Revenge of the Archon: too hard?

Mandalin

How do you get this *********** ray shield down?

I believe it's tied to his health. Left one goes down first, so you can use the rod to disable that generator, then once you've done that oyu'll be able to pickup another rod from a droid, and right shield will go down further into the fight.

If geared enough you can also completely ignore the shields and generators and just kill the boss, but obviously that's not an option if you can't get him below 80% ... :(

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done this quest quite a few times and I never look forward to it, because I find it buggy. Easier on some classes than others.

But I see a lot comments in the previous pages about being geared up for this fight. My question is, should you have to be geared up for it? Previous to this quest there was not another that made a "gear check". If a mission in a quest line has a definite gap in the gearing requirement while being part of the leveling process, I think there is a breakdown somewhere.

I'm not sure that my point is clear. But, if one has to stop the quest line, go back and do dailies to "gear up" (as has been stated in previous posts), then what is the point? One would be 55 easy enough without even doing Makeb.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a lvl 55 Sorcerer, and this one IS harder than the other boss fights; then again, it's the end of Chapter 4 - you should expect that.

It took me about 10 tries to get beat this.

I have been a Lightning Sorcerer since starting, and from a PvE standpoint, a pretty good one at that. But I couldn't get my head around this one.

I tried with Khem Val, I tried with Xalek... 3 or 4 times, both well geared with 156 (and some 162)... and I could not do this.

So I switched to Corruption, thinking I'd heal my way through it. What happened this time, was that I actually died QUICKER as a healer, than as Lightning. Did this about 3-4 times, with Khem and Xalek.

AND... I did absolutely pathetic damage on the boss, in this spec. This instance has you running all over the place... and THAT'S when it clicked:

I was going to have to DoT this mofo, and keep myself alive!

So I respecced Madness, pulled out a sorely undergeared Talos Dreilik (on passive), and just popped DoTs on the Archon whenever I could... while Talos healed me, and I Lightning Storm'd the droids.

I was able to also get one of the isotope generators down, when a droid dropped the quest item. That seemed to seriously slow down the dps the Archon did.

In the end, it's true what was said: keep moving, and beat the droids as quickly as you can. But in the meantime, the full Madness spec did wonders DoT'g the Archon.

It's not easy, but through trial and error of whatever spec and companion combinations you have, you will eventually beat him.

So I respecced Madness, pulled out a sorely undergeared Talos Dreilik (on passive), and just popped DoTs on the Archon whenever I could... while Talos healed me, and I Lightning Storm'd the droids.

In my experience, it's not the spec change that mattered nearly so much as your choice of companion. I'll repeat my findings yet again:

Unless you're geared far beyond the quest level (170?), DPS characters should run this quest with a healer companion.

Loads of DPS characters, especially ranged-DPS, run with tank companions. Tanks won't help you nearly enough here. The Archon will burn them down too quickly, especially because companions don't have AI routines that know to avoid area attacks. DPS companions have the same problem, but with even less hitpoints. The easiest strategy is to run with a healer companion. They keep you alive as you dance about, and you do enough damage that you maintain aggro and keep them from being killed. At that point, it doesn't matter whether you're hitting him with DoT or burst damage

My experience with this quest:

Operative[Conceal] + Lokin: Success

Sniper[Marksman] + Kaliyo: Fail (~70%)

Sniper[Marksman] + Lokin: Success

Marauder[Carnage] + Vette: Fail (60%)

Marauder[Carnage]/162 gear + Vette: Fail (90%)

Marauder[Annihilation]/162 gear + Vette: Fail (80%)

Marauder[Carnage]/162 gear + Quinn: Success (ignored reactors)

I know it is possible to complete the quest as a DPS player with a non-healer companion. However, it is so much easier with the healer companion, that I've never actually failed with a healer companion.

In my experience, it's not the spec change that mattered nearly so much as your choice of companion. I'll repeat my findings yet again:

Unless you're geared far beyond the quest level (170?), DPS characters should run this quest with a healer companion.

Loads of DPS characters, especially ranged-DPS, run with tank companions. Tanks won't help you nearly enough here. The Archon will burn them down too quickly, especially because companions don't have AI routines that know to avoid area attacks. DPS companions have the same problem, but with even less hitpoints. The easiest strategy is to run with a healer companion. They keep you alive as you dance about, and you do enough damage that you maintain aggro and keep them from being killed. At that point, it doesn't matter whether you're hitting him with DoT or burst damage

My experience with this quest:

Operative[Conceal] + Lokin: Success

Sniper[Marksman] + Kaliyo: Fail (~70%)

Sniper[Marksman] + Lokin: Success

Marauder[Carnage] + Vette: Fail (60%)

Marauder[Carnage]/162 gear + Vette: Fail (90%)

Marauder[Annihilation]/162 gear + Vette: Fail (80%)

Marauder[Carnage]/162 gear + Quinn: Success (ignored reactors)

I know it is possible to complete the quest as a DPS player with a non-healer companion. However, it is so much easier with the healer companion, that I've never actually failed with a healer companion.

i did it on day 1 with a rakata geared madness hybrid sorc and xalek.

this fight is not hard. people are just not great at the game; which isn't meant to be inflammatory. mmo players have an overinflated sense of their own skill level.

It's a hard fight depending on spec; DoT dps/healing classes shouldn't have much trouble

On my semi-geared tanking Jug I had a lot of trouble targeting the droids until I force pushed the Archon to the edge of the platform, was fairly easy after that though he does a heal which needs to be interrupted.

