Button Basher? what am i missing??

oOParaOo

I am struggling to get into this game, maybe i am too noobish, but it feels like a button basher.

How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me?

And why does nobody ever respond on chat or want to join up?

:mad:

It is a case of kill or be killed, but as you level each class gains skills that should allow you to survive longer.

As for chat, it could be you are on a quiet server, or people are already grouped up, have completed quests etc. Or they night not be the sociable sort.

:)

I am struggling to get into this game, maybe i am too noobish, but it feels like a button basher.

How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me?

Why does nobody respond to chat or want to join up?

Could be your server, could be they have added you to their Ignore list, or they could all be off doing their own thing.

Defence and dodging happens automatically on a chance-basis, although there are things you can do. Generally the abilities you use in a fight will have specific situations where they should be used - if you see an attack building (just above the target display in your UI, you will see a small progress bar appearing occasionally, with the name of the ability your target is preparing), and if you have a stun or interrupt ability and you know that the attack that is being prepared, then you can use that stun or interrupt to stop that attack.

The attack will then be unavailable to the enemy for a set period of time, and the stun/interrupt will be unavailable to you for a set period of time.

Also, other abilities you have will typically make the enemy more vulnerable to attack or set up the enemy to be affected by another one of your attacks.

Knowing the "best" order in which to activate your abilities (also called your rotation) and when to break that order to deal with a specific problem is part of learning to play the class you are playing.

"Hitting 1, 2, 3" is one way to look at it, but blindly following a sequence without knowing what the individual abilities do is not the way to go :)

Look at the text description of your abilities. See what each of them do and how much of your available "ability use" pool they will take, and it should be fairly clear roughly what order you need to do things in. From there, adjust your rotation and see what works best.

Oh, no...

In fact you should just bash buttons completely randomly without ever getting to know what each of your abilities do and what effect they have.

Also you should not cc, stun, interupt or even learn what these are.

Also when an enemy casts some kind of area of effect damage attack, you should not move out of it, but instead just stand in it and suffer the full damage.

Not to mention, instead of wearing correct gear for your class, you should wear gear with completely useless stats for your class. Same for companions of course.

Oh, and almost forgot, you should not pay any attention to what you spend skillpoints on, but just place them completely randomly without even reading the tooltips of those skills.

You have innate defensive abilities, albeit some classes have more than others...specifically Tanks, but we sacrifice DPS for Survivability...This game is a button basher, but ALL mmo's are button bashers when it comes to combat...otherwise where would be the fun in the game? I knew people back in WoW that had an entire attack rotation macro'd to one button, so all they had to do was spam 1 single button and get moderate to great dps.

If you're worried about survival pick up Bioanalysis and BioChem. You can make your own medpacs and once you've done it enough and reverse engineered them you can make a non-consumable medpac. That'll help you stay alive and raise your crafting skill. Also just about every class gets a tank of some sort for there first or second companion. By those rules alone you shouldn't be having any problems whatsoever staying alive. Regular mobs die in a heartbeat, silvers die a few seconds later, and golds take a little bit but still should have you under less than 50% health by the time they fall on their face. Maybe you just arent prioritizing first, I've found alot of the players that came from WoW dont understand the "Power in numbers" concept. By which I mean dont worry about killing the strongest mob first EVER, kill all the weak mobs then move to the strongest ones last. The less damage coming in the more chance you'll survive.

Disregard the sarcasm above, it wasn't even witty. But seriously enjoy the game for the questing for now, get tired of questing go do some space missions when you get your ship at the end of your second world. Dont find any fun in that? Dismiss your companion and send him on Missions for crafting and you go into your last planet or next planet and farm mats for crafting.

Read your abilities, learn what they do. Goto http://www.sithwarrior.com if you really want to do some research, also if you are new like I assume you are. Dont just pick a class because you think it looks cool, take some time with it. Play all the classes to Lv15 and get a good feel for the AC's. Make 4 characters and decide what you might like to try, I say 15 because by 15 you can go into your first FP and really get some action. Play a tank, play a healer, play a ranged and melee dps. Just give it all a shot until you find something you like. Yeah button bashing gets old, but look, go find me one console game that isnt repetitive button bashing. Then sir, you will have won the day.

