Star Wars: Attack Squadrons cancelled

Nemarus

http://kotaku.com/new-star-wars-space-combat-game-already-cancelled-1580779510

(link has 10 minutes of gameplay footage)

It definitely looks like it had a lot in common with GSF, though I will say GSF was a lot more polished and engaging, even in closed beta, than SWAS closed beta footage looked.

That being said, it didn't look so bad as to warrant cancellation. My guess is that between F2P GSF and Star Wars: Battlefront 3 coming out soon, the powers that be didn't want to dilute the Star Wars Space Combat audience with a browser game.

The wishful thinker in me hopes that some of the devs from SWAS get hired by BioWare to augment GSF's development staff!

Edited by Nemarus

That being said, it didn't look so bad as to warrant cancellation. My guess is that between F2P GSF and Star Wars: Battlefront 3 coming out soon, the powers that be didn't want to dilute the Star Wars Space Combat audience with a browser game.

Never heard of this game until now....

I personally never understood the popularity of the Battlefront games. The first Battlefront was quite clearly a 'Star Wars copy' of Battlefield 1942 -- except it was glitchy and not nearly as good. The space combat in Battlefront 2 was horrendous. I'm not going to waste money on the third one like I did the first two.

Never heard of this game until now....

I personally never understood the popularity of the Battlefront games. The first Battlefront was quite clearly a 'Star Wars copy' of Battlefield 1942 -- except it was glitchy and not nearly as good. The space combat in Battlefront 2 was horrendous. I'm not going to waste money on the third one like I did the first two.

Maybe but Battlefront also had a extensive modding community that stil endurs to this day. Although I feel like swf1 was more polished than swbf2.

ironically I happen to be munging (compiling) a custom belsavis map for bf2 as I type this