Which class has (in your opinion) overall the best and which the worst companions?

Path-x

Something like this is going to vary greatly with different people. If we're talking combat-wise, they're all mostly the same, save for a few little things here and there (i.e. one tank companion might grapple mobs in, one might leap to it).

I have completed all the Agent companion quests, all the Bounty Hunter companion quests except Skadge, and got a good deal through the Consular companion quests, some of the Smuggler. I enjoy all of them, but my favorite is definitely the Agent companions. Yes, even Kaliyo. In fact I'd probably say she's my #1 favorite, her quests are far more entertaining than any others I've done.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bounty hunter, hands down, has the absolute best crew of companions. My bounty hunter had more moments with all companions there to talk and argue over various options, than any other class I've played, thus far. They often argued with each other but also stood up and disagreed with my hunter, on occasion. Yet, there ended up being a sort of team feeling between the lot of them, too. It was like my hunter was the center with all these exceptional individuals surrounding her, all because they believed in HER and fought for HER.

That, and just about all the bounty hunter companions had a REASON, a purpose and value that made for them to belong to the whole of the crew. Mako was the tech and the computer guru, the one to go to for information and intelligence, or just to figure out where we were headed to next. Gault was the negotiator, the smooth talker, the one perfectly capable of getting out of sticky situations given the need. Torian was the soldier, the one who wouldn't back down and wouldn't give up in the face of any threat. Blizz was the scavenger, the collector, the one who'd pick up the bits and pieces so essential to keep the bucket of bolts called the Mantis together in one brilliantly working piece. The only one who seems pretty useless was Skadge, who ended up being pretty much "the paper weight" companion. You know, the guy who's just "there" even if you can't figure out quite why.

I liked them all, loved every bit of their stories, their interactions, with my hunter and with each other. They bantered constantly, and it made the class story as a whole that much more entertaining and realistic. There were often companions I literally forgot as I was leveling my warrior and inquisitor. With the hunter, that just never seemed to happen, and I loved it all the more for it.

Worst companions? Already said Skadge, and yes, he's the worst, because I just can't figure out, first, how he got onto my ship and, second, what he's doing there now that he's there. I also disliked Jaessa. I figure my Jugg is eventually going to kill her, because otherwise the psychotic witch is going to slit my Jugg's throat. Jaessa almost makes me understand where Barras is coming from when it is he tries to kill my Jugg, and that's scary enough I want to toss Jaessa out an airlock, fast. I'm not overly keen on Xalek yet, but that's only cause he talks to my Sorc in monosyllabic tones thus far. I haven't had him long, though, so he might grow on me, like Khem did. We'll see.

Not a huge fan of any of the Consular companions to be honest. However, it's mirror class the Inquisitor has some pretty bad *** companions. First off, Khem is a total BAMF, Andronikos does great DPS, as does Ashara and Xalek...total BAMF as well, especially after they fixed his shield bug. Talos on the other hand is a little meh.

Best companion ever goes to the BH jawa companion though.

Best: Bounty Hunter without a doubt. Lots of great unique characters in that one.

Worst: Smuggler. Now, I'm playing back and forth with just these two classes but it's an easy one for me to pick out of the two. Aside from Bowdaar and Guss, the others are simply lame. Now . . .

Bowdaar. Why must you fail me so many blasted times? I love this big guy, I have him out with my Smuggler when I'm about on the Fleet but when I start doing missions, I have to send him away. He just cannot take the damage and I have him very heavily geared too. No reason for this poor Wookiee to keep dropping on me like this that well equipped.

:ph_cheers:

Best Overall: Imperial Agent. Minus Kaliyo, the untrustworthy psychopath, I like all my companions and think they fit.

Worst Overall: BH. As if Gault wasn't bad enough...Skadge, ohhhhh Skadge(link is Sarlacc's rant). If I could use profanity here, I'd have at least 2 paragraphs of them in regards to Skadge. I hate him more than Quinn, which is hard considering my character was married to Quinn at the time of the incident. I don't think it's possible to have a more implausible companion than Skadge considering the convo's before he's forced on you. Skadge is so offensive in every respect, I consider him a cancel worthy event and if BH had been my first character, I would have until there was a rewrite. Torian and Blizz don't make up for him, especially as a powertech.

