Class Changes: Deception Assassin / Infiltration Shadow

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you will find the planned changes for Deception and Infiltration in Game Update 5.5:

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Assassin

Deception

• Reduced the damage done by Ball Lightning by 5.15%
  • Amped Voltage no longer increases the damage of Discharge, but retains the rest of its effects
  • Dominating Slashes no longer increases the damage of Assassinate and the damage bonus it gives to Lacerate and Voltaic Slash has been reduced from 10% to 5%
  • Reduced the critical damage bonus given to Discharge and Ball Lightning by Crackling Blasts from 10% to 5%
  • Reduced the low-health damage bonus given by Sith Executioner from 5% to 3%

Shadow

Infiltration

• Reduced the damage done by Psychokinetic Blast by 5.15%
  • Fracturing Force no longer increases the damage of Force Breach, but retains the rest of its effects
  • Prevailing Strikes no longer increases the damage of Spinning Slash Strike and the damage bonus it gives to Whirling Blow and Clairvoyant Strike has been reduced from 10% to 5%
  • Reduced the critical damage bonus given to Force Breach and Psychokinetic Blast by Deep Impact from 10% to 5%
  • Reduced the low-health damage bonus given by Judgement from 5% to 3%

DevNotes: The Deception / Infiltration discipline was overperforming, so we made multiple changes to bring their DPS down to target levels. We reduced the damage of Ball Lightning / Psychokinetic Blast in addition to changing a couple passives to reduce the damage of other abilities.

Additionally, we reduced the critical hit damage on Discharge / Force Breach and Ball Lightning / Psychokinetic Blast through a passive, and slightly reduced the magnitude of the damage bonus given when enemies are at low health. These changes put Deception / Infiltration at their DPS target.

-eric

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't playing this class, but it seems you just killed it xD

they seem to be killing all classes. It is almost like they put 248 gear in the game but didnt want anyone to benefit from it. So they are kneecapping all classes so that we just have the grind but no benefit. And then they wonder why they have dwindling subscriber numbers. The egos at the top of the bioware management team need to be fired and replaced. They have cut the operation to bare minimum and continue to cater to their own egos over their players.

Eric, can you pls answer about skank-tanks? Are you planning to do something with them? This spec is unnatural and ruins pvp... Very overpowered thing

I think there was a podcast not that long ago where they commented that they don't see any need to at the moment readjust tanks and feel that they are balanced correctly. Skank-Tank is indeed a bit of an issue in PvP but the core problem here isn't skanking philosophy, but instead the lack of benefit from defensive stats in PvP making skank the only way to go for players who wish to play tanks.

Ok, now I want just to ask one thing to the Devs: are you f***ing kidding me?

Are you aware that you're destroying the only thing Deceptions can do properly: damage?

It's not a nerf, you're making this class utterly useless.

You want the balance? Let's make an example then:

Operative Concealment had a little less dps than Deception and way more survavibility, what you did was nerfing the dps a bit. Now we'll have a Deception that does way less damage than Conc AND has less survivability.

Do you see people complaining about how ULTRA OP Deceptions are like you saw with Mercs? I don't think so.

And still, this *thing* is far worse than what you did to Mercs.

Is it possible to slighty touch a class without buffing it like hell or making it unuseable? Is it?

That would be every player's dream.

Thanks.

PS: do you even see people reaction to what you just posted?

Edited by TheDramaKing

I now regret that I made a huge mistake and payed another 2 months sub to you Bioware. The very last time definitely. You've already nerfed four classes which I've been playing and gearing up, and I'm not gonna invest any more minute of my time farming your crappy CXP and gearing up another class which you would think is imbalanced. F**k you. I gave you enough time. Do your damn job finally! Stop touching something that was not broken!

It will be fun to go back to being useless in pvp once again. For the first time in a few years, they were in a good spot and also in PVE.

Now buff the survivability of Serenity, because that is the main damage dealer for this class and you go into the fight as a melee sage. Otherwise, it's just tank in dps gear 100%.

I now regret that I made a huge mistake and payed another 2 months sub to you Bioware. The very last time definitely. You've already nerfed four classes which I've been playing and gearing up, and I'm not gonna invest any more minute of my time farming your crappy CXP and gearing up another class which you would think is imbalanced. F**k you. I gave you enough time. Do your damn job finally! Stop touching something that was not broken!

When they "accidentally on purpose" added the bonus to the old eye bleed dailies instead of having new content I was tempted to gear up my sin but instead I played another game.

Talk about making the right call. :D

There is no point in investing time in this game, they do not respect your efforts.

lol, software from Texas.

The impact of this on PvP is pretty bad too, especially for tank/healer games where Deception already had issues. Culling the burst like this is crap for PvP altogether. For PvE, there is even less of a reason to bring a Deception Sin than there already was.

500 dps loss overall?

Maul seems to be the only rotational not nerfed. Haven't seen anyone run the numbers, but it sure looks like it's substantially more than 500 DPS.

Meanwhile, Mercs and Commandos have their 3 health bars.... this is BWs idea of balance...

You know what isn't overperforming devs? You.... I cannot believe you are tone deaf to the freaking state of PvP these days with ranged owning all and you go making nerfs like this while ignoring the most glaring problem in the game.

No wonder people are fleeing this game.

really, really struggling to understand why a fellow melee burst spec that was already parsing less than carnage and concealment (with decidedly less utility than marauders) would get nerfed harder and in a more impactful way

realllyyyyyy struggling

are you guys sure the dev team didn't misplace a decimal point?

IMO the class didn't need a nerf, and here's why:

Infiltration/Deception has literally nothing going for it but raw DPS. Infil/Decep (and Hatred/Serenity) is the only class that doesn't have a raid buff. In fact, it has almost no raid utility at all, since its stealth is tied to its rotation, and on top of that stealth rez is still broken for some people (it breaks at precisely 2.4s each time with NO AOE, buffs, heals, etc. etc. I have been stealth rezzing for 3 years I know when it's broken). It has severely limited AoE and is only good for single target DPS. Finally its gap closer is tied to its rotation as well, which affects mobility although it's much better than used to be when it comes to adds/trash.

Furthermore, Deception/Infiltration doesn't have a single DPS number - you can't bring it down to a target DPS, you can only bring it down to a target range. That target range currently has a margin of error of approximately +/- 500 DPS. The easy way to explain it is that one of our most important procs is basically RNG, it's not guaranteed, so we don't have an actual rotation. As a result the spec can get 10,000 DPS or 9,000 DPS by doing the priority order perfectly; it will be pretty random, although crit/mastery stacking for a really high crit chance narrows it down pretty well. This is far more than any other DPS spec. As a result, our DPS wasn't nerfed from 10,500 DPS to 10,000 DPS, it was nerfed from a range of 9500-10500 DPS to about 8700-9900 DPS (the reduced crit chances have resulted in an expanded margin of error), with the average being nerfed from 9800-10200 DPS (the target range) to 9300-9700 DPS (below its intended target range.)

So IMO, this class didn't need to be nerfed. It has never been wanted in NiM due to its position requirement and low DPS, and complete and utter lack of any raid utility. The only reason it is ever remotely viable as a class is on the off occasion Bioware has accidentally made it "OP" by their standards, which is really where the spec should be, and it is not actually OP.

The least you all can do is make its DPS in front of the boss the same as behind the boss, so there's no position requirement at all anymore. Nerfing it to a soft requirement was an improvement, but not enough. The best you could do is either give us a raid buff, or make us one of the top DPS.

Edited by FlavivsAetivs