[Guide Request]: In depth guide for Ship Roles and Responsibilities

Archonitek

I would like to have a guide available for new pilots that will give easy to read points on the roles and responsibilities of each ship load out for both domination matches and team death matches.

Most of the guides that are available on forums (such as the Stasiepedia, Drakolich's videos or Sriia's Rookie Guide) are usually most focused on components and the mechanics of flying rather than how a pilot should fly in relation to the game mode and what ships to bring out depending on the situation. I think we can all agree that there is nothing more irritating than seeing a cloud of green blips floating around between two satellites trying to shoot down a single scout while A is being capped and B is already gone.

Being mainly a T1 scout pilot I think it would be better if more renowned/experienced forum members/pilots decided to write this up, especially since they would give more insight into flying ships that I would miss (e.g Despon/Mikaboshi on gunships, Drakolich on bombers). I believe the ideal format should be as follows:

Ship: Blackbolt/Novadive (T1 Scout)

Key Component: T1 Rocket Pods, T2 Shield to Engine Converter, Targeting Telemetry

Strength: Speed, hits hard

Weakness: Requires sustained line of sight to inflict maximum damage, killing enemies on objectives, fragile

TDM Role:

• Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • Flanker

Dom Role:

• Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber interceptor
  • First on satellite to secure objective
  • First on satellite to stall enemy capture and delay until teammates arrive

Responibility: Killing exposed gunships and bombers, especially before they've set up. Utilizing Shield to Engine Converter to outflank the other team and do hit and run attacks.

When to use: Heavy amount of enemy gunships. General purpose dogfighting.

Solo Fitness: While capable of putting out large numbers in terms of damage and kills, the Blackbolt/Novadive is often overshadowed by the Sting/Flashfire T2 Scout. Due to its lack of Distortion Field's Evasion buff and Burst Laser Cannon's burst damage, the T1 should be used once a pilot has become more experienced with the intricacies of

GSF and is looking for something a bit different to fly.

Group Fitness: Similar to solo fitness, the T1 Scout will rarely make or break a match. Performance will be largely based on pilot skill and experience.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. And please don't turn this thread into a 'remove gunships' thread that every thread around seems to turn into lol

Edited by Archonitek

BAN GUNSHIPS! REMOVE SCRUBSHIPS!!! 0 SKILLL!!! ... oh, wait.

Ship:Mangler/Quarrel (T1 Gunship)

Key Component: T4 Ion Railgun (area damage), T5 Ion Railgun (either)

Strength: Range, Area Ion Damage, Anti-armor Slug damage

Weakness: Very fragile when attacked by enemy scouts. Mobility is somewhat limited.

TDM Role:

• Weaken close-packed groups of enemies
  • Destroy bomber munitions / bombers
  • Pick off anything with low health

Dom Role:

• Destroy bomber munitions around satellites and roust entrenched bombers
  • Weaken close-packed groups of enemies around satellites
  • Defend satellites in close with BLC when pressure is heavy
  • Destroy turrets when your team is attacking an enemy held satellite
  • Destroy targets of opportunity when primary roles are fulfilled

Responsibility: Support your team by clearing areas of dangerous munitions and by weakening groups of enemies. Kills are a secondary concern to ensuring your team has the advantage when engaging weakened enemies. You are also responsible for getting on top of friendly satellites if they are in danger of falling. Set power to shields, fly evasively, and use Burst Laser Cannon to defend that satellite and hold out until more help arrives.

When to use: In any engagement as part of a balanced team, particularly when the enemy fields a large number of bombers.

Solo Fitness: The T1 gs is always useful to have on your bar because of its utility, but its survivability is questionable when solo-queuing into an inexperienced team. Experienced enemy pilots will easily focus down even an expert T1 gs pilot if there are no other threats to occupy their attention. An experienced T1 gs pilot can carry a match if both sides are of roughly equal intermediate or lesser experience.

Group Fitness: T1 gs are very powerful in a group setting. A coordinated group of 2 scouts, 1 T1 gs, and a T1 bomber is a formidable configuration in Domination matches. In TDM, substitute the T2 bomber for the T1. Scouts should be ready to offer the gunship support if it comes under fire.

