Conveinent lag

Hialot

I've seen it happening more n more all of a sudden a large amount of lag hits and the most conveinent time for the opposing team. I know it's not my computer as I have 80-100 fps on avg.

I've heard some people say "someone on their team is spamming screan shots which makes no sense on effect to anyone else but the person doing it.

Just wanted to put this out there to see if I am the only person this seems to happen to or if this is an exploit of some kind...

It's happened to me before but I usually write it off to me remembering when lag screwed me over and forgetting about it when it didn't matter. Also never mind the times when I'm fighting someone and I'm thinking they are retarded and they are probably just lagging.

If it was the same guy and it happened several times I would be suspicious.

I always find lag to be inconvenient no matter which team I am on.

While the "thought" it being convenient has crossed my mind before, I have never singled out any particular player, guild, or faction. I don't know if it's the games servers or people doing it on their own. If it was something I mentally recorded, like every time I get close to "guy A", then maybe I'd file a ticket.

Odds are I'd just finish the game and re-q though and not give it another thought.

Edited by Master_Nate

If it was the same guy and it happened several times I would be suspicious.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I STARTED THIS POST... i'll not mention names as it is forbidden but just last night a GS pub was beating on em then all of a sudden crazy lag which i never get. next thing i see is i'm behind the glass and they scored in huttball. So i said to my guildie watch him same thing happened to him and a second and third time off the same guy.

I've disreguarded lag of this kind before but lately seems very suspicious.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I STARTED THIS POST... i'll not mention names as it is forbidden but just last night a GS pub was beating on em then all of a sudden crazy lag which i never get. next thing i see is i'm behind the glass and they scored in huttball. So i said to my guildie watch him same thing happened to him and a second and third time off the same guy.

I've disreguarded lag of this kind before but lately seems very suspicious.

As for my post, that has just been my experience and how I've handled it so far. I'm all for cracking down on these things though. I just wanted to clarify that with you, thanks.

What server are you on? I had this in a POT5 HB this week:

I was running by an acid pit towards the pedestal. Ball reset, a red grabbed it, furball ensued, then:

Frozen type lag > Score > Score. 2 goals immediately back to back.

When a third happened and I was still stuck staring at the acid pit I left the match. This wasn't like the bad rubberbanding that everyone gets periodically. I saw only a few frames from start to end, and was completely frozen during the 2 scores.

I've seen it happening more n more all of a sudden a large amount of lag hits and the most conveinent time for the opposing team. I know it's not my computer as I have 80-100 fps on avg.

I've heard some people say "someone on their team is spamming screan shots which makes no sense on effect to anyone else but the person doing it.

Just wanted to put this out there to see if I am the only person this seems to happen to or if this is an exploit of some kind...

It's called a lag switch and it is an exploit.

Whenever it lags, check who profits from that - honest players do not benefit from lag - then report as appropriate.

It's called a lag switch and it is an exploit.

Whenever it lags, check who profits from that - honest players do not benefit from lag - then report as appropriate.

The lazy man's source Wikipedia says: "From the opponents' perspective, the player using the device may appear to be teleporting, invisible or invincible, while the opponents suffer delayed animations and fast-forwarded game play, delivered in bursts."

^ Sounds about right.

I have seen this occasionally on Bastion. IDK about the screen shots thing but whenever it happens, it has NEVER been to my team or my advantage. Since the only time I see a hint of lag is on the fleet when there are 235 people and since Warzones are a separate instance, I find it hard to believe that the servers are having trouble keeping up with 16 players.

lag can happen sometimes to everyone, no matter how good your PC or how good your internet service is.

as for lag switch and other lag type exploits, they usually stand out because it will be the same person or couple of people and everyone else can notice it.

couple examples...

in a huttball match this morning, i was coming out of respawn and saw an assasin speeding across the last fire pit on his way to score. everything looked normal to me, but someone on my team, saw the same person basically rubber band then teleport into the endzone. in this case, it was just the person on my team getting a lag spike and not because the other guy was cheating.

