely.io/parser/view/270258/0

in PvE (where there are no NETS) sorcs bring excelent mobility, a god bubble, 25% damage reduction with threat dump, unatural preservation... PLENTY of survivabilty.

I will continue to main my sorc. as I love it, - while buffs would be great, I am making it work just fine for me... and tbh lightning shouldn't get a massive buff anyway, arsenal should be nerfed... Lightning is one of the easiest specs (easiest imo) and should as such be lowest dps.... arsenal should be nerfed to be put in line with lightning.

So doing 1k less damage without using an exploit than both other ranged classes is ok because it brings less utility than the other 2 ranged classes? That utility is far less than what snipers have and the survivablity is far behind both snipers and mercs. On a side note I would argue that while none are challenging, lightning is the toughest of the ranged burst dps specs since there is a little bit of nuance to master, while neither of the other 2 have that, as someone having played all 3.

Edited by Dewlmenow

So doing 1k less damage than both other ranged classes is ok because it brings less utility than the other 2 ranged classes? That utility is far less than what snipers have and the survivablity is far behind both snipers and mercs.

1k? yes. lightning is more mobile, and much easier to play than the specs you reffer too (beside arsenal) again.. arsenal should be nerfed to be put in line with marksmanship and lightning.

Edited by Folcwar

1k? yes. lightning is more mobile, and much easier to play than the specs you reffer too (beside arsenal) again.. arsenal should be nerfed to be put in line with marksmanship and lightning.

There needs to be at minimum 1 viable dps spec for each advanced class and sorc just doesn't have that right now. I guess you'd be in favor of buffing madness to around io level then.

Edited by Dewlmenow

There needs to be at minimum 1 viable dps spec for each advanced class and sorc just doesn't have that right now. I guess you'd be in favor of buffing madness to around io level then.

madness is a DoT spec, and is slightly harder to play than lightning, yes, however it's not as simple as just buffing it's damamge, it's energy management need's an overhaul aswell, since the force negative rotaiton is slightly silly IMHO.

(I do think lightning is currently viable, - and maybe it does need a buff, but nothing massive, if it can do say 9600-9900 (without exploit, and epxloit removed) that would suffice IMHO, and arsenall nerfed to that level aswell)

madness is a DoT spec, and is slightly harder to play than lightning, yes, however it's not as simple as just buffing it's damamge, it's energy management need's an overhaul aswell, since the force negative rotaiton is slightly silly IMHO.

(I do think lightning is currently viable, - and maybe it does need a buff, but nothing massive, if it can do say 9600-9900 (without exploit, and epxloit removed) that would suffice IMHO, and arsenall nerfed to that level aswell)

For madness, I agree that more it honestly could use an overhaul (along with pyro pt imo), but it needs a damage buff in addition to fixing its other issues.

As for calling lightning viable, I'd say what you are proposing is absolutely reasonable, but I would disagree in calling it viable as it stands now. You can clear almost all if not all content with it, but that would be because it is being carried by other, better classes and everybody is outgearing the content.

The short of it is that both sorc specs at minimum need a dps buff though. I'd lean towards a larger buff because sorc has been inferior to both sniper and merc for 3 expansions running in dps output.

i agree when it comes to sorc beeing "playable" i done plenty of master flashpoitns/uprising on my lightning sorc. wich i continue to main simply cus i like how it looks...

however...:

most ppl i see that says sorc is fine etc are ppl that have theirs in full 248 gear etc and that most likely are part of a raidteam/guild with other classes to not only carry them but also work together in a way where you most likely wouldn't even notice sorcs flaws...

that said you dont need great base line stats to do end game content, you need a good TEAM. i have done countless hm and even NiM back in the day on my L-sorc just fine.

my point is that with a good team say mara/merc dps combo. you beeing a sorc dmg, those 3 other mara/mercs can EASELY make up for ur entire dps should they be good skilled/geared. im not speaking stat wise here im speaking experience wise... i dont know about NiM as i been to lazy to do it lately but i asume its basicly the same there.

if both your merc and sorc dps died who would you rez first?

sorc is definatly viable but the problem isn't that its not... its that it is.

me having played since roughly after launch i mained sorc form day one. i had my sorc be the first through every dlc and new content release to this wary day. and thats the problem although sorc had a handfull new abilitys spread across its diciplines it still arguably is stuck in pre-ROTHC update..

every time for a long time sorc remains that "just fine" class that is not awesome and not sht..

in the beginning it was fine having a non buffed sorc every update but recently its been to many updates... aka sorc dont age but merc do.. so merc is now a senile retired guy while sorc is still in its 20s trying to get its education...

this is the problem... fix it.

this is the problem

Alright, we should take a step back from calling Sorc "basically stuck in pre-ROTHC". Let's not forget that Sages and Sorcerers were one of the most dominant classes in post-3.0 PvP for a while. Their survivability was great, their damage output was alright, and their movement was decent enough to boost. Saying Sorc has been stuck in pre-ROTHC or mediocrity ever since 1.X is doing it a bit much.

Sorc/Sage is not viable/garbage as a DPS right now, but it has been above "inexperienced mediocrity" for a long while pre-5.0.

