New Schematics for Biochem

Arstechnica

So glad to see the new schematics for biochem on Odessa, I really hope to see the missing level 10 schematics for the other crafting professions - cybertech.

I really dislike this reversal. Think about what is going to happen:

players are going to spend a LOT of time in the new FP to get the currency needed to buy all of the schematics. This will result in burnout in some players, leading them to stop playing.

players are going to start leveling biochem on any toon that does not have the other crafting skills so they can use the reusables on those characters. This has two adverse impacts:

1. players are going to spend a lot of credits to level those skills (great for the overall economy; credits sinks are good, but lousy for the player as each character will require roughly 500k credits (in materials and schematics training; I recently leveled a second BC for conquest so I know) and a few hours of crafting nothing but components that have little to no value (except for conquest)
  2. after the fact, there will be less demand for consumables, pushing biochem back down into the pit of non-profit. At best it will be a credits saver...but one is already in the hole for leveling biochem in the first place so it will take time to in fact see that cost savings.

Assuming one does not have a biochem to craft with, and therefore buys off the GTN, one can buy a lot of stims and adrenals for what it costs to level biochem to use the reusables. And if one does have *A* biochem, the cost to craft stims and adrenals is shockingly low: ~3k per unit (WITHOUT CRITS: 13600 per crafting of 4 stims or 3400 a piece; and 13800 per crafting of 6 adrenals or 2300 a piece)

The only players/characters this change really benefits are:

1. those who switch specs often and change stims (tank to DPS, heals to DPS [if one uses proficient stim in dps spec], PvE to PVP DPS switch [again assuming PvE uses proficient and PvP uses versatile], etc)
  2. those who use adrenals all but on cooldown (VM/HM, MM/NiM Ops DPSers)

For everyone else, IMO save your time and credits and just keep using consumables.

players are going to spend a LOT of time in the new FP to get the currency needed to buy all of the schematics. This will result in burnout in some players, leading them to stop playing.

players are going to start leveling biochem on any toon that does not have the other crafting skills so they can use the reusables on those characters. This has two adverse impacts:

1. players are going to spend a lot of credits to level those skills (great for the overall economy; credits sinks are good, but lousy for the player as each character will require roughly 500k credits (in materials and schematics training; I recently leveled a second BC for conquest so I know) and a few hours of crafting nothing but components that have little to no value (except for conquest)
  2. after the fact, there will be less demand for consumables, pushing biochem back down into the pit of non-profit. At best it will be a credits saver...but one is already in the hole for leveling biochem in the first place so it will take time to in fact see that cost savings.

Assuming one does not have a biochem to craft with, and therefore buys off the GTN, one can buy a lot of stims and adrenals for what it costs to level biochem to use the reusables. And if one does have *A* biochem, the cost to craft stims and adrenals is shockingly low: ~3k per unit (WITHOUT CRITS: 13600 per crafting of 4 stims or 3400 a piece; and 13800 per crafting of 6 adrenals or 2300 a piece)

The only players/characters this change really benefits are:

1. those who switch specs often and change stims (tank to DPS, heals to DPS [if one uses proficient stim in dps spec], PvE to PVP DPS switch [again assuming PvE uses proficient and PvP uses versatile], etc)
  2. those who use adrenals all but on cooldown (VM/HM, MM/NiM Ops DPSers)

For everyone else, IMO save your time and credits and just keep using consumables.

speak for your self I love that biochem once again has reusable then again all my stuff is biochem to begin with, the toons i dont play or rarely play are every thing else

For me it's a psychological thing:

- When I have to replace the (~5k) thing I hesitate to use it, and by then the moment of usefulness is gone.

- When I paid for the ability to use it freely without additional cost (~500k training) I use it with with reckless abandon.

Biochem is basically a stim+adrenal flat rate.

Before they were removed, the reusable stim was just another buff I had to refresh regularly; meanwhile I have learned other crewskills on those chars that had the skill only for the reusables. One of them even switched to cybertech, because I didn't play my cybertech crafter at that time... Now for me the question is whether I should go and relearn Biochem or wait until reusable grenades return (for which the moment of hesitation is usually even more crucial, but Biochem has stims as perma buffs as well as medpacks and adrenals for situational use)

As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell? One biochemist can easily supply your whole legacy, The only time where I would buy the stuff on the GTN is when I have none left in the legacy storage and can't or don't want to log to another char (in a group, too lazy)

Edited by Mubrak

But the credit sink to train the skill is a one time thing.

This change actually makes losing a credit sink. Less sales on the GTN, which always remove credits. Less diplomacy missions needed, less materials needed, etc. All those are nice way to constantly remove credits from the economy.

The more people swap to Biochem for this, the bigger this negative impact will be.

And adrenals and medpacks are good way to make credits without being involved in any way in end game gearing. Those who don't want to participate in CXP grind in any way can make credits with Biochem. This change will certainly hurt this

Pitty they changed their minds about the reusable. And this time is worse, because the reusable have the same stats as the non reusables. They used to provide lower stats.

As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell? One biochemist can easily supply your whole legacy, The only time where I would buy the stuff on the GTN is when I have none left in the legacy storage and can't or don't want to log to another char (in a group, too lazy)

Yes, they do sell, quite reliably. More so than implants for example.

The only time I've bought stims / adrenals off the GTN was when I first started playing the game and hadn't levelled that specific crew skill (it was among the last for me to level up). So no, I doubt it will overly affect sales on the GTN assuming only newer players or players without Biochem actually buy them.

Be interesting to see if reusable grenades make their way back, that would be useful.

Well, only my main OPs toon had to switch Archaeology for Biochem. My tank was Biochem to begin with, so that was a plus. All others will stay as they are, no need to switch as they are not main ones, and lets be realistic, old stims are as good.

I find more benefit in adrenals, since I only crafted blue ones. I really hate how Diplomacy works now and I run those missions only to get mats for Implant. Therefore, now my main can use purple adrenals and switch between them as needed.

I highly doubt people will grind that FP in order to get schematics since those will not be very profitable soon. They are already under 100k per piece, which is nothing.

am I missing where to find the schematics for implants? for whatever reason though i'm 600/600 in biochem, the only implant schems on the trainer are the 4.0 500 skill level ones. i checked the oddessen vendor as well hoping but it just has the stims on there.

As for hurting GTN sales... Do stims and adrenals actually sell?

Not really (someone else wrote "yes" though, so YMMV). At least not for a price that makes it worth the time, effort and mats. Depends maybe also on the server.

Be interesting to see if reusable grenades make their way back, that would be useful.

I forgot that this was actually a thing. Since grenades sell even worse than stims and adrenals, it would indeed be nice to gave the reusable grenades back.

Not really (someone else wrote "yes" though, so YMMV). At least not for a price that makes it worth the time, effort and mats. Depends maybe also on the server.

I've done the math...

they cost ~3k each to make and sell for 12k to 20k each (on the Harbinger) that's a 300% to 567% profit.

where on odessa is the NPC that sells the schematics? i can't find him.

The star fortress entrance was moved a bit down the hall to make room for a new elevator that leads to the Umbara area. In there are two vendors, one sells the schematics, the other gear and access to the stronghold.

But you could just as well buy the reusables on the GTN. You only need one of each type, after all.

Edited by Mubrak

This only just concerns you now, did you not notice the little thing they added called galactic command awhile back? :p