What does "MMO" stand for?

Photoshop

are you really asking or is this an ironic question?

if you are serious it s massively multiplayer organized, but the full name is mmorpg wich is massively multiplayer online role playing game

Edited by vaknyuszi

It's basic translation is Massively Multiplayer Online. Massively was really a differentiator from Multiplayer which were usually limited to anywhere from 2 to 16 or maybe 32 players at once in an area, as I remember it.

So when people refer to SWTOR as an MMO, I think having 2500 people at once able to be in the same area as massively enough. I'd love it to be larger in scope, but I guess that's up to the optimization and engine teams.

Massively Multiplayer Online

Multiplayer to signify you play with other player

Online means on the internet, not LAN

Massively to indicate you are not limited to a party/raid size operation, server can accept thousands of player

A multiplayer online game (MOG) would be call of duty for exemple

A major difference between MMO and MOG is that the world is permanent in MMO, it continue to exist even when you log out. Map in call of duty disappear once the match is over, and everybody is send back to the menu screen.

Edited by Vankris

It's basic translation is Massively Multiplayer Online. Massively was really a differentiator from Multiplayer which were usually limited to anywhere from 2 to 16 or maybe 32 players at once in an area, as I remember it.

So when people refer to SWTOR as an MMO, I think having 2500 people at once able to be in the same area as massively enough. I'd love it to be larger in scope, but I guess that's up to the optimization and engine teams.

You can't have 2500 people in the same area in this game. You can't even have 100, because the game will spawn multiple instances of the zone and segregate you all. The entire game is about segregating the playerbase into their own little rooms so they can feel like their decisions matter, but they never do.

You can't have 2500 people in the same area in this game. You can't even have 100, because the game will spawn multiple instances of the zone and segregate you all. The entire game is about segregating the playerbase into their own little rooms so they can feel like their decisions matter, but they never do.

Some instancing is done, yes, but not at the 100 level. I've been on instances of the Fleet and others where there were 200+ people in one instance. And I'm not sure how that would interact if it was 200 Republics and 200 Imperials at the Nar Shaddaa Promenade where both groups can mingle together.

But the presence of instancing doesn't change it from being an MMO, especially since you're in the same instance chat-wise if not character-wise, and can switch instances at will.

Everyone calls Swtor an "MMO" but what does mmo mean?

Typically it's a massive multiplayer online game.

I know thats what I bought. But on Infinity Gate, it's more like a single player online game. Is that fraud? Or like....bait and switch even?

:(

Yes, Swtor have population issues right now but game will be fine, soon we will have server merges and character transfers but till then if you want some company while playing come to Lord Calypho, we have more than 8 players at any time :) :) :)