An in-depth look at: Force Ghosts

Aurbere

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Exiled Jedi Master Yoda

I'm back with another in-depth thread. This time we shall be discussing Force Ghosts or Force Spirits. Luke Skywalker discusses Force Ghosts in the following recording made shortly after founding the Jedi academy:

"After my father died on the Death Star his body vanished. I brought his armor, and his mechanical remains to Endor to burn them. It seemed like the right thing to do. Maybe the best thing. The idea of burial just felt wrong. I could only imagine what it must have been like for him, trapped within that armor for so many years, and I guess I hoped the flames would somehow liberate him.

As I joined my friends at the victory celebration, apparitionsof Obi-Wan and Yoda appeared before me. Because of my previous encounters with Obi-Wan's spirit at Yavin, Hoth, and Dagobah, I was aware that his spirit could travel across space, so I wasn't surprised to see them so much as I was glad they had endured.

Then a third apparition appeared that I recodnized as my father. I cannot express the joy I felt upon seeing his face, unmasked and smiling.

There are many old stories in which a Jedi becomes one with the Force but it seems phrase could be interpreted as a Jedi euphemism for 'dying,' as the tales seldom indicate that whether a Jedi's corpse actually vanished.

Tionne was able to find numerous records of Jedi that corroborated the fact that I was not the first to witness a Jedi's transition to spiritual form. Two accounts were reported by Jedi Nomi Sunrider, who saw the spirit of her husband, the Jedi Knight Andur Sunrider, moments after he was slain by an underworld gang. Years later, she saw the physical of the mortally wounded Ulic Qel-Droma- like my father, a former Jedi and reformed Sith Lord- disappear on the planet Rhen Var after he'd redeemed himself to the Jedi, yet there is no mention that he reappeared in spiritual form.

Evidently, the ancient Jedi did not regard such spirits as remarkable or accidental occurences, which suggests that they may have been awareof how to survive death, but it seems this knowledge became lost or forgotten, possibly more than three thousand years ago. Although some texts indicate that only Jedi Masters could achieve this transition, exceptions such as Jedi Knights Andur Sunrider and Anakin Skywalker indicate that a Force-user's title is not significant. For now, I can only assume that the survival of a Jedi's consciousness beyond death may have something to do with training, as well as with the will of the Force, or with the individual's openness to the Force."

Despite their power, even the most powerful of Jedi eventually die. The teachings of the Jedi say that death is a natural part of life, thus many Jedi openly accept death. However, there are some Jedi who are capable of preserving their identities after their physical death, and returning back from the Netherworld of the Force.

The capabilities of Force Ghosts vary from being simple voices to manifesting themselves as luminous blue apparitions.

This transition is only temporary. A Jedi will eventually have to return to the Netherworld of the Force, finally embracing the totality of the Force, however certain Jedi spirits endure for several millenia.

The ability to survive after death is not restricted to the Jedi. Several Sith Lords, including Darth Sidious and Exar Kun, were capable of preserving their own spirits after death. It is well documented that Darth Sidious was able to transition his spirit between clone bodies, and use his Dark power to cause havoc across the galaxy. However, the spirit of Exar Kun was unable to cause greater damage to the Jedi, despite his power. Corran Horn discusses why this is in the following theory:

"The only vaguely positive explanation for Exar Kun's dormancy that I could come up with was that his effort to draw the Sun Crusher from Yavin and to down Luke Skywalker had tired him out. I had no way to determine how powerful Exar Kun could be, but it struck me as possible that he'd expended a lot of energy to defeat a Jedi Master."

Unlike many Sith spirits, who are driven eventually insane by solitude, memories, or dark side madness, Exar Kun was able to preserve his own spirit for several millenia while remaining sane.

Many Sith fear death and attempt to seek ways to avoid death. This leads many of them to seek ways to defy their own mortality. Most Sith pursue the preservation of their spirit for the use of Essence Trasfer, while a certain Sith Lord opted for physical immortality.

Often times, there are Sith who fail to achieve the same transcendence that Exar Kun achieved. These Sith would only live on in the small trace that was left within their Sith Holocrons.

Jedi and Sith are not the only groups capable of this transition. The masters of the Baran Do Sages were capable of this, a shaman of the Whills taught Qui-Gon Jinn this ability, and the Ysanna preserved the knowledge of this ability on Ossus.

Requested by darthnamel

Like the theme, but I found yet another contradiction on this subject posted below:

Some powerful Jedi in Old republic can become spirits by their wisdom:

Orgus Din

In the movies appearently this is not the case, as they need to be "taught"

-QuiGon to Yoda

But also in the movies Vader becomes a force ghost just as Old republic era jedi did, by just becoming one.

So here its the contradiction is it a skill or is it a milestone(powerlvl, wisdom, knowledge of the force)

Also in the darkside its even more different:

All acient Sith lords apparently became force ghost those who took their mantle from Sith Lords like Naga Sadow.

While the "true sith" apparently are actively looking for immortality, even though they surpass some ancient sith lords like Viatiate.

Like the theme, but I found yet another contradiction on this subject posted below:

Some powerful Jedi in Old republic can become spirits by their wisdom:

Orgus Din

In the movies appearently this is not the case, as they need to be "taught"

-QuiGon to Yoda

But also in the movies Vader becomes a force ghost just as Old republic era jedi did, by just becoming one.

So here its the contradiction is it a skill or is it a milestone(powerlvl, wisdom, knowledge of the force)

Also in the darkside its even more different:

All acient Sith lords apparently became force ghost those who took their mantle from Sith Lords like Naga Sadow.

While the "true sith" apparently are actively looking for immortality, even though they surpass some ancient sith lords like Viatiate.

The cause of the transition is relatively unknown. It can be a taught technique (like Qui-Gon and the Whills), or it can be caused by the will of the Force.

Always enjoy reading your threads Aurbere. They are always very insightful, and I feel I am learning something new every time.

Keep them coming!

I am glad you are enjoying them, and that you are learning something.

Interesting look at force ghosts. Keep on keepin on buddy!

I think Force Ghosts are kind of cool. One of my best memories of my first time watching the Star Wars movies is when Obi-Wan appears to Luke on Dagobah. I really like the mysticism of Force Ghosts.