Why so much hate for remastered star wars films?

xnoxiousx

Im not cool enough to say I watched the original 3 in theaters since I was born in 1993. But my parents bought me episodes 4-6 on VHS with the documentary before each one (which I skipped because I was 5).

So obviously, I love episodes 1-3 as well, I feel like they make a great addition to the original 3.

However, I don't like remastering these films for more money, just like the crap series "The Clone Wars." I hate the idea of episode 1 being in 3D. I also bought the Blu-Ray DVDs that just came out, and on some things I wanted back to the originals. The one I wanted most was Old Ben's yell at the sand people in episode 4.

I am all down for increasing quality, but when you **** on it with 3D effects, or make the entire film animated, it sucks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno anything about the blue ray remakes....bcuz i havent seen them. But I've seen a LOT of talk about Vader's "nooooooo!"

assuming this is the end of episode 3, when he learns padme died.....can somebody please explain to me whats wrong with that? Is it because luke already yelled "nooooo!" when he found out vader was his father? Is that why?

Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.

That Noo scene from 3 killed the move to me. It is dead. Between that and the horror of 1... There were only 4-6. NO other movies... The first remakes of 4-6 were not all that bad though.

I dunno anything about the blue ray remakes....bcuz i havent seen them. But I've seen a LOT of talk about Vader's "nooooooo!"

assuming this is the end of episode 3, when he learns padme died.....can somebody please explain to me whats wrong with that? Is it because luke already yelled "nooooo!" when he found out vader was his father? Is that why?

Once you see him as Vador you wanted to see him as the emotionaless monster we saw him in 4 and 5, and some of 6. This "Nooo" broke with his norm so drastically, while making sense at the same time, made you look at him not as the COOL dark lord sith that we all knew and loved, but rather a whiny little brat (losing all cool factor he had). If he had started to destroy and kill everyone/thing in the room and seem like he was about to yell, then go dead still, that would have been worlds better and appropriate.

Edited by Spikeskcd

It's not the end of Episode 3 that people are complaining about. At the end of Episode 6, when Vader makes his...final decision... in regards to Luke and the Emperor, Lucas has now taken the "NOOOO!" from Episode 3 and dubbed it over that scene in Episode 6. It's a terrible edit and it has no place in that scene.

I dont understand all the hate for star wars bluray collection and so on.

Love bluray but i wish it had all unchanged movies a option.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

I have two reasons personally beyond just rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Han shooting first gave an old western feel to his character that is lacking if Greedo shoots first. Han was like a gunslinger in the original.

Jabba's Palace scene became a Warner Brothers cartoon in the remake, and just didn't appeal to me at all.

These are just my own personal opinions on the matter.

Edit: Oh yeah, how could I forget the "NOOOOOO!!!". I had managed to bleach that from my brain, but yeah that is a deal breaker. I refuse to watch the redone versions. I have kept a working laser disc player and copies of the the original trilogy like they were shown theatrically.

Edited by DarylMusashi

It's not the end of Episode 3 that people are complaining about. At the end of Episode 6, when Vader makes his...final decision... in regards to Luke and the Emperor, Lucas has now taken the "NOOOO!" from Episode 3 and dubbed it over that scene in Episode 6. It's a terrible edit and it has no place in that scene.

Agreed

It didn't work before in 3 it is worlds worse in 6!

I agree that is awful. Haven't seen it but I can imagine what a train wreck it is. I also remember back now to the first time I watched episode 3 and my reaction to vader yelling "no!" was one of displeasure......like it didnt fit right. Something was out of place. I guess i just didnt react as strongly as others. Maybe because, like everyone else, I dont think the prequel trilogy was very good. But UNLIKE everyone else.....i didnt think the original trilogy was so hot either. I found it pretty boring. I am far more in love with the IDEA of Star Wars than with any of the movies. The idea of having telekinetic powers, weilding a lightsaber, exploring space, meeting alien species, piloting space ships....is all very awesome, and its the reason I bother with star wars at all. It wasn't until i watched all 6 movies in proper sequence that I began to appreciate the story in its entirety, and respect the poorly told but epic tale of a man's fall to darkness, son fighting father, and final redemption.

But thanks to this post below I went and watched these reviews of star wars 1-3

This guy knows where its at.

and while I absolutely love this review......and agree with much of his take about movie mechanics and so forth....several very important plot points have completely escaped this guy and he is wrong on nearly half the stuff he says. Just recalling from memory, I'll post a "for instance" in a new post below

Some just have not read the novels, and therefore don't know about the struggle that (in the storyline) is going on within Vader.

