Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at this Harbinger Server thread... they have been having crashes and problems since the 10th April...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6140542#post6140542

I have posted on the thread to let those people on Harbinger about our APAC forced mergers with them < in case they didn't know >

Imagine how bad the Harbinger server will be if 1000+ accounts were merged with it??

Anyway I have asked them to sign our petition and voice any of their concerns to Bio in their thread or to start another. Maybe, just maybe, Bio will start to listen if the north Americans start to rally against the merge.

Petition now over 900... way to go guys :)

If you haven't already, please sign the petition to save our APAC server

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

Don't play on Harbringer then - go to Bastion or Bergen. Anyone who had spent more than 1 hour on Harbringer would have figured out the server is unstable and the general chats are toxic and there is an obnoxious amount of trolls, griefers and ninjas everywhere. I'm done promoting Bastion as the alternative, but you all are in for a culture shock when you roll Harbringer.

Except that The Bastion is PvP and Begeren Colony is RP.

The Harbinger will be the only PvE 'choice' that we have if those of us on Dalborra want to play on the same style of server that we are currently on.

I hope that the stories of just how unstable The Harbinger is, are just that - stories. Otherwise our forced migration will be really disappointing for all of us - both those wanting the transfer and those not wanting it. We will be pretty miffed if we cant log on half the time.

It's been said by others before - but I'd be willing to pay an extra $5 a month to have a local combined server with stability, a standard population size, good ping, and a with a good community that has very few stalkers and trolls.

Don't play on Harbringer then - go to Bastion or Bergen. Anyone who had spent more than 1 hour on Harbringer would have figured out the server is unstable and the general chats are toxic and there is an obnoxious amount of trolls, griefers and ninjas everywhere. I'm done promoting Bastion as the alternative, but you all are in for a culture shock when you roll Harbringer.

unfortunately Harbringer has nearly 1/2 the lag of the other PVE servers to me...

Except that The Bastion is PvP and Begeren Colony is RP.

The Harbinger will be the only PvE 'choice' that we have if those of us on Dalborra want to play on the same style of server that we are currently on.

I hope that the stories of just how unstable The Harbinger is, are just that - stories. Otherwise our forced migration will be really disappointing for all of us - both those wanting the transfer and those not wanting it. We will be pretty miffed if we cant log on half the time.

It's been said by others before - but I'd be willing to pay an extra $5 a month to have a local combined server with stability, a standard population size, good ping, and a with a good community that has very few stalkers and trolls.

Roll a toon on Harbringer. Spend 10 minutes reading general chat on Tython. Be amazed at how lost you feel, drowned out by hundreds of troll posts on general chat. Imagine how fleet chat will be. /killself.

Edited by iheartnyc

There goes our ping then.

Back to WoW for me :)

Check ya Bioware.

Basically this. I had a huge feeling that Bioware would give up on the APAC servers but thought they might think of an inventive way to fix the population issues without sacrificing our ping.

But with this many Australasia player will see no point in subscribing to this game and go back to WoW. Yes WoW is outdated and I hate how blizzard has turned it into a dying cashcow. But they do have the one thing SWTOR lacks and thats the cross realm queuing system that easily gets them into groups to do PvP and content.

I really hope this isn't the final solution to the problem and that they keep working on it to attract more oceanic players, but you mistreat us here like every other MMO and most will flock back to the ones where they spent the most time and money on. And believe me it won't be this game.

Hey everyone,

To clarify a bit more about this decision. We did previously ask what folks on the forums would like to do as an APAC solution and some, but not all, offered up the solution of merging all APAC into one. The other option on the table was to merge APAC into the NA servers. When we discussed the options internally we looked to address everyone’s primary issues with APAC, low populations were creating a less than optimal game experience.

We went and looked at what current server populations looked like across all of APAC and to put it simply, even merging all of APAC together into one server would not solve the population problems. Even with that solution you would still see long queue times for things like Warzones and Group Finder. It was because of this that we decided that moving APAC into the NA servers was the best option.

One thing to note is that there is no catchall solution here. If we move APAC to NA some folks will see increased latency, but they will have healthy server populations and can remain on their chosen server types. If we merge everyone into one APAC server, latency will remain in place but the current population issues will exist and players will lose their preferred server type. Leaving things as they are leaves all of the current issues in place without a solution at all. This is one of the reasons getting the plan out to you folks took so long, we had to think long and hard about all of the implications of our decision.

-eric

Did you try thinking about cross servers to fix the Queue solutions?

Did you try thinking about cross servers to fix the Queue solutions?

