Guide: Leveling a tri-spec Sorcerer 1-50

Iselin

After getting wrath, I immediately started working towards resurgence+force bending. Once you get 2/2 Force Bending everything becomes so much smoother, that skill is just incredible.

It's the key to healing as a Sorcerer. Bubble + Resurgence + 2 Dark Infusions (Rejuvenate + 2 Deliverance) is enough to take anyone from the brink of death to almost full health.

Once you know how good it is, it's actually hard to leave the Corruption (Seer) part of this spec for last... I'm currently leveling a Sage also and was thinking of doing just that.

First time around, Chain Lightning was just too seductive to not do Lightning second. I'll see how it goes leveling healing after Pressence of Mind (Wrath) and maybe edit the OP.

On my first sorc I leveled Lightning first, thirsting after Chain Lightning, then went for Madness, and finally up to Force Bending. Chain Lightning is nice and all, but if I had it to do over again (which I do now on my second sorc), I'd go up Madness first because Madness+Sith Efficacy is just too convenient. In every case, though, I'd save most Corruption points for later because it is only in later levels that healing becomes so crucial (especially for solo quests). For the first half to two-thirds, DPS is usually the most efficient questing tactic. Still, I typically start out with my first two points reducing the cast time on my heal, so that all through the leveling process I can more effectively throw out heals when I really need to.

I can attest to Khem as being the best companion even though I leveled as Corruption.

Even if I healed a DPS companion, they couldn't hold aggro on all the mobs. If I wanted to AoE I had at least 2 beating on me as well. I found it more convenient to just have to heal Khem as he tanked the pack of NPCs rather than have them spread everywhere attacking myself and my DPS companion.

Granted, no pure DPS is a little slower I found it more enjoyable. I could also solo almost any elite/champ mob.

Edited by SirCruor

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm.

my sorc is lvl39 atm and the elites start to get real nasty :)

so far i've put all my points in lightning and i will do it until i get the last ability to test it for myself.

my companion is andronikus so far and i gave him some good orange blasters so atm he kicks asses :D

but i wouldnt recommend it lol. especially vs elites i use alot of stun/force slow/ force speed + force lightning slow to kite them to death.

but i really enjoy it.

to make my post to the topic:

if the last ability in lightning sucks as much as most people say it does i will try out your build :D

BTW let me start out by saying great guide; I also vote for sticky.

Now I would like to add comment to your guide about your 40-50 section. Going that high into the healing tree when you get near 50, I feel is a bit of a waste, because once you ding 50 you will change your spec to the end-spec you want to play. Nevertheless, I could see it if a person want to get a feel for the corruption tree.

I also feel that Oppressing Force and Haunted Dreams (in madness) are worth their weight in gold as you level, when fighting multiply Strongs and/or Elites. I cannot tell you how many times being able to CC 3 mobs make a world of difference while soloing. (this is my opinion on these talents)

As for the debate on companions, personally it comes down to a person’s play-style. I prefer Khem or Ashara to the rest of my companions. I use either one based on what rank of the mob (Use Khem for soloing Elites). Again comes down to play-style.

Now here is the spec I am using until I get to 50 (very similar to what you posted). I just want to help by giving a variation that may help others during this tier of leveling.

Variation Spec: 9/12/20

Edited by Nutthouse

Awesome guide definitely deserves a sticky. My sorcerer is only level 19 and i respecced to try out this for leveling so far it is working well. Thanks to all the other constructive posts in this thread, Nutthouse you have an very interesting variant I may give a shot.

I'm just glad the cost of respeccing your tune is a lot less sever than another well known mmorpg that I shall not name.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent post. Im leveling as a healer (18/7/3) but will give this a try for a few levels.

My .02...

Honestly, I think the sorcerer can level any spec, but leveling heavy heals is the slow way to go. I leveled the 31 points madness without any issues other than switching out xalek for talos on the final fight. the instant whirlwind is verrrrrry nice to have. Stronger dots mean that you can top up your tank while they tick away, all the while healing you from ...

Hokos spec is very nice too. But its really a one trick pony in that you're working those chain lightning wrath procs for a lot of AoE. IMO its better suited to PvP medal farming as it doesn't play nicely with CC, and is very force intensive comparatively. Also its more of a race to kill everything before your companion dies...

