Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP you are absolutely right.

Now ill go unsub and perhaps ill return in a couple of months, but I doubt it.

GW 2 here I come.

I had no interest in another fantasy MMO but I have to agree that Guild Wars 2 seems to do things right.

Edited by Dreossk

so again ppl talkin rubish an QQ about the game, did u ever read any otther posts on all these subjects? i thk not...day an night cycle, u do realise that the only planet that has 24hour cycle is earth? which would giv u a day an night in RT? lol

Tythus, please stop talking out of your rear end.

Earth does NOT have a 24 hour day/night cycle. Hours are a base 60 formula created by an ancient tribe (mayan or aztec if memory serves) that was adopted by the romans, and thus has become the foundation of modern society. It is NOT a scientific method of measurement, which is why genuine scientists, when preparing reports and making notes will list the amount in seconds, a standardised metric unit of measuring time.

I am in full support of what the OP says. This game is BEHIND in what almost every other good mmo is doing, in virtually every way.

Please, do NOT mention world of warcraft as a good game. Popular =/= good. Proof? Smoking. Bad. Really bad. Really popular.

The PVP system, while slightly innovative with the huttball minigame, is still subpar compared to even the likes of WoW.

The guild/craft/immersion/living world is far behind SWG, which is still alive on private servers, by the way.

Using WoW as a base for combat mechanics was a decent idea, because the mechanics system is well established, as are the formulas.

The dialogue system is behind the times when compared to the likes of Dragon age, Mass Effect 1/2/3, but better then most other mmos. The lack of option to change own appearance, if at least tattoos, hair, and make up is annoying. Sure, it is VERY trivial, but it is also VERY simple to implement.

The game needed more programming time. People need to realise that there is NO reason for this game to be as behind as it is. Not dev time, nothing. They have been working on it for 6 years, and an article that the client promoted last month/early this month said, basically: 6 years dev time, 200 million dollar price tag, 600 developers.

I doubt the last part, was probably a typo and they meant 60. This number did include writers, by the way.

The removal of same sex flirts and marriages was also a pathetic decision. Simply make it an option in game menu to either enable or disable same sex, for those backwards religious people that can not tolerate the idea even though it is a very natural occurance, with over 1200 documented subsentient species and 3 sentient species having same sex relations (3 sentient? Human, other primates, dolphins and their kin)

The game has A LOT of potential, but it does feel like they didnt actually try. They took WoW, cloned it, created some new fancy art and occassionally well written stories, and thats it. No actual trying to push the envelope. No giving next gen high res graphical options for those who could handle it (the art features already exist. That is how they make low res look better. By using the normal maps of extreme high res stuff)

I, for one, will not be sticking around if, come march when they supposedly release the next major content pack, the game is not improved. I have 60 days free, 1 month is down. Lets hope

I was stupid, and supported a company that promised lots, like Cryptic, for 2 years. I will not do it with bioware.

I am probably the biggest bioware fan boy you will meet, but let's face it. The bioware management does not have the balls to make a truely amazing mmo.

Great ideas. I agree that any MMO coming out in 2011 should have included more of these features. I couldn't believe how limited the character customization was, but maybe that's because I was spoiled by Champions. Still, only 4 body types? Really?

Most of the things in your list have been implemented previously in other games so they should have been included with SWTOR. Why go backwards when releasing a new game in 2011? Even minecraft has day and night. Sheesh.

Tythus, please stop talking out of your rear end.

Earth does NOT have a 24 hour day/night cycle. Hours are a base 60 formula created by an ancient tribe (mayan or aztec if memory serves) that was adopted by the romans, and thus has become the foundation of modern society. It is NOT a scientific method of measurement, which is why genuine scientists, when preparing reports and making notes will list the amount in seconds, a standardised metric unit of measuring time.

Let's learn our history. The Roman Empire fell over 410-476 AD when the Germanic tribes invaded and sacked Rome multiple times. Erik the Red and Mormons aside, there was no contact between the broken Roman Empire and the New World civilizations (Mayas and Aztecs) for another 1000 years. Further, the Mayans had been gone as a civilization for 550 years by the time the Spanish came in 1512. You're close in that the Aztecs did have a more advanced calendar than the Spanish, but that was little help against the conquistadors.

You're thinking of the Babylonian civilization of the middle east. They had a base 6 number system, from which we derive our 60 seconds, minutes, and 360 degree circles.

The 'base' unit of time in scientific measurement is the second. However, minutes and hours are both defined absolutely as a set number of seconds. So yes, scientists (of which I am one) do use minutes and hours as standardized measurements.

Remember, all of this is absolutely essential when discussing imaginary galaxies of the distant past.

I agree with the idea here; right now as a first step I'd love to see more customization in the game. I was -EXTREMELY- disappointed by the races. The only option I see available for me as a Jedi was a human, and as a Sith a Ratataki. I'm proud of how I've made them look, but honestly, there are so many possibilities.