SW was ok. Vette needs the collar to stay on, Quinn needs spaced, Broonmark is meh, Jaesa is...interesting regardless of side and Pierce, besides needing to be romanceable, also needs his big mission playable.

SI I only like Khem Vhal and Xalek. Khem becomes kinda uncle like and Xalek is a worthy companion that comes entirely too late to enjoy fully. I'd love to know how anyone thought a companion after Voss was a great idea. Revel and Talos could be spaced and I wouldn't care. Scratch that,losing Revel means I could get someone interesting and losing Talos means I could get someone I could actually stand hearing. Ashara I used to hate,until I played the Lightside SW storyline and realized, Ashara isn't the broken one, the SI storyline is what's severely broken.

Edited by DesonEQ

Jedi Knight, Trooper and Bounty Hunter overall have the best IMO

Fave 5 picks in order (based purely on conversation, story, voice, looks, NOT on combat effectiveness or crew skills)

1) Blizz (BH), - by a CLEAR MILE the best in the game !

2) T7-01 (JK) - SWTORs answer to R2-D2. Quality.

3) Doc (JK) - he is a medic han solo ! ;-)

4) Mako (BH), - great voice, good looking, works well in the group

5) Gault (BH), - not convinced on the voice, sounds too geeky to me. But looks awesome.

For me i have to agree with a few people saying that Agent has the worst overall.

Worst 5 in order (most hated at the top)

1) Skadge (BH) - I really want to punch him !!!! HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE SKADGE ! Miserable, ungrateful, whiny, moaning. If i get the opportunity in the future to kill or remove a companion from group, he is GONE !

2) Guss Tuno - i just dont like the fish guys ! The very sight and sound of them irritates me.

3) Kaliyo (IA) - always so miserable

4) Scorpio (IA) - so cool in looks and story but SO MISERABLE ALL THE TIME, threatening to kill me... WHY would i have a companion that wants to kill me !?!?

5) M1-4X (Trooper) - so cool in looks, but that voice !!! I cant help thinking of the Lost in Space robot ! "Danger, Danger "

As for #1, can I trade you for the Wookiee? Conversation 1: I WAS A SLAVE. 2: I WAS A SLAVE. 3: I WAS A SLAVE. 4: I hate Trandoshans, also I WAS A SLAVE.

LMAO !!! I laughed so much at this ! xD Brilliant !

the smuggler gets guss late on, hands down the best healer and my fav companion

sith warrior, gets quinn early on, a rubbish healer, almost put me off using healing companions. guss restored my faith tho

(or is that just because. the SW was my first toon, and the smuggler is my third. and now i am much more familiar with how the gear works, and how much better purple is over green?)

what ever the reason , they are my choices

Bowdaar. Why must you fail me so many blasted times? I love this big guy, I have him out with my Smuggler when I'm about on the Fleet but when I start doing missions, I have to send him away. He just cannot take the damage and I have him very heavily geared too. No reason for this poor Wookiee to keep dropping on me like this that well equipped.

:ph_cheers:

seems that most tanking companions are pretty bad IMO at tanking unless u can heal them. bioware need up their game.

Best id have to say

1. Doc-i love this guy so much hes like my Jk best friends the 2 dudes out fighting everything they see and his conversations allways get me loling
  2. Smugglers-companions- i love them all i just dont understand why people hate them so much at times.
  3. Vette- she cracks me up especially at the fact that she thinks im a great guy even thougth im like max dark side/ she just doesnt see all the evil things i do
  4. Pierce- love his attitude hes loyal but not amfraid to speak his mind id make him an officor and replace quinn anyday.

Worst

1. Boomark- i still have no idea why hes even with me i didnt want him or need him and would have preferd to leave him on hoth (i mean be honist bioware should have let us kill 1 of our tank companions)
  2. DS Jessa- i dont really hate her 100% but she is pissing me off over the fact she keeps throwing herself at me even thougth i said no.
  3. Scourge-simply because me cant romance him
  4. Skadge- i havent actually gotten my Bh to the lvl to get him yet but i can allready tell im gtonna hate him

Smugglers-companions- i love them all i just dont understand why people hate them so much at times.