___

I'd also do T2 Gunship, but it has no role and people should not use it.

Vexxial is better suited to tackle the T3 Gunship than I am, though if he doesn't catch this thread, I'll write it up.

Despon

Edited by caederon

Thanks for having faith in me despon! I can step up to the plate on this one, however, my build is widely considered to be an oddball one that makes a brazen attempt to challenge conventional logic. That being said, I will try to write this as a general guide to the ship's role, without referencing the specific strengths of each build, which I believe if done for every ship would miss OP's original intention.

Ship: Condor/Jurgoran (T3 Gunship)

Key Component: Slug railgun (T4 accuracy upgrade, T3 Armor pierce upgrade), Missiles

Strength: Range, Anti-armor Slug damage, Maneuverability(compared to other gunships), Limited dogfighting capability

Weakness: Lack of ion railgun, Fragile when caught by surprise, Lack of AoE capability, Lack of ion railgun

TDM Role:

• Cover - Engagement with other gunships
  • Flanking - Greater maneuverability means better positions to catch enemies off-guard
  • Cracking - Penetration of heavily armored targets
  • Infiltration - Ability to operate with a greater degree of autonomy than the quarrel
  • Reduction - Destroying low-health targets
  • Projection - Securing a safe zone for the team

Dom Role:

• Cover - Providing protection against other gunships around the nodes
  • Flanking - Can take up positions above or below satellites to clear them of reds
  • Cracking - Penetrating heavily armored targets, including bombers and turrets
  • Infiltration - Can often take nodes alone without assistance, regardless of the class currently defending
  • Reduction - Destroying low-health targets on the node, allowing your scouts to focus on more important targets
  • Projection - Keeping the area around the sat secure and hit approaching targets on their way in

Responsibility: Securing the battle zone and drawing the lines of battle around areas of interest (utilization of physical cover is very important for this). Scouting for other gunships and flanking opportunities. Operating independently to take the off satellite or to take out stragglers. Engaging in limited dogfights when facing close up enemy fighters. Destroying armored bomber craft.

When to use: Flexible and can be used in most situations, but should NOT be used when ion AoE will help clear a sat, or a bomber (preferably with a beacon) would be more useful to you. Is a very solid gunship to use when solo queing, as it is less reliant on team support (*thanks to sithace for this additional point).

Additional Notes(Optional Read!): Proper power management is key to making this ship work, and if used properly it can be a very independent gunship, able to handle a wider variety of situations that come your way than other gunships. However, the utility is greatly reduced by the lack of ion railgun, and so is its ability to deal with multiple targets at range the way ion can. Additionally, it can be at a disadvantage in gunship duels due to the lack of ion as a debilitating shot, however, there are ways to escape this situation. The inclusion of BLC (and reg. lasers) as well as two varieties of quick-fire missiles allow this ship some flexibility when dealing with enemies that come within 5000m, and the armor piercing slug can finish off fleeing enemies as well as securing an area for your team to operate within. The ship has many excellent components available for use, and different combinations of them can produce results which have the potential to catch your opponents off guard.

I think this is a good thread, props to OP for the idea.

Edited by Lavaar

Despon, your Gunship post is solid, but I feel you've left out a couple things regarding TDM. I'm working on a version of my own, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stepping on any toes by posting it here. Do you mind if I add my own take on T1 GS?

Go for it. Having some different perspectives on various ships is worthwhile.

It may be worth noting that I de-emphasized the T1gs role as a primary ship-killer in TDM (which may be your take on it, if I had to guess) because I felt that particular role is generally only suited to very experienced pilots and that beginner to intermediate pilots would better help their team by offering more support.

I think that eventually when the bases are sufficiently covered, Cedwic should merge all the ship types into the initial post, consolidating any alternate perspectives, and spoiler-tag them kind of like the records thread does.

Despon

This thread's a great idea.

Despon, your Gunship post is solid, but I feel you've left out a couple things regarding TDM. I'm working on a version of my own, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be stepping on any toes by posting it here. Do you mind if I add my own take on T1 GS?

I was actually thinking exactly the same thing, and I suspect your version will reflect my thoughts as well. I'll wait to see your post.

