[WIndows 7 Guide] How To Increase SWTOR Performance

Lunez

There should be a section on "None of these tips work good enough to compensate for a god awful engine"

Nah. The next section should advise people that the above fixes can not fix stupid.

I did what was suggested in this forums and the difference in performance is tremendous. So common for people to blame a developer for a crappy engine, etc; when the very problem is with the players own computer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. The next section should advise people that the above fixes can not fix stupid.

I did what was suggested in this forums and the difference in performance is tremendous. So common for people to blame a developer for a crappy engine, etc; when the very problem is with the players own computer.

Its ******* like you that prevent the large player base that play this game from getting a fix. I average 220FPS in wow in populated cities (stormwind) and around 185 in BGs. I have tried this game on both my desktop (GTX570, 16gigs ram, i7970) and my ASUS G73SW republic of gamers. And guess what? Both have issues with stuttering ingame and sudden FPS drops anywhere when objects have to be rendered (PvP). Please tell me my hardware isn't within specifications. A 7 year old gaming desktop should blow this junk out of the water.

Oh would you also like my 3DMark scores as well? Or maybe some other benchmarks? :rolleyes:

BTW I did all these tips prior to this being posted and blaming my poor FPS on the game's engine. I actually did hours of research and tried dozens of fixes to no avail. So kindly **** and look at a much more informative thread that covers far more

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327922

Good luck actually getting these fixes to work :)

Edited by Blackcules

Video game coding has nothing to do with how your PC performs and runs software. Please don't confuse the two.

Actually, when the software you are trying to run on your PC is a video game, the coding has pretty much everything to do with how well it runs so long as you have minimum specs.

If you don't have minimum specs these tips sure can't hurt but if you have 6+ GBs of RAM they will do very little.

Alright everyone settle down here. You're all getting heated for no reason. Let's stay calm and focus on problem solving, rather than belittling each other. If I at all instigated anything, then I apologize. Lets move forward with some replies to some of the comments you guys made:

BTW I did all these tips prior to this being posted and blaming my poor FPS on the game's engine. I actually did hours of research and tried dozens of fixes to no avail. So kindly **** and look at a much more informative thread that covers far more

These are exactly the sort of things I like to have submitted. Instead of ridiculing your peers, why didn't you just come out and say, "Hey, I have some things that might help you, let me share my knowledge-base with you." That approach would have worked a lot better than coming out with your guns blazing like poncho jones with a chip on your shoulder. :)

That said, I really appreciate any constructive additions you want to add because this is a community guide, and it relies on the feedback from all of us. Truthfully, a lot of the things in your provided link are already located in my guide, and some of the other things the link listed are not what I would suggest to the average gamer. They have longer lasting implications that the novice could use to their grave disadvantage. They also amount to very little in a modern machine, and could produce hazardous results in an older machine.

As someone like myself who has been tweaking PC since Dos and WIndows 3.1, I strongly caution you to use those suggested items at your own risk.

Actually, when the software you are trying to run on your PC is a video game, the coding has pretty much everything to do with how well it runs so long as you have minimum specs.

If you don't have minimum specs these tips sure can't hurt but if you have 6+ GBs of RAM they will do very little.

I agree, except the things I'm suggesting here are not SWTOR Ini file tweaks, or other game related tweaks-- they are simply Windows tweaks, so.. meh, yeah semantics here. I'm showing people how to create a healthier system environment, which coincidentally, plays a game better. If you want me to add a section on SWTOR game tweaks, I certainly have a ton of them, but then that would be an entirely different guide altogether. You are totally right though, about not being able to push a computer faster than its able, as suggested at the begining of the guide regaridng threshholds. Thanks for joining the conversation.

Anyone know the exact size of the SWTOR installation? I'm trying to see if it would be feasible putting in an SSD. This SSD only has about 74.4 total space, so depending on the size of the installation folder (PTS installation not withstanding) it may merit changing drives :).

I'll give my tip from my experience with swtor (any game really but what i was playing at the time)

If you have more than 4gb of ram, get windows 7 64 bit

I was strugling alot with memory leaks and occasionally my game would just close or i had to relog to remove hidious lag.

After i tweaked my *** off like this guide i finally gave in and bought the 64bit version.

Worked like a charm and games has never lagged or crashed since.

Swtor uses alot of ram obviously, but the problem was that windows wouldnt let swtor allocate more memory than i actually had and that made the game suffer from memory leak, which means the program loses track of the allocated memory without reusing it (causing the violent lag all of a sudden)

Edited by Steele_dk

Anyone know the exact size of the SWTOR installation? I'm trying to see if it would be feasible putting in an SSD. This SSD only has about 74.4 total space, so depending on the size of the installation folder (PTS installation not withstanding) it may merit changing drives :).

