Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

tlbww

The new player experience is pretty great so far. I get to the Fleet, and I get introduced to a bunch of quests that fail to provide the traditional handholding experience and I'm sure I just made my teammates lose. I can't for the life of me pilot a starfighter... I quit even trying... far too complex and not very intuitive for me being left-handed and having to steer on a kb (might try with a gamepad).

PVP is the typical brand.... but give that I just unlocked my advanced class and fighting against people with a larger array of skills and adept at pvp, I again make for yet another lackluster effort against the inevitable stomping. I don't mind losing at all. Very little was explained to me, so I adapted the 'let me just finish this to get the quest over with' mentality. I would have liked to run around with fellow noobs, but that probably isn't likely as pvp isn't as popular as pve content at least at the low levels. While I get what I deserved joining a pub, it's just ridiculous to pair me against players of any more skill than novice at the start. I learn nothing getting no practice piloting a ship.... I learned that I was underpowered trying to compete in pvp against people with even less pvp skill but with more skills to use.

I'm just saddened that there was not introduction to any of these modes other than throwing you into the mix. If there was a practice zone for me to fly the starfighters around and shoot targets, I missed it. If there were npc playing the classes I would fight against at various levels, I would have really needed to use that.

I apologize for anyone that was grouped against or with Zynoto. I have not SWTOR skill in pvp or any skill in vehicular combat. I'm pretty decent at knowing my class, so flash points and the story missions will be where I stay from now on.

When you landed on Fleet and spoke to the greeter for your ac quest there is a holo terminal that has a starship projection. That's a GSF terminal and will give you a quest to find the bay via a turbolift where you can interact somewhat with the ship crewmembers, view models of the various ships , access the reputation vendor and another quest. Also there will be a tutorial that will pop onto your screen and you can read thru it. When click on the GSF icon on your minimap there is an option to go to a training area tather than into battle. It has a time limit on how long you can stay but can go in repeatedly and practice flying and shooting at satellite defenses :)

For pvp, your in the right area to get a ton of help via the pvp forums. With expert player guides and links to in game videos you can get a sense of what you need to do in the various maps and contribute.

Will you be an expert your 1st or even 10th run? Nope. Will you get better because you feel more comfortable each time and with new ablilities/skills be more effective? Certainly. Find guides that help you set hotkeys instead of clicking, establish/ practice rotations and be ready to modify with next new powers.

You figured out how the pve works (just check the new player forum to see how hard that is for someone brand new to mmo's) so you can , with time and some effort, figure pvp/ gsf if you want to. Happy Star Warsing :)

It is perfectly fine, and don't feel bad for "making your team lose". After all, a team isn't composed of one person.

PvP is not for everyone, and can be hard to grasp (especially space PvP in which you're talking about, otherwise known as GSF). GSF has a very steep learning curve, especially for players new to flight simulators & space combat in general.

I hope you have a good day! The important thing to remember is that if you don't enjoy it; don't do it. :)

We all started at level 1 at some point. You like to PvP (or starfighter), then keep doing it, that is the only way you will get better at it. Some people will be better then you, some will be worse. Same goes for every aspect of the game to be honest. Do what you enjoy doing in the game. Trust me, a new person in PvE has to learn things just as much, but solo at least you only hurt yourself in the process :p

For ground PvP/warzones it's much easier to start off on a ranged class. Not sure what class you are playing but even expereinced players can get into trouble on lowbie melees. Melee generally bloom late and without the good attacks and defensive abilties you quickly become a sitting duck. It is possible to get heal support at lower levels but healers generally don't bloom until they get their lvl 30 abilties, assuming they don't waste points in the other trees.

Hence, if you're still a level 10-15 and want to get into PvP but happen to play melee I would advice you to either endure the first 30-40 levels or re-roll as quickly as possible for a chance to get used to PvP without getting steamrolled in every game. You might regret such a re-roll at higher levels though since melee is pretty good up there.

What to start on really is a two-edged sword, especially for someone who is new to the genre. I would say that sage/sorc by far are the easiest classes to start out on and they're really good in lowbie PvP. The problem arises when you are going to roll an alt and everything becomes harder to play, from a mechanical PoV. So in that aspect it might be a good idea to start with something a bit more advanced, such as guardian/jugg, and then take a step back.

Roll a sniper/gunslinger for pvp until you get a good grasp of HOW the WZs work. They deal high damage even at low levels, so... A) you'll get a sense of contributing to your team's success. And B) it is far more forgiving if you are trying to transition from clicking to keybinding, especially when you run into those "oh ****" moments where you find yourself looking at your action bar and get that ugly urge to click again, than trying to learn whilst playing a melee class.

GSF is trash... Your life would be better without it.

