Smash isn't that bad

lordkhouri

People need to realize that smash spec is not as severely overpowered as people say it is. With some simple warzone awareness, a group could realize that the jugg that's placed himself between 4-5 enemies is actually guaranteed to die if those targets would just turn and attack him.

The weakness of this spec needs to be exploited, and it is that the smasher is constantly putting himself in harms way surrounded by multiple enemies, and before you know it, you don't have a smash problem anymore.

A melee class would not complain about ranged damage without actually trying to close the gap and fight the range and stop him from free casting. The advantage ranged has is that they can place themselves somewhere in range of their healers but out of range of the enemy dps.

Stop complaining about a spec that is really not that powerful; it hits hard but that's required since if they can't do damage quickly they won't do any at all since they're dead so soon. People suggesting 3-5 different changes to the spec don't understand how the spec works... nerf it and no one will play it, whats the point of that?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less smash monkeys. That's the point.

It's a tremendously op AoE attack that can virtually be spammed. It needs to be nerfed.

this is the truth.. keep an eye out next WZ's you play.. i count 3-4 smash specs in most rounds, its just getting stupid now. it needs a slight nerf.

I understand how annoying it is to face a team of warriors i faced 7 today

As OP writes, smashers jumps into a crowd for most usefullnes of the smash, but also tends to put themself in a dangerous position, also if people spread out more they will see a difference.

Once someone posts about how someone smashed them for 9k this thread is a joke, why?

- Because with pvp gear it wont happen, ive seen a 13k sorc, most ove sweeped him for was 9,8 without inspiraton

Well, if you face 7 warriors you are toast if even just three focus you, like, really toast, more so than if three Sins ganked you at the same time. It's not so much that you die, but that you die quickly along with everyone else close by.

Way, way back when talking pre-release about this game, its the type of MMO situation they were claiming to do away with in Swtor along with chain stunning/dead. They have kind of failed on both fronts, though the chain stunning isn't nearly as bad now as it was in early Jan 2012.

People need to realize that smash spec is not as severely overpowered as people say it is. With some simple warzone awareness, a group could realize that the jugg that's placed himself between 4-5 enemies is actually guaranteed to die if those targets would just turn and attack him.

Let me guess. You play a guardian/jugg or mara/sent. Only someone defending their own class would try to justify things with a 'but but all you need to do is bring a group to kill me!' defense. LOL.

Edited by Jherad

You don't have to be focused, you just have to be near someone who's being focused. Nodes are objective they have to be attempted, so you get people gathered up in one spot. 4 smashers at 6k a pop is 24k hp gone to anyone in the area thats pretty much a clean sweep for anyone even in the most advanced gear that didn't have some mitigation ability up.

An AOE shouldn't be the most damaging ability in the game or any game. It shouldn't hit harder than single damage. It shouldn't be given to a TANK. The best DPS ability should be given to dps or caster dps and not a tank.

Lastly, a pvp spec should not have a big advantage in terms of gear or stat returns. While every class spends stat points on crit to maximize dps, a smasher does not need crit and can put those points into surge.

When you combine all of this, it is easy to see that the spec is OP. However, I do not have a problem with this because I play a marauder that is smash spec also.

We just have to wait until the expansion, then they will balance out all of the classes. Why balance them out now when you will just have to do it again in a couple months?

As I've said in another thread, if they only balance through post 50 abilities then you're essentially forcing players to pay 10 bucks for a fixed class. That's a big no no.

Classes need to be balanced at 50 and 55 when the expansion hits. The level 50 stuff needs to be sooner rather than later. Ie. 1.7.

Smashtards need to be nerfed, I've run in to warzones that had5 or more jugs. This flavor of the month has run its course and needs to be nerfed in the ground never to rise again. So stupid that a tank class has survivability and can put up the biggest dps numbers.

Remember how OP Chain-Lightning on Wrath was?

How much it was ruining Warzones?

How Bioware specifically destroyed an entire AC's PVP play style without replacing it with something else?

Rage hits for more than Wrath-CL ever did.

The things they've nerfed in the past (CL/operatives/tracer spam) would be ok in the current enviroment. Hell, we'd still be complaining about smash, that's how stupid it is. And when people had complained about it they decided to indirectly buff it by making it easier to obtain war hero gear. We used to have one really geared smasher to worry about per warzone......now they're all able to smash min/maxed wh sorcs for 7K. How much output is a sorc gaining between recruit and wh? Probably not even to the degree that it's noticeable for the opponents.

Remember how OP Chain-Lightning on Wrath was?

How much it was ruining Warzones?

