Tanking in DPS gear?

mdimech

I was leveling up in PVP as a deception dps and I decided to get a shield generator and try tanking. I enjoy it a lot. I've been talking to some peeps in game and I have found many of them that tank in DPS gear (other than the shield) in PVP. As my assassin in an alt, I don't know too much about PVPing with her. If I want to tank in PVP, do I need full tanking gear or is it viable to use a mix?

If you are using a Shield Generator outside of Dark Charge stance, you really aren't shielding anything.

Using a Shield Generator instead of a Focus will greatly lower the output of your Force based attacks (yellow damage)

I would not recommend using a Shield Generator outside of Dark Charge stance. Strongly not recommend it. Would not be in the same Warzone or Flashpoint with someone that was.

shield and absorb are pretty much broken in pvp, so it´s not so bad going with dps gear and a shield offhand. I even think it´s fairly normal to use endurance heavy dps enhancements and defence mods. Anyways before level 50 it doesn´t mater much.

shield and absorb are pretty much broken in pvp, so it´s not so bad going with dps gear and a shield offhand. I even think it´s fairly normal to use endurance heavy dps enhancements and defence mods. Anyways before level 50 it doesn´t mater much.

Tanking stats of any variety, except for endurance, are not as effective as dps stats in pvp. The reasons are:

1. You are rarely a high priority target as a tank. Priority is usually healers, hardest hitting dps, then what is left.

2. Tanking stats only mitigate ranged and melee attacks. Most attacks are force and tech. You will be pretty effective at mitigate damage by carnage marauders and marksman snipers, but they are specialized in killing healers. Bottom Line: You are the last person they will attack.

3. You need to do damage as a tank. You will help out your group more if you have high endurance with dps gear than with high endurance with tanking gear. Tanking stats are more for pve, where you need long-term survivablity. Tanking in pvp is more like providing an extra health pool for a healer and doing as much damage as you can. DPS gear will also make you better at defending nodes, because you are much better at 1v1. Your teammates have more than enough time to get to your node if you call out incoming, so there is no need to stack tanking stats.

In summary: Tanks in pvp should stack high endurance and dps stats. Tanks should not stack tanking stats, and it is not even recommended to use a shield.

Edited by bbare

I was leveling up in PVP as a deception dps and I decided to get a shield generator and try tanking. I enjoy it a lot. I've been talking to some peeps in game and I have found many of them that tank in DPS gear (other than the shield) in PVP. As my assassin in an alt, I don't know too much about PVPing with her. If I want to tank in PVP, do I need full tanking gear or is it viable to use a mix?

Frankly, I wouldn't even use a shield.

I ping-pong back and forth between tank hybrid (standard 23/1/17) and Wakajinn, and don't change anything except stim and lightsaber charge. Full DPS gear 24/7 (though I might make a super-Defense + super-HP set specifically for Huttball at some point, as I have a bunch of END augs laying around doing nothing).

Cooldowns and stance basically give you the above-average survival abilities you need, and you'll do more to contribute with offensive gear.

However, Assassin doesn't actually make that fantastic of a "tank" in PVP, compared to Juggy (or, to a lesser extent, PT, though Shieldtech is an awful PVP spec). What it is, though, is just about the most capable solo guard in existence. Between stealth, oodles of CC, long TTK, and decent DPS, you can duel just about anyone to a standstill and delay multiple attackers long enough to get backup.

If you want to play a classic tank in PVP, investigate Juggy. It is significantly sturdier and has abilities better suited to real tanking. Assassin does okay as an offtank, but is more of a utility spec/guard as opposed to a meatshield.

Just having a shield and no other tank gear would give you 20% chance to reduce incoming damage by 20% so if averaged over time, you will mitigate about 4% of the kind of incoming damage that can be shielded.

If you have Dark ard then it's 35% and 20% giving you a 7% migitation against damage that can be shielded.