While I don't quite like the NOOOOO at the end of Ep. III (It should have been more of a angry ARRRGHHHH with the deaths of the medical personnel, reflecting his embrace of the dark side) the NOOO in Ep. VI is perfect, especially because its reflecting his redemption.

Aside from the annoying fact that he sounds like he is talking with food in his mouth it soon becomes clear through his review that he lacks comprehension of several key plot points. On the one hand he derides the action sequences and begs for something more complex, and next when the very thing he asks for smacks him in the face, he lacks the intellectual capacity to recognize it.

Keep in mind the reviewer believes that every one of his sarcastic questions constitute additional proof that the star wars prequels are garbage heap built on stupid premises that have no plot. Recalling from memory some of his questions: “why would the trade federation wanna blockade trade?”

Answer: Ostensibly they are asserting control in order to coerce Naboo to agree to pay them a much higher tax. IE….they’re ostensibly doing it to get richer. THAT is what the trade federation gets out of it. This sort of thing happens every day in real life. But the plot thickens…..what they are REALLY doing is acting as pawns in a chess game played by the sith lord himself. He is maneuvering the galaxy into a position of open war. His efforts are ultimately impeded by Anakin skywalker, who sets palpatine's master plan back 10 full years.

His next question: "So the trade federation sets up a blockade so the planet doesn’t have any access to space, which instantly causes some kind of problem that never gets introduced (record screech) “I don’t get it”

Answer: A blockade from trade cuts a planet off from any resources. Without resources the economy dies, and after that the citizens die.

Not sure how he confused the Cuban missle crisis with world war 1…..maybe it was a joke.

Question: "So why does the trade federation have a military if they are merchants?

Answer: look up the definition of the word Federation. The source of their power is money, the source of their money is trade, and bullying smaller planets who wish to trade into paying taxes to this larger, powerful federation of rich planets. What planet doesn’t have an army? What tax collector doesn’t have an army?

“ I aint never read a book and I aint about to start”

Answer: I dont wanna touch this in case it was a joke

Next question: "So anyway I realize palpatine is using the blockade to advance himself politically”

No: palpatine *engineered* the blockade. Huge difference. He was so close to understanding, and yet so far away.

“why couldn’t they survive on the resources of their planet alone?”

Answer: Hello? An occupying army was moving in on them. What government in the universe would take that lying down?

His next sarcastic question: “how come in phantom menace a protocol driod recognizes jedi but in the original trilogy nobody knows what a jedi is?”

Answer: The original trilogy was set about 20 years after the **extinction** of the jedi. A whole new generation of people have grown up, for many of them their parents have already died, and they have never seen a jedi before in their life. It isnt a stretch to imagine the empire made jedi a taboo subject....all references and material and discussion of them illegal and punishable by law and so forth. And besides, a protocol droid lives longer than any human, has a perfect memory, and was around during the jedi heyday.

------

In his review of attack of the clones he wonders aloud how and why the clones were made before the droid army was, calling this a stupid plot hole.

Answer: It was explained during the movie that a mysterious person representing the jedi council commissioned the construction of a clone army 10 years ago. The timeline is perfect – the order was placed right after Palpatine’s first attempt to incite a galactic war got derailed by young Anakin skywalker. Not one to be discouraged, Palpatine immediately went to work on a new plan. We learn from Jango fett that the name of this mysterious jedi who ordered the clone army was “Tyranus”, also known as count dooku….AKA the apprentice who replaced darth maul under the leadership of Lord Sidious AKA Chancellor Palpatine. After dooku fights yoda, Lord Sidious tells dooku “welcome back ***lord Tyranus***”

If anyone needs further explanation, palpatine wants to create a war, and in order to do so, he needs to create no one, but 2 armies, and he needs the galaxy to be unaware of his involvement.

Next our sarcastic reviewer wants to know why out of a federation of galaxies there is not already an army….and seconds later he begins talking about the military creation act, completely unaware he answered his own question. They were in a time of peace where a standing army was illegal. We had a time in early America with a very similar law – a time when a standing army was illegal and did not exist. Furthermore the army of a single planet or even a few volunteer planets would be no match for a droid army that was designed to conquer an entire galaxy.

Our reviewer then wants to know why don’t they just force palpatine to donate blood so they can count his midichlorians to see if he is a sith??. There are so many things wrong with that I hardly want to waste space on it. First you don’t just demand blood from the chancellor of an entire galaxy. It doesn’t happen. Secondly, the fact that he has potential as a force sensitive does not constitute proof that he is a sith lord.

