Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

So how would this benefit engineering or marksman? :)

Well Marksman and Engineering would benefit from a reduced cost on takedown as well. I don't play Engineering because I think it's cumbersome and doesnt work well in a lot of fights. The current 6 pc set bonus works wonderfully with MM but the loss of the energy reduction on take down adversely affects virulence energy management and often means you cant use the ability when in procs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Marksman and Engineering would benefit from a reduced cost on takedown as well. I don't play Engineering because I think it's cumbersome and doesnt work well in a lot of fights. The current 6 pc set bonus works wonderfully with MM but the loss of the energy reduction on take down adversely affects virulence energy management and often means you cant use the ability when in procs.

(PvE perspective)

Camel and I have stated multiple times in this thread that Virulence does not need the energy reduction on Takedown.

Both other diciplines do not need it either.

Yes Engineering uses it less, but not every dicipline has to use every single ability we have. Besides Engineering does use Takedown, just as a finisher instead of a filler.

In PvE Snipers are fine, really. The devs just need to find a way to adjust a few things to benefit PvP to keep our PvP'ers happy.

2: Accuracy/Alacrity X%

4: Cunning X%

6: Critical X%

Like the old skill trees could let you do.

Not really necessary. At our current tier of gear (PvE) we are hitting the diminishing returns with these stats, so we would be hitting dps loss rather than a gain using this setup.

Not really necessary. At our current tier of gear (PvE) we are hitting the diminishing returns with these stats, so we would be hitting dps loss rather than a gain using this setup.

I'm more of a PvP'r although I haven't played much recently I'd always have the 3% accuracy buff and 1 or 2 accuracy mods to bring me upto 95% acc with my Guardian. Also I remember lots of people like to toss crit for power, so rather than give them more power force them crit. Lastly every class had that 3% main stat which made getting main stat augments more useful.

I say Accuracy/Alacrity because I know a few range classes could get both those on their skill trees in an older patch, I don't actually know if they are useful, but again I'm talking from a melee PvP point because no one wants to trade off stats like surge for accuracy

And the 6 piece set bonus is so OP where Marksman is concerned. That's not to say Marksman is OP or Snipers are OP but you shouldn't be able to guarantee hitting someone for 20k twice every minute. I think the autocrit on set bonuses in general is sort of lazy and unimaginative.

Few days late but whatever, had a good laugh when I saw this.

not even one official response.

they don't care.

the sniper's fate is dramatically weak in wz and solo Q. our utilities are bad regardless of other classes, nothing changes.

even in distant, sorcerer are just over powered, no match. and commandos/mercenaries are better in one vs one if all defensive abilities are up.

to be honest in 1 vs 1 wich classe/spec do we win at same skill ?? we are obliged to fight in group and at safe place.

even heal class beat us at 1vs 1 ! using environment..

words in vacuum again..

not even one official response.

they don't care.

the sniper's fate is dramatically weak in wz and solo Q. our utilities are bad regardless of other classes, nothing changes.

even in distant, sorcerer are just over powered, no match. and commandos/mercenaries are better in one vs one if all defensive abilities are up.

to be honest in 1 vs 1 wich classe/spec do we win at same skill ?? we are obliged to fight in group and at safe place.

even heal class beat us at 1vs 1 ! using environment..

words in vacuum again..

The best sniper can kill anything in game. Even Ops, just got to go Engi and time literally EVERYTHING correctly. It's just the fact that Snipers have 0 "oh ****" buttons is what kills them in Yolos. Duels are fine.

On another Note, they haven't responded to any of the other threads either, besides to fix a couple of errors.

Edited by Camelpockets

The best sniper can kill anything in game. Even Ops, just got to go Engi and time literally EVERYTHING correctly. It's just the fact that Snipers have 0 "oh ****" buttons is what kills them in Yolos. Duels are fine.

On another Note, they haven't responded to any of the other threads either, besides to fix a couple of errors.

You can even kill anything on a MM as well. However, people tend to notice that sort of thing kind of quickly.

• 1 month later...
(PvE perspective)

Camel and I have stated multiple times in this thread that Virulence does not need the energy reduction on Takedown.