Ship: Blackbolt/Novadive (T1 Scout)

Key Component: T1 Rocket Pods, T2 Shield to Engine Converter, Targeting Telemetry

Strength: Speed, hits hard

Weakness: Requires line of sight to inflict maximum damage, killing enemies on objectives, fragile

TDM Role:

• Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • Flanker

Dom Role:

• Gunship Hunter
  • Bomber hunter
  • First on satellite to secure objective
  • First on satellite to stall enemy capture and delay until teammates arrive

Responibility: Killing exposed gunships and bombers, especially before they've set up. Utilizing Shield to Engine Converter to outflank the other team and do hit and run attacks.

When to use: Heavy amount of enemy gunships

This is a great idea, since the in-game ship descriptions are a fun read but also hilariously misleading to new pilots.

I have a few thoughts on your take on the T1 Scout. While everything there is fine in isolation, I would probably de-emphasizes certain items for better context in comparison to the other ships.

When you say line of sight do you mean centering your shots? Since every weapon on every ship except the Ion Railgun requires line of sight, it doesn't seem like a weakness to me. On the other hand, the need to center your shots, while also applicable to most weapons, is a big differentiation to the T2 Scout, which is the most similar ship. So perhaps "greater effective weapon range compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a strength, and "higher tracking penalty compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a weakness, but that is a bit long-winded :o

The T1 Scout is generally poor at hunting bombers in Domination (only better than the T3 Scout and T3 Strike), though destroying enemy bombers is a priority in Domination and everyone should try to contribute to that. It may be better to say "assist in bomber hunting" and hopefully that will give the new pilots a more realistic goal. On the other hand, it is moderately effective against Strikes and Scouts. So the T1 Scout is actually the jack of all trades and master of none.

So... uh. This got long. Oops.

Ship: Type 1 Gunship (Quarrel/Mangler)

Key Components: Ion Railgun (T4 left: Area Damage) (T5 Right: Reactor Disruption), Slug Railgun (T3: Ignore Armor), Barrel Roll (at least T2 for reduced cooldown), Burst Laser Cannon, Regeneration Extender, Wingman as a copilot ability. Optional but recommended: Distortion Field as a missile break (with lightweight armor), BLC (T4 left: Ignore Armor).

Strength: Range, ion AOE, capable of one-shotting most enemies with Damage Overcharge

Weakness: Mobility (barrel roll helps with this). Needs support to be most effective and doesn't handle pressure well. One persistent scout can slow you down. Two take you out of the game entirely if they're any good (and they will probably kill you).

TDM Role:

• Focus on targets with low evasion (strikes, bombers, Feedback or Fortress gunships).
  • Clear mines and drones with ion AOE.
  • Pick off enemies with low health.
  • Support teammates: use ion to weaken their targets. This is especially important with enemy gunships; use ion to drain their weapon and engine power.
  • Destroy or distract enemies chasing your team. As above: this is especially important with enemy gunships; use ion to drain their weapon and engine power.
  • With Damage Overcharge: destroy as many targets as possible with slug railgun.
  • If pressured by multiple enemies: keep enemies chasing you for as long as possible (and remember to stay near your team). The longer they spend on you without killing you, the more time your team has to get points.
  • Use ion AOE to affect targets with high evasion by shooting a target near them if possible.

Dom Role:

Many of the same ideas from TDM apply, but your focus should be on objectives, not kills, and staying alive is not as much of a priority. In some cases, it may even be better to die if it gets you free to provide support again.

In general:

• Destroy any enemy hyperspace beacons.
  • Inform your team of what's going on. Since you aren't on a sat you will likely see what's coming first. Call inc if you get the chance.
  • Stay mobile and respond where you can be most helpful.

Attacking:

• Destroy mines and drones on satellites with ion AOE.
  • Use ion AOE to weaken enemies near satellites.
  • Clear turrets when your team attacks a satellite, but leave one to use for ion until your team is on the satellite.
  • Destroy targets on an enemy satellite when you get line of sight.
  • Weaken or destroy any reinforcements before they can get to the satellite. Bombers are a priority.