Defending yourself actively is a good part of the game. Yes, the game is based around % chance based on your statistics, but you get abilities that can change these numbers drastically for the short time to change the dynamics of a fight. There are stuns, mezz's, knockdowns, roots/snares that will stop an enemy from attacking for a time, slow them down/root them in place so they cannot run away/kite you, or close distance with you. There are enemies that will make it necessary to use your interrupt ability, to stop large damage attacks on your party, or yourself.

I think once you get into 15+ group content, or at the very least level further into your story content, you will see more things that demand more from you then 1-2-3.

Edited by DanTheSentinel

Definitely not a button masher--that'll get you killed~!

But perhaps a different sort of game than you were expecting.

Fighting in this game does not involve first-person-shooter style action of running around, making a few highly accurate shots, nor does it involve fighter-game style action where you exacute punch/kick combos and counters.

In this game, you play mostly with your head, practice the theory, and see the results unfold.

You consider your characters resources (energy bar, force meter, etc), your abilities--which use resources, and your stats. You think about how to basically use your resources effectively in terms of how many skills you can use, what order, what their cooldowns are... You try to create rotations of moves for yourself that take maximal advantage of your skills and resources. And you keep an eye on your stats, which affect the effectiveness of the skills.

Ideally, you work out several ideas for situations--you figure out what you're going to do if you need to bang out a bunch of damage, or stay back and defend yourself, or heal...etc. And then, you try to execute your plans in real time, against enemies!

Defending yourself actively is a good part of the game. Yes, the game is based around % chance based on your statistics, but you get abilities that can change these numbers drastically for the short time to change the dynamics of a fight. There are stuns, mezz's, knockdowns, roots/snares that will stop an enemy from attacking for a time, slow them down/root them in place so they cannot run away/kite you, or close distance with you. There are enemies that will make it necessary to use your interrupt ability, to stop large damage attacks on your party, or yourself.

I think once you get into 15+ group content, or at the very least level further into your story content, you will see more things that demand more from you then 1-2-3.

Well said, playing a Shadow right now only at level 21. I already have at least 20 abilities and use at least 6 of them for basic combat. 1 Interrupt, 1 Stun, 1 One Minute CC, this isnt even including the defensive or offensive abilities. There are plenty of things to do, but yes, you can get by just spamming the first 2 attacks you learned in single player quest mode. Hell you can pull it off in most of the FP's if you're group is decent enough since no one can tell what you're actually doing without recount right now...

If you want to get into the game you will, personally I think its refreshing that theres no Auto Attack. It keeps you on your toes, so you know if you dont press something you wont attack.

"How do i defend my self or dodge attacks? do i just stand there, pressing 123 hoping they die before i run out of health? can somebody explain it too me? "

It has been often said that the best defense is a good offense, meaning... it's better to take the fight to the enemy than sit there and hope you can block or defend yourself. This is pretty much a universal truth because anyone fighting off the back of their heels will usually die first and often.

If you need specific help, you have to give more information such as: What class are you playing? (we cannot guess really)

What is your playstyle? Ranged? Melee? Are you a proactive player or reactive player?

Example: Sins are excellent offensive "defenders", because they stun the crap out of people attacking them, especially ranged who have skills that can take almost 3 secs to launch. Also many of those skills require them to be standing still and hope for the melee player to not move out of the 'circle of death'. A good rule of thumb is (like ANY mmo) if you see a circle of any type on the ground.. move.

Attacking keeps people off-balance which gives you the upper hand. Try varying tactics (attack with a stun first one time, then attack with a large dps attack the next, a dot the next) for optimal defensive help.

It's very tough for most players to give a spirited attack when they are trying to keep themselves from getting hurt at the same time.

Edited by Shrikestalker

Ok but really...have you made it off Korriban yet and chosen a advanced class? Either Juggernaut or Marauder? Do you have a companion??? Should be a Twilek or a Manbearpig beastie. Are you attacking a mob with a gold star in its portrait? Silver? None? If you havent made it off of Korriban yet stay away from the Gold stars until your a few levels above them. Unless you have a companion then you're fine. Use your companion to take if they can...

i finally get another player to team up. he fight a boss he dies.. then boom 10 seconds later i get transported to start of level again, ***? then we fight again, and i die with a 9 min respawn? this game is becoming frustrating.

