ROTHC in retail stores?

LordSilversouls

Well as title says will we ever se them in retail stores? Cause I want the game but I am really uncomfortable to buy things online so.. will we :rak_02:

considering the cost of the expansion is so low i can pretty much guarantee you they will not be putting the expense out to produce Dvds for sale..Not only that since there are numerous other changes included and tweaks that have to be integrated at the time of download and installed before the next piece can proceed then i would say thats another reason for a nope

and

its 2013 man !!....Millions of people every day around the world buy things via the internet. Im sorry to come off sounding harsh...but your going to have just get used to this because going forward (and we already see it) digital distribution is the way things are going and either you will have to get on board or pretty much give up gaming at some point in time,.

If your that concerned Buy a "disposable" use credit card and use that for the purchase.

• Dev Post

Hi LordSilversouls,

Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not going to be available in retail stores. It is a Digital Expansion, meaning that you can only purchase the content online. Please note that when purchasing via http://www.swtor.com/rothc will ensure that you have a secure connection for your transaction.

Thanks for your understanding, and we hope to see you on Makeb!

~Amber

Well as title says will we ever se them in retail stores? Cause I want the game but I am really uncomfortable to buy things online so.. will we :rak_02:

I'm the same way, and given some of the leaks of information we've seen with other products I think you are justified in being careful.

That being said, I've sadly had to move on from this because of the way the market is evolving. Although the only online delivery mechanism I truly trust is Steam, BioWare seems to indicate they take security seriously... given previous... lapses.

- Arcada

Hi LordSilversouls,

Rise of the Hutt Cartel is not going to be available in retail stores. It is a Digital Expansion, meaning that you can only purchase the content online. Please note that when purchasing via http://www.swtor.com/rothc will ensure that you have a secure connection for your transaction.

~Amber

Actually, no. No, I DON'T understand. I can't buy the expansion to the game, then. Not because I'm merely uncomfortable with paying for things online, but because I HAVE NO MEANS OF PAYING FOR THINGS ONLINE. I can't fax cash, now, can I? I have no credit card, no bank account, nothing to link a Paypal account to...I have nothing.

So, again: what was your reasoning for not having the expansion sold in brick-and-mortar stores? Couldn't you at least sell codes for it, like you do the Cartel Coin cards and Time Cards (which I haven't been able to find within 25 miles of my home anymore, by the way)?

... but because I HAVE NO MEANS OF PAYING FOR THINGS ONLINE. I can't fax cash, now, can I? I have no credit card, no bank account, nothing to link a Paypal account to...I have nothing. ...

Why not visit your local supermarket and buy a Visa or Amex gift card? They work for online purchases.

Hi LordSilversouls,

~Amber

Any chance of it or any future expansions being released in a similar manner to time cards? Enter the key on the site and it will download anything needed the next time you start the launcher?

Hi LordSilversouls,

~Amber

Here's an idea: Blizzard sold their digital versions of Mists of Pandaria on a card code in Gamestop and Best Buy and the like. How about you guys do the same? No need for a bulky box and people who are scared to buy online can purchase the expansion fear free!

You guys already have the Cartel Cards. So it's just a matter of swapping codes and slapping a Hutt Graphic on. Win/Win!

Actually, no. No, I DON'T understand. I can't buy the expansion to the game, then. Not because I'm merely uncomfortable with paying for things online, but because I HAVE NO MEANS OF PAYING FOR THINGS ONLINE. I can't fax cash, now, can I? I have no credit card, no bank account, nothing to link a Paypal account to...I have nothing.

You're living outside the system, man! Some kind of hippie anarchist pot-smoking anti-social doomsday prepper ?! :)

That was a joke (people can be sensitive on these forums).

Good for you! Is there an option where you can gift the game to someone? Not offering but maybe you know of someone who is more... connected... with the evil corporate establishment and doesn't smell and cuts his hair and has a job!!!! Again, joking and in good fun... I hope. Real suggestion...

