BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I figured I'd drop my thoughts about Merc/Commando 2.0 after testing both DPS specs.

Still sucks.

And it took me quite a while to realize this...But, all the AC got, was more outs, and BW tells us that we need to kite, hug the wall etc...

Well, here's the problem, BW: we don't have neither of the two requirements for kiting like that, which are either instant casts, or heavy DoTs.

I agree, the Merc can now escape situations a lot better, but what does that mean? As we are a turret class, it means we can run for our lives, but not much else (by running, we lose majority of our DPS), which doesn't really benefit our team at all.

Picture if they gave these abilities to a sniper. The sniper would do jack **** with these most of the time, as their best defense is their DMG while possessing the requirement for a turret class, the cover.

After seeing the performance of the already overpowered ACs like Sorcs, Smashers and Snipers, and the new Operative DPS, I've lost the last bit of hope for the devs...Yes, operative DPS needed a fix, but operatives already held the #1 healer spot in rankeds, what did the Merc hold? Nothing. The Merc has been absolutely useless the entire existence of this pathetic Pre-Season 1, and BW intends to keep it that way.

I said it over 6 months ago, and I'll say it again: The only thing that saves Mercs, are either instant casts, cover system (or similar immunity to interrupts/leaps/pulls), or heavy DoTs. Pick one BW.

Anyway, I wish all the Mercs (and Commandos) the best of luck with 2.0. My account info tells me I have 0 days left to play. So, on that bombshell, I bid you all farewell.

Edited by SneiK

So that gunnery gets three charges with the talent? Yes. Absolutely agree. 3 Charges of TO with a 30s cooldown? Now we're cooking with gas (in PVP anyway).

That's too much for a 30 sec CD (from talent, original 60 sec CD) AND base 2 making it 3 from talent. It's one or the other.

Well, I figured I'd drop my thoughts about Merc/Commando 2.0 after testing both DPS specs.

Still sucks.

And it took me quite a while to realize this...But, all the AC got, was more outs, and BW tells us that we need to kite, hug the wall etc...

Well, here's the problem, BW: we don't have neither of the two requirements for kiting like that, which are either instant casts, or heavy DoTs.

I agree, the Merc can now escape situations a lot better, but what does that mean? As we are a turret class, it means we can run for our lives, but not much else (by running, we lose majority of our DPS), which doesn't really benefit our team at all.

Picture if they gave these abilities to a sniper. The sniper would do jack **** with these most of the time, as their best defense is their DMG while possessing the requirement for a turret class, the cover.

After seeing the performance of the already overpowered ACs like Sorcs, Smashers and Snipers, and the new Operative DPS, I've lost the last bit of hope for the devs...Yes, operative DPS needed a fix, but operatives already held the #1 healer spot in rankeds, what did the Merc hold? Nothing. The Merc has been absolutely useless the entire existence of this pathetic Pre-Season 1, and BW intends to keep it that way.

I said it over 6 months ago, and I'll say it again: The only thing that saves Mercs, are either instant casts, cover system (or similar immunity to interrupts/leaps/pulls), or heavy DoTs. Pick one BW.

Anyway, I wish all the Mercs (and Commandos) the best of luck with 2.0. My account info tells me I have 0 days left to play. So, on that bombshell, I bid you all farewell.

I agree. I don't play merc/commando. I rolled a GS instead. Almost %95 of the time I win 1v1 against those ACs and I'm not the greatest.

Part me thinks that all this complaining about this AC is funny to BW; Mainly because we're all complaining about the way they intended the class to play; hi-tailing it 24/7. I think the DPS in the class needs to be in par with gunslingers. However, is it just me that finds it funny pistols do more damage than canons???

That's too much for a 30 sec CD (from talent, original 60 sec CD) AND base 2 making it 3 from talent. It's one or the other.

Hmmm.....no I think it's about right. Once every 30 seconds, we are allowed to get our setup out uninterrupted. Completely. What's wrong about that again?

Keep in mind we think Charged Bolts should be an instant cast in the Assault tree.

