Pay2Win Space Missions ???

Dirtyshadow

Yeah internet rumours always turn out to be true:rolleyes:

I don't know how much EA involvement is going on there, I did note that several of the newer videos I've watched for TSW has the dreaded EA logo pop up first before the FunCom logo.

I'm sure it's not all wine & roses there but at least they are being upfront by offering the game in a B2P model instead of whatever kind of dumb, inbred F2P system you would describe this game's model as.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are people still complaining about this every singe piece of space gear is available from the gtn or fleet vendor you do not have to pay a dime to get the grade 7 equipment and the people saying the jump from grade 5-7 was forced on use to pay for this stuff well there is actually artifact equipment that you can buy past grade 5 which probably would be considered grade 6

are people still complaining about this every singe piece of space gear is available from the gtn or fleet vendor you do not have to pay a dime to get the grade 7 equipment and the people saying the jump from grade 5-7 was forced on use to pay for this stuff well there is actually artifact equipment that you can buy past grade 5 which probably would be considered grade 6

No, we are not, well at least I am not. What we(I) are(am) complaining about is Schubert's response comment and what it means to the future. He makes it sound like the game is going to become pay to win for PvE and/or PvP. That is what is causing the uproar.

There's so much being discussed in this thread that it is hard to separate it. I don't think there is anyone here that isn't aware of what you just pointed out though. It's alot more complicated than that.

I don't get some of these people defending the angle that this is okay for these reasons:

1) It's not Pay To Win because you're not actually winning.

If they sold top end PvP gear on the CC Market, it doesn't guarantee you'll win right? In fact, you could end up losing every time you set foot in a WZ, but I'm pretty sure most people would consider this P2W as you're basically buying gear that usually takes in-game effort to obtain (effort by PvP'ing, effort to obtain the crafting mats, effort to buy items off the GTN by obtaining the credits necessary).

2) It's not Pay to Win because you're not directly competing against anyone

If they didn't sell PvP gear, but sold PvE gear, that's not directly competing against someone else. You're grouped with other people in a combined effort to down a scripted AI boss. You can say you're competing against others for "Server 1st" or "World 1st", but all this gear does is help you to down content faster. But that's exactly what the ship upgrades do. They help you complete those new missions faster and more easily which enables you to obtain credits and commendations.

3) It's a mini-game so doesn't impact anything else in the game

Please see by last item in #2. Because you obtain credits, comms that can buy crafting mats via the boxes, and BH comms for doing weekly quests you are now being rewarded with things beyond the scope of the mini-game... and because those new ship upgrades help you do it faster and more easily... it boils down to the fact that you're buying upgrades that help you obtain gear faster and more easily.

4) What does it matter to you?

Because buying gear with real life money circumvents the spirit of the MMO community. Before the CC Market everyone was obtaining their gear by effort in the game. Whether they spent time by raiding, doing Daily and Weekly Missions, doing quests to earn in-game credits to then buy the mats and gear, doing the space missions to earn comms to obtain crafting mats... all of these systems are in place meaning that the person is putting their effort into this game and time in this game.

When someone opens up their wallet, whips out their credit card, and buys those items on the Market they circumvent any in-game effort. They are buying their way to end-game items w/out making any in-game effort. That is at the very heart of Pay To Win.

I have to disagree with you

Say I'm a new sub

I get my ship, I buy this new set.

I get loads of easy xp and cash by facerolling space missions with the best gear in the game.

how exactly is that not pay to win?

Sorry but they not only dropped the ball on this one, they spiked it in their own endzone.

If this trend continues I won't keep playing.

I have to disagree with you

Say I'm a new sub

I get my ship, I buy this new set.

I get loads of easy xp and cash by facerolling space missions with the best gear in the game.

how exactly is that not pay to win?

Sorry but they not only dropped the ball on this one, they spiked it in their own endzone.

If this trend continues I won't keep playing.

It's level 50 gear so you can't do that.

The point is you can buy the very best ship parts with the best stats in the game on the Cartel Market and thats pay to win.

You also need all them ship parts to even have a chance at the new space missions.

Acutally u can only buy 5-6 pieces of grade 7 from the fleet vendor and 1 or 2, if i aint mistaken, of those 5-6 is/are schematics wich if u arent a cybertech u cant really use them since u cant craft them.