How Bioware specifically destroyed an entire AC's PVP play style without replacing it with something else?

Rage hits for more than Wrath-CL ever did.

The only reason it was "OP" was because it was before Expertise and the WZ bracket was 10-50 (IE opponents had less defensive skills in any given WZ because they hadn't reached the talents/level yet to obtain them.)). Sorcs could -still- be destroyed 1v1 during that time by the majority of classes unless you were extremely skilled and geared. It should also be pointed out that the spec did NOTHING but pad numbers. That's all it was. Back to back, a CL / Death field combo "might" have hit for 6k total IF both of them crit and you were adrenaled (which you could still use then) and expertise buffed.

As for Smash: I have both a Sentinel and Marauder - War hero min maxed with mixed elite pieces on the sentinel and war hero + dread guard mixed set on the marauder (only 1090 expertise on him) and I can say that smash is just idiotic. An 8 second cd, auto crit up to 5 targets for 5k+ is flat out dumb. Coupled with one of the hardest hitting executes in the game, it is just silly.

The only solution I can see for this is that each additional target around your main target takes X% less damage of the full hit on smash: Though I don't have faith that Bioware would be able to code that correctly. I know that other MMO (wow) "Fixed" AoE's by reducing the damage if more targets were in the area... Not sure if that would work better for smash in this instance.

Anyone else ready to see the stupidity to come out of the "Balancing" in Makeb? Start placing your bets for what the next FoTM will be.

Well smash by itself isn't that OP and one (even geared) smasher is not too big of a deal. I believe the main issue around smash relates to the lack of premade matching in this game. Any idiot with decent gear and being healed can do very very well on smash if the other team is a near even match or especially if they are worse. Also, even if the smasher doesn't have a ph if his team is better at killing then smash is very easy.

If you are pugging and the other team is an even match or better than your team then smash actually does take some skill and really shouldn't be considered op.

Due to how easy it is to do well on with a better team and especially when being healed it has become very popular for premaders to use. Then you not only have a strong class but you have a strong class being stacked in a geared premade while the other team has a few random recruit players. Let the QQ begin!

BTW, war type classes are always easymode in mmos when their team is better and especially when they are being healed. They usually require skill if they are not though and so I have found that wars are more likely to form premades than many classes (excluding healers).

Also, playing a lot of pvp on 8 classes I have noticed some of the "best" wars the rare times they have pugged and they were almost all horrible if their team wasn't significantly better ....rofl.

Less smash monkeys. That's the point.

It's a tremendously op AoE attack that can virtually be spammed. It needs to be nerfed.

Or, you just have to learn to use your stuns, heals, bubles, stealths more and more stuns and heals and stuns and stuns again and more stun bubble and stun bubble, the right way. If not, oh well less stun monkeys.

So..... If you ok with smash, pls give to my merc 25000 Death from Above (why 25k? Cuz 1 min cooldown, cuz u can run away and cuz u can interrupt it) .

Or... Emmm... Or 8000-10000 Flame Thrower! :D

No? :rolleyes:

Edited by Glower

So..... If you ok with smash, pls give to my merc 25000 Death from Above (why 25k? Cuz 1 min cooldown, cuz u can run away and cuz u can interrupt it) .

Or... Emmm... Or 8000-10000 Flame Thrower! :D

No? :rolleyes:

No. just L2P to PvP, because perma stun , bubble , disrupt, stun, stun, stun, disrupt, sealth, stun, disrupt, stun, bubble, stun, disrupt, stun is not PvP. It's just what BW did to SWTOR PvP to keep it's PvP rejects subs, so they can have their money.

Smashtards need to be nerfed, I've run in to warzones that had5 or more jugs. This flavor of the month has run its course and needs to be nerfed in the ground never to rise again. So stupid that a tank class has survivability and can put up the biggest dps numbers.

While I agree that smash is a little OP, I don't really get that people keep bemoaning the fact that a "Tank class" has it. There are no "Tank Classes" there are only 'tank specs', and Rage is a dps spec.

Seriously? According to you the only classes that should be able to dps are marauders and snipers since every other class has an option to tank or heal....btw why do you single out juggernauts? There are far more marauders running around in rage spec and they do more damage and have better defensive cds than a juggernaut does.

Edited by Darth-Rammstein

No. just L2P to PvP, because perma stun , bubble , disrupt, stun, stun, stun, disrupt, sealth, stun, disrupt, stun, bubble, stun, disrupt, stun is not PvP. It's just what BW did to SWTOR PvP to keep it's PvP rejects subs, so they can have their money.

You do realize that you just told a bounty hunter to learn to play by constantly bubbling himself? and stealth?