life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

You all are being ridiculous.

This wasn't just "cats and cows". This was a patch that included a new warzone and new tier of PvP gear.

We also recently got 3-4 hours of content in the HK line. Before that we got a new operation and new tier of PvE content.

I mean seriously-- just because there is a lawnmower with Christmas lights on the cartel shop doesn't mean that's *all* there is.

It's a snow blower, duh! :D

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or......

If players simply stopped buying Cartel packs, Bioware would be forced to deliver content worth paying for. The power to end the "Cartel Shop Madness" is in our hands, Bioware is simply a company trying to capitalize on a product. Demand is what is driving the market.

No, they'd simply shut the game down (maybe not entirely, but enough to justify calling the game "dead"). EA believes that people aren't interested in "content worth paying for." This is SW:TOR's second chance, and it if doesn't pan out, the game will go the way of WAR - gutted and left on the wayside. It is also perfectly acceptable for the game to thrive on these packs, as long as some of the profits actually make their way back into the core game.

What we have now is a self-perpetuating cycle of Cartel Shop items merely funding more Cartel Shop items. It's a good strategy for revenue, but not for the long-term enjoyment of players. The system will subsist on a constant influx of new players being nickel-and-dimed to the point of leaving, but having served their purpose.

Edited by CelCawdro

That company is no more. Look at all their recent games just for reference..

aka "I didn't like the ending to ME3 even though the first 99% of the game was universally considered a superior product". This is what is wrong with video game consumers today..

I truly believe no matter if they had content every month or bug free. That the community wouldnt *****. Its a optional choice to buy from the market. I personally see no harm in it. Many of you out there expect way to much. There not perfeft but for godsakes its a videogame. A videogame that is fictional created items in a virtual world. Its not the end of the world if you dont like it. Move on play somthing new or sit and take it for what its worth.

Really? In my experience most MMOs are in the same state SWTOR is in at year one. Scrambling to make content for the impatient masses. In any event, we've gotten plenty of permanent pets, titles, etc. over this year. I have two pets, a jawa, and various titles.

I know that most MMO players live by the Janet Jackson maxim of "What have you done for me lately?" However, we have received plenty of crap that most people I see in game don't even use.

Really? Cause I've played Rift, FFXIV, SWTOR, and GW2 at launch. I dont know about Rift, I didnt play it long enough to see if they had any holiday events.

FFXIV and GW2 however, always have events. GW2 launched in August and had a great event ready 2 months later for Halloween. I dont remember if FFXIV had a Halloween event when it launched in Sept of 2010, but they did have a Christmas event.

Let's not defend EAWare from what this really is. They were too lazy to do an event so they just went for a quick cash grab instead.

We also got a vast amount of new and exciting bugs. Also comparing WoW several years ago is meaningless if you have to compare then you should be comparing to products currently available.

Well I would compare it to The Secret World or Tera Online but then I would be accused of comparing it to inferior products that no one expected to succeed.

edit: And everyone has bugs. Not to keep pounding the WoW drum, but anyone else remember when WoW was down for *weeks*? Yeah at least that never happened here.

Edited by Marak

Blah, I was not too excited for a life day in swg, but atleast the stuff was free. And you got extra quests to collect some of it. Currently the prices for that stuff are ridiculous in the cartel market, and they did not bother to add any ingame celebration... although I am afraid that if they do, they will take the worst of sw-holiday special as their guideline...

I am not a fan of p2skipContent mode nor P2win or pay-for-convince. Keep the crap on there cosmetic only! And really making holiday crap cost CC are you freaking kidding me?! How do you take most of what you got in this game from WoW but leave out 99% of everything they did RIGHT??? Jfc /facepalm Edited by FortunesDemise

Or......

If players simply stopped buying Cartel packs, Bioware would be forced to deliver content worth paying for. The power to end the "Cartel Shop Madness" is in our hands, Bioware is simply a company trying to capitalize on a product. Demand is what is driving the market.

If a smoker simply stopped smoking maybe they won't develop a form of cancer.

Things aren't as easy as they sound. The playerbase has proven that they are addicted to the CM to an extent and that this is most likely the biggest profit gainer in the game.

========================

+1 sub to this thread

So, Life Day is upon us. Currently, in the Cartel Shop, you can buy everything you want for this holiday.

BW, if you are going to implement thing like this in the Cartel Shop then that's GREAT for the the F2Pers and those subbed who wanna spend more money. Good for them ...get that money, BW!

My beef? You're forgetting your subscribers! I should not have to open my wallet for ANYTHING other than my subscription for anything in that game. Having to do so goes back on your 'full access' promise you made to us.

Should I get the Life Day items (and other cartel items) for free? No. But I shouldn't have to buy them for 1 mil + on the GTN either.

BW, you need to fix your system. All I ask is that if you are going to sell stuff on the Cartel Shop, then you also need to make it obtainable through in game work! ESPECIALLY holiday stuff. Create an in game holiday event with missions,fp,ect and allow us to work for this stuff in the game. If I wanna buy that lawn mower with Xmas lights on it then there needs to be an event currency from dailies or something for me to get it.

Sometimes we all make demands that are too crazy and we point the finger at you,BW, for our problems but in this case the only ones being unfair right now is you. Any other argument you could make against it is invalid. I'm a subscriber, more than 15 dollars a month shouldn't have to be required to get anything inside the game. Let us work for this stuff please. That's why we are here. The monthly cartel coins are nice but with the items being implemented every week without a notice on what is coming, it's not logical to think that we are 'saving up'.

Now that I've said that, I hope I haven't missed a post saying a holiday event is coming :p

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

Well, Since the never officially confirmed there would be an event....it's a push.:p

We were told a few weeks ago that there would be an in-game means to get the items and then a few months before that (on a dulfy interview?) it was made out to sound like an event.