Next question: he asks why is senator Amidala being assassinated for no reason? And he calls this a plot hole.

Answer: There is a very good reason for her assassination – The reason is because she was the spearhead of the anti-military creation act. She was the single biggest obstacle to Palpatine’s goal of inciting war. Remember it was Palpatine who put the contract out on Amidala....thru dooku....thru jango fett...and so on down the line.

The reviewer wonders why the assassin sniper doesn’t just shoot Amidala thru the window instead of using bugs. In the very next scene of his youtube video he shows the window with the droid dropping bugs inside – with closed blinds. How is the assassin gonna see padme thru blinds? From across the street?

Next Question: Why did jango fett hire an assassin instead of doing the job himself?

Answer: to remove himself and his employer from the murder…..putting several more layers between them ensures they don’t get caught. Notice how the shapeshifter got caught by the jedi? That could have easily been jango caught by the jedi instead. Its just smart business to hire someone else.

Next he goes on this long satirical and sarcastic spiel about palpatine's ability to predict the future....and how this is stupid. When in fact if you paid attention in Return of The Jedi…..seeing the future is one of palpatine’s strong points. Yoda does it too….only not as skillfully as the dark lord. In star wars it is a jedi ability. No explanation needed.

I do have to agree with the reviewer about the love scenes…they were simply the worst of all time...anywhere book or movie....and this one thing alone is what tanked movie number 2.

Next our comical kidnapper whines about Yoda using a lightsaber. He rags on one of the coolest things in the star wars universe, complaining about why dooku doesn’t do acrobatics like yoda and so forth….entirely missing the point that there are different sword fighting styles or forms, just as it is in real life.

Fencing is not the same as samurai sword fighting and fighting one handed with a light sword is a very different style from a two handed heavy sword. They look different in action, and they have different speeds, advantages, and weaknesses. Yoda uses a fighting form that utilizes force power to move his body in acrobatic moves in order to overcome his age, his disability (the cane), and his small size. Dooku’s style is more reserved and subtle, and he can afford to use that form because he is larger.

Dooku’s form is far less aggressive and offensive than Yoda’s form but the downside to yoda’s form is that it tires you out very quickly and it thereby necessitates beating your opponent very quickly. What exactly does the reviewer expect to happen when the two opponents are equally matched in force strength? He doesnt say. Perhaps he thinks that yoda should just…..quit?

I don’t know what his problem is with children or where his hatred of them stems from but he spends like 10 minutes bashing children and (I hope) it is his problem alone. I’m sure that’s not one of the points everyone agrees with him on and so it doesn’t really need to be deconstructed.

Finally: he wonders why palpatine doesn’t just skip the war altogether and use his influence and charisma to mindwipe all the senators into making him an emperor. He insinuates that this option makes the entire war pointless and unnecessary, thus making the entire story unnecessary. That was just..... kind of stupid. Its well established that force persuasion is limited in its effectiveness. Furthermore he had the jedi on watch with the capability of arresting palpatine the minute they heard all these senators suddenly talking about making him emperor for no apparent reason. He would have given his identity away...or at least doomed his own plan to failure. He needed a legitimate reason for rising to power in order to avoid setting off alarm bells in the head of that pesky republic watchdog – the jedi council.

There are several more errors in his arguments but this post is already way too long and I'm not going to create a youtube video just to reveal the faults in HIS youtube video.

I just want my original, un-special editions. I bought the DVDs that had the originals a few years back and they are a prized possession now. I'd like to have them on Blu-Ray, but I can live without it.

My list of hatreds of the remasters are many.

Just from ANH:

I want Obi-Wan's original Krayt dragon call back.

Han shoots Greedo in cold blood. There was no exchange of gunfire. This is what made Han the coolest guy in the entire series.

No Jabba CG shots.

No need for fan-wanking with the unnecessary Boba Fett scenes.

No giant praying mantises in the cantina.

The expanded Mos Eisley was all right, but the Jawas and Rontos were lame and looked terrible, as did the unnecessary flying droid with the stormtroopers.

If you're gonna add something, add the Anchorhead scenes with Luke and Biggs since it actually makes his death at the end more poignant.

No CG stormtroopers in the Death Star (when Han runs down the hall).

Either do all CG fighters in the final fight, or all models. The mixing and matching looked terrible.

If you're going to upgrade something, why not the computer screens? Bring the 1976 technology at least up to the RotJ levels. What were the Death Star plans made on, a TRS-80?

I however, am ok with taking out the cardboard soldiers flanking the final walk at the awards scene.

ESB: (they seemed to have mucked around with this movie least of all)

Windows in Cloud City: Good

Wampa flailing around armless: unnecessary.