on the other hand, in a voidstar WZ the other day, a PT was teleporting all over the place and would apear to be laying down whenever he stopped moving. everyone on my team could see it and the only time he could be hit was if he was stunned and not moving. marking him and paying attention to him the entire match, was easy to see he was cheating because it was just happening with him and only when he was being attacked.

when you see something funky happening and its the same person and everyone on your team can see the same thing happening,,, then report it. posting it on forums does nothing.

last night this happened a bunch to me.

in voidstar, multiple times when the opposing team was trying to plant all of the sudden there were massive lag spikes. in huttball as well, massive lag spikes multiple times when fighting over the ball at mid. in novare, we experienced massive amounts of lag when trying to cap the mid turret on a couple of occasions. and it was not my pc, as people i was in vent with, and other people in the group, also experienced the lag

i didnt see anything suspicious, but the timing of the lag spikes and the fact that they occurred multiple times all in similar situations, leads me to believe there is an issue.

my gut reaction is that in all of those situations, AOE spamming is wide spread. given with how bioware has terrible coding practices, im thinking that they may be rendering every single projectile and particle effect as a separate entity. hopefully one of their next optimizations is either allowing particle effect scaling client side (being able to lower the number of visible particle effects that are not affecting the player) and/or optimizing the way that multiple particle effects are rendering within close proximity

Edited by cashogy

I have seen this a few times in warzones. I've seen it once done by a PUG team mate on voidstar to cap a door very recently, but didn't see who capped. I was near the bridge and fighting when he ran past to the door which was undefended. Started Capping and I lagged as did the guy I was fighting till the bomb literally was planted. It was really obvious and there is clearly an exploit that creates client lag for all people in a warzone or at least in some proximity of the person using the cheat .

Its very much potentially being exploited to do damage spikes since the client still registers keystrokes pending. Suddenly, the client lags and your dead, or your healer is dead. This is done to prevent your healer/tank catching the spikes. I suspect this is being used.

Its not overly frequent but I've seen enough to be very suspicious of lag in pvp especially when its timing is just so perfect.

I've seen some odd thing happen lately that I don't think are hack but coding problems. As a gunslinger I got stuck in cover which is bad in some regards but I could move, which also means people can't leap to me. I've seen stealthers do the same, where they were stuck in stealth when they respawned.

What is a lag switch??? never heard of it before.

Even at the risk that this post gets deleted, I believe educating the players is the best weapon against cheaters.

A lag switch is not a hack, but a legitimate networking tool, made be reputable companies (i.e. netlimiter).

Essentially, it throttles your computer's connection to the internet, thereby creating articifical lag whenever you toggle the switch (that's just a mouse click).

Lag switches have been exploited for many years in many different games. Strictly speaking, no software is required, it just makes it a lot more convenient to cheat. In the old Halo 2 days, you could just unplug your x-box cable for a few seconds to create the same effect. :D

Any lag (natural or artificial) will cause client and server to go out of sync and then resync again.

During that period, your toon is immune to whatever happens real-time, but you can move around and/or queue up abilities and they will execute in rapid succession after client/server resync.

Some examples of what can be done with a lag switch:

- Skip tough mobs in PVE, skip through hazards in huttball

- Cap/arm/disarm objectives while being attacked

- Glitch out of range when you are close to death

- Stop taking damage while in resync

- Avoid CC, pulls, knockbacks etc.

- And my personal favorite: throw the huttball when you are technically already dead

(they get the message that they defeated the ball carrier, but you can still complete your pass)

Other games counter lag switches by immediately disconnecting the cheater from the game whenever client and server go out of sync. Usually you have to reconnect manually, lose time and get no benefit from it (i.e. LoL).

Unfortunately, SWTOR's engine creates enough natural lag not to make that a good option for Bioware. Also, once out of the warzone, we cannot reconnect to it at this time, which would be a big pain in the butt.

A side effect of lag switches in SWTOR seems to be that they create lag spikes for the people in the same warzone instance as the cheater. I rarely have any natural lag, so whenever I see lag spikes, I get suspicious.

