What the hell do people mean by an "honest opinion"?

VioletZero

To give an 'Honest' opinion, one must be objective about one's own thoughts and experiences. Personal Objectivity = Impossible, so EVERYBODY who says it is lying, to us and themselves. ;)

Never trust somebody who says, "Trust me!"

Life-lesson in there somewhere... LOL

Some one do me a favor, Check the servers status and tell me if they are up yet :D

Without even checking, it's not up.

Although it may be quicker now that the game actually launched, every time the servers went back online it always took at least 15 minutes for the servers to fully boot up.

Without even checking, it's not up.

Although it may be quicker now that the game actually launched, every time the servers went back online it always took at least 15 minutes for the servers to fully boot up.

I'm staring at my character. Pretty sure they're up.

It's just a turn of phrase that has become popular over the years. It started in courts... and I mean the Feudal kind, not the law kind. Though eventually, the phrase did make it into courts of law, and is a phrase used by lawyers when addressing expert witnesses. Sometimes they'll also say, "expert opinion".

In any case, it is simply a way to stress you're being serious. So if your girlfriend is wearing an ugly outfit and she says, "how do I look?"... you can say, "Do you want my honest opinion?".... Though I suggest not going that route unless you have a forgiving significant other. :p

I won, by 20 seconds.

Actually you lost by a lifetime.

Some people, many infact, who post on these forums are not native english speakers.

In how many languages can you express yourself as fluent as they can in english ?

I grew up with english speakers, most only know their mother tongue.

Elitism is always a pain but it really hurts when coupled with ignorance.

Actually you lost by a lifetime.

Some people, many infact, who post on these forums are not native english speakers.

In how many languages can you express yourself as fluent as they can in english ?

I grew up with english speakers, most only know their mother tongue.

Elitism is always a pain but it really hurts when coupled with ignorance.

I speak 3 and English isn't my native language. Get over yourself. Bet you perked up in your lil chair when you wrote that lol.

You can easily spot the way a foreign person types compared to someone who just well... yeah.. American education isn't that great.

Edited by Kricys

I don't know about anyone else, but for me:

I always give my honest opinion. When I say "My honest opinion is" it's a great big warning that I am not going to sugar coat it, and I'll probably be honest to the point of rudeness. (eg: My honest opinion is that your butt does look fat in those jeans. vs Hrm, I don't think those jeans are flattering, you should wear that cool pair you wore to the party the other night.)

The one that gets me is "In my opinion". Well duh, of course it's your opinion unless you preface otherwise, or you're a stooge. If anyone catches me using it, they are free to mock me.

Edit: Incidentally, when people ask "What's your real opinion?" and my answer might be insulting, I usually ask how much sugarcoating they want. :D

-Kai-Lunn

Edited by KaiLunn