Defending:

• Destroy enemies before they reach a satellite, especially bombers.
  • Use ion AOE to clear mines if a bomber does reach the satellite.
  • Use ion to soften targets so turrets or teammates can finish them off.
  • If you're the only defender and the satellite is flashing: get on the node with barrel roll and use BLC to defend until your team can get there to back you up. In this situation, focus on staying alive for as long as possible.

Responsibility:

The type one gunship's primary role is support, but this includes getting kills where you can. Dead enemies are enemies that don't threaten your team. Focus on eliminating bombers first, gunships second, and other targets whenever you get the chance. Be flexible, however, and adapt as match conditions change. For example, it may not be worth chasing down a bomber (in TDM at least) if other targets are available.

When to use:

Domination or TDM where the other team has one or more bombers. Matches where there aren't a lot of scouts. Consider playing something different if you find yourself facing a lot of pressure.

Solo Fitness

The T1 Gunship is a solid addition to any team. It is possible to play very aggressively, but this is risky, as you are at a disadvantage if the enemy team focuses on you. It is possible to carry a team with a T1 GS, making this a good choice for a solo player. It should not, however, be your only option.

Group Fitness

The T1 Gunship is a necessary part of any group that intends to play competitively, both in TDM and in Domination. Ion AOE is just too good not to have available to your team.

Notes:

A gunship that stays still is a gunship that is easy to kill. Stay mobile and don't wait for targets to come in range. Be willing to run, but also be willing to defend yourself with BLC when necessary. Strafe and use line of sight when possible.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

That's pretty complete coverage of the T1 there. I took a more narrow view admittedly because I had a bit of an agenda. I've flown with and against a lot of T1 gs pilots lately that for various reasons completely ignore the use of Ion Railgun, which is an enormous mistake. It hurts their teams. Some even use Plasma Railgun instead, which to me is even worse than just using Slug all the time.

I also didn't include reference to DO in mine because it really takes a while before someone gets the sense of when it's smart to go for a DO vs. the risk of exposure, and before they can reliably do something positive with it. You're completely right of course that it's a role of the T1 gs in TDM to slug the daylights out of as many things as possible with DO active. There aren't a whole lot of people I would consider capable of accomplishing that to a significant degree, and those who are able have probably figured that out already.

I don't point this out to be argumentative, just explaining my reasoning and who I targeted my version at.

Despon

I love all the info. Have you guys ever thought of making a wiki page dedicated to GSF, similar to http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

I know gsf.huttspawn.com has some great vids , and I see that stasiepidia finally got a sticky. but maybe having a direct link to a build and strategy might help some.

Edited by davidrodriguezjr

I love all the info. Have you guys ever thought of making a wiki page dedicated to GSF, similar to http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

I know gsf.huttspawn.com has some great vids , and I see that stasiepidia finally got a sticky. but maybe having a direct link to a build and strategy might help some.[/quote

Huttspawn has this covered. Just give us a little time to make sure everything is up to our standards.

I have a few thoughts on your take on the T1 Scout. While everything there is fine in isolation, I would probably de-emphasizes certain items for better context in comparison to the other ships.

When you say line of sight do you mean centering your shots? Since every weapon on every ship except the Ion Railgun requires line of sight, it doesn't seem like a weakness to me. On the other hand, the need to center your shots, while also applicable to most weapons, is a big differentiation to the T2 Scout, which is the most similar ship. So perhaps "greater effective weapon range compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a strength, and "higher tracking penalty compared to T2 Scout with BLC" is a weakness, but that is a bit long-winded :o

The T1 Scout is generally poor at hunting bombers in Domination (only better than the T3 Scout and T3 Strike), though destroying enemy bombers is a priority in Domination and everyone should try to contribute to that. It may be better to say "assist in bomber hunting" and hopefully that will give the new pilots a more realistic goal. On the other hand, it is moderately effective against Strikes and Scouts. So the T1 Scout is actually the jack of all trades and master of none.

The T1 Scout's damage comes from sustained fire at medium range with lasers/pods against the target, unlike the T2 which has large burst damage. This means that it prefers targets that are out in the open. By 'bomber hunter' I actually mean that the pilot has to actively search for incoming bombers and fly out to destroy them before they are able to set up under a satellite and use cover to avoid being shot down. I believe that the T1 should be flying around out in the open and bouncing back and forth between satellites, attacking and destroying targets before they reach the nodes rather than trying to dog fight around them and suffer from the tracking penalties that you refer to.