Pieces on vendor are beeing bought by CC and put on GTN on sell for ingame currency, its the same thing than buying it on the CC itself.

Edited by Kophar

So has anyone else canceled there sub over this like I have?

1.No...My Mother and Father taught me to think for myself and avoid the herd mentality.

2. Because he who shall not be named....Gave me free will. ( and its not Lord Voldemort )

So if it was actual gear, would this still apply?

If it were actual top tier endgame gear, it wouldn't even be a question for me. Why bother playing a game in which the best (only?) reward in game is available for sale before you even attempt to run the missions that reward it?

I...I don't know what to say...

All those times I posted about SW:ToR inevitably failing because WoW was the elephant in the room.

"No, SWTOR will kill WoW! You'll see."

I just feel a sense of...Its a bitter sweet victory.

Bitter in the sense that I can not gloat to all of the fanboys whom I flamed during early release. Though if you're out

there. Yeah. Good work. You're the Republicans of the MMO universe, and this game was your Romney. Good job!

Now. I'm off back to the Mists of Obama.

I...I don't know what to say...

All those times I posted about SW:ToR inevitably failing because WoW was the elephant in the room.

"No, SWTOR will kill WoW! You'll see."

I just feel a sense of...Its a bitter sweet victory.

Bitter in the sense that I can not gloat to all of the fanboys whom I flamed during early release. Though if you're out

there. Yeah. Good work. You're the Republicans of the MMO universe, and this game was your Romney. Good job!

Now. I'm off back to the Mists of Obama.

It's pretty disturbing you get off on this situation.

There's a significant population of people here who never played, compared, or wished this game would hurt WoW in any way (I would fall into all 3 categories).

The Fanboys will undoubtably ride this ship to the bottom of the ocean so your gloating isn't going to be pertinent to them until the plug is pulled sometime far in the future.

Edited by DAMossimo
grammar

1.No...My Mother and Father taught me to think for myself and avoid the herd mentality.

2. Because he who shall not be named....Gave me free will. ( and its not Lord Voldemort )

I was about to say- that doesn't sound like the Voldemort I know. :D

But ya- it's not really p2w- you can do a few days worth of dailies and just buy the space items with credits.

So if it was actual gear, would this still apply?

If you cannot get the gear in any way apart from buying it on the CM then I would say that is P2W.

However I would not be in favour of putting top end PVE/PVP gear (which I will never have because I don't raid in this game) on the CM because of the impact on crafting.

realy? 85 pages of people crying about space missions? And lol@pay2win for space missions...Why not just come out and say hey im a crafter and im pissed that some one can spend 5 bucks on the CC to buy a pack of parts when the market is in the millions for just 1 item. After all thats why you are crying aint it? Edited by buttjammerrump

Hi everyone,

I've spoken to the design team about the issue of Grade 7 ship upgrades and the cost in game (resources and time) versus the cost on the Cartel Market, since this concern was raised by a number of people on our forums.

Our Lead Designer for the game, Damion Schubert, has this to say:

Unfortunately, there is, in fact, a great disparity between these two costs. We want to apologize for this, as there was a miscommunication internally on how valuable these upgrades were, how challenging they should be to earn, and how fast a player should be able to earn them.

A miscommunication you say?

For the sake of argument let's say a casual player has a single level 50 toon... they don't belong to a raiding guild... and have enough time to play the game for roughly two hours a day. I'd say that definition of "casual" is more than generous.

It's a foregone conclusion that a casual player is required to have Grade 7 to succeed at these missions.

Grade 7 will cost you exactly 300k credits, 1500 Fleet Comms and 300 Daily Comms to get all the non-schematic parts.

Our player earns roughly 200k credits per day doing space missions and Section X. He also earns a maximum of 100 fleet comms per day over an hour and 10 minutes of space missions (assuming he completes all of the bonuses and does not fail at any point). Due to the 16 daily comms from Section X and the two-hour or so time limit, Black Hole, Belsavis, and Illum are no longer worth doing. That means at minimum it will take him 17 straight days of grinding in order to earn all the non-schematic components.

Even if we assume his toon is a Cybertech capable of learning the two schematics... they both require another 700 comms, each, to buy, which means another 14 days of grinding... and to craft them requires enriched durasteel, molecular stabilizers, and other materials he does not have access to as a non-raider. So the most expedient method would be to use his leftover earnings from the previous seventeen days to buy them from the GTN, where he might get lucky and spend just over a million for both of them.