With points in Hollow too you can get as much as 35% and 24% giving you 8.4%

But considering that many classes do most or all of their damage with force/tech abilities that can't be shielded anyway, you aren't really getting that much out of a shield in pvp and yet you lower your own dps a lot by using it.

doing dps in tank stance either for assassins or juggs (hybrids) is fine, for me, I always have 2 sets, if I'm to guard a node or carry a ball, I swap to tank stuff (for guarding I leave 4 piece dps armour for set bonus and some crit+surge, for ball carrying I go full tank since my job is to carry the ball of doom)

as for 'tanks being usless in pvp', other then Lethality snipers and smash monkies (pyro PT's main hitter is still rail shot), you are the shield and spare hp for healer (guard), you are that guy who interrupt caps, or spams cap so enemy team HAVE to attack you and let dps do their job.

Ofcourse if you have 3 tanks and 3 healers, to win a WZ you need other team to be stupid and out tactic them instead of out DPS , and since 80% population is dumb, they preffer to out dps then outsmart.

BUT, as said, before L 50, it doesnt really matter. try going full tank stats (with endu>tank stats if possible) just for self heal + the fact that many people don't haveaccuracy in lowbie WZ, if yuo get def chance to 22%, and their chance to hit is 83%, you should parry 1/3 of attacks.

Here's an idea that I've been doing lately, using an orange shield generator but with the Elite War Hero Force Master Focus mods/enhancements/etc, running 23/1/17. Now you have that extra shield bonus from passive stats and Dark Ward, without sacrificing any Power or damage.

The amount of shielding and absorption depends on what gear you're wearing though, but a little bit of mitigation adds up. Not to mention, the reduced CD for Force Shroud comes into effect whenever you shield something.

Here's an idea that I've been doing lately, using an orange shield generator but with the Elite War Hero Force Master Focus mods/enhancements/etc, running 23/1/17. Now you have that extra shield bonus from passive stats and Dark Ward, without sacrificing any Power or damage.

The amount of shielding and absorption depends on what gear you're wearing though, but a little bit of mitigation adds up. Not to mention, the reduced CD for Force Shroud comes into effect whenever you shield something.

No, you're still loosing 217 force power - a focus with a 61 armoring in it gives 649 force power, while a shield with the same armoring in it only gives 432.

There IS still a lot of damage coming from m/r attacks in PVP (marskman snipers, carnage marauders, powertech railshots, assassin trash/assassinate etc) though, so building a real tanking set for an assassin for ball carrying and node guarding should be worth it. My own planned build will have 30% defense, 64% shield and 51% absorb with 25.5k HP. Raising the shield chance higher than that is pointless (since crits can't be shielded and it's pretty much already at the point where every non-crit hit will be shielded), but it can't be traded for any other tank stat anyway. Probably best to still go for the 23/1/17 spec though, CCing should provide better mitigation than wither+the self heal, and death field is really useful for interupting caps at range.

Well, for pure tank job like ball carrying or node guarding, 22/17/2 is far best IMHO

for being an extra hp for healer 31/0/10 is better (as you want to be next to him (10 m range attacks) and heal your self as much as possible so healer heals team - 3 stacks + lightning/dirt breath)...

but that's just me.

Well, for pure tank job like ball carrying or node guarding, 22/17/2 is far best IMHO

for being an extra hp for healer 31/0/10 is better (as you want to be next to him (10 m range attacks) and heal your self as much as possible so healer heals team - 3 stacks + lightning/dirt breath)...

but that's just me.

Yeah, but in that situation, you still need to take into account that there will be less damage to heal if you can CC people, so I still think the 23/1/17 spec would be better. Deviating just slightly from the normal DPS spec and getting dark ward with only 1 point in shroud of darkness would then even allow you to switch role with just a quick gear change without having to respec, so you could ninja a node with DPS gear and then quickly change over to tank gear for guarding it.

Yeah, but in that situation, you still need to take into account that there will be less damage to heal if you can CC people, so I still think the 23/1/17 spec would be better. Deviating just slightly from the normal DPS spec and getting dark ward with only 1 point in shroud of darkness would then even allow you to switch role with just a quick gear change without having to respec, so you could ninja a node with DPS gear and then quickly change over to tank gear for guarding it.

Ofcourse, it depends on players. I have healer in my guild who always asks me to go DPS stance so I will kill people around him instead of guarding him with ability. don't get me wrong, I do love 23/1/17 as it's a 'safe option' for most pugs, but if it's good for everything, it's not best for any (or something like that)-with exception for ninja, it's freacking awesome for ninja