Flashpoint Conversation Affection Gain

I'm trying to max out my companion affection.

I just ran three esseles easy mode with Qyen Fess (sage) and he was near max and was receiving about 271 affection each trip to the easy mode FP (about 20 mins)

I got him maxed out and then switched to Tharan Cedrex. I spent another 20 min trip in Esseles as an experiment (he's only 661 affection out of 10,000) but he didn't get any affection at all (even for the two light side choices that are available in Esseles). I earned zero (0) points of affection for the entire trip (no positive or negative points).

I'm wondering how this works. Is conversation affection gain from flashpoints dependent upon how much affection he has? Like maybe, he will get points if I get him up to tier 3 or 4 with companion gifts first?

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Edited by obi-wan-kaneobi

AFAIK, affection gain from conversation choices is independent of the amount of affection points that your companion current has. As the only companion that you would have at the point of normal leveling progression for Esseles is Qyzen Fess, he is the only one who will receive affection points for the choices made in that flashpoint.

As the above poster said, affection gain by conversation is independent of affection level, however companions only gain affection for quests whose progression is after you get them. so for example if you were to get a companion at alderan and then you went back to an earlier planet to do some quests you missed you wont gain any affection. also when grupped you only gain affection by choices where you win the roll.