Is Revan overrated?

Tekkoclarky

Since when?

Calling people trolls is banned in this community, you'll be given a warning, you are meant to flag and move on, if you believe they are a troll.

EDIT: You called it a pointless excuse to complain, I am stating why it isn't such.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling people trolls is banned in this community, you'll be given a warning, you are meant to flag and move on, if you believe they are a troll.

EDIT: You called it a pointless excuse to complain, I am stating why it isn't such.

He/she did not have to bring it up in the forums... Undoubtedly would cause I big rage. Ok yeah yours/the op opinions are saying revan is not what he has been told to be, but forcing your opinions on other people is not what you should do here due to revan lovers. (No, offense guys I like him to.)

He/she did not have to bring it up in the forums... Undoubtedly would cause I big rage. Ok yeah yours/the op opinions are saying revan is not what he has been told to be, but forcing your opinions on other people is not what you should do here due to revan lovers. (No, offense guys I like him to.)

We are not stating people shouldn't like him, but people forcing their fanboyism and opinions on threads about canon fact is going to tick people off, especially considering it happens all the time.

We are not stating people shouldn't like him, but people forcing their fanboyism and opinions on threads about canon fact is going to tick people off, especially considering it happens all the time.

I agree people shouldn't force their opinions on anyone, but your just doing the same thing only the opposite.

Just now learned that Revan was also able to resist & fight the Emperor's influence & torture for centuries.....that requires massive will & force power. He was brave & brilliant to war against the Republic when really, he was just toughening them up, readying his own campaign against Vitiate at the same time.

Just now learned that Revan was also able to resist & fight the Emperor's influence & torture for centuries.....that requires massive will & force power. He was brave & brilliant to war against the Republic when really, he was just toughening them up, readying his own campaign against Vitiate at the same time.

I think meetra was feeding him force/strength to help resist the emperor.

I think meetra was feeding him force/strength to help resist the emperor.

She wasn't just helping him, she was the only reason he could.

Also, in reply to your reply:

No, we aren't forcing opinions on anybody, we are stating what his real canon abilities are like, and discrediting all these opinions that he was one of the most powerful ever, because that is simply not true.

He was brave & brilliant to war against the Republic when really, he was just toughening them up, readying his own campaign against Vitiate at the same time.

No the canon states that he became a puppet to the Emperor when he and Malak faced him on Dromund Kaas, they were instantly mind-controlled and Darth Revan and Darth Malak, their new personas were made to attack the Republic, they did not do that of their own will.

Is he overrated?

Maybe, but whatev. He's still a cool guy. (Not many people can master both the light AND dark sides of the force.)

Personally, I think someone more overrated is HK-47. He's a droid who's mean and says "meatbag" every two seconds. Uh... yay?

(On another note is how people constantly keep asking how to get HK-51, the "reincarnation" of HK-47, as a companion. Without realizing he was only a placeholder for companions still in development that has since been removed.)

Is he overrated?

Maybe, but whatev. He's still a cool guy. (Not many people can master both the light AND dark sides of the force.)

Personally, I think someone more overrated is HK-47. He's a droid who's mean and says "meatbag" every two seconds. Uh... yay?

(On another note is how people constantly keep asking how to get HK-51, the "reincarnation" of HK-47, as a companion. Without realizing he was only a placeholder for companions still in development that has since been removed.)

For now, they gonna make him a companion in patch 1.3

No, we aren't forcing opinions on anybody, we are stating what his real canon abilities are like, and discrediting all these opinions that he was one of the most powerful ever, because that is simply not true.

Yes, say what you want I do not care. Think what you wanna think. I think what I wanna think.

(Not many people can master both the light AND dark sides of the force.)

This is fandom and isn't canon, no canonical source states he mastered either, he only walked their paths and after his 'rebirth' he was more balanced, and found a small state of oneness, but it didn't last, he was soon knocked out by Vitiate's lightning.

He may have had help, but I believe his own will was there. He always had a strong will. It's how he originally broke free of the Emperor's control, at least partially.

