I'm Finding it Hard to Play a Dark Side Character, Suggestions?

Berronaxftw

I think when she goes DS, her true personality she was hiding all life finally reveals and she's happier than before actually.

Yes, I'm sure she was just subconsiously harbouring a deep contempt for everyone she'd ever cared for. That sounds entirely likely.

Edited by Bleeters

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comes off naturally on my Warrior and my Inquisitor.

Dark Side is not about evil. It's about conscious choice (Darth Bane, Exar Kun), or accepting a someone else's choice made for you (Anakin). Those who are conflicted, either abandon the Dark Side, or are destroyed by it.

The Dark Side is a very defined path, and a rather straightforward world view. According to its philosophy, the centre of being is you, and all that matters is you and your power. And that is not just a religious outlook. That's the way the Dark Side affects one's mind, gradually silencing mercy, charity, love, making more space for nothing but hatred (evident in Sith who reached the most power - Bane, Sidious, etc.).

Evaluating an individual, a Sith sees what the person can do for them and what he can do against them. To a Sith, other people are either assets, enemies, or creatures unworthy of notice. The helpless ones - the downtrodden, the weak, the poor, don't inspire mercy in a Sith. Usually it's apathy and and contempt. They deserve their suffering because they are weak, because they do not raise their heads, because they do not fight for what they think they deserve.

To play a convincing Dark Side Sith you must get their mindset - despising all weakness. Exposing oneself, entrusting yourself to another, leaving oneself at another's mercy. Such displays inspire nothing but hate and contempt (apathy, in best cases), on which he can choose to act - not because he thinks that it's the right thing to do, but because he can. Because he has the power, because he knows he will get away with it and because he is irritated.

Granted, choosing only DS options in SWToR make your character look like an idiot, or a madman. But it is relatively easy to avoid dumb choices, as long as you keep the Sith ideals and mindset in consideration

As of right now, I have a lvl 29 sith Juggernaut and he has only made DS choices. He holds the Empire above all. The Sixth code runs deep in him. He will take bribes and hand over innocent for the views of the empire. He is learning now that to become a Darth and rise above his master is to make "in the moment" decisions that benefits him and the empire. To this, he will start making some LS choices as he learns being pure evil will get him no where but instead to look out for both his interests and empires, not just the empires alone.

He doesn't like to kill vital assets to the empire as Lord Bar as has made him do in the past unless they truly deserve it.

As the title says.. I want to play a dark side character because I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of lore if I don't..

You don`t miss out on any lore (Bioware did not expect certain alignment choices for the course of the classes stories), so play however you like.

Also, more often than not, dark side choices actually hurt the empire's long term goals (making allies or friends often yields better results thank just killing everybody).

Therefore being light side comes rather easy for any imperial, who likes not simply being a dick (because that is what dark side choices often boil down to). A honorable, but uncompromising Sith which hates the Jedi/Republic and wants the Empire to win the war (and is not only in it for the joys of abusing others) will likely be neutral or light sided under this system, rather than darksided.

This thread is interesting. When I was playing KOTOR 1, after beating the game 3 times, I simply couldn't choose any dark side option because I always regretted my actions. However, here in SWTOR, most of my choices vary from light to darkside options (with a slight prevalence of the first ones) It depends of the context, some areas tend to show the darkside options as chaotic murdering, and the others as severe punishments.

My vision of my character is a dominant one, however he dislikes unjustified killing and careless actions (he identifies those actions with stupidity), the last mission I played was about an unfaithful wife who gave imperial secrets to a republican womanizer spy. The first part was quite obvious, kill the spy. However, the second one was very tough for me. If she wouldn't have given imperial secrets to that spy, I would have spared her. She deserved a punishment, but not death. However, even if she didn't know he was a spy, no sane person would have messed with such important information. Not specially in the Empire where the punishment is usually death. I was sorry for her, I don't like to kill someone with terror in his/her eyes, but there were loose ends in the conversation, and I had to fill the gaps with imagination (for example, asking for more details about how did she find the data) Also, she might have seduced her husband to gain access to military secrets and then playing dumb to pass them to the republic. It was another possibility. At least, her death was quick.