I should clarify and change the name to 'bomber interceptor' lol.

Thanks to everyone for contributions and encouragement, hopefully we'll be able to have a full list soon that will be available for newer pilots to read and digest. I'll either start a new thread once we're done, or just copy and stick everything up in my first post with credits to those involved.

This is in the works @ gsf.huttspawn.com --- in fact I was just working on art for part of this very guide. Expect it in a week or so.

Guess we all kinda think alike lol, I'm happy to have you take whatever you need off my posts, dunno if you need to ask the others for permission or something.

This is a great idea & I'd encourage you to do it, however, I'm skeptical that unless it gets stickied or is constantly updated then it'll just fall to the way-side behind a wall of "nerf gunship", "bombers are op", "what are RFLs?" posts that swallow up all the space and push the actual really useful & good information back 30+ pages.

There are numerous strategy & tip guides on better bomber play, better gunship play, gunship hunting techniques, how to strip bombers off sats effectively etc etc. Stuff that could actually improve peoples' play. Instead, we got pages of new players constantly demonstrating how that either A) they don't understand the game & B) the information needed is too vague or hard to find. The Stasie guide is a fantastic resource on what ships should take as components and has some beginner elements. As for the how & why aspects they're all 30 pages back.

This in-depth ship-role guide could be another fantastic player resource if the community can keep it relevant

That's pretty complete coverage of the T1 there. I took a more narrow view admittedly because I had a bit of an agenda. I've flown with and against a lot of T1 gs pilots lately that for various reasons completely ignore the use of Ion Railgun, which is an enormous mistake. It hurts their teams. Some even use Plasma Railgun instead, which to me is even worse than just using Slug all the time.

I also didn't include reference to DO in mine because it really takes a while before someone gets the sense of when it's smart to go for a DO vs. the risk of exposure, and before they can reliably do something positive with it. You're completely right of course that it's a role of the T1 gs in TDM to slug the daylights out of as many things as possible with DO active. There aren't a whole lot of people I would consider capable of accomplishing that to a significant degree, and those who are able have probably figured that out already.

I don't point this out to be argumentative, just explaining my reasoning and who I targeted my version at.

Despon

Nah, I understand completely. Most gunship players do underuse ion, and there aren't many things I hate more than seeing someone (on either team!) using plasma instead. And to be clear: I thought your initial post was good. I probably could have just listed a couple of additions rather than writing one of my own, and maybe that's what I should have done.

@Sriia - that was an excellent summary, almost word-for-word what I would've said, down to target priority and taking deaths in doms. We might as well be the same GS pilot*. Well stated.

* maybe that's a knock against you, I don't know. Wasn't intended as such.

Thanks. That's a compliment!

The T1 Scout is generally poor at hunting bombers in Domination (only better than the T3 Scout and T3 Strike)...

Disagreed. It can do huge amounts damage and even land nearly insta-kills if you get lucky with crits. A bomber that's been drained by ion railgun is an easy kill for the T1. I should know, you've killed my Rampart in that scenario many times. A T1 Strike or T2 Strike is certainly less of a threat.

Edited by RickDagles

Disagreed. It can do huge amounts damage and even land nearly insta-kills if you get lucky with crits. A bomber that's been drained by ion railgun is an easy kill for the T1. I should know, you've killed my Rampart in that scenario many times. A T1 Strike or T2 Strike is certainly less of a threat.

I may have got a lucky shot here and there :), but taking a T1 Scout in Domination against Charged Plating Bombers really is an unnecessary handicap. The T2 Scout is practically the same ship with armor piercing.

And it's not just handicapped against Charged Plating Bombers. My 100th match in the NovaDive on the Ebon Hawk was a Domination wargame. I spent the first two minutes circling A harmlessly against Ulurast, who was also in a NovaDive. If either of us was in a Flashfire, A would probably have turned sooner than that. He finally ran away after his teammates captured B and C, I guess because of the no-3-cap rule on TEH. ;)

The role of the T1 Scout as I see it is for flying for fun, for enjoying the light show from the spray-and-pray of the Laser Cannon or Light Laser. In a match, no one will ever say, "Oh no, we don't have a NovaDive on our team. Somebody better switch into one."