There is so much work needed on the Commando. Some of you are sure settling for a very minor help to the woefully bad Commando.For me I'm talking about PvP.PvE is so easy that its a waste of breath to even debate it.

Every day I have players completely ignoring me while I tickle them with my best stuff. When I get on my sniper I realize how impotent and useless Commando's really are.

Today I had an opposing player run up to me, realize what class I was, and just ran past getting into a real fight with a shadow.

A net??? We need a major dps INCREASE as well as other stuff. I should have two skills that if allowed to get off would do the same damage as a Sniper in the same scenario. If I'm left alone for two or three shots on my Sniper,

well, forget about it.

What a laughable mess the Commando is in PvP

We are all in love with a class that is fundamentally poorly designed for pvp and all we can hope for is bandaid fixes that mitigates some of the poor mechanic we have to struggle with.

Exactly as i was afraid off before any info was leaked, we will be at rank 55 what we should have been at 50 all along, and quite possibly not even that would make us wanted for ranked pvp.

The very thought that a hardcasting, slowmoving class without any way to dps while moving and no real defences against melee ~ would ever be succesful in pvp is just...no, no! Its not gonna work, and its been proven in pretty much every warzone and by every player since launch.

We are not just struggling against bad design choices, we are struggling against our whole class mechanic, wich sadly is not likely to change.

We need sufficient defences to get away from melee and *instant* cast attacks. This goes against our class design.

I for one am tired of bending over so any melee player within range can park his bike up my buttcrack, im an inch from dumping this class forever. :(

Healers: re-roll a sorc or operative depending on your tastes

DPS: re-roll a powertech

Bioware made it clear they don't care about you - move on and grind a new toon before the expansion

I'm not trolling just being a realist

DPS Mercs might be ok, actually pyro will be fine

Healer Mercs will be as useful as someone DC'ing in ranked - re-roll

pyro merc is not fine, it has the same issues as arsenal merc: reliance on casted abilities to reach full DPS potential.

and many of us *HAVE* rerolled. i went to the darkside and rolled a powertech. that does not mean that i do not want to see my favorite class in the game finally receive some attention and proper balance changes so that i can play it again.

we should be forced to reroll if we want to be effective.

Healers: re-roll a sorc or operative depending on your tastes

DPS: re-roll a powertech

Bioware made it clear they don't care about you - move on and grind a new toon before the expansion

I'm not trolling just being a realist

DPS Mercs might be ok, actually pyro will be fine

Healer Mercs will be as useful as someone DC'ing in ranked - re-roll

I know your advice is true and given in good faith. I shall now go reroll or quit cause those are my only options.

I know your advice is true and given in good faith. I shall now go reroll or quit cause those are my only options.

yes, despite having over 1,000 tech bonus power on my mercenary and hitting people like a thermo-nuclear missile, I should just forget the class despite getting high levels of damage and kills with low-levels of death.

The very thought that a hardcasting, slowmoving class without any way to dps while moving and no real defences against melee ~ would ever be succesful in pvp is just...no, no! Its not gonna work, and its been proven in pretty much every warzone and by every player since launch.

We are not just struggling against bad design choices, we are struggling against our whole class mechanic, wich sadly is not likely to change.

We need sufficient defences to get away from melee and *instant* cast attacks. This goes against our class design.

I for one am tired of bending over so any melee player within range can park his bike up my buttcrack, im an inch from dumping this class forever. :(

^^^ couldn't agree more. all that needs to be done is adjust damage and type.

pyro merc is not fine, it has the same issues as arsenal merc: reliance on casted abilities to reach full DPS potential.

and many of us *HAVE* rerolled. i went to the darkside and rolled a powertech. that does not mean that i do not want to see my favorite class in the game finally receive some attention and proper balance changes so that i can play it again.

we should be forced to reroll if we want to be effective.

there HAS to be a fair-minded Dev around here that can see the obvious issues and pattern of failure plaguing these classes...even without sifting thru 1000+ posts.