Since honest players don't benefit from lag (that's why we hate lag), I look for whoever profits from it and report them accordingly.

Even at the risk that this post gets deleted, I believe educating the players is the best weapon against cheaters.

A lag switch is not a hack, but a legitimate networking tool, made be reputable companies (i.e. netlimiter).

Essentially, it throttles your computer's connection to the internet, thereby creating articifical lag whenever you toggle the switch (that's just a mouse click).

Lag switches have been exploited for many years in many different games. Strictly speaking, no software is required, it just makes it a lot more convenient to cheat. In the old Halo 2 days, you could just unplug your x-box cable for a few seconds to create the same effect. :D

Any lag (natural or artificial) will cause client and server to go out of sync and then resync again.

During that period, your toon is immune to whatever happens real-time, but you can move around and/or queue up abilities and they will execute in rapid succession after client/server resync.

Some examples of what can be done with a lag switch:

- Skip tough mobs in PVE, skip through hazards in huttball

- Cap/arm/disarm objectives while being attacked

- Glitch out of range when you are close to death

- Stop taking damage while in resync

- Avoid CC, pulls, knockbacks etc.

- And my personal favorite: throw the huttball when you are technically already dead

(they get the message that they defeated the ball carrier, but you can still complete your pass)

Other games counter lag switches by immediately disconnecting the cheater from the game whenever client and server go out of sync. Usually you have to reconnect manually, lose time and get no benefit from it (i.e. LoL).

Unfortunately, SWTOR's engine creates enough natural lag not to make that a good option for Bioware. Also, once out of the warzone, we cannot reconnect to it at this time, which would be a big pain in the butt.

A side effect of lag switches in SWTOR seems to be that they create lag spikes for the people in the same warzone instance as the cheater. I rarely have any natural lag, so whenever I see lag spikes, I get suspicious.

Since honest players don't benefit from lag (that's why we hate lag), I look for whoever profits from it and report them accordingly.

WoW this makes sense now for all mmo's i've ever played lol THX..

BUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT.............

If such a thing is a known fact why the heck hasn't some nerd at BW figured a way to recognize these types of cheats with instant game crash or something.

What server are you on? I had this in a POT5 HB this week:

I was running by an acid pit towards the pedestal. Ball reset, a red grabbed it, furball ensued, then:

Frozen type lag > Score > Score. 2 goals immediately back to back.

When a third happened and I was still stuck staring at the acid pit I left the match. This wasn't like the bad rubberbanding that everyone gets periodically. I saw only a few frames from start to end, and was completely frozen during the 2 scores.

There's a specific rep guild on pot5 where these lag spikes almost always occurs, strangely enough when these folks are about to die, when i find myself lagged a bit, then they are long gone...Also see these folks fade into the floor to escape death (sages & bh too), which i assume is the 'other' fancy escape trick known as /stuck..

I just leave the wz when they are in it now. Eventually someone will create a video of it, and i don't want to be associated with those ******s...

There's a specific rep guild on pot5 where these lag spikes almost always occurs, strangely enough when these folks are about to die, when i find myself lagged a bit, then they are long gone...Also see these folks fade into the floor to escape death (sages & bh too), which i assume is the 'other' fancy escape trick known as /stuck..

I just leave the wz when they are in it now. Eventually someone will create a video of it, and i don't want to be associated with those ******s...

Im on pot5 also I'm guessing same pub guild you run in to

There's a certain new guild on Begeren Colony, pubs who always have convenient lag when they're about to die, and escape. Also sometimes when you attack certain players. I've also noticed what I assume to be teleporting? When someone is in front of me one second, then all the way over somewhere else the next.

Noticing this at Voidstar Games, all matches against pub teams.

Seems to me that people are cheating. But how will I know?

Server PoT5.

I'm on the same server and all my matches were against Imp teams. My lag was so bad it spiked to 22k ms in a HB match tonight.

I took SS, from 7:51pm - 8:13pm, on the Republic fleet showing my lag ranging from 96 ms to 3212 ms.

Edited by Ramtar