Healer companion helps a lot but an unlucky RNG/lag will still kill you without much to be done

I have completed this mission 4x with alts but can't complete it with my Powertech + Mako.

I know how the mechanics, but no matter how many Refuelling droids I kill they aren't dropping the item I need to disable the generators :(

I have completed this mission 4x with alts but can't complete it with my Powertech + Mako.

I know how the mechanics, but no matter how many Refuelling droids I kill they aren't dropping the item I need to disable the generators :(

There seems to be a bug (or something) in how it handles multiple attempts. It seems that if you die on your first try after using the rods to disable one or both reactors (thus completing the Bonus), that on your next try the rods don't drop.

You could try to reset the quest and hope that it doesn't force you to redo the entire palace.

I just beat it last night as a level 54 Madness Sorc with Xalek. My moronic companion kept dieing to the laser, and I couldn't handle the Archon's damage output (I'd run out of force just healing myself).

What finally worked for me was ignoring the ads completely, causing the Archon to spam his laser constantly; the attack is easily dodged, and as long as he's using it, he isn't damaging you directly, giving you time to heal and recover your resource.

One way around that is to push him towards the door. Once he's far enough away the shield stops working.

i did it on day 1 with a rakata geared madness hybrid sorc and xalek.

this fight is not hard. people are just not great at the game; which isn't meant to be inflammatory. mmo players have an overinflated sense of their own skill level.

That's not even specific to MMOs. People in general have an overinflated sense of their own skill in pretty much...well, everything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

I've completed it on 6 different characters, and I never took out the generators once. Unless they changed it in a recent update, you don't need to take those out to beat him.

Did it on my Sith Assassin, with mostly Black Hole mods. Died the first time, killed him the second time with a bit more attention. HK-51 as companion. No tactics at all aside from the general MMO tactics - don't stand in stuff, interrupt stuff, do your rotation. Was wondering why I can't loot the isotope rods after the fight, so stumbled upon this page. :)

P.S: Complainers should try Kanrethad in WoW. :p

Edited by Strajder

I tried to do this quest 10 times with my 52 lvl operative. It's abosulutely impossible. It kills me and my companion while I'm killing droids. I done all other quests, so I can't rich 53. Any suggestions?

I tried to do this quest 10 times with my 52 lvl operative. It's abosulutely impossible. It kills me and my companion while I'm killing droids. I done all other quests, so I can't rich 53. Any suggestions?

Of course you can reach 53. Do some dailies or flashpoints or something. Come back when you are level 55, if it's giving you that much trouble.

As for fighting the droid, trying to do the mechanic with the baby droids got me killed, it was as buggy as hell and the game wouldn't let me target them half the time. When I switched to ignoring them, standing behind the droid and just burning down his hit points I did it first time.

Another solution: Bring a friend. I have helped some people do it, and with two players it is laughably easy.

Edited by PLynkes

I hate this boss fight. The basic idea of the mechanics to do it aren't too bad- kill the refueling droids, blow up the generator, or even just quickly dps the archon down.

But every time I fight the guy it's the bugs that kill me.

Untargettable refueling droids.

Droids or the archon appear to be in one place but the game thinks they are somewhere else.

Archon starts the fight full of energy stacks and opens with the mega laser. <-that one required an instance reset

I've soloed him twice and done it once with a group. Both solo endeavors were an exercise in frustration due to the particulars of this fight. Even his non-mega laser damage is not insignificant to a fresh 53-55 with no endgame gear, which is an entirely possible situation for a player who just play straight through.

Of course you can reach 53. Do some dailies or flashpoints or something. Come back when you are level 55, if it's giving you that much trouble.

It's very strange to do daylies before level cap.I didn't think about this. Usually, daylies are for earning money and budges on level cap. Maybe you are right. But it's very strange to level up using daylies.

I tried to do this quest again. I killed about 6-7 spawning baby droids and got killed by archon. I can't imagine how i can kill him if i'm fighting with litle droids all the time. Little droids spawns very often.

Edited by Ulvrid

In my opinion, the problem is that there is too much going on. You can't tab-target repair droids as they enter the scene and I always get knocked back after I get the rod and head to the generator. At least take one of those away.

It's very strange to do daylies before level cap.I didn't think about this. Usually, daylies are for earning money and budges on level cap. Maybe you are right. But it's very strange to level up using daylies..

It can be a great way to level. I tend to finish Corelia around level 47-48. One full run of Belsavis, Ilum and Black Hole gets me to ~51

the boss fight would have been simple for me but it bugged out, even when I took out all the droids I think the Archon kept recharging regardless meaning I literally had to dps faster than he was healing up, and as a tank that was hard...

• 1 month later...
i tried 4 or 5 times. healer companion wouldnt heal or would go up there to punch archon and die quickly or tank companion would die quickly. couldnt target the adds until after they had stopped running. jaessa just kept going right back to the boss to get her ***** kicked in 2 hits. i tried 4 or 5 times and quit. Edited by gankahoe
misspellings

It's tricky, a lot of micro management needed. Took me 4-5 tries on my Merc. Making sure your dumb a** companion isn't standing in AoE laser range was probably the hardest part cause my hand eye and reaction time is pretty bad. If possible try grouping with someone. At least that way losing your companion is that detrimental.

It was a tricky fight, impossible for me at 50, but when I finally ran it at 55 with reasonably decent gear I managed the fight. Had learned the mechanics already, concentrated on killing the droids while my companion (Treek :)) took him down.

I still have characters that have not completed the fight. Definitely a tough one.