> Ithorian Jedi Consular/Smuggler - arguably Bounty Hunter

> Kel'Dor Jedi Knight/Consular/Trooper

> Rodian Jedi Knight/Smuggler/Bounty Hunter

> Wookiee Jedi Knight/Smuggler/Trooper

> Trandoshan Bounty Hunter/Trooper

I mean, there are a lot more, and some of my suggestions may be off (I have never played an agent, trooper or BH, and am new to the game), but some are very possible. I loved my Ithorian Jedi in SWG, and my Ithorian Bounty Hunter. I'm not saying to follow some specific list like this, but what I am saying is that when there are so many possibilities in the Star Wars universe, dozens of aliens that I have not named and dozens more I haven't heard of, it is foolish to release such a big game like this with only a few races.

What's more foolish on top of that is that they've already made models of MANY races that we could be. In their cinematic we saw Kel'Dor and Rodians, and why they at least didn't come out with launch is beyond me. Though, I can anticipate more races in the near future easily; unless that's just dead hope typing for me.

But another thing that irks me is no appearance tab, no dyes, no outfits (or very few) and no real customization for your character. I mean, this is a new MMO, it should have things like this, especially because it's Star Wars. LOTRO featured a huge world similarly, and because of its wide variety of customization including not only character but housing, it drew me in solely for the welcoming RP environment.

Coming on here and playing for a while, I love it. I love the gameplay, I love how much it draws me in (though I've only hit 20 twice and 12 on my third, experimenting) but I could see almost instantly that it would grow boring quickly. I'm not bored yet, but I can see it. I find myself speeding along side quests hoping to return to the main quest, because the side quests are often fairly boring in comparison.

I sense it does have potential, and those who say it doesn't need to think over it; it's a great game, great start, and it could have many years ahead of it. But it was nothing near what I had hoped for in many respects. I feel very unwelcome as somebody who enjoys to see RP and sometimes partake if the mood strikes, and am dreading the thought that if I ever get back into that, I will need to save an outfit, because quite frankly the end game gear looks simply horrid. That meaning the majority of level 50 PVP sets I've seen. I'm also somebody who loves decoration, loves to customize, and has gone on and off LOTRO simply for their welcoming environment.

To wrap this up, Bioware is going to have to step up their game. They need to not only add the things I've mentioned, but the things many of the community has mentioned, chiefly regarding the complaints of the OP. I haven't made it far, and many things that he's said I couldn't say I've seen, but from the sound of it, if they don't step up their game, Guild Wars 2 will rip their population apart. SWTOR has already lost its chance of being WoW's competitor and the next crowning MMO, but it still has the potential to stay on my computer for a long, long time if Bioware tries hard enough.

This might have all been said but ill state it myself anyway.

1. Long load times between planets, tab out of the game and re-entry load times.

2. Spaceports should be removed annoying waste of time places that do just that, waste time

3. Class balancing is a nightmare. I as a gunslinger am stunned and dead in 4 seconds vs a sith. Bounty hunters do massive dmg as well and hard has heck to kill.

4. races for the good guys are boring.

5. times for quick travel and Fleet pass need to be reduced by at least 25% and I would reccomend closer to 40%.

6. Datacrons- most require you to have Mario brothers type movement to reach yet this game is absolutely terrible with jumping/movement. Half the places they make you go cause you to get stuck also.

7. Soft wall you cannot pass. Warning you need to go back. meanwhile I have already taken 10% dmg before I can even respond and then to make it worse it knocks you off your speeder to make sure your going to take even more then neccessary. How about an invisable hard wall you cannot pass. They existed in the First everquest back in 1990's.

8. Smugglers, supper squishy, and coverscreen is anoying. To many boss fights where you need to move around to bother. SOA for example you have to watch the boss, the watch balls of lighting, watch the traps, most of the fight I cant do the dmg i need because im not in cover.

9. Legacy name, I picked a dumb name whoops. Need an option to change your legacy name. In addition why is that x and Y both cannot have the same legacy name. Its hard enough to get a good first name in this game because they are all taken but the limitations on the legacy name need to be eased.

Real world example. How many people have the last name Jones? a lot right and im sure you can think of several people with that last name that are famous and not related. That is 2 unrelated legacy with the same legacy name essentially.

10. Land speeders, speed. Why is it i get on a crap looking land speeder aka Taxi speeder and its faster then my level 50 speeder that i paid for? Level 50 speeder should be at least 150% maybe faster.

I had no interest in another fantasy MMO but I have to agree that Guild Wars 2 seems to do things right.

If by "right" you mean 99% pvp and every class does the same dps just with different animations. Oh and the "massive" world is just you with 30ish people in an instance.