OR

He can shell out the real money to purchase the upgrade bundle from the Cartel market and have everything he needs in before he even starts playing on the first day.

Let's also remember that his all of his play time is completely consumed by grinding for space ship parts... and every day he gets bored and decides to do something else only increases the time it will take to finish.

Miscommunication is a pretty massive understatement here.

It would probably be much easier to just say you done ****ed up. Hard.

We are currently looking at solutions that cause the least amount of frustration for all players affected, while keeping the integrity of both the Cartel Market and the game intact.

It is not our intent to make the Cartel Market the “way to play" the game—we want you to feel that both the Cartel Market and earning gear in game are viable options as far as value goes, neither being far more efficient or effective than the other.

We truly hope you enjoy the challenge of the new Heroic Space Missions and apologize again for what we hope is a small distraction.

I want to reiterate that we are actively looking at solutions and they will be communicated to you as soon as we have a solid plan.[/i]

Thank you for your patience.

The problems as they stand are currently as follows:

1. The player who shells out the money can begin completing the new Heroic Space missions right away. Which gives them another source of Black Hole comms. Which means they get gear for PvE faster than someone who doesn't. This is "Pay to Win" in every sense of the phrase. You are deluding yourself if you can't see this.

2. Assuming you have an expert knowledge of the space space combat system and know all it's ins and outs and can effectively memorize the best order and locations to use spaceship abilities... the new missions are still extremely difficult without the new upgrades. To everyone else they are a complete curb-stomp in favor of the computer, requiring a solid month of dedicated work before you can even attempt them.

3. To even suggest that doing the proposed grind is supposed to be in any way comparable to the Cartel Market is insulting in the extreme. The market instantly eliminates four weeks of work with a click of the button. Even if it eliminated only one week of work it would still be a no-brainer if you wanted to do the new missions. This whole situation is a blatant cash grab on your part. A shameless attempt to coerce people who already subscribe to this game to buy Cartel Coins. Sitting there saying, "Oops", and trying to pretend it was an internal misunderstanding only makes things worse.

A miscommunication you say?

For the sake of argument let's say a casual player has a single level 50 toon... they don't belong to a raiding guild... and have enough time to play the game for roughly two hours a day. I'd say that definition of "casual" is more than generous.

It's a foregone conclusion that a casual player is required to have Grade 7 to succeed at these missions.

Grade 7 will cost you exactly 300k credits, 1500 Fleet Comms and 300 Daily Comms to get all the non-schematic parts.

Our player earns roughly 200k credits per day doing space missions and Section X. He also earns a maximum of 100 fleet comms per day over an hour and 10 minutes of space missions (assuming he completes all of the bonuses and does not fail at any point). Due to the 16 daily comms from Section X and the two-hour or so time limit, Black Hole, Belsavis, and Illum are no longer worth doing. That means at minimum it will take him 17 straight days of grinding in order to earn all the non-schematic components.

Even if we assume his toon is a Cybertech capable of learning the two schematics... they both require another 700 comms, each, to buy, which means another 14 days of grinding... and to craft them requires enriched durasteel, molecular stabilizers, and other materials he does not have access to as a non-raider. So the most expedient method would be to use his leftover earnings from the previous seventeen days to buy them from the GTN, where he might get lucky and spend just over a million for both of them.

OR

He can shell out the real money to purchase the upgrade bundle from the Cartel market and have everything he needs in before he even starts playing on the first day.

Let's also remember that his all of his play time is completely consumed by grinding for space ship parts... and every day he gets bored and decides to do something else only increases the time it will take to finish.

Miscommunication is a pretty massive understatement here.

It would probably be much easier to just say you done ****ed up. Hard.

The problems as they stand are currently as follows:

1. The player who shells out the money can begin completing the new Heroic Space missions right away. Which gives them another source of Black Hole comms. Which means they get gear for PvE faster than someone who doesn't. This is "Pay to Win" in every sense of the phrase. You are deluding yourself if you can't see this.

2. Assuming you have an expert knowledge of the space space combat system and know all it's ins and outs and can effectively memorize the best order and locations to use spaceship abilities... the new missions are still extremely difficult without the new upgrades. To everyone else they are a complete curb-stomp in favor of the computer, requiring a solid month of dedicated work before you can even attempt them.

