Dark Side/Light Side progresion

Esaru

You would still progress through the story normally, you'd just be a very not nice Jedi.

Some of your companions might not like you as well if you go dark side. There's some alignment specific gear that starts showing up, and obviously you can't wear/use the gear for the opposing alignment.

There's also the option to have your character look more corrupted as you go dark side. If you don't like how you look with darkside corruption you can toggle it off in the preferences.

Other then that, I don't think there's tons of effect.

Something else you should consider. I found this out in the weekend beta. To some (many?) of you, this might be common sense, but I wanted to confirm it anyway...

Your character has an alignment bar, just like in KOTOR and Mass Effect. And like in Mass Effect, you can choose to do both good and bad things, based on the situation. Each choice grants you light side/dark side points, respectively. However, unlike in mass effect, your Alignment is the DIFFERENCE of those 2 numbers. I know, that sounds like common sense, but there were some aspects that I was confused by, so I'm just tossing this out there to help folks. You see, as you progress in light or dark side points, you achieve 'levels' in light or dark. So, at 1000 dark side points, you'll hit Dark level 1. Same for light side. However, if you have 1000 dark side points and 500 light side points, your total alignment is only 500 dark, and you are NOT at Dark level 1.

Why is this important? Well, I only had access to the weekend beta, so I didn't get to see much, but the one thing I did see is that on the capital ships there are light side and dark side vendors. They sell some pretty nice prototype (blue) and epic gear gear. However, this gear requires that you have a certain level of light side/dark side. Similarly, as you adventure around on each planet, you earn commendations specific to that planet. Those tokens can be used to buy gear from the local vendors, and some (not all) of that gear also requires a particular light or dark side level.

As I leveled up my Sith Warrior to level 18, I obtained a really nice lightsaber upgrade. However, it required Dark 1 (1000 points of dark side). By the end of the Beta, doing all the quests in the first 2 zones, I had about 900 light side and 1100 dark side points, and I was never able to use that new saber.

So, the moral of the story... BEFORE you start playing, you really should decide if you want to be light side or dark side, and really stick to your guns on it, or you'll hurt yourself down the line.

I hope this helps,

Crash

Edited by SithCrash

However, unlike in mass effect, your Alignment is the AVERAGE of those 2 numbers.

It's the difference, not the average. Otherwise you would be adding the Dark and Light totals and dividing by two, which would be strange....

I know this may sound nit-picky, but this is an important detail in terms of math. Just want to clarify that.

EDIT:

honestly, I couldn't say... I didn't get a good look at it. I didn't see a dressing room like feature, like in WoW, so I didn't get to see what a lot of the armor looked like.

Also, there is still a dressing room---I believe it's ctrl-rightclick? I forget the key, but you can definitely preview gear.

Edited by GarrettPLC

Thanks for the clarification... I've cleaned up my original post to correct that error. You are correct, it is the difference, or the Sum if you treat light side points as positive and dark side as negative. I was confusing myself there.

Thanks for the tip on the dressing room, I'll give it a shot if I ever get my EGA email :(

Crash