Both other diciplines do not need it either.

Yes Engineering uses it less, but not every dicipline has to use every single ability we have. Besides Engineering does use Takedown, just as a finisher instead of a filler.

In PvE Snipers are fine, really. The devs just need to find a way to adjust a few things to benefit PvP to keep our PvP'ers happy.

Well i may have overstated my point when I said it "needs" it but Virulence could certainly benefit from the reduced energy cost on TD. Prior to the change to the discipline system the old lethality tree had a skill called Lethal Takedown that allowed they use of TD above 30%. It was the introduction of this that really made pure lethality specs the way to go and saw the old eng/leth hybrid die out. With the new rotations we are required to micromanage energy much more in addition to a longer rotation. I loved old lethality and despise being forced to use basic attack or spec into free overload shot as fillers to maintain energy. I'm suggesting that some form of energy reduction on either TD of Lethal Shot would be a QoS improvement as well as a mild DPS increase since using soft hitting energy friendly fillers wouldn't be required as often.

Well i may have overstated my point when I said it "needs" it but Virulence could certainly benefit from the reduced energy cost on TD. Prior to the change to the discipline system the old lethality tree had a skill called Lethal Takedown that allowed they use of TD above 30%. It was the introduction of this that really made pure lethality specs the way to go and saw the old eng/leth hybrid die out. With the new rotations we are required to micromanage energy much more in addition to a longer rotation. I loved old lethality and despise being forced to use basic attack or spec into free overload shot as fillers to maintain energy. I'm suggesting that some form of energy reduction on either TD of Lethal Shot would be a QoS improvement as well as a mild DPS increase since using soft hitting energy friendly fillers wouldn't be required as often.

Just remember that not every fight will translate into a dummy parse, so you shouldn't need too much extra energy outside of Adrenaline Probe and Target Acquired while doing mechanics simultaneously. This is another reason why the change isn't totally necessary from a PvE perspective.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
I agree with most people here. Having Takedown/Quickdraw be put back into the set bonus would help a lot. Lethality and Dirty Fighting will get the benefit of having easier energy management with reduce skill cost as well as Marksmanship and Sharpshooter. It will allow the spec to use Takedown/Quickdraw they way the skill trees wants us to use it. Which is after Aimed Blast/Ambush to act as a empowered follow up when the enemy is below 30%. As for Engineering/Saboteur I'm not sure what they would want. I'm not well versed in that spec.

Well the disciplines in each advanced class can be so different!

How about 6 piece set bonus moved to 4 and set bonus 4 moved to 2 and 6 can be a defense buff such as getting attacked reduces the CD of scrambling field and hightail it.

Either that or the 6 piece set bonus can be The DoTs applied cannot be dodged, avoided or mitigated by your enemies. Then the balancing brackets would be more accurate as DoTs miss all the time, so sustained damage dealers would get a true output fitting for their bracket.

• 3 months later...
Sniper issues in PvP aren't DPS related, they're survival. If our set bonus(es) reduced Shield Probe's CD by 8 seconds and made it heal us for 5% of our maximum health when it collapsed, that would go along way towards helping sniper issues there.

The sniper survivability problem isn't lacking a 5% heal. That will buff snipers in raids, but do little for PvP. Small heals on a short timer are a raid utility.

It's lacking a button to make enemies unfocus you. When a Sorc pops their magic shield, you don't touch them, it's pointless. When other classes pop their reflect, you either stop shooting, or hurt yourself. When stealthers go stealth, you have no choice.

Currently, for all Sniper defensives, the correct enemy response is the same: put more bullets in them!

So, Sniper defenses are great for PvE, where enemies are dumb and deal prescribed damage. They suck for PvP, where you die from focused burst. Snipers need a defensive that prompts the attacker to drop focus.

A powerful but not OP option would be giving Countermeasures a very brief stealth effect, similar to Maras. Since that would be too powerful, how about limiting it to Imperial Preparation? "First Countermeasures within 15 seconds of activating Imperial preparation will grant 4 seconds of stealth".