It sounds like you are trying to tackle a boss enemy that is too high level for you. Target it, but stay out of range - about 40 metres away should be ok. Look at the level of the enemy, and whether it it listed as Strong, Elite, Champion, World Boss, etc.

If it is Strong or Elite, then as long as you and your team mate are at the same level as the enemy, you should be able to beat it.

Oh, no...

In fact you should just bash buttons completely randomly without ever getting to know what each of your abilities do and what effect they have.

Also you should not cc, stun, interupt or even learn what these are.

Also when an enemy casts some kind of area of effect damage attack, you should not move out of it, but instead just stand in it and suffer the full damage.

Not to mention, instead of wearing correct gear for your class, you should wear gear with completely useless stats for your class. Same for companions of course.

Oh, and almost forgot, you should not pay any attention to what you spend skillpoints on, but just place them completely randomly without even reading the tooltips of those skills.

Congrats! You've achieved Jerk, Level 50!

Sounds like someone who hasn't played MMOs before, and is use to single player games where you have to engage in combat more realistically (dodging and attacking). I've always thought MMOs were a bit stupid, and counter intuitive in that you have to both stand there hitting each other in the face with swords for 5 minutes until one of you dies. But, eventually you get use to it and see it more as a strategy for attack than a realistic depiction of a battle. It would be nice to see an MMO that at least makes an attempt to have realistic combat, instead of the same formula rehashed again and again. In the end, it is about mashing buttons, but it's just figuring out a strategy for what buttons to mash when.

/thread

Oh Lord...

Really, the game isn't THAT complicated. It's not... Sudoku, or Chess. Besides, everything you NEED to know is written in them game's manual, these a guide for newcomers on the forums and ingame you get toturial messages that should help you out.

But nooo... searching is too hard, isn't it?

You must be Canadian or something.

Really, the game isn't THAT complicated. It's not... Sudoku, or Chess.

But it's also not a normal single player game, where your position/dexterity/accuracy have a huge effect on combat. For those of us used to MMOs we've grown used to the fact that combat is a strategic affair rather than pure reflexes and coordination.

Yes searching, or in fact reading the in game information, would have provided some of these answers BUT this is the new player forum and there are a lot of well, being polite, basic questions. If they bother you too much you should leave and hang around in the more mature, intelligent and hostile forums :p

And leave Canadians oot of it eh?

Edited by shama

Defense in this is handled like a paper and pencil RPG 99% of the time: there is a static number the attacker has to "roll" higher than to beat, and some things that you do can improve that number. LOS works against ranged attacks, but mostly yes you pretty much just sit there, especially in PvE. In PvP maneuvering is much more important, but the mechanism remains the same.

Nobody is responding because there are not a lot of new players in the game. Most of us have made it to 50 already and what you're hoping to get a group together for is something we've either already completed or don't have any interest in doing now.

Edit: And ignore posters like MasterHan who complain when people ask legitimate questions. You're new, and there's nothing wrong with seeking information, especially in the New Player forum.

Edited by RobNightfall

There are some button mashing involve which are your attacks or rotation (well... sequence button mashing) once you get a feel for your class, you would know which button to mash.

Basic attack - you can always button mash this one (default is 1)

now the problem with button mashing others it ALL depends what you are playing.

1st bar = health.

2nd bar = resources.

Resource: there are Force, Heat, Rage, and Energy.

Force and Energy = you have a limited amount of "power" each power OTHER than basic attack takes up a certain amount of resource. If you run out, you can't use your power anymore until you "regen"

Force Regen is constant which is 8 force per "tick"

Energy Regen depends on how much energy you have at the time. The less you have, the slower the regen.

Rage - certain ability BUILD rage (like basic attack) and some ability USE rage. The idea is build rage as much as you can and use the cool abilities that does more damage which use up rage.

Heat - most ability generate heat. Heat auto dissipate over time depending on HOW much heat you have (lower the better) basic attack do not generate heat.