Edited by juleswinfield

WZs are only truly difficult if you're a melee DPS. GunSnipes, Scoups, and GuardJuggs are pretty easy to play PvP with (GuardJuggs in tank role)

Oh... and for future reference:

GunSnipe = Gunslinger/Sniper

Scoup = Scoundrel/Operative

GuardJugg = Guardian/Juggernaut

I'm a Sentinel that doesn't use the force powers. (So far, no Rebuke). I use vibroblades. I figured melee is rough in pvp as I don't have an invis skill yet nor I do have a knock down (or stun that works....). I want to give pvp a try, but it's not exactly easy to run melee dps w/ only 1 immobilizing cure that doesn't work against repeated snaring.

I might check it out at level 30. I did far better in SW battlefront in vehicular combat.

/goesandplaysbattlefront.

I'm a Sentinel that doesn't use the force powers. (So far, no Rebuke). I use vibroblades. I figured melee is rough in pvp as I don't have an invis skill yet nor I do have a knock down (or stun that works....). I want to give pvp a try, but it's not exactly easy to run melee dps w/ only 1 immobilizing cure that doesn't work against repeated snaring.

I might check it out at level 30. I did far better in SW battlefront in vehicular combat.

If it is your first time PvPing in this game, Sentinel is probably one of the worst classes to play, especially in lowbie PvP brackets. It takes a while to master the class, and it is also one of the ones that doesn't come to fruition until a little later, specifically because of defensive cooldowns and survivability.

That having been said, if you learn to play the class whilst you're levelling, you will tear people apart if you start to play in PvP around level 40 as a Sentinel, especially if you run Combat skill tree. The burst in that spec is amazing :p

Focus spec can also be effective at lower levels, since it has good AoE damage. But it is being nerfed in the 2.7 patch, so it's better to learn Combat, in my opinion.

Edited by BennyKrak

Focus spec can also be effective at lower levels, since it has good AoE damage. But it is being nerfed in the 2.7 patch, so it's better to learn Combat, in my opinion.

I know Focus = Rage, but Combat = ?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I only know the Imp names for the skill trees :o

SW:TOR was actually the first game I PvPed in. Came to the game like a week after launch thinking I would only PvE, tried PvP, ended up barely leaving Warzones to do my story.

There are plenty of YouTube resources out there to learn more about your class. Builds, gearing for end game, min/maxing if you want to, etc. Try it again when you feel like, but once you master your class start learning how every other class works, certain skills, rotations, etc. Once you learn what your doing, learn to predict your opponent and you'll win. Unless its Huttball. Then you're probably gonna need a team that knows Huttball is not deathmatch in the pit. >.>

I think the best lesson I learned for PvP (on the ground and in space) is not to charge in recklessly.

It looks cool in the commercials and movies where 2 sides run screaming into eachother till they meet in a massive collision; but as a strategy frontal charges became obsolete in the 19th century.

Especially if you're a noob hang back and be a wingman or battle buddy to somebody else. Be sure to use the environment to limit one person attacking you at a time. Stay near your team so even if you're massacred they can attack the people attacking you.

In PvP the person who leads the attack from the front will be the first to die. Good players can do it but noobs will be cannon fodder if they try it. Stay back with the team and attack their targets.

I've scrubbed around with my class. I've chosen Watchman as my focus (not much choice give my disuse of force powers).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRMRrfsrzZhG.3

Nothing special about it. I won't be using Rebuke and Force Sweep. There are other powers that I'm not allowing myself to use. I think it will be fun trying to play around it.

I actually felt that I got off on the wrong foot with the pvp modes. I didn't prepare myself for pvp in Swtor. I want to give both another try (later). I'll probably be using a gamepad for both mods as I have an easier time piloting a vehicle with a gamepad and controllers are more responsive for me when I don't want to worry about aiming, but do have to concern myself with moving around using skills.

But it's not something I'm going to concern myself with atm. The story is good so far and I have more powers to get before I make an appearance. Besides, I have a Gunslinger and a Sorcerer that I'm curious about playing.

I've scrubbed around with my class. I've chosen Watchman as my focus (not much choice give my disuse of force powers).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRMRrfsrzZhG.3

Nothing special about it. I won't be using Rebuke and Force Sweep. There are other powers that I'm not allowing myself to use. I think it will be fun trying to play around it.

I actually felt that I got off on the wrong foot with the pvp modes. I didn't prepare myself for pvp in Swtor. I want to give both another try (later). I'll probably be using a gamepad for both mods as I have an easier time piloting a vehicle with a gamepad and controllers are more responsive for me when I don't want to worry about aiming, but do have to concern myself with moving around using skills.