DS Jessa- i dont really hate her 100% but she is pissing me off over the fact she keeps throwing herself at me even thougth i said no.

I have this problem with Corso, hence the hate. The rest of the Smuggler crew is mostly at "neutral to uninspired" in my book, with the exception of Guss.

Scourge-simply because me cant romance him

Hear, hear. I love Scourge anyway - let's face it, he's the only intellectual the Knight gets - but daaaamn, I was so disappointed to see how thoroughly unromanceable he was.

I agree with the original poster that the SW has the best companions. Both from a story line point of view as well as skill balance. Specifically, the SW's companions use a range of light, medium and heavy armor (and droid parts technically). Plus, between the 5 of them all of the four primary stats are represented.

Although Quinn's betrayal was annoying, and pointless.

Honorable mention goes to the BH.

Exactly I am 100% in agreement with this. I would like to add that my favorite companion by far is Mako, she is so useful at healing and attacking, I love her personality and she is so cute!!! The warrior does seem to have the best line-up so far as I have seen. Jaesa is really good, and Vette too but not as good as Jaesa. I really do hate Khem Val for the inquisitor, and Ashara while she seems like a cool character is completely useless if you are Darkside and she is a royal pain in the butt to gain affection for either way!

The other thing bugging me besides the lousy companions is the lack of other people to play with on my server. I hope they get more people or consolidate servers or allow transfers (sorry for being off topic).

I think Sith Warrior has by far the most interesting companions. Well although I disliked her anti-imperial stance, I sort of loved Vette's personality and storyline. Since I am more of a "military type" I also liked Quinn. Pierce is a perfect counterpart for Quinn. Well you probably know that I really like Jaessa :). Broonmark is okay too.

Despite the fact that (in my opinion) Imperial Agent has probably the best storyline, I have to say it has the worst companions. You probably know by now how much I hate Kaliyo so I will just move on. Vector and the whole bug thing completely turned me off. Well to be honest I haven't spent much time on Lokin since he immediately seemed uninteresting. Temple is kinda okay. And the droid is just weird. You just can't like someone who doesn't liek you and is trying to kill you.

My favorite characters so far are Mako, Jaesa, Raina Temple, Vette, Quinn (pretty much because he can heal and attack at the same time like Mako) - I don't really care for him otherwise he is just useful in battle. The imperial agent has the worst they are all ugly freaks and useless in battle but I like Raina obviously. The Inquisitor line-up is pretty darn bad as well

seems that most tanking companions are pretty bad IMO at tanking unless u can heal them. bioware need up their game.

I can add to this that healing companions called good/bad mostly depending on what level do you get them. If they come too early - they can not really heal yet, therefor look as useless as tanks.

Speaking of best class companion-wise, I would go with those who says BH. The only class where I finished all companions stories. And I still consider my JC as main and the best class for me. Yet, BH with companions was simply that interesting. Yes, even so hated Skadge.

Some thoughts about poor guy:

Have to admit, I spoiled my "Skadge romance" - read all the hate topics about him. And they all worked - I hated the poor guy in advance and was seriously thinking of shelving my BH untill carbonizing companions option will be implemented. But I liked BH too much to stop, so finally met legendary hulk. Now I do not understand all that hatred. Seriously, you, guys, are overreacting.

Granted, I knew that choosing option "no way you are coming with me" is pointless, so I took another for face-saving. But to be honest I do not think phrase "I will keep you on a short leash" (1st option) is much better. Yet, he totally bought it and did not mind. He also was ok with previous similar sentence and answered "Want to boss me around? Fine!". Even more, it looks like I promised to let him kill Jedi we were after and then as LS BH broke that promise. I simply felt like I do owe the guy a lift to the next space-port after that. And about his uselessness, not only some of us do prefer to run with a melee tank, when Skadge ask you to give him a lift he literally said "take me with you, I will kill for you". Fair suggestion from a bully like he is.

He _is_ a rude stupid bully, but a comical one. You can make fun of him, insult him or ignore him - he does not complain. I do believe he was one of those companion we could let go in beta (like we could kill Quinn) but he is not half as bad as people say. Actually, if that carbonizing option will ever come to the game I am not sure I will use it on him. And right now my only regret is I did not get Skadge before Alderaan. Man what a fun would it be to see him talking with all those nobles!

