Enforce your Code of Conduct

Floydian_Slip

Just about every night for the past several months I've logged onto the Star Forge server and found that, whether on Dromund Kaas or Fleet, the General Chat channel is a cesspool of toxic behavior. There needs to be stricter enforcement of EA's Code of Conduct. I have realistic expectations regarding the maturity level of any game's player base, but almost nightly I witness targeted harassment. People post remarks that are racist, sexist, homophobic, they advise people to commit suicide. It's repugnant and these people conduct themselves in this way with impunity. By relying solely on your profanity filter and ignore feature, EA seems to have absolved itself of all responsibility as administrators. You have a duty to enforce the Code of Conduct. Otherwise, even having one in the first place is a hollow and meaningless gesture. It's almost insulting, as most of us actually make an effort to abide by it. Please demonstrate greater concern for fostering and maintaining a more friendly and welcoming environment for your players.

Unfortunately all people can do it put these pieces of **** on ignore and continue, the game doesn't have the resources to police the channels, and even if you try to report them, you have to be nearby to do it, if you are not, the report goes in as spam, and is probably ignored. And what's worse is these trolls start up on chat, and instead of people being intelligent, and ignoring them straight, they do the dumb thng and engage the troll, which is why it continues. If everyone in the game ignored the trolls and douche bags, they'd be the only ones left talking to each other, and we wouldn't know or care. They'd wither and die without attention, but unfortunately people don't act smart...lol.

If General Chat offends you, shut it off.............or add players to your ignore list.......it is, after all, rated T for teen and they tell you there will be mild language sexual themes blood and violence......just saying, complaining about not enforcing CoC because general chat is "bad" is kinda redundant.

it is, after all, rated T for teen and they tell you there will be mild language sexual themes blood and violence

I don't think you quite understand what the T rating means. It means that the content provided by the game is relatively mild stuff, a bit of (implied) sex, some mild (or weaker than that) language, blood (implied) and violence (in copious quantities), but all part of the content provided by BioWare.

The range of xenophobia of all stripes, various extremes of rude words and blatant insults, and so on provided by other players in general chat (all MMORPGs have this to a certain extent) is not covered by the T rating.

Report, ignore, move on. And develop a certain amount of thick skin. For what it's worth, I play on the EU/French server, and the stuff there is mostly juvenile blitherings not worthy of most teenagers anywhere. If, that is, I even bother to look up there in the corner of my screen, which most of the time I don't.

Or just go off and, you know, actually play the game doing something (anything?) other than standing around on the Fleet.

If General Chat offends you, shut it off.............or add players to your ignore list.......it is, after all, rated T for teen and they tell you there will be mild language sexual themes blood and violence......just saying, complaining about not enforcing CoC because general chat is "bad" is kinda redundant.

I don't think you understand how a code of conduct works, either.

To OP:

I agree. The toxicity on SF, especially Imperial Side, is absolutely disgusting.

Edited by jedimasterjac

I just shut off the chat, which certainly stops the problem. The one issue with letting people spew all their bile in the gen chat, though, is that it renders a game tool unusable. Before the merges you'd often have people asking questions on the chat, and anyone who happened to see it might provide some good advice or even offer to help the person through whatever mission they were having trouble with. Now, if someone's got a question they have to ensure all that trash talk to ask it, and many of the people who might have answered and helped out probably won't see it because they've turned off their chats. It makes the game less welcoming and helpful for newbies.

I don't think you understand how a code of conduct works, either.

To OP:

I agree. The toxicity on SF, especially Imperial Side, is absolutely disgusting.

Really? I have found it the opposite, where it is worse on pub. But like I said I found no reason to goto fleet unless looking for OPs. Think of Fleet as a big mall, and all the ******e juveniles are there causing trouble. And I am talking about actual teens, and adults that act like them.

Agreed with what most others are saying. Chat restrictions end up reducing longevity in a game. If you don't like what General Chat is saying, turn it off and continue. Nobody's forcing you to look at it. You can also create a tab that enables everything except General Chat as well.

Let people be inflammatory or immature if they want, they'll only make others put them on ignore.

TL;DR: You have all the control necessary to not see the stuff in chat that you don't want to see. No additional restrictions are necessary.

This is the internet and Gen. Chat is likely to go this way often, SWTOR is *by Far one of the "Least Toxic" games I've found so far. This is Not saying its ok at all just how it typically is. If SWTOR did *Enforce its Ratings on the players chat conduct it would make a substantial impact on their income (Again, money over morals :( ). Other games do/ have monitored the general more closely but they seldom get very far (Lack of $$). Like others have said Report, Ignore and go on; even disabling Gen. Chat if you feel you need to. I just don't look; I don't want to Know what they're saying.

Unless it is personally directed at you, take what ever is said in General Chat with a grain of salt. It is not important enough to loose sleep over or to get worked up about.

If you really dislike looking at what is being said, there is a little triangle on your screen you can click that will make all the bad stuff go away.... Rest Assured that It has been placed there for Your Protection......

Edited by denavin

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed with what most others are saying. Chat restrictions end up reducing longevity in a game. If you don't like what General Chat is saying, turn it off and continue. Nobody's forcing you to look at it. You can also create a tab that enables everything except General Chat as well.

Let people be inflammatory or immature if they want, they'll only make others put them on ignore.

TL;DR: You have all the control necessary to not see the stuff in chat that you don't want to see. No additional restrictions are necessary.

Actually, if you want to experience game content, World Bosses for example, you must group through general chat. Many dissenting opinions in this thread are just proving my point for me.