I may have got a lucky shot here and there :), but taking a T1 Scout in Domination against Charged Plating Bombers really is an unnecessary handicap. The T2 Scout is practically the same ship with armor piercing.

You do still have the 5750m/6600m range advantage that'll keep you out of seismic/seeker range.

I should also note that flying a T1 scout seems to automatically make people under-estimate you, meaning you do get passed over for 'higher priority targets' which makes hunting much easier.

Ship: Comet Breaker/Dustmaker/K-52 (T2 Gunship)

Key Component: Slug Railgun

Strength: Railgun range and damage; shield strength

Weakness: Lacks evasion; basically a copy of the other gunships with some good components missing

TDM Role: An inferior version of the T1 or T3 Gunship

Dom Role: An inferior version of the T1 or T3 Gunship

Responsibility: Destroy enemies at long range

When to use: Whenever the advantages of the T1 or T3 Gunship are not needed or wanted

Solo Fitness: The T2 Gunship is about 6th or 7th best out of the 12 ships, but it is missing some good components of the T1 and T3 Gunships, without any useful unique ability in return. It is not that bad. Just pointless.

Group Fitness: Same

Ship: Star Guard / Rycer / TZ-24 (T1 Strike Fighter)

Key Components: Heavy Laser; Ion Cannon; Quad Laser; Cluster Missiles

Strength: Shield strength

Weakness: Lacks the Gunships' weapon range, the Scouts' weapon damage and the Bombers' mines and drones

TDM Role: A less effective T2 Scout

Dom Role: A drone Bomber without the drones

Responsibility: Try not to get hit by Ion Railgun, to avoid secondary damage to nearby allied Scouts

When to use: When better ships are not needed or wanted; to fly a different ship for fun or variety

Solo Fitness: Poor

Group Fitness: Poor

Ship: Legion/Warcarrier (T2 Bomber)

Key Component: Railgun Drone (T4 right, Ignore Armour), Repair Drone (T3 right, Refill Ammunition)

Strength: Area denial, provides healing and ammunition

Weakness: No missile breaks, slow, has difficulty dealing with other bombers

TDM Role:

• Support Ship
  • Area Denial
  • Healer

Dom Role:

• Support Ship
  • Minelayer
  • Healer

Responibility: Setting up repair probes in safe areas for other ships to heal up and regenerate ammunition. Providing cover for gunships with railgun/seeker mine screen during Team Death Matches. Sitting on satellites and defending them with railgun/seeker mine screen.

When to use: Always a good pick for either game mode, especially in TDM. A team mate healed up is a point that the enemy doesn't get and in close matches, 1 death can be the difference between a win or a draw (loss). Ammo hungry ships (cluster missile/rocket pod users) will also be able to fight much more effectively for longer periods of time.

Solo Fitness: A Legion/Warcarrier is always welcome on the battlefield as it provides much needed healing and ammo for team mates. Railgun Drones and seeker mines are also very useful for protecting gunships from being flanked by enemy scouts. It can be difficult to secure kills as a support ship, especially if the enemy team has a T1 gunship with aoe ion rail guns constantly shooting your drones and mines down.

Group Fitness: Similar to solo queuing, having a support ship is very useful in controlling the map and keeping your team mates at full health and ammo.

I'm surprised noone has stuck in a guide for the T2 scout yet lol, I remember there being a post about all the different T2 scout builds, maybe we can just link that instead.

@ Linuxizer lol, it really is kind of a struggle to find suitable roles for the T3 gs and strikes. I was reading your posts and was thinking 'put some more effort into them!' then realised 'huh...there really isn't much else.'

Edited by Archonitek

• 3 weeks later...
I was thinking about this thread and I think there's a reason there haven't been any T2 scout guides posted yet. That ship has a handful of different viable builds, and each one has a different role. I can try to write one up for quads/pods, but I don't play it enough to feel like I can write a good guide for it. The same's true of the other potential builds: I understand them, but I am by no means an expert. I'd miss something.