The issue actually stems from this pre-5.0 time: Sorcs and Sages were overperforming for quite a while, but mercenaries and snipers (as you might remember in case you did PvP) were horribly underperforming. Sages offered so much versatility in combat that taking a mercenary was basically useless. In an attempt to balance this out, the designers green-lit a sledgehammer approach to both classes - the sages lost a tremendous amount of survivability and overall damage, but only gained two highly situational abilities in the process, but mercenaries were buffed in terms of damage and survivability. This created the seemingly steep gap right now.

Now, I can agree with you if you mention that sage is stuck in pre-5.0. Of course, that's not entirely correct: We'd be ruling the warzones and operations if we were. However, the classes gameplay hasn't adjusted for these new abilities we gained. I mean, Impeding Slash isn't really all that great. We had slows and stuns before. We didn't need a tradeoff for damage and tons of survivability for another slow. Espescially not at the expense of an utility point. I appreciate the thought, but making this ability was a waste of time. That strike should be a heroic utility at best or masterful on average. It's not legendary.

Bioware should really stick to one problem they caused in 5.0 - just embrace that Sage and Sorcs have Phase Walk now, and attempt to build a fun mechanic around that. Sages and Sorcs were always supposed to be these casting cannons, standing on the rear and dashing out tons of damage. At least embrace that philosophy and make them (for Telekinetics/Lightning) a glass railgun - they can deal tons of damage as long as they remain within Phase Walk and are stationary, but they need that positional gameplay. Forcing them to move causes their DPS to drop. Keep Madness and Balance as a movement/damage/damage reduction balanced PvP build. I know there are quite a few people who play Balance as a PvE built, but it's memorable peformance was as a good PvP build in 4.0. And for f***s sake - redo the Balance energy management and self-heal/ability synergy. That one feels messy and is all over the place since 5.0.

I know that people who did play FFXIV will now assault me with the wrath of a thousand Sith, and this meme comes to mind, but I'll say it: I damn love Ley-Line gameplay. Of course it's a bloody PITA when you place it and it "attracts AoE like honey", but at least the Black Mage has that identity - "They deal the same DPS as other classes if they have to move, maybe slightly less. But enable a Black Mage to stand still and nothing beats their DPS." That was how Black Mage was introduced to me. I didn't want a "mobile" range DPS like bard. I didn't want a machinist. I wanted that 2 second casting, spell-flinging railgun that can shoot people into oblivion. That's what I got. However, the bard is still not useless. It doesn't lack support capabilities for the raid. Which brings me to my next point:

Why not at least make a Force Nexus utility that transforms Phase Walk's position not only while using it, but as a permanent buff to the Sage/Sorc? Maybe find a way to add some raid utility in there. And as long as a Sage/Sorc knows how to handle the mechanic, give him good DPS and survivability. If he's forced to move, he temporarily loses that. And this is where a Mercenary or Guardian could actually be getting their advantage over Sage/Sorc. Make HSM hit a little less like a truck. More like a car. But keep their mobility (Blazing Bolts during movement, instant-HSM and TM after Bolt) and their survivability as a mobile and decent DPS class. Because right now, they both feel slightly the same. The difference is that the mercenary is better at almost everything. From instant cast DPS (compare HSM to Turbulence+TKB instant proc alone) all the way to survivability, which their shield utilities simply offer to a ridiculous degree compared to Force Barrier. Their button is a "I'll prog this bubble and receive much less damage. Oh, and I'll almost heal2full if you continue to attack me. And by the way, you can't interrupt me while I heal me or DPS you with TM and HSM procs."

Our own bubble is kind of a "I'll just look at the scenery for eight seconds while I wait for my timely demise" thing.

In conclusion, Sorcs/Sages have been dominating gameplay for quite a while. We're not stuck in pre-ROTHC. We simply need a slight identity and DPS buff to compete. It's kind of like comparing Chris Hemsworth and Zach Braff. Yes, both are actors and kind of do the same thing - acting. The difference is that one is a 6"4 tall, muscular and bloody attractive god of thunder, while the other one is that guy who was in that one hospital show you loved a decade ago, but hasn't been all that memorable since then.

Mercenaries and Sages are both kind of awkwardly sharing an identity right now. Lots of movement and some instant casts, some barriers, and burst DPS (despite some different window applications and timings). Thing is: Mercenary is outperforming in every regard. The only thing we're slightly better at is using TKB to do some AoE effect and quickly take out weak adds by using TKB and Force Potency buffed FQ.

Long story short: Let's not pretend we've always been the weakest class. However, we do need some slight reimagining and damage adjustment. Because we're just performing averagely in all aspects right now. Problem is: Almost every DPS is outperforming us by being better at either our own playstyle, or being more versatile / DPS-heavy. Essentially, this kind of bullsh*t will continue to happen as long as the approach to Gunslinger/Sage/Commando DPS is: "All are ranged and we just adjust numbers and survivability a bit." It'd be great if Bioware could actually come up with mechanics that make each spec viable for raid encounters and set them apart. That'd at least give the classes a situational use and viability. I'm aware that we can't use the FFXIV approach as a 1:1 solution because the job system (and specs for that matter) are handled entirely different in FF than in SWTOR, but it's food for thought.

Edited by Alssaran

Snip.

Im kinda like this idea.

Give sorcs/sages some sort of buff and call it Concentration or something like that.

If character stand still - he recieve damage buff.

Seriously. This solution is so elegant.

But... Unfortunatly we cannot expect this kind of mechanics from SWTOR combat team. :(