Like I stated, without Meetra Surik, He would never have been able to in the first place.

He didn't break free of his will, the Emperor simply stopped focusing on him and gradually he gained his mind back and forgot everything that had happened.

No the canon states that he became a puppet to the Emperor when he and Malak faced him on Dromund Kaas, they were instantly mind-controlled and Darth Revan and Darth Malak, their new personas were made to attack the Republic, they did not do that of their own will.

It's also stated that he AT LEAST partially broke free of the Emperor's influence. So yes, that whole campaign, was at least in part of his grander design I mentioned.

Like I stated, without Meetra Surik, He would never have been able to in the first place.

He didn't break free of his will, the Emperor simply stopped focusing on him and gradually he gained his mind back and forgot everything that had happened.

It is again stated that the Emperor underestimated Revan's will. That he began doing some things of his own accord, stopped communicating with him, THEN the Emperor thought he failed or was dead.

You seem to have this ant-Revan bias, seems personal to you, lol.

It's also stated that he AT LEAST partially broke free of the Emperor's influence. So yes, that whole campaign, was at least in part of his grander design I mentioned.

Read the above.

He had no grand plan, his only real plan was to convert the Jedi following him at Malachor V, but Mandalore told Revan that he had been betrayed by a Sith Lord, and told him where to go, eventually he gets to Dromund Kaas, him and Alek(Malak) go undercover for around six months, trying to figure out how to get to the Emperor, and we've already discussed what happened after that.

Personally, i like revan

He is not some uber-god, but rallying jedi against the mandolorians takes courage and charisma. Also, i think he is one of the few characters to go from light to dark back to light. Then again I am not an EU-encyclopedia so i could be wrong.

point: he deserves some credit, is not infallible/immortal/unstoppable

Except Revan and Malak eventually broke free of the Emperor's control. Revan proclaimed himself Dark Lord of the Sith and started his campaign against the Republic of his own free will; to forge an Empire of his own. I should also point out that Revan never meant to cripple the Republic, he sought to keep it intact enough so he could build upon its current infrastructure and military to prepare for the Sith Empire's invasion. As G0-T0 itself pointed out, it was Malak who ruined these plans and became bloodthirsty. Revan never "cleaned up his own mess" as you pointed out before. After realizing the truth, he chose to redeem himself and stop Malak's senseless destruction. He then chose to leave known space and face the great evil his fractured memories revealed to him. There is no way Revan could have predicted the Jedi would fall so far and allow themselves to be picked off by the Triumvirate or that Bastila would not get involved at all...for a reason that later had to be filled in.

Now, for the topic at hand, any character is going to have their accomplishments or attributes blown out of proportion by that character's fans. The bias for Revan falls both ways: people who raise Revan on a pedestal as some god among Jedi and those who are so blinded by their dislike for the character that they can't even acknowledge anything the character has accomplished. Revan was no god-like character, nor was he insignificant. Thing is, Revan was unique and did great things. It has nothing to do with fanboyism, or lore, or anything like that. Its simply he was a video game character. Any character you play is going to be unique and above-and-beyond in some ways because that is what makes the character interesting to play. Playing an average-Joe who is not special, or who did not accomplish great feats is boring for the vast majority of gamers and it just makes them uninteresting characters in general. Is Revan on par with, say, Luke Skywalker or Palpatine? No, but to completely disregard his feats and accomplishments simply because another character did it better or accomplished more is completely ridiculous.

Except Revan and Malak eventually broke free of the Emperor's control. Revan proclaimed himself Dark Lord of the Sith and started his campaign against the Republic of his own free will; to forge an Empire of his own. I should also point out that Revan never meant to cripple the Republic, he sought to keep it intact enough so he could build upon its current infrastructure and military to prepare for the Sith Empire's invasion. As G0-T0 itself pointed out, it was Malak who ruined these plans and became bloodthirsty. Revan never "cleaned up his own mess" as you pointed out before. After realizing the truth, he chose to redeem himself and stop Malak's senseless destruction. He then chose to leave known space and face the great evil his fractured memories revealed to him. There is no way Revan could have predicted the Jedi would fall so far and allow themselves to be picked off by the Triumvirate or that Bastila would not get involved at all...for a reason that later had to be filled in.