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

So, again: what was your reasoning for not having the expansion sold in brick-and-mortar stores? Couldn't you at least sell codes for it, like you do the Cartel Coin cards and Time Cards (which I haven't been able to find within 25 miles of my home anymore, by the way)?

This is fascinating. That's gotta be a rather inconvenient lifestyle for somebody who plays PC games, though I guess having Steam cards at GameStop and Best Buy and the entire Impulse catalog available for purchase at GameStop stores helps. It's gotta be a pain to pay bills in cash, however. Why deal with that?

Lol.. the forums never fail to make my work days entertaining.. I still don't understand how you can be scared to purchase something online.. well, as far as SWTOR goes, it comes DIRECTLY from the company that's selling it. If you figured out how to create an account here, and you're uncomfortable purchasing online.. you've got some issues. Assuming this is an "identity theft" type of fear, your information is already listed into the company's account info..

edit, read last post..

Yes, you do live an interesting life.. when everything else is updating, you seem to want to wallow in the past.. do you happen to travel around on horseback too?

Edited by ayobreezie

Here's an idea: Blizzard sold their digital versions of Mists of Pandaria on a card code in Gamestop and Best Buy and the like. How about you guys do the same? No need for a bulky box and people who are scared to buy online can purchase the expansion fear free!

One would think.. if you are scared to buy online.. you would also be scarred to enter a code (that you paid hard earned real life cash for) online as well. I mean if you are worried about someone stealing your info... why are you not worried about someone stealing your purchased code too?

TL;DR this sort of thinking makes ZERO sense in an age of secure internet commerce.

Only do online transactions with merchants you trust. If you do not trust EA/Bioware internet security and integrity of commerce... then why are you here? That is a serious and sincere question.

And before someone says.... "BUT I don't have a credit card or PayPal".... no worries.... go to the local brick and mortar merchant and buy yourself an EA card...... use it to purchase the expansion online. ;)

Edited by Andryah

One would think.. if you are scared to buy online.. you would also be scarred to enter a code (that you paid hard earned real life cash for) online as well. I mean if you are worried about someone stealing your info... why are you not worried about someone stealing your purchased code too?

TL;DR this sort of thinking makes ZERO sense in an age of secure internet commerce.

Only do online transactions with merchants you trust. If you do not trust EA/Bioware internet security and integrity of commerce... then why are you here? That is a serious and sincere question.

And before someone says.... "BUT I don't have a credit card or PayPal".... no worries.... go to the local brick and mortar merchant and buy yourself an EA card...... use it to purchase the expansion online. ;)

Ohh yeah, to add to this.. they sell prepaid credit cards now.. lol. $3 - $5, put whatever amount you want on it.

This is fascinating. That's gotta be a rather inconvenient lifestyle for somebody who plays PC games, though I guess having Steam cards at GameStop and Best Buy and the entire Impulse catalog available for purchase at GameStop stores helps. It's gotta be a pain to pay bills in cash, however. Why deal with that?
My income flow is still rather...unstable. Most of my income right now comes from fixing computers and helping out with assorted odd jobs here and there. I just had a job interview from my local Walmart, though, so I may actually have a regular job again! I live in a part of Michigan that still hasn't really recovered from the economy crashing and burning just after I graduated from high school. Was going to college until the state withdrew its tuition aid. HAD a bank account...just wasn't making enough money to keep it active. Had to let it go.

And, by the way: have you guys actually LOOKED at the fine print on the back of those prepaid cards? They cost in the long run even more than I could ever use. (Seriously: $5 just to activate the damned thing. That's half the cost of the expansion alone! It only gets worse from there.)

...that said, who sells EA cards? I don't think I've ever seen one before. I'll have to check my local Gamestops...then again, they stopped carrying timecards MONTHS ago, so who knows...

Why not visit your local supermarket and buy a Visa or Amex gift card? They work for online purchases.

This one should actually work. Mind you, they're not available in every country yet, but I do see them more and more often.

For all the smart-guys trolling the poster: in some countries, credit cards are quite rare. I know they're pretty uncommon in my country, the banks (and government) prefer direct-debet cards instead for some reason. Taking a creditcard instead costs an additional fee. And that's a pretty normal west-european country.