I think we got trolled big time or a "Oh...we can't make a small event in time...keep the cartel pack and never mention what we said before" happened.

I will unsub if Bioware continues to shove everything into the Cartel Market without adding fluff items to be earned by game play.

For me, fluff item drops/quests add a break from the monotony of the gear grind.

Why threaten? Simply do it. You can still play the game as a preferred player. :) Social gear, the Legacy system, the various aesthetic shops... all are being neglected at the cost of the Cartel Shop, and that's without mentioning the fact that new facets of gameplay will be forever unexplored because of the ease of the Cartel Shop. SW:TOR affords you the incredible ability to speak with your wallet while still actively playing the game. The trend has been established. You've noted it. Cease to enable it as early as you can.

Edited by CelCawdro

This is a time for giving. EA however prefers the spirit of you giving to them, not them giving to you. Where you see happy people giving gifts to others, all EA can see are the dollar signs in their eyes. But, that's all they ever see anyways. Holidays are just a time to capitalize on that.

Why the after distinction? The first year *includes* launch.

No, simply because content released at launch was made before the release of the game. A year of development begins from the release of a game (SWTOR launched December 20th 2011) and finish to his anniversary (December 20th 2012).

You are saying that if a game is launched with 5000 hours of content but releases 10 hours of content after that for the first year that it is penalized compared to a game that releases 50 hours of content at release and 20 hours of content throughout the first year. Until there is a level cap increase, rendering the release content outdated, then it all counts.

If i launch a game with 5000 hours of content made after 6-7 years of development, obviously you can't release another five thousand in one year. But people expect the same quality of the content you already released.

Cartel Market Shop is not quality content. Class story missions are. You can see they are focusing on the easiest way to earn money: Cartel Market.

I'm sure Bioware was planning this since the beginning of summer and i think that's the reason we got far less quality content. Can't you see where they are heading to?

And KP was not available at launch-- sorry. It came a month after launch.

I said that, and believe me if i say that an entire operation cannot be made in one month. KP was in development during the beta.

And you are including things in Rift Year 2 like that is somehow comparable. SWTOR isn't in Year 2 yet.

I included 2012 too but you can easily look at content released in 2011. SWTOR content turn pale in confront of that.

And sure-- do EQ. EQ had very minimal content within the first year and honestly I wouldn't compare SWTOR to EQ even if it made SWTOR look good. That was an entirely different generation and style of MMOs. Most people hadn't even hit 50 yet within the first year in that game because leveling simply took forever.

That's not an excuse to make new content worthless (Space missions) by releasing real money packs with new ships parts included.

There's a reason if normal equipment cost 200 daily comms and new ship parts cost 500 fleet comms along lots of credits. Think about it.

I got 2 weapons from 1.5 cartel packs for under 100k each. Just wait for the prices to lower or just grind dailies until you have the cash. It's not that hard to get credits.

I understand that grinding credits is a solution but it shouldn't have to be. If I gotta down an end game boss for a chance at a throne or revan robe or something, that'd be totally fine with me. I feel like I should work for items instead of cash grind for them

You don't have to continue with anything, except for perhaps explaining why you're here if the grass is so much greener on the other side.

Sure in terms of quantity RIFT, EQ and LOTRO released a lot. However, to me the quality of that content has been inferior. As such, I'm not playing those games nor am I spending my days on their forums ranting on as to how crappy their updates are.

Meanwhile I'm perfectly enjoying my time in SWTOR, am happy with the quantity of updates and am satisfied with the quality of the updates.

Way too many people are too busy trying to turn every single MMO flavor of the month they hop onto into their direction, rather than just playing a game, seeing if it fits them and if not, move on. It's not all that hard. Just learn to realize that you're not going to enjoy every single MMO out there on the market. Find one which suits you, and stick to it.

As i said, i like the game and, as a person who likes it, i'm worried about the direction SWTOR is following.

Edited by DeadlyConqueror

Why threaten? Simply do it. You can still play the game as a preferred player. :) Social gear, the Legacy system, the various aesthetic shops... all are being neglected at the cost of the Cartel Shop, and that's without mentioning the fact that new facets of gameplay will be forever unexplored because of the ease of the Cartel Shop. SW:TOR affords you the incredible ability to speak with your wallet while still actively playing the game. The trend has been established. You've noted it. Cease to enable it as early as you can.

I guess I haven't given up on Bioware completely, but I'm close due to the Cartel packs and now the Life Day failure. I will unsub, if it continues, and move on to another game.

Or......

Good thing you wrote "deliver" and not "develop", because what's in those packs is a joke and that people are paying money for it just shows how starved and desperate they are for new ways to customize their appearance and experience.

What bugs me most are the prices of the packs and the quality of the items. I see how the prices have to be so high to keep the few new items that they created moderately rare. If the prices were lower, people would buy more packs and the GTN would be flooded even with "super-rare" items. But if there was a larger amount of new items, a larger amount of packs wouldn't impact their rarity quite as much.

I have made two purchases of cartel coins and spent most of them for unlocks like cargo bay tabs, inventory modules, legacy and character perks in order to save credits for better gear. I bought two cartel market chestpieces and, admittedly, a few boxes out of curiosity that netted me speeders for my alts.

I'm pretty sure that I won't spend CCs on any of the new items. I'd sure like to have some of them, and I'd totally go for it if they were obtainable in quests, but the prices are so high that I'm not even tempted to pay real money for them.

Also, I may be wrong, but somehow I doubt that a lot of people can keep up with spending $300 every 6 weeks on new CC items. Purchases will go down.