But it's not something I'm going to concern myself with atm. The story is good so far and I have more powers to get before I make an appearance. Besides, I have a Gunslinger and a Sorcerer that I'm curious about playing.

This is in no means attempting to be blunt, but limiting yourself like that isn't that great of an idea in PVP, as it limits the effectiveness of you in the group, Rebuke is a central CD to a Jedi Sentinel, NOT using it is just... not good. Force Sweep is also a central AOE, you absolutely need to use it in AOE situations.

It's fine if you love to RP (I love to RP too!) but keep it a tad separated from your PVP and you will do a lot better.

It's fine if you love to RP (I love to RP too!) but keep it a tad separated from your PVP and you will do a lot better.

It's not about doing better, it's about playing my way and having fun. I understand the group aspect as well. Maybe I'll stick to starfighter pvp or not pvp with this toon if the community is of the same thought.

Don't give up. Everything is a team effort. I personally enjoy the lore slightly more but there are times when I like pvp. I have some great experiences with it.

Ok I understand the Galactic Starfighter thing. I was awful at it at first. the only reason I am even close to "good" now is because of practice. Start off just flying around things. Screw the battle get the flying down first. Then start shooting people. Soon you'll be locking onto people in no time!

As far as ground combat goes. It is definetly a proffession. No question about it. You need a team effort for warzones. Now try getting to higher levels and maybe sit back and just assist the majority until you get better geared for pvp. That's what I did and I don pretty well.

It takes time. May the Force be with you! :)

It's not about doing better, it's about playing my way and having fun. I understand the group aspect as well. Maybe I'll stick to starfighter pvp or not pvp with this toon if the community is of the same thought.

The thing is in an MMO, you aren't the only person playing the game, and much of what people mistake as elitism is just people trying to get you to open your eyes to the "more efficient" way to play, as because the rewards and progression in the game is often dependent on your fellow players, someone who is purposefully "shooting himself in the foot" is sometimes seen as not desirable.

Well not using force abilities on a Sentinel is a VERY bad idea. You're limiting yourself so much that I don't even know what to say...unless you plan on making the most out on your class I don't think the Sentinel is a good idea if you plan on not using Force Abilities. Sure, it's about having fun, but when you're causing your teammates NOT to have fun because you're limit yourself for reasons of preference then it's even worse.

Edited by Tevzz

Kinda of reminds me of playing FFXI. You really weren't allowed to play what you want. The community told you how to play. I barely made any individual decision else risked playing solo in an mmo that forced you to group.

I think I'll save my RP build for Rp and reserve an option to refrain from using lightsabers. I was really surprised at amount of negative feedback I got even though I was having some mad fun. The pleasure of one at the expense of others I guess. Even still, the community has a right to the law of their land.

Kinda of reminds me of playing FFXI. You really weren't allowed to play what you want. The community told you how to play. I barely made any individual decision else risked playing solo in an mmo that forced you to group.

I think I'll save my RP build for Rp and reserve an option to refrain from using lightsabers. I was really surprised at amount of negative feedback I got even though I was having some mad fun. The pleasure of one at the expense of others I guess. Even still, the community has a right to the law of their land.

Don't listen to them. As long as it is fun for you, you're a winner.

The real losers are the ones who force themselves to play the way others tell them to, and lose the fun factor because of it. Win or lose, who cares. It is the fun that matters. Isn't that the reason people play video games in the first place; to have fun?

Edited by Essence_of_Light

I agree that GSF is not exactly intuitive and could do with a much better tutorial. I was absolutely useless at it until I read a few guides and realized that flying around, never adjusting my power pools, never using my skills, etc. was what was getting me killed constantly. There is also a not-insignificant gear gap between new players and people who've been playing it since it launched.

As for PVP...I dunno what to tell you. Neither of the Knight's advanced classes start to get good until the late 20s. I'd argue they don't even come into their own until the 40s, but you can at least start seeing where the spec's going by the 20s.

On the issue of Force powers...I'm not even sure what you mean by this. The overwhelming majority of the Sentinel's attacks have some element of Force use to them, at least in "in-universe" terms. In terms of mechanics, I don't see how it'd be possible to have any success at all at PVP playing a Sentinel that doesn't make extensive use of all the available tools. Sentinels have great defensive cooldowns because they need them. Their rotations are dependent on more abilities than just swinging sabers. Sentinels are a blast to play, and absolutely capable of wrecking face, but they can't do it purely with white damage and none of their DCDs.

You've gotten some responses from people encouraging you to play your way. I'd encourage that, too. Just be aware you will be about as popular with PVP teammates as the kid who plays baseball "his way" by throwing the bat at the pitcher and running to left field instead of trying to hit the ball and run the bases every time he steps up to the plate.