3. To even suggest that doing the proposed grind is supposed to be in any way comparable to the Cartel Market is insulting in the extreme. The market instantly eliminates four weeks of work with a click of the button. Even if it eliminated only one week of work it would still be a no-brainer if you wanted to do the new missions. This whole situation is a blatant cash grab on your part. A shameless attempt to coerce people who already subscribe to this game to buy Cartel Coins. Sitting there saying, "Oops", and trying to pretend it was an internal misunderstanding only makes things worse.

Great post it sums up everything thats wrong with the new pay to win items on the Cartel Market.

It is absolutely about the integrity of the game, and I love how you have quoted just about everything I posted in the last couple pages except where I explain to you how it does in fact ruin the game's integrity. Bury your head in the sand a little more and just keep shouting "ME ME ME ME ME".

If you are making this childish rant as a means of insulting me for being honest about my intent. I can live with that. ;p

Subscribers bailed on this game by the boatload. New content was held as a result and resources redirected. The game was dying a slow death prior to CC. A few of us held on hoping for a revitalization. It came in the form of CC and a decision to move in a different direction rather then let the game go.

New players that enjoy the CC have flocked in. Servers are now as full as I've ever seen them, new content has been released, people are having fun again. The entire industry is slowly exploring this option and moving in that direction. Players, obvious by the numbers, are moving there also. I see no indication that the "integrity" of the game (whatever that may mean to you) is in danger of being soiled because I purchased nine dollars worth of pixels for a single player aspect of the game rather then grind for three months before I had a chance to play that aspect of the game.

If you disagree with what is happening, I can respect that, but you are not being totally honest as to your reasons, because an theory based on that thesis statement would be rather ridiculous.

The key word in all this is "work". I do not pay, or play to "work". This is my down time. I do so to have fun. This grants me the option to do just that regardless of theoretical arguments to the contrary.

That being said, I do agree with you, though I would have stated it in far less words and with far less emotion. They should be balanced to a greater extent. They have stated that they will do so. We shall see.

Why have so many people gotten out their torches and pitchforks?

Being able to buy the Grade 7 ship upgrades is a great time saver, especially for people who don't have 16 hours a day to sit in front of a computer and grind mind-numbingly for the Fleet Comms needed to buy the space gear.

If I am going to spend 16 hours in front of the computer, I want it to be fun, not an arduous task.

If I can bypass the grind in this single-person aspect of the game and get directly into playing the missions, then all the better.

If I can get Black Hole Comms from doing the new missions, then I have yet another way to *earn* the nicer gear which will *help* my fellow teammates when we are raiding.

Some people have lots of time to devote to grinding, but not much currency. Others have lots of currency to devote, but not much time. It's a tradeoff. You do what you enjoy and what fits best for you.

It's not "Pay To Win". What are you "winning"? Is this some sort of competition? As far as I know, outside of PvP we are only competing with ourselves and the NPCs in-game.

Please put away your torches and pitchforks and learn to enjoy yourselves. This is a game. It is a recreation. A *leisure* activity. Calm down and have fun!

Edited by Nehoda_Niux

Why have so many people gotten out their torches and pitchforks?

Being able to buy the Grade 7 ship upgrades is a great time saver, especially for people who don't have 16 hours a day to sit in front of a computer and grind mind-numbingly for the Fleet Comms needed to buy the space gear.

If I am going to spend 16 hours in front of the computer, I want it to be fun, not an arduous task.

If I can bypass the grind in this single-person aspect of the game and get directly into playing the missions, then all the better.

If I can get Black Hole Comms from doing the new missions, then I have yet another way to *earn* the nicer gear which will *help* my fellow teammates when we are raiding.

Some people have lots of time to devote to grinding, but not much currency. Others have lots of currency to devote, but not much time. It's a tradeoff. You do what you enjoy and what fits best for you.

It's not "Pay To Win". What are you "winning"? Is this some sort of competition? As far as I know, outside of PvP we are only competing with ourselves and the NPCs in-game.

Please put away your torches and pitchforks and learn to enjoy yourselves. This is a game. It is a recreation. A *leisure* activity. Calm down and have fun!

What about those that don't have either money or time? Don't you think this system should be good for them as well?