Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STL-Phantom

They have been working on SWG EMU for 4++ years. It will take atleast 2+ years untill they are at the same level as SWG was. But thats mostly becouse they are making their own engine, readding all the stats for everything. And they are giving players the jump to lightspeed expansion (without the crap just the space fights and ships etc). I tried it a few years ago. They still have some classes that are not working at all last time i checked (5ish months ago). They are not getting payed ie, it takes the time it takes.

So SWGEMU is in alpha/beta phase atm. But you can play, just dont expect it to be 100% of the old swg since not everything is added.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then why in gods name are you not playing it right now?? This makes no sense to me SWG EMU it's just how you remember it.

It's like people are saying "Man I realy love Chocolate ice cream from Dairy Queen but Dairy Queen isn't around any more" meanwhile there is a Dariy Queen right down the street giving out free chocolate ice cream.

http://site.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

there it is free to play go enjoy

It's not the same. I liked the game the way it was when it died. I want that back. The EMU has more bugs than the regular did, and they will never be able to get the code the way they want it(the way it actually was). I may give in and give it a try one day, but that day is not today. I am not saying I dont like TOR because I love playing it. I will do my best to adapt to TOR and be good in it as well. And thanks alot for making me want DQ now. :rod_cool_p:

SWG never had atmospheric flight and for it's time, the graphics were amazing.

I agree with the other sentiments.

I was told (not confirmed) that at the very end they enabled atmospheric flight. Especially to battle the star destroyers that the devs brought in before shutting off the servers.

I was told (not confirmed) that at the very end they enabled atmospheric flight. Especially to battle the star destroyers that the devs brought in before shutting off the servers.

Yes atmospheric flight was among the last couple of updates. I did not like it very much. Seemed buggy and you weren't able to one-shot instantly disintegrate players on the ground.

When SWG first came out. I loved it. It always had a lot of things to do. You could do it the way you wanted and when you wanted to do it. Now I didnt stop playing SWG until after EQ2 came out and I was starting to lose all respect for SWG.

As for SWTOR, it's a bit too structured, but I like a lot structure when i first start playing a game becuz I'm a slow learner. In a year I might still be wondering where I get my first speeder (j/k). But even so, when I get further into the game, I might not like how structured it is.

But as if SWG was still going strong, I would prolly still pick SWTOR.

Galaxies had some of the coolest MMO features youll ever see that worked very well. I hope Bioware aspires to get at that level for the side features ONLY (traveling, player cities, open world). The gameplay was not that great (bad by todays standards) and I will not miss that.

The bolded words never once in history went together.

Galaxies for the overall win. This game has nothing like the social and fun that galaxies had.

Being able to pretty much choose what youre character could do was brilliant with so many variants to try. Also player buildings and cities were great. I spent so long collecting and decorating buildings. (managed to finally get the elusive bacta tank too).

This is a great game but you seem railroaded into where you can go and what you can do etc. Skill trees are limited and the crafting system is nothing compared to swgs.

I will keep playing this but if they ever released swg as it was pre-cu Id be on it like a shot . I played from basically the 1st week until the last day on and off.

At the moment, Galaxies is the best.

BUT, I do think there's room for improvement in TOR, there needs to be a lot, but it can get better.

After 5 - 6 years of SWG (not including the NGE or Combat Upgrades), it had so much 'right'. There was so much questing, crafting, grouping to be done, there was always something to do and to head in game for.

At the moment, I feel that TOR is a single player game, with a grind, with not much of the MMO side of it. I've rarely grouped and I've tried crafting, but got bored, so I just level up.

But that again, what will TOR be like in 5 years time? (If it goes that long...just saying).

SWG crafting was like nothing ever seen.

Never mind cookie cutter templates.

Never mind forced end game gear paths that involve raiding.

It was you, your good relationship with suppliers of the best harvested materials (players that lived and died in the aim of resource excellence), your crafting station, time, effort, and perseverance..

You could become famous on your server for producing weapons like no other.

