Chance to ask questions to a GSF dev

okiobe

These events don't get a lot of publicity so I thought I would make a post about it.

The community guys are going to stream on twitch tomorrow (Mar 27) with a GSF dev. Here is the Twitter post where I found this out.

I would love to watch it live and ask questions in chat but I have class. From what I've watched they seem to be straight forward in answering questions and give better and quicker responses than in the forums. Here are some tidbits from some past streams that I found interesting.

Comment on cross-server queues: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/b/512787745?t=31m20s

Comment on custom pvp matches: http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/b/513082392?t=1h6m20s

Dev slipped info about unannounced feature (pvp daily stuff) :): http://www.twitch.tv/swtor/b/512787745?t=40m10s

Edited by okiobe

I would love to watch it live and ask questions in chat but I have class.

I spent a good long while thinking, "What's not classy about asking questions during a twitch stream? Is there some twitch etiquette I don't know about?"

Thanks for the heads up.

We should gather a list of questions...

Edited by Nemarus

I spent a good long while thinking, "What's not classy about asking questions during a twitch stream? Is there some twitch etiquette I don't know about?"

Thanks for the heads up.

That's ok, it took me a few seconds to figure out what prompted your response... :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Well when I reread just that phrase I see how you get that meaning. lol.

Here are some questions I'd ask. Keep in mind I'm trying not to ask anything with obvious bias toward one ship or another, or anything that'll get an obvious "no" or "wall of crazy", or anything at all controversial. The goal is to get real answers, even if they aren't to our most pressing questions.

1) Damage Overcharge appears to be tripling damage, whereas the patch notes for 2.6 indicated it would double it. Is this intended?

2) Are you satisfied with the current situation regarding capital ship turrets, spawn camping, spawn mining, etc. in Deathmatch?

3) Any chance we could get a "target nearest ally" command, so that we can more easily form up with allies (or know when it's safe to leave a held satellite to help at another)?

4) GSF seems fairly well balanced right now. That being said, in your opinion, what component or ship might most need to be toned down in power? What component or ship might most need to be improved?

5) Right now, if you launch a mine of a type for which you already have the max launched, the oldest existing one will explode and deal damage as if triggered. This seems to be happening with Seismic, Ion, Concussion, and Interdiction mines. It makes for interesting strategy, but is it intended?

6) Domination matches demand everyone fight on or relatively near the satellite, save for Gunships and those pursuing them. This makes the features of the map which aren't close to the satellites less interesting. Any plans on tweaking Domination to expand the battlefield away from satellites? Maybe an ability to open up spawn points that aren't linked to node control or some secondary way to earn points?

7) Will we ever have any "armored objective targets" to shoot besides satellite defense turrets?

8) Could we get a map themed after Cloud City, with a floating city and buildings to fly around, and floating tibanna gas platforms (which could blow up for AOE damage)? :D

Edited by Nemarus

Those are good questions.

One question I would ask is what is the reasoning behind the increased cooldowns in missile break abilities? Was there behavior you wanted to discourage, did you want to increase the effectiveness of missiles, etc?

Maybe another question could be how do you see players using the new ships? Many people have said their group buffs are only useful for highly coordinated groups. Do you feel they bring a significant benefit to the average pug group and if so what?

I'd say I disagree with #4, as it's pretty clear ion railgun is overpowered. But it's an otherwise good question. I'd be curious to see what they think... my hidden one I'd put on there (besides the obvious ion railgun and BLC) is Cluster Missiles. With the missile lock breaks soon having even longer CDs, I see these things as being the new FOTM. Or more than they are now. Their lock is extremely easy to land, their damage isn't all that much weaker than concussions (the little extra shield piercing doesn't mean much when you can land two clusters in the time it takes for one concussion to lock, fire, and reload), and if you've ever had two strikes or scouts with these things behind you, it's pretty trivial for them to get these on you even when you are being pretty evasive.

I'm not sure how to put these into proper questions, so I'll leave my thoughts here for you guys if you want to use them.

Burst Laser Cannons (BLC) are way overpowered, especially when combined with any damage increasing abilities.

Ion Rail Guns do too much for too little charge. Even after the "fix"

The nerf to engine abilities is way too excessive. Especially to barrel roll. Wouldn't it just make more sense to reduce the distance BR travels instead of making it worthless? Right now it's the most newbie friendly engine ability available, and nerfing it will make the already steep learning curve for new players even more steep and less fun. It's also too valuable to scouts and strike fighters as a rapid gap closer to enemy Gunships. It's the single most valuable ability to new players and vets who need a quick way to get out of whatever deep trouble they're in.

What is the design goal for the new fighters? Is it to add a less combat oriented fighter to the game for people who aren't necessarily skilled at dog fighting? Doesn't the bomber already fill this niche?

In my personal opinion, aside from Ion Rail Guns, I don't think there's anything wrong with the game as it stands right now. I can tolerate BLC being the most insane damage dealer since it has a short range and it's easy for a player to learn to keep away from a Sting or Flashfire and perhaps lead them towards the Gunship's firing range to pick them off your tail.

The only game breaking thing for me is that Ion Rail guns do too much for too little. If a fully charged Ion Rail gun drains me dry, that's my fault for not paying attention. If they can render me helpless with a low charge shot, that's over powered.

If a Sting/Flashfire can destroy my face in under three seconds, well, that's also my fault for not keeping out of their range. They have to sacrifice to get that kind of firepower, Blaster Overcharge comes at the cost of other useful system abilities, and to make good use of it, a pilot has to practice long and hard.

T1 Gunships don't make sacrifices to have Ion Rail Guns.

Edited by The_Raven_Lord

in a pvp style that you guys want to talk up with things like "cool" dog fighting in space. The current contribution system seems to be extermial detrimental to this aspect of the game. Has there been any talk of replacing it

i hope someone positive and constructive will come and ask him questions...cause this just seems to set up to nicely for trolls and haters

Edited by Applejacxs

i hope someone positive and constructive will come and ask him questions...cause this just seems to set up to nicely for trolls and haters

In the couple of streams I've watched there haven't been very many people watching the stream. Less than 150 people if I remember correctly and then only a small subset of those participated in the chat. The goal of my post is to encourage those of us who care about GSF to tune in and participate. It isn't every day when you can communicate live with a design dev for GSF. Also I'm sure that Eric Musco and the rest of the community managers will moderate the chat and keep the focus away from the trolls and haters.

Edited by okiobe