Something very modest, almost a carbon copy of Merc 4-pc set bonus, would be reducing Evasion's CD by 15 seconds and buffing it by 2 seconds (move that out of utilities).

But Mercs have three lives already, that's enough for them. Evasion's real problem, aside from short duration, is only applying to melee/ranged. It's the only DCD snipers have that at least calls for some momentary change in enemy tactics, but really just some. Making Evasion work on all attacks would be better. There are already two utilities that do that, one for snipers, one for ops - so the problem is known. It should be addressed straight on, by removing the melee/ranged limitation altogether, from the start. With all the powerful defensives other classes got, snipers need that to compete in PvP.

Edited by Heal-To-Full

• 1 month later...

Lets take into account that everyone and their mothers brother has reflect. Mercs have 4 life bars and if you drop an ambush at the same time you get hit with a Heatseeking missile and unload while the 50 mercs running around focus you.. or the merc , jug sin sorc combo. yeah, you arent getting through that.

How about this.

Give us an ability that either penetrates through a reflect, or that takes into an account that a Sniper is dedicated to accurracy and calculates ambush to Not reflect straight back at them. Call it , calculated risk, or something./

I agree with Snipers having a stealth out, like maras or sents. real life snipers are all about camouflage so why not give us something.. It could be something like this

Once you have 30 stacks of awareness , you can trigger Snipers Hide to simulate that a sniper would have been using the terrain around and located a hidden cubby which, much like a real snipes , once you take that shot your position is divulged. a snipes couldnt spam it. hell, you could make it the 7th slot bonus. as in you could ONLY have it if you had all 7 pieces.

What gets me most , is there is a running joke.. "What update is complete without a sniper Nerf? " and its absolutely true.

you devs are caving to the idea that a 2% increase in health over 20 secs is TOO OP, yet its only usable at minimum every 2.5 mins. and I have to use 2 utility points to make it worth a damn . yet a merc/commandoes have ACTUAL self heals, and reflect AND Flaming shields AND 60% life Gain AND a rocket out that resets if they take damage after the 1st jump. and alllllll The While EVERYONE has the same range as a SNIPER. force users can throw a rock as far as a sniper can shoot a damn rifle... ACCURATELY. really?

Orbital strike is a Joke.. a Grenade can do more damage... Really? a grenade can do more damage than a series of Blasts from an orbiting battle cruiser..?

here's my main complaint about snipes , the majority of our utilities are garbage.. WHOOAA you say?

think about it. accuracy reduction? who really uses accuracy in pvp? pve bosses and Npcs dont either.. so whats it really doing?

2. all the trash slows that people just run right through. and everything seems to cleanse it . so how about we get a solid ROOT. call it double jeopardy. if they cleanse a slow, the get rooted for a short period. as everything we do worth a damn requires we be in cover , we get kited to death by everyone else that has SOLID shoot on the move utilities.. we have to take a utility to get 4 shots.... that have a timer.. and wear off.

in the end youve coddled every other class so much and us snipers have gotten so used to playing through nerfs, that when the stats are actually level . we smoke people and make a difference in ops. right now, snipes are garbage in ops. why, No real shoot on the move thats worth a damn and we have cast times that are ridiculous to be able to get off our aoes to put some kind of damage on a boss while we get out of puddle after puddle after cone of fire and cone of fire.

How about this.. if you are going to give everyone else an ALL around reflect.. how about giving snipers A directional thats only good during entrench. Those that would complain it lasts too long could be told , well, hit them from the side or back. its only good against 1 enemy attacking from the front. mercs reflect does that AND heals them..

this would make us much more viable in operations as the reflect on a cone of fire would make up for the fact that our dps is garbage as we have to be in cover to use anything..

Come on.. while I like pvp, Id really appreciate being able to be viable in an op instead of having to take my mobile dpsers ..

again .. really , people cry about a limited edition 2% heal when thats our ONLY heal and it on a 2.5 min cool down? really?

And for those who complain about a snipe getting a 30 stack converter, lets see, which classes dont even have a raid buff?ohhh thats right. snipes.

Edited by IamPolaris
Raid Buff.