I run WIN7 and SWTOR on a 120G SSD, they together take up about 62G, but I do move documents and downloads to my larger HDD.

SWTOR reports at about 20G in "Properties" of Electronic Arts folder.(NOTE: this is without the PTS though)

Edited by Roalmo

Turning off Aero alone is enough for me to set some extra graphics on maximum lol,

I even tried shadows max with everything else on max as well and I could move my char around without having like 1 FPS. It's still not the best option for me to have shadows on max soI turned it to low but EVERYTHING else is maxed with bloom on and such :p

Now, I am going to try the rest in the list but that will have to wait for a small while.

(server dead = no reason to play much at that moment unless for guild raid)

SWTOR is the ONLY game so far on my PC that I had to turn off desktop composition and Windows (Aero) themes on the .exe file, so far it has helped and in fullscreen 1920x1080 with everything max minus shadows I get 75-85 fps when standing still. Sometimes if you open the task manager ans set SWTOR's exec priorty to high (do NOT do realtime), make sure you do it on the one with over 1GB memory used, not the second one that only has 120MB useage.

Don't bother with XP SP3 compatibility, it doesn't change anything.

Edited by Sookster

SWTOR is the ONLY game so far on my PC that I had to turn off desktop composition and Windows (Aero) themes on the .exe file, so far it has helped and in fullscreen 1920x1080 with everything max minus shadows I get 75-85 fps when standing still. Sometimes if you open the task manager ans set SWTOR's exec priorty to high (do NOT do realtime), make sure you do it on the one with over 1GB memory used, not the second one that only has 120MB useage.

Don't bother with XP SP3 compatibility, it doesn't change anything.

I currently use realtime and it works like a charm, but to each their own. As for the comparability mode, I strongly suggest right clicking on the SWTOR exe and using the Troubleshooter to tell you what comparability to use. Best not to guess.

Regarding the registry cleaner, I've never used Eusing, so how does it compare to Glary Utilities Pro?

Use whatever yoiu're comfortable with and are confident does the job. I've never used Glary so I have no opinion. Good luck!

Its ******* like you that prevent the large player base that play this game from getting a fix. I average 220FPS in wow in populated cities (stormwind) and around 185 in BGs. I have tried this game on both my desktop (GTX570, 16gigs ram, i7970) and my ASUS G73SW republic of gamers. And guess what? Both have issues with stuttering ingame and sudden FPS drops anywhere when objects have to be rendered (PvP). Please tell me my hardware isn't within specifications. A 7 year old gaming desktop should blow this junk out of the water.

Oh would you also like my 3DMark scores as well? Or maybe some other benchmarks? :rolleyes:

yeah those are legendary tweaks from the Von himself. Also posted on steampowered.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315790

Nice post OP, while it may be true that the games engine sucks at streamlining client/server, you can still boost your gaming performance if the game is bottlenecking you system with just a few of your mentioned tweaks. I haven't tweaked my pc for games in years, back with 2D games where I would run ACPI PC and disable a core, but I should really turn aero off, my XP looked like win98 there's no reason win7 shouldn't either :p

• 3 weeks later...
Just as a note, users with a SSD should NOT defragment.

Also, I believe you can selectively disable Aero by disabling visual themes and desktop composition in the Compatibility tab of Properties for swtor.exe.

Was just gonna say that.

Defragmenting is a process specifically designed to improve performance on spinning platters by making sure the read-write head doesn't need to move around as much to get at the data. Defragment a SSD, and all you do is add wear and tear.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm curious if anyone has tried any of these tips yet. Just changing your theme to Windows Classic for instance helps increase SWTOR running efficiency drastically. I use all of the listed tips and my game runs beautifully with the highest game settings. I've tested it on my laptop, and my friend used it on his laptop as well, and he claims his performance is drastically improved.

Just wanted to say thank you for all these tips and yes. I use them. I just recently purchased a new laptop ( i5 dual core 2.5 GHZ, 6 gb DDR3, 2 GB DDR3 graphics card) and applied all of these tips. It has improved my game play plus my overall pc performance in general. Keep up the good work and if you have any more tips, please add them.

• 2 weeks later...

7 years ago, I bought a brand new gaming desktop. It doesn't even meet the minimum specs of this game in some places. What are you even talking about?

Anyway, I get about 220FPS in WoW, too, but on here it's around 100. But what would you expect? WoW was designed (and redesigned for Cataclysm) to ruin on a junk machine.

• 6 months later...