Complete one offs

Unique.

Never mind walking around with a raid gained Lore named item (Thrall's left bollock) People were struting around with a weapon with your name on it. that only you could make..

People were examining you and going "omg dude, you have one of xyz's Punchers!"

xyz was you!!! you called it Puncher and made it famous..!

Though experimentation, the more effort you put in, the better the weapon was.

Hard working crafter we able to produce weapons so powerful, the dev's had to admit, they had no idea such results were possible..

I'm sure other folks out there can cover resources in detail.. and detailed it was.... Resource shifts (spawns) tracking the perfect copper (from the 15 different types) for weeks across different worlds.

Turning up at your gatherer and freaking because overnight a 1 in million chance had occurred. That perfect metal had resource shifted under your gathering spot.

There's no comparison to WOW or TOR as far as crafting in SWG pre NGE.

Edited by Dethrone

The community was better on SWG

The gear was better on SWG

There was more classes

Player cities, houses, bases.

No hand holding

Space combat was better

World PVP was better

Crafting was better.

and many more things.

There was lots of naff things as well....

This game is still great though!

Edited by Sumire

SWG was better by far. Sure it had its flaws, but it gave me more freedom than any other MMO barring UO. In comparison TOR is linear and on rails, much more limited.

Don't get me wrong, I love TOR and am here to stay. I just wish that it had even a fraction of the freedom that SWG's sandbox environment offered me.

SWG = Sandbox = Player controlled stories, content, and gameplay. All open world PvP, player controlled economy, player controlled cities. The questing system was lacking and not very engaging, more of a grind style game, but very open ended. It had the best crafting system in game to date, totally player controlled. More open ended space combat. Actually flying, not on rails.

SW:TOR = Theme Park = Less player controlled stories but a more robust questing system and story line, a semi-player controlled economy, lack luster crafting system, instanced PvP, minimal open world PvP. Less grind style more story driven. Not as open ended, more linear. On rails space combat.

I loved SWG and am really loving TOR as well.

It's not like comparing Call of Duty to Battlefield, those games are so similar it is easy to compare. SWG and TOR are so different in concept not sure how you can compare.

Edited by Lividcalm

SWG allowed great player customizing. Other than Race or Sex you could change your character's looks whenever you felt like it. Just find an Entertainer with Image Designer skills. Sure the graphics weren't great, but the crafting was second to none.

Still my dream game would be SWG-Pre CU with Age of Conan graphics engine. Now THAT my freinds would be an awesome game.

Edited by mrozanski

Well TOR?

No Space Combat as such , what it has is really crap and i mean total garbage so no go there.

The worst PvP ever.

So if Galaxies had these two then it must be better lol

No idea though never played Galaxies.

Well TOR?

No Space Combat as such , what it has is really crap and i mean total garbage so no go there.

The worst PvP ever.

So if Galaxies had these two then it must be better lol

No idea though never played Galaxies.

SWG had no space combat at all on release..it was brought in in an expansion. So in that comparison then, SWTOR has it beat.

Edited by Jadedfate

The crafting and resources were well implemented in SWG. Nothing like discovering the best X material in 2 years and racing to get the best location and plant harvesters. I did find the harvesting to be a bit dreary at times. I had 7-8 friends who let me log in and use their spare lots to harvest. Moving the whole fleet could take a few hours to accomplish.

Being able to really customize your craft was brilliant. Brand names were established. You could be a discount bin vendor selling cheap quality crap or be the best of the best spending tons of credits for the best materials and turning around and making a ridiculous profit based on your name.

Level-based is where the market is at. The skill point system was fun but the sand-box style of the game took away a huge market share. The systems were good, but content was mostly player generated through our imaginations and resourcefullness. Such a thing is not sustainable in the age of "I want it now".

Good potential was what SWG had. All it needed was more content to solidify it and for it not to fall prey to the WoW juggernaut and try to be level based. Even without the NGE/CU changes, they would've ended up dwindling eventually.