Star Wars technology

Yirkin

I know it is a Star Wars thing but how come in the 3000+ years between the Old Republic and the New Republic, the technology hardly changed or improved at all?

3500 years is a long time if you think about Moore's Law.

Edited by Yirkin

Tech has changed a lot, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced and accurate same with droids especially astromechs.

War technology has changed drastically, you put an Old Republic Fleet up against a single Venator, Star destroyer, or Mon Calamari captial ship the Old Republic Fleet is destroyed.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Tech has changed a lot, this includes but not limited to.

Kolto changing to Bacta

Medical droids becoming more advanced and accurate same with droids especially astromechs.

War technology has changed drastically, you put an Old Republic Fleet up against a single Venator, Star destroyer, or Mon Calamari captial ship the Old Republic Fleet is destroyed.

Yes I must agree that droids would be the biggest thing. Like instead of "How may I serve you?" you get "Ya wanna cup of jo with that?!" And speeders/vehicles have changed much also.

I know it is a Star Wars thing but how come in the 3000+ years between the Old Republic and the New Republic, the technology hardly changed or improved at all?

the real reason is that we want to play in the star wars universe without being confined to the rules and events of the 6 movies and the EU that is around that time.

Having the Old Republic take place 3,000 years before allows the writers and us to experience the Star Wars universe without having to deal with story constraints.

In reality no civilization could go 3,000 years with out so little change. (Unless everyone was immortal because that would basically stop all progression of a society. )

Perhaps it has nothing to do with the Star Wars universe and more to do with how well we can manipulate technology to display our imaginations in the current day vs. 35 years ago when the original movies were released.

the real reason is that we want to play in the star wars universe without being confined to the rules and events of the 6 movies and the EU that is around that time.

Having the Old Republic take place 3,000 years before allows the writers and us to experience the Star Wars universe without having to deal with story constraints.

In reality no civilization could go 3,000 years with out so little change. (Unless everyone was immortal because that would basically stop all progression of a society. )

Lots of people in the Old Republic have metallic cybernetic prosthetics, while Luke's new hand was indistinguishable from a normal one. However I agree with the quoted poster. Though I would add, because this question gets asked about once a month by someone or another, that once you've achieved "hyperspace" and anti matter reactors that destroy planets, how much further can you go? The technological incrimination would be painfully unobvious.

I would argue that, until the 19th Century, the world went 3000 years without huge technological changes.

In some areas its just that there's no room for further advancement, with hyper drive you can go from a core planet(Coruscant) to a rim planet(Tatooine) in less than a Day(Phantom Menace), that really is the apex of travel time. Other than slight advancements in safety and navigation you really can't improve on Hyperspace. They have true AI, to the point that they form personalities and display emotion indistinguishable from sentient life, how do you improve on that? Etc.

Also, look at how durable and normal cutting edge technology is, Han Solo gets a stuttering Falcon to turn on by banging his fast on the console, this is a dammed space ship capable of faster than light travel, think F22 pilots hit their instruments to try and get them to work very often?

Edited by jmjon

correct in the Clone Wars they were able to give battle droids the ability to be affraid and run for their lives...................... great idea..

They still killed jedi and clones throughout the war, besides those were only the B1 battle droids. The super battle droids and droidekas, and magnaguards and a bunch of other CIS droids tore **** apart.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

as other have said, maybe they are at a "peak" technology wise?

aside from that, I like to think that there are bigger cycles that keep this particular galaxy from advancing further than they have; the cycle of peace and war.

we're told of these epic wars that nearly destroy everything. we rarely see the direct aftermath, those 1-200 years afterwards.

no, we're only shown the NEXT part, the part where peace has come to the galaxy and everything has been rebuilt and back to 'normal' - so, maybe those rebuilding periods are major, major set-backs to any kind of advancement?

They still killed jedi and clones throughout the war, besides those were only the B1 battle droids. The super battle droids and droidekas, and magnaguards and a bunch of other CIS droids tore **** apart.

my favorite thing that we learned from Attack of the Clones is that C-3P0 actually is homicidal

When his head gets put on a battledroid and his body gets a battle droid head you would think he would have control of one of them but no he is out there killing jedi.

The way I see it is, they have had this technology already for thousands of years. So they have come to almost all there abilities in technology, theyre is nothing much more to discover, but alot that can be improved on, or changed. I mean you have lightsabers, hyperdrives, cross-galaxy holocroms, and massive giant cities. What else could you ask for?

Edited by Drahh

The way I see it is, they have had this technology already for thousands of years. So they have come to almost all there abilities in technology, theyre is nothing much more to discover, but alot that can be improved on, or changed. I mean you have lightsabers, hyperdrives, cross-galaxy holocroms, and massive giant cities. What else could you ask for?

Nothing really lol, just add and improve on stuff lets take a look for example a Star Destroyer armament compared to a Hammerhead capital ship armament.

-------

Star Destroyer

1. 6 duel heavy turbolaser turrets

2. 2 Dual heavy ion cannons

3. 2 Quad heavy turbolasers

4. 3 triple medium turbolasers

5. 2 medium turbolasers

6. 60 Taim & Bak XX-9 heavy turbolaser cannons

7. 60 Borstel NK-7 ion cannons

Total armament: 135 cannons

-----

Hammerhead

1. 4 dual heavy turbolasers

2. 2 turbolasers

3. 2 quad cannons

Total armament: 8 cannons

------

Ok so this means in order to even match a Star Destroyer in combat, the Old Republic fleet would need to consist of (if my math is correct) 16 Hammerhead Cruisers in order to even match a Star Destroyer's firepower.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The last century or so has made us think that technology moves at a rapid rate, but that's only a recent phenomenon, and really it's because we're in a transitional stage.

Starting with the Ancient Egyptians, technology really stayed the same on earth for almost 4500 years. Someone in the late middle ages (1400 AD) had the same basic technology as someone from ancient Egypt in 3100 BC.

Star Wars likely had a boom thousands of years before TOR, with the advent of faster than light travel. After that, technology most likely plateaued. I mean, humanity went over 4000 years without any major advances. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Star Wars tech would stay basically the same for that amount of time.

That said, the real reason was covered already. It's so we can adventure in the Star Wars universe without being bound to the story elements of the movies.

Edited by Vecke

The last century or so has made us think that technology moves at a rapid rate, but that's only a recent phenomenon, and really it's because we're in a transitional stage.

Starting with the Ancient Egyptians, technology really stayed the same on earth for almost 4500 years. Someone in the late middle ages (1400 AD) had the same basic technology as someone from ancient Egypt in 3100 BC.

Star Wars likely had a boom thousands of years before TOR, with the advent of faster than light travel. After that, technology most likely plateaued. I mean, humanity went over 4000 years without any major advances. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Star Wars tech would stay basically the same for that amount of time.

That said, the real reason was covered already. It's so we can adventure in the Star Wars universe without being bound to the story elements of the movies.

This. Technology eventually reaches a level where our current understanding cannot improve it, and there it stays until someone discovers a small way to improve productivity or a new way of interpreting the data that gives it room for improvement. Batteries are a good example imo, heard there was a new breakthrough on lithium's storage capacity recently. /shrug