Fixed the "monkey eyes" Emperor: Good.

Expanded views of Bespin: Good

In an earlier special edition, Luke screamed when he dropped off the platform, thereby destroying his "I'd rather die than join you" moment and defeating the nobility of the moment. Thank mecha-Shiva they removed that (although I haven't watched it on Blu-Ray, so they may have put it back in).

RotJ:

The Muppet Show Jabba palace and extra musical number: ridiculous.

The Audrey II / Sarlacc pit: terrible.

Vader's "No, Noooooooo!": unnecessary, subtext destroying, moment killing.

Hayden Christenson ghost instead of Sebastian Shaw: inconsistent and intrusive.

I don't dislike the new song, but the celebration across the galaxy montage was ridiculous and goes against all the stuff that's been written afterwards. No such problems with a simple Yub Nub song.

Side note: When they made the OT, wasn't it awesome to know that somewhere at Elstree studios there was a full-sized Millennium Falcon sitting in a sound stage? You could walk around it, touch it, climb inside it... CG filmmaking is "ok, walk across this green platform and up that green ramp. Now watch this ping pong ball and pretend it's an alien. Films went from getting to play with cool toys and artists building props and sets to just walking around with your imagination and hoping they don't make you look silly.

It's getting late and I have got to get to bed so I have not read the whole thread. My apologies.

I have to say that I have no problems with any of the movies. None. I remember watching episode V in the theaters, then VI and I was hooked. I get too lost in the story that the movie is telling to pick apart the visual effects and cg backdrops added. Is there a need to have the Tatooine desertlife in the background as Obi and Luke move through Mos Eisley? No. Does it ruin the movie for me? No. I actually liked the fact that they had windows in Cloud City so that you could see what the entire place may look like instead of a white wall.

To me the best scene in all the movies was when Anakin looked up at Obi and screamed "I hate you!". After watching and loving these movies since I can remember, THAT scene stands out the most of any.

As for Vader's NOOOOOOO! at the end..... he lost his wife AND the the emperor blamed it on him. That signified the transformation for Vader. Was it cheesey? Maybe. Did it ruin the whole Saga? Not for me.

I can watch these movies on blu-ray, dvd, vhs, or the little hand held projector thingy that I had as a child. They will never get old.

Except for the Han shooting first part everything else i think was needed. like I said before, it helps with continuity, brings better effects and makes things look less cheesy (I mean if 4,5,6 were shot in modern day, the battles would be more epic (I mean you have to admit that CG gives you abilities to bring wonders to the screen like the Old Republic trailers)...imagine the battle of Endor if it was more CG but the live action parts stayed intact or the Empire strikes back snow battle.

Like i said, i'm all for making thing caught up with the times...if some prefer the old stuff...the can play their VHS Star Wars and let others watch the new movies.

Here's why. Lucas keeps revising it to make it "perfect". Now lets look at another Lucas gem shall we. One in such perfection that it needs no more polish. Howard the Duck. With his lack of remakes it has to be perfect by his standards.

I want him to stop Howard the Ducking my Star Wars. The more he Ducks it up, the worse it gets.

It isn't your Star Wars, just as it isn't mine, or anyone else's. It's Lucas' Star Wars and he can do what he wants with it.

Your Star Wars could be considered the Expanded Universe, because you could write a book and make something up and create your own story. But you have no ownership in the movies and Lucas' original story.

I know how much Star Wars means to so many people, but people need to realize that it is just a movie at the end of the day. Just like how useless and pointless Star Wars vs. Star Trek arguments are. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

None of us have any right or privilege to tell Lucas what he should do with his movies. We simply don't, we are only customers, we are only the audience. We have no right as customers to tell the producers of our products what to do with their products.

We may not like what Lucas does with his movies, but we still have to remember they are his, not ours.

It isn't your Star Wars, just as it isn't mine, or anyone else's. It's Lucas' Star Wars and he can do what he wants with it.

Your Star Wars could be considered the Expanded Universe, because you could write a book and make something up and create your own story. But you have no ownership in the movies and Lucas' original story.

I know how much Star Wars means to so many people, but people need to realize that it is just a movie at the end of the day. Just like how useless and pointless Star Wars vs. Star Trek arguments are. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

None of us have any right or privilege to tell Lucas what he should do with his movies. We simply don't, we are only customers, we are only the audience. We have no right as customers to tell the producers of our products what to do with their products.

We may not like what Lucas does with his movies, but we still have to remember they are his, not ours.