PT/VG = aweseome. Merc/Cmdo = suck.

what's the main differences?

instant cast and damage type.

class fixed.

i'd resub for an instant cast merc. (power shot) *EDIT* i haven't played in months, and coming here makes me realize, i don't miss it. nothing is changing for the class. a few small band-aids. they are not correcting the issues that make merc unplayable in PvP and low-tier DPS in PvE. i just don't get it. everyone knows how awesome (some would even say OP) PT/VG is...THE MIRROR SPEC OF MERC/COMMANDO!!!!!

am i the only one that finds that both ironic and maddening?

Edited by T-Assassin

Make Mortar Volley a knock down, root, and auto crit in PvP and on the same CD as smash. If you get caught in the retarded green reticle, you're stuck eating 6 ticks of Mortar Volley at ~1200-1500 a tick. That puts its damage on par with smash. This could also possibly provide a counter to sniper that's not a stealther. :rak_04:

Then take Grav Round and put it solely on the GCD not the cast. It provides the same effect, plus can be used on the move and can't be interrupted. Also give Commando/Merc the ability to get cryo back to 30M. :rak_03:

Then make Heavy armor offer resistance to elemental and internal damage.

Or finally, make smash a 3 second interrupt-able cast and 1 minute CD like every other main aoe attack (Fly By, Force Quake).

Edited by Lowyjowylof

How about this? Cut the cooldown on elelctronet in half, and add immunity to interrupts to Hold the Line. That ought to make Commandos more competitive in pvp.

hold the line is supposed to be an escape skill.

why would we want immunity to interrupts, which means we are sitting in place casting, on an ability designed to give you a short burst of high mobility

why would we want immunity to interrupts, which means we are sitting in place casting, on an ability designed to give you a short burst of high mobility

It's a choice. I can either run away or stand and fight. And since Hold the Line also makes you immune to physics, nothing can stop your casting other than a hard stun.

I actually wish the talent in gunnery to increase it also gave it immunity to interrupts tbh. Would be an awesome PVP talent and yes it would make you have to decide what you wanted to do.

Could also make it let you cast on the move. Just saying.

Give Commandos/Mercs a passive skill which makes it possible to cast abilities while on the move. Always.

Pros

-Increased survivability (kite - cast, kite - cast!).

-Increased damage while on the move.

-It's Commando/Merc exclusive (Crazy thought huh?).

-It's gonna look bad-***.

-Commando/Merc healers will have an easier time keeping up.

Trade-offs

-Damage/Heals stays where it is (Fine by me, even with 2.0).

-Still interruptible (fair in my opinion).

I admitt there's gonna have to be some tweaking here and there but still, Commandos/Mercs need this kind of skill to be competitive as it is. The discussion about interrupt immunity during hold the line and lower cooldown on this and that are cool ideas but merely band-aids.

I know it's been mentioned before but hey, why not? Commandos/Mercs are in a bad position as it is both on Live and PTS. Throw us a bone (or Corpse in this case) Bioware!

Give Commandos/Mercs a passive skill which makes it possible to cast abilities while on the move. Always.

Pros

-Increased survivability (kite - cast, kite - cast!).

-Increased damage while on the move.

-It's Commando/Merc exclusive (Crazy thought huh?).

-It's gonna look bad-***.

-Commando/Merc healers will have an easier time keeping up.

Trade-offs

-Damage/Heals stays where it is (Fine by me, even with 2.0).

-Still interruptible (fair in my opinion).

I admitt there's gonna have to be some tweaking here and there but still, Commandos/Mercs need this kind of skill to be competitive as it is. The discussion about interrupt immunity during hold the line and lower cooldown on this and that are cool ideas but merely band-aids.

I know it's been mentioned before but hey, why not? Commandos/Mercs are in a bad position as it is both on Live and PTS. Throw us a bone (or Corpse in this case) Bioware!

Would rather have 10s of interrupt immunity every 30 tbh =P

I dunno that this is the right idea, but it would be less OP than always having instant casts.

SOMETHING needs to be done. That much is obvious. But at this point I wonder if anything but a complete tearing down and redesign of the class isn't a band-aid.