Deception tree viable in current game status?

Aryslan

I come back after 6 months of non gaming and would like to know if the Deception tree assassin is right now viable.

I had a Deception sin that rerolled to Darkness to be viable in PvP and flashpoints since marauders, operatives (not at that time) and snipers were better DPS, sorcs were outta the chart.

I have created a sin from start and specced darkness but i like moer the DPS side of the sin. I read in the forums that seems viable but for levelling and getting into operations and flashpoints? And PvP?

So what are your impressions? It is viable to spec Deception at 50? Will survie in PvP?? Any suggestions and builds are brutally welcomed.

Edited by Aryslan

Yes Deception is very much viable again. In pvp this spec finally has the survivability to get set up for your burst. As far as pve, again it seems the abilities and rotations seem to scale with gear. Many end game Assassins with great gear are swearing up and down that Deception dps is not only keeping up with Madness spec but pushing other dps classes as well.

I love deception for both PVE and PVP i would play it all the time if my guild didnt need me tanking, so i respec back and forth for PVE and PVP

I do too. When game launched created a deception sin until the only viable spec was darkness, then rerolled operative since it was also roguis, in fact more roguish than the sith assassin (closer to the typical backstabber role) until it got nerfed to the point of no return. All i saw was low population and 90% sorcs.

After some time of non gaming i returned and wanted to know if the class i wanted to play at launch was viable.

So far im 23 and I could have it easier if i waited 4 or 5 levels before respeccing to deception but the cameplay was so boring...

I am a lot closer to death in a lot more situations, but its nice to have the *low health* feeling again.

Yes Deception is very much viable again. In pvp this spec finally has the survivability to get set up for your burst. As far as pve, again it seems the abilities and rotations seem to scale with gear. Many end game Assassins with great gear are swearing up and down that Deception dps is not only keeping up with Madness spec but pushing other dps classes as well.

I personally have good gear and I always parse about 100 dps pve behind for deception when compared to madness. Could some deception sins post their logs so I can take a look at what their breakdowns are? If dummy please only post 1600+ dps. Thank you.

Edited by Dierdrea

Well, IMO, for PVP, it's still not as good as a Sin Tank. I leveled both a Shadow & Sin in the Deception/Infiltration trees and I wanted them to work so much, but as most ppl, I switched over to Sin Tank. I was really excited with the 1.4 changes and I had high hopes. I spec into the full deception and played PVP for a week....I'm back to Darkness :(

If my rated team needs a DPS, we'll still take a Mara over Deception Sin.

Edited by thefishdude

I have been rocking my sin since 1.4 - had him shelved for months and months..aside from PVE tanking I PVP dps now using deception - and I can take down any class with ease (For the most part) I am usually top dps, and the taunt guard is pretty awesome.

I must be doing something different or just good at it, because most of the other dps assassins i run into during warzones are usually half my damage :/

I personally have good gear and I always parse about 100 dps pve behind for deception when compared to madness. Could some deception sins post their logs so I can take a look at what their breakdowns are? If dummy please only post 1600+ dps. Thank you.

When 1.4 hit I immediately went to the dummy and started parsing not only Deception but several different hybrid specs to really find out if anything stood out. At first as full Deception I was consistently parsing about 100-200 dps less than my main spec Madness. My gear is full augmented Black Hole with a few Campaign pieces.

When I consulted some Assassins that where in bigger guilds and better gear they said that they ran higher crit than normal and Deception starts to shine. Also when I went back and started back on the dummies I found that my dps actually started getting better as Deception, going from 1550 to 1650. I could have just been better at the Madness rotations because I was so used to them. After some practice (even though the Deception rotation is so much simpler than Madness) I started getting much better and even though I did not adjust my crit yet I got my Deception dps within 50 dps of Madness.

Lastly I parsed the spec I pvp with 0-14-28 and performed even better than Madness by 50 dps. Maybe I did better with this spec just because I am so used to it, idk.

I used to be about 200-100 dps behind Madness but as I practiced I got Deception to with in 50 dps, 1600-1650 Deception compared to 1650-1700 for Madness. I also consulted several Assassin that had better gear and more experience than me and they all suggested raising crit rating above the 33%-35% that is pretty much standard for the other classes. When I parsed the spec I have been using the most lately for pvp (0-14-28) I was averaging 1700-1800 dps which is even higher than Madness.

I found that when I parsed spec vrs spec with several 3-5min parses I got mixed results. When I parsed a spec after playing it for a day or two I found that not only did I parse 100-150 dps higher but the over all parse felt much more accurate as my rotations were much cleaner.

When I look at the changes in 1.4 there was nothing that stood out that made me feel that Deception was going to get a huge increase in dps. Sure Maul hits harder, but Madness takes advantage of the same talent since it was a tier 1 talent. Yes the execute phase is smoother now for Deception, but it was never really a dps boost since all you were actually gaining was a global on an ability you are going to use anyways. So why is Deception all of a sudden keeping pace with Madness and other dps classes? My theory is Shock, this ability is just scaling better than the rest of the abilities. I remember a time when Madness Assassins put up far better numbers when they took Shock out of their rotation even if they were going to miss out on Unearthed Knowledge. Then when Assassins started putting on Campaign gear and min maxing their mods they found that putting Shock back in the rotation is increasing their dps. Well Shock is one of Deception Assassins main abilities and probably Shock more than any other spec. With Shock scaling so well, its putting Deception back on the map. That is my theory anyways.

Edited by Xethis

I used to be about 200-100 dps behind Madness but as I practiced I got Deception to with in 50 dps, 1600-1650 Deception compared to 1650-1700 for Madness. I also consulted several Assassin that had better gear and more experience than me and they all suggested raising crit rating above the 33%-35% that is pretty much standard for the other classes. When I parsed the spec I have been using the most lately for pvp (0-14-28) I was averaging 1700-1800 dps which is even higher than Madness.

I found that when I parsed spec vrs spec with several 3-5min parses I got mixed results. When I parsed a spec after playing it for a day or two I found that not only did I parse 100-150 dps higher but the over all parse felt much more accurate as my rotations were much cleaner.

When I look at the changes in 1.4 there was nothing that stood out that made me feel that Deception was going to get a huge increase in dps. Sure Maul hits harder, but Madness takes advantage of the same talent since it was a tier 1 talent. Yes the execute phase is smoother now for Deception, but it was never really a dps boost since all you were actually gaining was a global on an ability you are going to use anyways. So why is Deception all of a sudden keeping pace with Madness and other dps classes? My theory is Shock, this ability is just scaling better than the rest of the abilities. I remember a time when Madness Assassins put up far better numbers when they took Shock out of their rotation even if they were going to miss out on Unearthed Knowledge. Then when Assassins started putting on Campaign gear and min maxing their mods they found that putting Shock back in the rotation is increasing their dps. Well Shock is one of Deception Assassins main abilities and probably Shock more than any other spec. With Shock scaling so well, its putting Deception back on the map. That is my theory anyways.

Could you please post some logs with TORparse.com or similar? Thanks.

Edited by Dierdrea

Could you please post some logs with TORparse.com or similar? Thanks.

I use MoniTOR to show my dps, I really dont know how to post from that data. I went to TORparse but all i see is a white page not sure where to start. As far as MOX I dont have the latest .NetFramwork and for some reason my OS wont update anymore. Too much p orn I guess. Anyways Ill try to figure out how to get data from MoniTOR

Edited by Xethis