As I understand it, a cross server system basically copies your selected toon to a server with the others you are grouped with then updates the character back on the original server after the FP or OP. They don't have a stable automated transfer system, I seriously doubt that cross server queueing is on the agenda ever.

More and more I suspect closing the closing the APAC servers rather than a merge is more about saving time on maintence duties of thier (Dialogue option 1 : Incompetent. Dialogue option 2 : Underskilled Dialogue option 3 : Understaffed.) programming staff than the cost of running the server.

Roll a toon on Harbringer. Spend 10 minutes reading general chat on Tython. Be amazed at how lost you feel, drowned out by hundreds of troll posts on general chat. Imagine how fleet chat will be. /killself.

This is the issue for me. Ping won't be an issue (obviously...same time zone as the new server), and I already know I'm losing all my character names (annoying, but hardly unexpected). But now I get to endure what appears to be one of the worst communities this game has ever produced. Not everyone - but there are enough there who seem intent on screwing up other people's game experience.

The merge is going forward. I know that despite having signed the petition, nothing will happen that's going to change that. I understand that. It just galls me that they didn't actually listen to what a good majority of their respondents were saying, and that I'm going to lose the good community I selected to play in because of that. It's not a 'I quit'-severity problem (for me, anyways), but it is very, very discouraging.

As I understand it, a cross server system basically copies your selected toon to a server with the others you are grouped with then updates the character back on the original server after the FP or OP. They don't have a stable automated transfer system, I seriously doubt that cross server queueing is on the agenda ever.

More and more I suspect closing the closing the APAC servers rather than a merge is more about saving time on maintence duties of thier (Dialogue option 1 : Incompetent. Dialogue option 2 : Underskilled Dialogue option 3 : Understaffed.) programming staff than the cost of running the server.

Yes I figured that. Just wanted to give their mouthpiece questions he chose to dodge or was to incompetent to think about or interpret from the obvious hundreds of suggestions placed out there and the consequences of bioware completely alienating the oceanic playerbase with this lazy decision.

I mean why bother asking us for suggestions if you gonna go with nuclear options from the start.

Its disrespectful dishonest and well australian slang they were dissing us all along. ;)

I mean why bother asking us for suggestions if you gonna go with nuclear options from the start.

Its disrespectful dishonest and well australian slang they were dissing us all along. ;)

That's the thing they didn't ask everybody, largest population on Dalborra had no freaking idea there was a problem let alone that this was going on till recently. I've never had a drama with GF popping at anytime that I have had to use it, that said I prefer playing with guild members due to the quality of some of the pugs. Would have been nice if BW sent an email to ALL of its APAC members before announcing it is what we wanted. Unfortunately a lot of us will stop playing after the forced merger so if it is about numbers then they aren't doing themselves any favours and if it's about money they are shooting themselves in the foot. I will be unsubbing the minute the merger is made official

Edited by Macropodmum

that's the thing they didn't ask everybody.... Would have been nice if bw had sent an email to all of its apac members before announcing it is what we wanted.... If it's about money they are shooting themselves in the foot.

here here.... Where was our email bio????

Then find a guild and stick with it and ignore all the other idiots o.o?

For the past few days, I don't know why, my ping has gone from its normal 30 to between 200 - 400. At those levels, my Marauder is basically unplayable. Is this the quality gaming experience you want to offer us on NA servers, BioWare? Because if you think that's all we're worth, I'm done with the game for good.

For the past few days, I don't know why, my ping has gone from its normal 30 to between 200 - 400. At those levels, my Marauder is basically unplayable. Is this the quality gaming experience you want to offer us on NA servers, BioWare? Because if you think that's all we're worth, I'm done with the game for good.

I've noticed a few ppl having issues. When I had it I just restarted the game and that fixed the lag problem.

Perhaps they are just preparing us for life on the US servers. :D

Edited by ChuangTzu

well the harb is full right now so i guess im not just taking a ping hit im gonna be sitting in line waiting to play ffs

not to mention the issues they have had with the stability of the server and they want to put 500 to 1k of us aussies there

:(really is this the best idea you came up with yep thats going to make my play experience so much better clap clap

And tonight the Gav is Heavy - well done you guys! You know how to game on. The only other Heavy server in the world is in Europe :p

When you look on the server list and see heavy, light etc - it's relative to the number of players on that server. The US servers are 'super servers' and are much larger so when it shows as medium, it's still a lot more people than you'd get on gav when we show as heavy. "Heavy" for gav is more than 30 people on fleet. Heavy for the US servers is hundreds of people on the fleet. You go do black hole dailies on gav daragon and it's common to be the only person there. No way that would ever happen on any of the US servers.