Reference

Creeping Terror (3/7/31)

ROFL... oh wait, you're serious... OK here it goes:

I want to thank the academy and everyone who thought of this spec whether they posted it as a one liner, wrote a guide or just dreamt they had... I want to thank my parents for having me and everyone elses's parents for having them... and baby jesus too.

You sir, win. Heh heh.

A post-1.2 note to all...

As I'm sure many of you have heard by now, there are some big changes coming to Sorcerers (most classes really) in 1.2.

Two changes in particular have a a large impact on this tri-spec: Chain Lightning will no longer be a +20% damage instant procced off Force Lightning and Force Bending will no longer reduce the cast time of Dark Infusion by 1 second.

For this spec, those changes are huge. I see very little point in taking CL or FB now and I'll have to do some serious thinking about what should replace them... if anything. This spec could very well go the way of the dodo post 1.2.

Edited by Iselin

• 5 months later...

Any update, or a comparative guide/build, for the current version of the game?

I just started up an Inquisitor, and was hoping to follow the advice in this guide. I was saddened to learn that after 1.2 it's no longer applicable.

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any problems with flash point groups? I've leveled to 37, mostly following Madness spec with a few points in corruption. Since the start I've played healer with all my groups (have Heal & DPS checked in group finder). I haven't had any problems healing.... until now.

Foundry flash point was a disaster. It went fine all the way until the end, and then wipe, wipe, wipe. I couldn't keep up, and kept running out of Force. I got dumped from the group. One guy was pretty upset that I wasn't "a real healer". After doing some reading I see that he's right... there's a lot more to healer than I've been playing.

I'm new to MMO, and I don't want to be THAT GUY. So looking for some feedback.

My initial plan was to play DPS to learn (hence the Madness spec). I've been having a blast healing, so think I'd like to go in that direction. All my research says its possible to level as a healer, but then I see so many people in this thread being successful with the tri-spec.

I'd love some advice from more experienced players. I plan to level 50 and get into end game stuff.

How hard will it be to learn to use healer abilities at this level (instead of from the start)? Maybe I should wait until I reach 50? I don't want to cause wipes cause I don't know the different abilities.

Maybe I keep with the Madness focus and forget about playing healer role in flash points at these levels? (oh... usually I am 4-5 levels above my current missions, but now see that this wasn't the case for Foundry (37 and up... I will for sure wait until I level up to do this one again).

What do you think?

Anyone have any problems with flash point groups? I've leveled to 37, mostly following Madness spec with a few points in corruption. Since the start I've played healer with all my groups (have Heal & DPS checked in group finder). I haven't had any problems healing.... until now.

Foundry flash point was a disaster. It went fine all the way until the end, and then wipe, wipe, wipe. I couldn't keep up, and kept running out of Force. I got dumped from the group. One guy was pretty upset that I wasn't "a real healer". After doing some reading I see that he's right... there's a lot more to healer than I've been playing.

I'm new to MMO, and I don't want to be THAT GUY. So looking for some feedback.

My initial plan was to play DPS to learn (hence the Madness spec). I've been having a blast healing, so think I'd like to go in that direction. All my research says its possible to level as a healer, but then I see so many people in this thread being successful with the tri-spec.

I'd love some advice from more experienced players. I plan to level 50 and get into end game stuff.

How hard will it be to learn to use healer abilities at this level (instead of from the start)? Maybe I should wait until I reach 50? I don't want to cause wipes cause I don't know the different abilities.

Maybe I keep with the Madness focus and forget about playing healer role in flash points at these levels? (oh... usually I am 4-5 levels above my current missions, but now see that this wasn't the case for Foundry (37 and up... I will for sure wait until I level up to do this one again).

What do you think?

For healing FP post 30, as a sorc, you need to be nearly full heal spec to get innervate.

Simply, lack of the 1,5 sec DI we used to have pre 1,2 just makes you unable to keep up.

Your emergency healing is pretty much bubbling, innervate to get a cushion, and DI to get back the health out of the red zone.

This all-around wonder the OP was talking about is just no longer available.

Sorc healing is currently lacking for spike healing, so you need all the talents you can get, or you go out of force fast.