My income flow is still rather...unstable. Most of my income right now comes from fixing computers and helping out with assorted odd jobs here and there. I just had a job interview from my local Walmart, though, so I may actually have a regular job again! I live in a part of Michigan that still hasn't really recovered from the economy crashing and burning just after I graduated from high school. Was going to college until the state withdrew its tuition aid. HAD a bank account...just wasn't making enough money to keep it active. Had to let it go.

And, by the way: have you guys actually LOOKED at the fine print on the back of those prepaid cards? They cost in the long run even more than I could ever use. (Seriously: $5 just to activate the damned thing. That's half the cost of the expansion alone! It only gets worse from there.)

...that said, who sells EA cards? I don't think I've ever seen one before. I'll have to check my local Gamestops...then again, they stopped carrying timecards MONTHS ago, so who knows...

Check out Walmart -- they have their own version of it, and I don't believe you pay ANY fees. Basically a reloadable cash card.

Bank accounts are FREE as long as you have like $20 (average) in a savings account. Opening a checking account and getting a debit card is free at most banks.

his has already been mentioned, but if you don't want to use your credit card or don't have a credit to buy the expansion, use an EA prepaid card. If there is a BestBuy near you, then they are available there. The lowest denomination I have seen is 20 dollars. You could buy two, use 9.99 for the expansion and then use the other 30 to tack on another sixty days to your subscription.

At best i would say this is a digital dlc, its alot of fun but its no where near an expantion. Citidel dlc is bigger then this thing and is about the same price. That said its alot of fun and adds some interesting stuff that can be added to with later patches.

Shame on you.

Since when do companies have to accomodate every possible way of payment dating back to the stone age? You have it rough? So what? That happens to more people.

Do you really expect EA/BW to set up a whole new way of payment (which actually costs a lot of money to them) just so the 5 people in this world who do have internet but no bank account can purchase the expansion? Really?

How dare you expect or demand that an online game should be able to accept cash sent in the mail?

Shame on you. Each may have their opinion but your level of entitlement honestly disgusts me. I am pretty sure there are possibilities here that you could use. And if it costs 5 bucks extra to activate a card, then save a little longer and do it then. Have a little more patience and be proud of what you can achieve instead of asking the rest of the world to dance to your tune because you feel you have it bad.

Your situation is very unfortunate but your attitude ruins any chance of sympathy or understanding from me.

Shame on you.

Since when do companies have to accomodate every possible way of payment dating back to the stone age? You have it rough? So what? That happens to more people.

Well, for starters, check out your nearest one dollar bill. See the text that says "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"?

Do you really expect EA/BW to set up a whole new way of payment (which actually costs a lot of money to them) just so the 5 people in this world who do have internet but no bank account can purchase the expansion? Really?
...or they could just use the same receipt code technology they use for other downloadable DLC (for instance, the Black Emporium and Sebastien Vale's story arc in Dragon Age II).

How dare you expect or demand that an online game should be able to accept cash sent in the mail?
...crap, did I actually say that?

Shame on you. Each may have their opinion but your level of entitlement honestly disgusts me. I am pretty sure there are possibilities here that you could use. And if it costs 5 bucks extra to activate a card, then save a little longer and do it then. Have a little more patience and be proud of what you can achieve instead of asking the rest of the world to dance to your tune because you feel you have it bad.

Your situation is very unfortunate but your attitude ruins any chance of sympathy or understanding from me.

It's not $5, it's $5 per month...which they will continue to charge to the card EVEN AFTER YOU ZERO OUT THE BALANCE. Fine print only sucks if you don't read it. I checked the ones at Walmart: even those have deposit and monthly fees.

...all of which is moot at this point: my local Gamestop finally got its head out of its nether regions and restocked their gift card rack. Their EA game cards were all the way at the bottom corner, buried behind the Minecraft download codes.

Thanks for letting me borrow your soapbox. Don't worry, I didn't leave any stains.