Now....... the complicated stuff.

basic defense is automatic. If you see your character block blaster or "dodge" out of the way. That is done automatically.

What CAN you dodge manually?

AoE attacks. You will notice something that is glowing on the ground or effect (like explosion or "earth quake" you can move out of the way and take no damage

When there is a "casting bar" on the enemy, you can use your interrupt ability. There is a specific ability that will actually interrupt (4 seconds) and there are other skill which CAN be use to interrupt (like stun, knock backs, CC) BUT some bosses (gold star) have innate ability that they are immune to incapacitation so stun attacks or Whirlwind won't work on them (which also interrupts) or overload (which is a knock back ability)

What button to mash?

Once you learn your skill, you will know which sequence to "mash" your button. example you would only use Consume (SI ability) when you have crit on your invinerate. That way you won't take a hit on HP and "negative" force regen.

I hope that helps.

I will try and get into it a bit more. Currently I am enjoying the story more that the combat which at the moment is utterly meh....

I felt the same with uncharted, wish somebody could meet a load of noobs, on a dedicated noob server and give people a real ingame experience of what is what and a guide. There should be better ingame tutorials to help us people who have never played a mmo, Bioware have our money and want more, well so do we.

cheers for the advice.

Well this is atleast two very different questions. And neither really has a short answer. I could go into a loong explenation of passiv and active defence or the optimal attack chain and the use of passiv terrain as an offensiv and defensiv tool, but ill try and keep it short and usefull.

1: How do i defend my self or dodge attacks?

There is no block option and your chance to dodge is based on your stats. The best way to defend yourself is to use abilities that prevent the enemy from doing damage to you. At the lower levels you get new skills every level so its important to visit your class trainer often.

The best way to stay alive tough is picking your fights. Another way is to always keep a level ahead. As long as you stay a level or two above the mobs you are fighting things should be a tad easier.

2: And why does nobody ever respond on chat or want to join up?

well short answer is this isnt a very social game. The way the game is buildt is partily to blame for this. The chat channels are zone spesific. The leveling structure doesnt reward group play adequatly to surpass solo XP for the first 40 levels atleast. And offcourse the quest system is designed to make it fun and easy to play alone. And offcourse not alot of ppl play the game.

Meh - looks like a mod didn't like my post defending Eternalnight. Can't think that there was anything particularly controversial in there, apart from maybe a bit of sarcasm, and that in fact it had a lot of useful information about different kinds of abilities.

Weird.

The dig at Canadians from someone else stayed though, so I guess the mod in question isn't a Canadian.

Combat isn't so tough once you figure a few things out. My apologies if some of this has been covered as I didn't read every post.

My personal tips:

(1) Learn how hard things are to kill. All mobs have a tag on them if you hover your mouse over them that tells you how tough they are. They generally go in this order: Weak > Normal > Strong > Elite > Champion > ???.

Weak and normal mobs tend to gather in packs of 3 to 5. Attacking one will bring the whole pack, but they are easier to kill.

Strong mobs tend to be found by themselves but can come in groups with other mobs (weak/normal). The typical group is 1 strong, 1 normal or maybe 1 strong and 2 weak. I have seen packs of 2 strong mobs but those are kind of rare.

Elites meant to be killed by one player are almost always single mobs. Heroic/group missions will have packs of 2 or more elites at once.

(2) Kill weak/normal mobs before strong ones. This reduces the amount of overage damage you have incoming.

(3) Learn which abilities you have that take weak/normal mobs out of the action. For example, if you throw a Bounty Hunters sticky bomb on a weak mob he panicks until it blows up a few seconds later. When he's panicking he's not attacking you. This is a good thing :D

Attacks like this don't take Strong or higher mobs out of the action. They just keep shooting.

Just look for something like this in your ability texts: "Against weak or normal mobs this will do <whatever> for <x> seconds."

(4) Go see your trainer every time you level up.

(5) Keep your crew skills as current as you can, and visit that trainer often too. The stuff you make with your crafting crew skill generally makes your life a lot easier while out running your missions.

(6) Learn what kind of gear your companion uses and keep theirs up to date too. There is an option in the UI settings that will add your companion's gear to the comparion tooltips that pop up. It is off by default (why I don't know).