There are things both in the Jedi Code and in the Sith Code which are very shortsighted. For example, both Sith and Jedi, dissuade about love, because it can take you to the other side of the Force. The Force (Darkside or Lightside) have many uses, it's a tool. You are not a slave of it, and knowledge of other options is always possitive, it gives you multiple paths to follow. Punish those who are against you, and help your allies to become strong (not to mention that those who didn't oppose to you can be useful in the long-term) I can't avoid it, but I see my self as a Revanite. Revan was the first force user I know about who was truly free

And taking the things a bit further, I find the mysterious concept of the Force fascinating. Not only its secrets, but also the ways it can give you real freedom. For an inquisitor, it would be incredibly useful to have some dark power to read other people's mind. Torture may be recreational for the most sadist siths, but that is an empty action for me, it doesn't give me pleasure. However, reading the thoughts of other people, or changing them forcibly to make them fit in your long-term vision of the world, is more fulfilling

Edited by Arkonor

And taking the things a bit further, I find the mysterious concept of the Force fascinating. Not only its secrets, but also the ways it can give you real freedom. For an inquisitor, it would be incredibly useful to have some dark power to read other people's mind. Torture may be recreational for the most sadist siths, but that is an empty action for me, it doesn't give me pleasure. However, reading the thoughts of other people, or changing them forcibly to make them fit in your long-term vision of the world, is more fulfilling

Torture is a form of mind control, just throwing it in there.

It's like comparing a bike vs a motorcycle
Both get you from A to B, one does the job better. Not that I'm condoning torture or anything. And I definitely see the benefits of making the enemy see through your eyes, however not all enemies have uses. Edited by Beniboybling

It's like comparing a bike vs a motorcycle

Not really, effective torture breaks the will, which can then be bent to your bidding. So it is a form of mind control, The pain is just a medium through which it is excerted, not that the person feeling the pain would agree.

Not really, effective torture breaks the will, which can then be bent to your bidding. So it is a form of mind control, The pain is just a medium through which it is excerted, not that the person feeling the pain would agree.

It doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the information. People can say anything to avoid the pain. If you don't have time enough to check that information, it's better to dig in their thoughs

It doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the information. People can say anything to avoid the pain. If you don't have time enough to check that information, it's better to dig in their thoughs
True, but if they have the information your looking for, that's the first thing they are going to tell you. In fact it would require more thought and more bravery to lie.

But of course if they don't know anything its just a waste of time, nonetheless my SI have never tortured anyone who doesn't have something he wants.

Torture also has other uses (don't I sound like a sadisitc evildoer) it can instil fear in your enemies, and loyalty in allies and vice versa. In fact normally its used to get someone to do something, rather than tell you something Which is much more effective than attempting to reason with them, or promise to give them something.

Role-play your character as one wanting to change the Empire from the inside for better. Not sure how it is with Warrior and BH, but Inquisitor and Agent both have multiple options to directly state in the game that this is what they want to do/their goal

Then perhaps you should approach the story differently. Your original backstory is a good one, but here's another, one the SW story itself facilitates for:

You are a Sith, but you are not evil. Upon beginning your training you quickly became disenchanted with the Sith ways (as you as a person have). But instead of defecting from the Empire which you hold in such high esteem, you attempt to reform it from the inside, by rising in power and influence and making yourself an example to others. It is not always necessarily to slaughter innocents, torture, back stab and betray, your enemies can be used, converted to the other side. Have you played KOTOR 2? If so adopt Kreia's policy 'do not adhere to a single idea' adapt to the situation as you see fit and do what you think is right. I'm sure you'll end up with a very interesting character who if rolled male, gives a lot of options for Vette and LS Jaesa. (LS Jaesa will be a boon to developing your character and emphasising on this stand point, as her philosophy would mimic yours.)

SI can be done in a similar way, though I'd suggest SW first. Just remember, playing LS Empire works a lot better than playing DS Republic, you'll soon find that. LS DS choices are there for a reason, so you can develop your own personal character, and that's whoever you want it to be.

That's exactly the way i play my Warrior! :-D

Another example of how it's good for the Empire to chose LS options sometimes is in Balmorra. If you save the republic hero and his men, then he acknoledges the help they got from the Republic. The people's reaction to that is a major boost for the Empire