Wow, have you got a lot to learn. I was with you up until you said we are only customers. I dont believe we have the right to tell lucas what to do with his story, but speaking in general terms there IS no producer without the customer. The producer of ANY product has only one simple job - to make what the customer wants. I know it seems like I'm getting rude to you over something small....its because it totally infuriates me the crap companies get away with these days because of ignorant thinking like yours. There was a time the producer always did what the customer wants....and if he didnt then he was out of business simple as that. Then people like you got it into your head that customers dont matter. Since customer strength is in numbers, its people like you that sort of ruin it for everyone else and now we end up getting crappy customer service from just about everyone these days

If it weren't for the fans Lucas wouldn't have been in the position he is in today, he owes us a fair deal. And truly with art, after a while, it belongs to the audience.

The BBC had a good article on this which you can read here.

It also features a quote from Lucas, something he said back in 1988.

"American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history... In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be 'replaced' by new altered negatives.

"This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten."

He seems to have forgotten his own words in the nine years between then and 1997.

But the real root of the problem isn't so much that Lucas alters the film, there's plenty of "Director's cuts" of films, and that other sci-fi cult classic featuring Harrison Ford, Blade Runner, has had several re-edits and recuts since its original release.

The difference between that and Star Wars is that Lucas is basically saying "No, your memories suck, your memories are an inferior version of Star Wars and you shouldn't see them any more, watch ~my~ version instead" and actively trying to take the original Original Trilogy away from us.

For all I care he can release annual edits to Star Wars, as others have said, they're his films, it's his good right, but it's our right to enjoy our memories and watch Star Wars as we remember it.

So then do so...no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy the newly released Star Wars set. Ok so people enjoy the PT/OT and new stuff, who really cares? Instead of trying to shove your opinion down other's throats, people need to learn that you need to just deal with what the other's opinion is. I have seen enough "PT sucks blah blah blah" posts and threads, to say it doesn't matter at all.

They were released, its over and done with and they are all here to stay. ITS BEEN OVER A DAMN DECADE PEOPLE! MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIVES ALREADY! You can argue, but saying that such and such movie sucks is both childish and really old.

Eh i dont see it as that big of a deal. But then again i did not watch star wars movies till 2000's and they were dvd not original.

After watching Episodes I, II and III, you can clearly see that Anakin hates loosing family and friends. Anakin Yelled "Nooooo" in Episode 3 because he was told that Padme died. He loved he so much.

Now, for the part where Vader yells "No, Nooo" in Episode 6, its because hes not going to let his son die, at the hands of the Emperor, who indirectly killed Padme. I find this "No, noo" completely accurate.

No need for "No, noo" if there were no prequels.

So yes it makes sense to add it but just to fit the prequels.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

people don't like having things from their childhood memory being changed that simple. :cool:

honestly, the whole cgi treatment was forseen as something that would happen regardless. its either that or remakes nowadays. besides han shooting first and a few cgi, for lack of a better word, slapsticks, the one thing that sets me over the edge about his treatment was the finale of return of the jedi. the only time you see the human face of darth vader. after he died he became one with the force, during the celebration you see obi wan, yoda, and supposed to be adult anakin. but it was remade to be emo hayden christensen. that is a ball kicker for the actor who was hired to play that part. just because lucas wanted to add a link to his craptacular prequels. not saying, the other things were bad. but they were minor in the fact that nobody was erased out of the movie like that actor was.

While I can understand the hate from a lot of people, I've never been really vocal about it. I really don't mind them, the only the one that I really don't like is just the adding "No" to Darth Vader.

It had no purpose and just reminded me of the whining Anakin inside.

Also I enjoyed the new Ewok Song over the Jubb Jubb one.

Edited by Restepor

I'm going to attempt to explain what George did using steak as an example.

Say you're at a restaurant and you get a nice juicy steak (the originals) after you take a few bites the chef comes out and puts some sauce (the edits in the first dvd versions) on your steak saying that they were out earlier (cg being recently made practical). So the chef tries making a few more steaks (the prequels) and puts some blue cheese on instead of sauce because he heard the combination is good. So the steaks go out and the chef thinks ,"what about that guy I gave the sauceless steak to earlier. I know to make it up to him ill give him a bunch of this cheese." Mean while you're talking to you're friends and the next thing you know there's a chef running toward you with an entire tub of cheese and when he gets to your table he dumps it all on your steak and runs off. Now you've got a chunk of perfectly good meat you were enjoying buried in a thick coating of odorous pungent cheese (the blu-ray remakes) and while you could scrape it off and enjoy your steak anyways; the meat still stinks of gourmet cheese.