As of my beloved JC - you have so many people on board of your ship, only the most interested and early obtained companions really stand out. Others simply lost.

I can add to this that healing companions called good/bad mostly depending on what level do you get them. If they come too early - they can not really heal yet, therefor look as useless as tanks.

Speaking of best class companion-wise, I would go with those who says BH. The only class where I finished all companions stories. And I still consider my JC as main and the best class for me. Yet, BH with companions was simply that interesting. Yes, even so hated Skadge.

Have to admit, I spoiled my "Skadge romance" - read all the hate topics about him. And they all worked - I hated the poor guy in advance and was seriously thinking of shelving my BH untill carbonizing companions option will be implemented. But I liked BH too much to stop, so finally met legendary hulk. Now I do not understand all that hatred. Seriously, you, guys, are overreacting.

Granted, I knew that choosing option "no way you are coming with me" is pointless, so I took another for face-saving. But to be honest I do not think phrase "I will keep you on a short leash" (1st option) is much better. Yet, he totally bought it and did not mind. He also was ok with previous similar sentence and answered "Want to boss me around? Fine!". Even more, it looks like I promised to let him kill Jedi we were after and then as LS BH broke that promise. I simply felt like I do owe the guy a lift to the next space-port after that. And about his uselessness, not only some of us do prefer to run with a melee tank, when Skadge ask you to give him a lift he literally said "take me with you, I will kill for you". Fair suggestion from a bully like he is.

He _is_ a rude stupid bully, but a comical one. You can make fun of him, insult him or ignore him - he does not complain. I do believe he was one of those companion we could let go in beta (like we could kill Quinn) but he is not half as bad as people say. Actually, if that carbonizing option will ever come to the game I am not sure I will use it on him. And right now my only regret is I did not get Skadge before Alderaan. Man what a fun would it be to see him talking with all those nobles!

Is your BH male or female? My understanding is that that potentially makes quite a difference in how you perceive him - he doesn't make sexually predatory comments to the male BH.

Edited by Celacia

My BH is female (as myself). And the only comment that some can take as sexual was "I will be gentle with you, girly".

Now, why am I saying "can be taken as sexual": the whole dialog where this comment appears is about you (BH) openly saying to Skadge you are going to throw him in space (literally - "keep it up and I'll kill you"). After you say it, he answers "I will be gentle" and to me it looked more like "I will be careful around you".

Guess I am not yet at the stage when context is meaningless and you only react on triggers like "girly" :)

Edited by Mirandel

From what I've played and observed, Sith Warrior has the most vivid group. Not only can you romance two people in either gender, you have the option of turning one of them into light or dark side, and I love watching Pierce and Quinn argue in cutscenes.

Jedi Knight group comes in second in my opinion. Jedi Knight has R2-D2 style droid and Bastila style Jedi, Han Solo style Doc, as well as a major story character Sith.

#3 I pick Trooper and smuggler. The purpose of the team is nearly unquestionable, with Tanno Vik being the anti-hero, overall the most cohesive group. Smuggler's group is full of strange outcasts, from poverty to loyalty, mercenary to Jedi, and of course the first of all companions, a wookie.

But there are great companions in every class. Tharan, Lokin, and Mako are the trio healers I adore, Khem and Andronikos are the lovable bad guys.

My BH is still early on in Belsavis; I've run into Skadge twice. But IMO there's little comical about him. His first scene is horrible.

He's got one of Zale Barrows' crew members, a Zabrak woman, and it looks like he's been trying to beat information out of her. When you show up, he hears you and thinks you're Zale, and says, "Hey, Zale! I like your plaything, maybe I'll keep 'er awhile"... and if you opt to let her go, he tells her, "Run, girlie--but when I find you, I'm gonna see how much you can scream before your lungs go."

His second scene (when Barrows is behind the barrier) just makes him look like a short-fused moron. When you come back to that spot and Barrows is gone, Skadge has taken out his rage on the droid, destroying something that could have helped you (both) get to your target. (Yeah, we can try to hotwire it now, but we could have done that before you scrapped it and possibly damaged some of the data..)

My BH ( LS V, and female, if it matters) doesn't want this sociopathic turd anywhere near her, her ship, or her crew. Even as a walking wrecking ball.