Things I would like,

1, Do away with the gear in PvP so it becomes skill based

2, Ilum is lacking and needs to be redone

3, Planets are dead

4, Make the planets a social hub and not the fleet

5, Player housing would be great

6, Make space open and let me be able to make my ships

7, operations for the lower lvl's

8, Give max lvl's something to do.

Edited by pogmahone

There are some improvments in interface, that are strongly recommended to add:

1. It's ridiculous, that I can't add a person in friend list if he's offline. You have to have an ability add whoever you want on your server from your fraction at any moment of the gameplay. Example is: Here I'm chatting with a player, I can add him. Suddenly he got disconnected and he doesn't EXIST anymore. Oh, no, well, look, he's back, he exists again...

2. Search via GTMarket. I think it just should have an ability, f.e. on pressing shift-right_click to putting a name of the item right into the search box without choosing the category first. Or just writing down the name of the item and pressing search, again, without choosing a category.

Things I would like,

1, Do away with the gear in PvP so it becomes skill based

2, Ilum is lacking and needs to be redone

3, Planets are dead

4, Make the planets a social hub and not the fleet

5, Player housing would be great

6, Make space open and let me be able to make my ships

7, operations for the lower lvl's

8, Give max lvl's something to do.

2. Because people in full tier PvE gear 2 shotting people takes skill, right?

This might have all been said but ill state it myself anyway.

1. Long load times between planets, tab out of the game and re-entry load times.

2. Spaceports should be removed annoying waste of time places that do just that, waste time

3. Class balancing is a nightmare. I as a gunslinger am stunned and dead in 4 seconds vs a sith. Bounty hunters do massive dmg as well and hard has heck to kill.

4. races for the good guys are boring.

5. times for quick travel and Fleet pass need to be reduced by at least 25% and I would reccomend closer to 40%.

6. Datacrons- most require you to have Mario brothers type movement to reach yet this game is absolutely terrible with jumping/movement. Half the places they make you go cause you to get stuck also.

7. Soft wall you cannot pass. Warning you need to go back. meanwhile I have already taken 10% dmg before I can even respond and then to make it worse it knocks you off your speeder to make sure your going to take even more then neccessary. How about an invisable hard wall you cannot pass. They existed in the First everquest back in 1990's.

8. Smugglers, supper squishy, and coverscreen is anoying. To many boss fights where you need to move around to bother. SOA for example you have to watch the boss, the watch balls of lighting, watch the traps, most of the fight I cant do the dmg i need because im not in cover.

9. Legacy name, I picked a dumb name whoops. Need an option to change your legacy name. In addition why is that x and Y both cannot have the same legacy name. Its hard enough to get a good first name in this game because they are all taken but the limitations on the legacy name need to be eased.

Real world example. How many people have the last name Jones? a lot right and im sure you can think of several people with that last name that are famous and not related. That is 2 unrelated legacy with the same legacy name essentially.

10. Land speeders, speed. Why is it i get on a crap looking land speeder aka Taxi speeder and its faster then my level 50 speeder that i paid for? Level 50 speeder should be at least 150% maybe faster.

I really think you should keep up with current information and upcoming patch notes before responding.

I don't have time to read 50 pages and all the notes I have a real life outside of the game.

More stuff.

1. Repair costs from raiding is to high.

2. Its bad enough that I get rakata gear and want to put new mods in it but the cost to remove elite mods are to high as well.

2. Because people in full tier PvE gear 2 shotting people takes skill, right?

As I look at just a few pages I notice you are a critic of everyone that posts here. That would be trolling. I am sure its against the rules, maybe you should read them before posting?

Now that is Ironic.

If by "right" you mean 99% pvp and every class does the same dps just with different animations. Oh and the "massive" world is just you with 30ish people in an instance.

Haha, you seem very mad about GW2. You should probably do some research on the game before claiming random things like this :)

The game isn't instanced and it isn't "99% pvp" They have a huge focus on PVP and a huge focus on PVE, dynamic events and massive chains to unlock world bosses doesn't sound like a PVP feature to me.

If Star Wars would have done what GW2 is doing, it could have been the best MMO ever.

Haha, you seem very mad about GW2. You should probably do some research on the game before claiming random things like this :)

The game isn't instanced and it isn't "99% pvp" They have a huge focus on PVP and a huge focus on PVE, dynamic events and massive chains to unlock world bosses doesn't sound like a PVP feature to me.

If Star Wars would have done what GW2 is doing, it could have been the best MMO ever.

If you just missed the 1.2 reveal, you've missed out..........this game is about to get insane.

If you just missed the 1.2 reveal, you've missed out..........this game is about to get insane.

I love this game already, I plan to play SWTOR even after GW2 comes out.

btw, what is the 1.2 reveal??

Edited by KhealThar

It's probably not going to be a shocker for some, but I completely agree with the OP.

Sadly, it seems that the devs either don't have the time or the inclination to address a lot of what the OP highlighted.

Edited by Tarka