Hemdil Tre Language

DaffyJr

I really like the sound of Hemdll Tre's language. It must be a real language, does anyone know

what language it is? I've searched on google for a similar sounding language but can't identify

it. I think maybe its Basque but not sure. Its very musical.

I really like the sound of Hemdll Tre's language. It must be a real language, does anyone know

what language it is? I've searched on google for a similar sounding language but can't identify

it. I think maybe its Basque but not sure. Its very musical.

Why *must* it be a real language? Did you consider the possibility that (given the limited stock of phrases that he says) it might just be nonsense sounds?

Ref: consider all the folks in-game who speak "Huttese", and how many different things they actually say. Not the number of different lines that appear in the subtitles, but the (much smaller) number of actual spoken lines. Or the number of different subtitles that you see when Khem Val says (in audio) "Myzenbama".

Clearly Khem Val is saying, "Praise Obama." I have heard this for years now every time Khem Val says it.

Nope, it's clearly "Myzen-Bummer", a stronger way to say "Bummer!". On another note, "Naraka naja keelee namya bamyak" can mean everything, from "Thank you for your help" or "Please don't kill me" to "My hovercraft is full of eels". I guess some of these alien languages work in a similar way as the Chinese languages, where one small change in pronunciation or intonation might change the whole meaning. ;-)

Edited by Mongorr

On the DVD commentary track of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and in interactive CD-ROM Star Wars: Behind the Magic, Lucasfilm Ltd. sound designer Ben Burtt stated that he based Huttese on Quechua, an indigenous language family spoken by the Quechua peoples, primarily living in the Andes and highlands of South America.

Often, "alien" languages in games and movies are based upon real languages, but only as far as overall sound, intonation, etc, is concerned. The actual "words" are usually made up.

On a related note, there are some videos on YouTube (and other places) where they show bits of foreign TV sitcoms/dramas (non-english) that have a character speaking "American". Although it sounds like English in tone, etc, the actual things they are saying are just random and/or nonsense "words" that sound like "American".

Edited by JediQuaker

On a related note, there are some videos on YouTube (and other places) where they show bits of foreign TV sitcoms/dramas (non-english) that have a character speaking "American". Although it sounds like English in tone, etc, the actual things they are saying are just random and/or nonsense "words" that sound like "American".

That works the other way, too. I speak four languages and I always giggle when a (US or British) sitcom, cartoon or some other show has someone speaking in one of the three other languages I understand. The funniest surely is German, as spoken on shows like South Park or Family Guy. Absolutely hilarious. Nothing beats Sheldon learning Finnish though. :D

That said, I doubt that Hemdil speaks Basque (as wondered by the OP).

Edited by JattaGin