All we know that is canonical about that exact lore is this:

Gradually due to distance and a lack of concentration on their minds from Vitiate, they were relieved of his mind-controlling abilities, it never however, states when this happened.

But it didn't matter, they had both already fallen to the Dark Side, before even Malachor V, they had already betrayed the Republic, now they were just resuming their eventual plans.

Also Revan was cleaning up the mess he had made out of the Revanchist faction, he had warped them into a dark jedi empire, which Malak had taken over, if Revan hadn't have fallen to the Dark Side, a lot of what happened could have been reverted, if he had allowed the Jedi to investigate the real threat behind the Mandalorians, they may have been able to find out about the Empire, giving themselves an advantage.

Wrong, the Lost Tribe has plenty of Pureblood Sith.

Those sith were stranded from the hyperspace wars and have no connection to the current empire of TOR. No one knows they exist until after Luke establishes the new Jedi order.

Also Revan was cleaning up the mess he had made out of the Revanchist faction, he had warped them into a dark jedi empire, which Malak had taken over, if Revan hadn't have fallen to the Dark Side, a lot of what happened could have been reverted, if he had allowed the Jedi to investigate the real threat behind the Mandalorians, they may have been able to find out about the Empire, giving themselves an advantage.

Or at a disadvantage since the Republic was losing the war. Even if they did eventually find out about the Sith Empire's influence in the war, what would it gain them? The Emperor never planned to launch his invasion with the Mandalorians, they were just there to weaken the Republic. If Revan and his followers hadn't intervened, who knows how much of the Republic would have even been left standing? The Jedi had to join the war at some point; the conflict and Revan's fall were inevitable since his lust for knowledge of all things related to the Force went unchecked. Even if the entire Order had gone to war, Revan's leadership still would have shone through, he would still lead the Republic in the war, he would still have been given 1/3rd of the Republic's forces to command, and he still would have chased the Mandalorians and found the clues that lead him to Dromund Kass. The Council left Revan and all of his followers unsupervised during the entire war even after they feared what war would do to their inexperienced members. I highly doubt that kind of carelessness and neglect would have changed even if the Order had waited to join the conflict.

that isnt what it say in the book of revan. The emperor was mind controling malak and Revan, just like it did with his guard. But he understimate their strengh. and yes partialy both malak, and Revan were able to resist his influence. They even start to beviele that they were doing what they were doing for them selfs.

You are just trying so hard to make revan a very comon and not powerfull jedi, when it isnt true at all.

Revan has its place in the elite of force users on star wars universe, and that is is enough.

Edited by Spartanik

Or at a disadvantage since the Republic was losing the war. Even if they did eventually find out about the Sith Empire's influence in the war, what would it gain them? The Emperor never planned to launch his invasion with the Mandalorians, they were just there to weaken the Republic. If Revan and his followers hadn't intervened, who knows how much of the Republic would have even been left standing? The Jedi had to join the war at some point; the conflict and Revan's fall were inevitable since his lust for knowledge of all things related to the Force went unchecked. Even if the entire Order had gone to war, Revan's leadership still would have shone through, he would still lead the Republic in the war, he would still have been given 1/3rd of the Republic's forces to command, and he still would have chased the Mandalorians and found the clues that lead him to Dromund Kass. The Council left Revan and all of his followers unsupervised during the entire war even after they feared what war would do to their inexperienced members. I highly doubt that kind of carelessness and neglect would have changed even if the Order had waited to join the conflict.

Big flaw with your entire argument, surprise was the only reason the Sith Empire took so much of the galaxy so quickly, once the republic started to really fight back, the Empire panicked, they brought in the Mandalorians, when they failed, they took Coruscant hostage, if the Republic would have known about them, they could have prepared for them, instead of just rebuilding, and the Republic wouldn't have lost the Great Galactic War.