What's the best character class for tanking?

TheDisgracedOne

I'm new to TOR (but not to MMOs) and I was wondering what class would be the best option for tanking. The two classes I've been looking the most into are the Bounty Hunter Powertech and the Sith Warrior Juggernaut. Are these good choices? Are they fun to play? Difficult to play? Just curious to see some opinions about this :) and was hoping some veterans could to help me out. Thanks. Edited by TheDisgracedOne
I think it looks nicer editied.

I play as a Jedi guardian tank which is basically the same as a juggeranaut tank and its pretty fun and easy to tank with, i have recently started a Shadow tank and its a lot of fun as well and a pretty good tank too.

As far as I've read, different tank classes shine at different encounters and different gear levels. Also, those things may change with future patches, as you certainly are aware. I've never heard a raid say "Well, Assassintank01, we had a great run, but Juggernaut02 over there's just WAY better suited to do the job, get lost.". Doesn't mean it never happened. But seemingly, it either happens very rarely, very silently or both.

So I guess you'd be safest to just pick whatever class interests you most. Whether it's fun or difficult to play almost entirely depends upon that.

Edited by tacito

Ive got a powertech tank. and a shadow tank. i MUCH prefer the play style of the powertech. Jetpack charge, with 2 free AoEs and also a pull which the shadow has.

my only problem is purely aesthetic in that i dont like having 1 pistol, so really would of preferred having a vanguard, but i already had a 50 commando by this time.

Ive started playing a guardian and as long as you hybridize the all-defense skill tree you should have a pretty easy time. You should use AOE on the adds and keep the main boss focused on you with taunt. Always keep bosses pointed at you and away from other party members. After that you are on your own dude. Some fp's have run arounds and hides that you need to learn also. Remember the tank leads the crew too...

Ive started playing a guardian and as long as you hybridize the all-defense skill tree you should have a pretty easy time. You should use AOE on the adds and keep the main boss focused on you with taunt. Always keep bosses pointed at you and away from other party members. After that you are on your own dude. Some fp's have run arounds and hides that you need to learn also. Remember the tank leads the crew too...

All 3 tank classes are more than viable for tanking. I'd say assassin tanking has the most room for error, but the priority/rotation is quite easy to manage. Here is a list of the strengths and weaknesses for each class:

Strengths:

Assassin: Aoe Tanking, Defensive Cooldowns, Self-Healing, Positioning, Threat Generation, Debuffs

Powertech: Passive Mitigation, Resource Management, Aoe Tanking, Threat Generation

Jugg: Passive Mitigation++, Debuffs, Defensive Cooldowns,

Weaknesses:

Assassin: Passive Mitigation, single-target tanking with cc'd targets

Powertech: Defensive Cooldowns, Debuffs

Jugg: Threat Generation, Self- Healing, Aoe Tanking