OTHER than Skadge, I'm loving the BH crew -- they have a lot of great interplay, and even with their variety of personalities and prejudices, my hunter gets along with all of them -- though sometimes on different grounds. Mako and Gault encourage me to ask for money, while Torian generally dislikes it; Torian and Mako may approve of mercifully letting someone go, while Gault finds this dangerous. (I haven't gotten a lot of ups or downs from Blizz; I get the impression he's just along to enjoy the ride. And that's cool too.)

Edited by Jenovan

Kaliyo, and Khem Val are the worst companion characters, they both die constantly even though they have high stat heavy armor. Which make's being a sniper and assassin a royal pain in the ***** as they are supposed to be tanks that draw the fire away from you. Kaliyo's story and personality are interesting but in combat she is useless. Kaliyo is pretty darn ugly too like the rest of the crew with freaks and weirdos in the agent crew with the exception of Raina Temple (if you get a good customization on her). Thank goodness my Sniper is attractive and great in combat as everyone else is ugly and useless I put helmets on there heads so I do not have to see their ugly faces! I do like the BH crew so far but I have not gotten far enough to really judge that yet. I really do enjoy this game and just wish there were more people on it. It does have a lot of problems but to me it has more going for it than against it. I respect everyone's differing opinions mine are just based on my experience so far and may not be the same as everyone else's.

Like: Blizz is hard to beat. If only everyone in real life had his attitude... Skadge is a close second. His antics are just great.

Dislike: on my Jugg, I really dislike Quinn. He is a creep, he has always been a creep, but I have to use him whenever I am doing the Belsavis H2 dailies.... Yuck.

My BH is female (as myself). And the only comment that some can take as sexual was "I will be gentle with you, girly".

Now, why am I saying "can be taken as sexual": the whole dialog where this comment appears is about you (BH) openly saying to Skadge you are going to throw him in space (literally - "keep it up and I'll kill you"). After you say it, he answers "I will be gentle" and to me it looked more like "I will be careful around you".

Guess I am not yet at the stage when context is meaningless and you only react on triggers like "girly" :)

Girly isn't the trigger, it's his overall manner from the first time you meet him. Between that and his opening threat to Mako on the ship, he comes across to me as a stupid sadistic psychopath and implied r****t. All his anecdotes and exchanges deal with torture and murder and when there is a female involved, the creep factor goes up exponentially. The idea that I would let this guy on my ship in any fashion is gamebreaking.

Edited by DesonEQ

Wow! You got me beat on creepy companion's. Dr. Lokin although is along the same lines of a creep he manipulates your character and uses you and I don't want him on my ship with my Female Sniper either! He is only out for himself, is a creepy scumbag, and on top of all that he turns into a Rakghoul if you get is affection up (ultra creepy). If I could I would throw him out the airlock. I said so to him as well in front of Kaliyo and she liked it. Kaliyo is creepy and a psychopath but somehow less offensive, and creepy, and sometimes funny. Lokin is also a useless POS in combat like the annoying ***** butler robot that has to be on your team I would love to flush him out the airlock too! lol!

Girly isn't the trigger, it's his overall manner from the first time you meet him. Between that and his opening threat to Mako on the ship, he comes across to me as a stupid sadistic psychopath and implied r****t. All his anecdotes and exchanges deal with torture and murder and when there is a female involved, the creep factor goes up exponentially. The idea that I would let this guy on my ship in any fashion is gamebreaking.

I dislike Skadge but I don't think his character is as terrible as everybody else does. Frankly, playing a BH I expected to run into more people like him, instead the most sinister person on my ship (pre-Skadge) was Gault. So I think Skadge definitely fills a big personality hole that most people expected from a BH's crew.

The only travesty is not Skadge's character, but the writing for his recruitment. I mean sure, the darker, more sadistic BH's were probably more than happy to accept him aboard with little motivation, but for everybody else it's just a joke. Torian joins you in a similar circumstance - he asks to join up with you because he wants to and you let him because, hey, why not? The writing there is still not great but at least Torian is a neutral enough character that it's feasible that BHs of all stripes wouldn't mind him tagging along. But Skadge is so polarizing that they really needed to provide a good incentive so even if you didn't like him, you thought you needed to bring him along.