skill tree's

lavatious

Bring them back, the hybrid system was far, far, far better for me I say this cause I tried a corruption sorcerer now maybe it's because I tried a corruption sorcerer with the trees that I know how good it can be.....

corruption by itself has nada dps I feel like a weak kitten while levelling relying on my comps to do damage there is no sound rotation to speak off with every combat ability on cool down, iv got a healer for every other class and I don't feel this weak or helpless on any other healing class but sorcerer, but with hybrid builds I guarantee mixed with madness a corruption sorc could hold her own...….

bring back skill tree's that is all

• 4 weeks later...

I would welcome Skill trees back so long as once you chose a tree, you had to unlock top tier before the other two opened.

Hybrids were game breaking. Try playing an arena, 4 dps vs 4 dps with a Sage having Healing Trance....

But in all honesty, I think we have more options now than we did with skill trees if you choose to stick to a full tree. We now have access to ALL options via utilities, versus not having enough points to acquire what we truly wanted.

Edited by xMaranathax

• 3 weeks later...

The obsession with balance in games that you can literally buy a max level character kind of makes me giggle a bit.

That aside I have always preferred spec diversity over class "balance". I do not find it more fun to have fewer choices on character building and diversity in a RPG game ever (Core aspects of what makes an RPG fun and interesting).

Class balance is a myth anyway. If you achieve perfect balance and then take a look you will realize you have one class with abilities named several different things for different "Classes" AKA one class with different names and ability names and graphics that all do essentially the same thing. That is really what you are asking for if you push for perfect class balance.

Really the only way to solve this is to have skill point advancement systems with no actual class so that everyone has access to the same skills if they choose them....and make sure there is a vast selection. No classes at all. Of course its not going to happen in SWToR so that is that.

People dont want a paper/rock/scissors system either because generally when people talk about balance they are talking about 1 vs 1 regardless of "the game being balanced around group play (Trinity system variant)".

The only way to avoid class/spec trimming in a class based system is to toss balance out the window... Not going to happen unless you introduce a way for all classes to increase their power to compensate. Like introduce RnG weapon stat generation with a high cap and just embrace the concept that some players are OP but everyone can be. Also not likely because that is not a safe model and would be hard to predict.

Basically the hybrid system is not likely to return because its "too hard".

Edited by Soljin

• 3 weeks later...
Bring them back, the hybrid system was far, far, far better for me I say this cause I tried a corruption sorcerer now maybe it's because I tried a corruption sorcerer with the trees that I know how good it can be.....

corruption by itself has nada dps I feel like a weak kitten while levelling relying on my comps to do damage there is no sound rotation to speak off with every combat ability on cool down, iv got a healer for every other class and I don't feel this weak or helpless on any other healing class but sorcerer, but with hybrid builds I guarantee mixed with madness a corruption sorc could hold her own...….

bring back skill tree's that is all

Definitely agree, skill tree allowed a certain levels of versatility, however there indeed was a problem of op hybrid builds.

And, once again, instead of fixing already existing system, bw think its easier to remove it and replace with much simpler one...

And, once again, instead of fixing already existing system, bw think its easier to remove it and replace with much simpler one...

Might wanna come up with a good fix yourself which can seemlessly be implemented without breaking something else, before aimlessly blaming BW. Which, as a software developer myself, is not an easy thing to just do in an existing complex application. I can't even begin to count the hours I've spent developing systems and just making sure there weren't any adverse side-effects on related systems or disrupted existing states within the application. The amount of unit, integration and system testing I've done and writing test documentation for relatively simple additions to existing applications, still gives me nightmares at times. Especially when service downtime is a big fat no-no. And with added complexity, this issue only grows.

In fact, I like the elegance of a simpler skill system. Especially when most players went with FoTM theorycrafted cookie cutter-specs pasted all over the forums and Reddit anyway. The only thing hybrid skill trees gave, was the illusion of complexity while creating a large imbalance between classes, which was impossible to properly mitigate without massively disappointing parts of the playerbase.

But hey, keep on believing that, as you say, 'fixing an already existing system' is something easily accomplished. :)