RP Name Assistance (Sith)

LegarinAntharsus

Hi there,

I'm struggling with names here as I really prefer to adhere to the lore as carefully as I can. I'd like to create a Sith Warrior with the name 'Malevolus' and I wanted to get the opinion of the "hive mind" so to speak.

I thought it sounded appropriately Sith but I'd love to know what you all think. I know that Sith names are typically Latin sounding in nature but I wasn't sure about this one because it's essentially the word malevolous minus the second o.

Anyway, thanks for the consideration.

Darth Maul is a prime example of sith naming weirdness. A Maul is a medieval sledgehammer, so his name is a (common?) english word.

On the other hand it seems that changing you name upon becoming a sith isn't common in the SWTOR era...

This is a hard one, because Sith names are not consistent across the lore. In the movies, some Sith Lords have names that share roots with, or are, common words for shall we say "mean" things. Darth Maul (a weapon, mentioned above), Darth Sidious (from the word "insidious"), Darth Tyrannus (from the word "Tyrant"), Darth Plageious (I assume from "plague"). On the other hand you have Darth Vader, whose name means "dark father" in Dutch or German or something, where the word "Vader" has no English meaning. In the movies, the Darth names are all completely made up, aliases if you will, of other people. So the real name of Darth Tyrannus is "Count Dooku," and of Darth Vader is "Anakin Skywalker." If you follow this line of Sith naming, then your character's name at level 1 starting out would not be his Darth name, but would be something more "normal" or usual, like "Han" or "Luke." You'd become "Darth Something" later.

On the other hand, in some of the other lore, such as the KOTOR game, Darth seems to be a title added to the existing name of some folks. For example, Darth Revan's original name was Revan... before falling he/she was called "Jedi Revan." The same is true of Darth Malak (original name was just Malak). It is unclear from the game whether Revan was the given name, the surname, or whether Revan had only ONE name (like Chewbacca). Same for Malak. I would guess the Revan novel and other sources clear this up, but in-game, no information on that is given.

So it seems like you have 3 choices. You could take a "regular" name and then your Darth name would be something you "change" your name to later. This would only be in RP, as I am sure the game will not let you change names. You could give yourself a "first name", and take Darth First-name as your name. Or you could give yourself a "last name" and take Darth Surname as your title. It will depend on what you want to do.

I guess that's not really much of an answer... but I have not made up a Sith Lord yet so I am not sure what I will do about this. Probably Darth Surname, just to make it work within the game interface.

Im not 100% on how the names were used in SW Lore but I think, and I must stress THINK that the Sith names were changed from the persons real name when the rule of two was issued. I think before that when the Sith were less secret they used their real names, but now they don't because they are quite covert in the planning.

I names my Marauder Nihilos which deviated from the names I was looking at but I got it from Annihilate, it just popped into my head reading that name over and over. Because I am a Marauder I figured id be a bit of a butcher, I would Maul, Destroy, Bludgeon, Annihilate my enemies so I put these words into a Thesaurus and had a look at all the words which were related and took the ones I liked the sound and feel of most and the translated them from English into Latin and other words and picked words I liked the sound of and then fiddled about until I came up with something a little different to the original word.

So Nihilos is in relation to Annihilate which also shares meanings with Maul, Destroy etc etc. Although looking at the name you would think Nihilus from KOTOR 2 meaning nihilism, but its not. just a happy co-incidence but I really like the name.

Thanks for the input, folks.

I was planning on just having my name be my "given" Sith Lord name so that when I eventually obtain the title of Darth, it will read as Darth Malevolus, or whatever I end up choosing.

That aside, what's the consensus on my chosen name? Good? Bad? Cheesy?

Thanks very much.

Darth Maul is a prime example of sith naming weirdness. A Maul is a medieval sledgehammer, so his name is a (common?) english word.

On the other hand it seems that changing you name upon becoming a sith isn't common in the SWTOR era...

I always assumed it was reference to the verb. Because he's basically Palpatine's chained attack dog.

Indeed it is.

I typically take my Sith names from a Latin word root, and either tweak it until it sounds Star Wars, or use it as it is.

For example. My Sith Warrior is a Sith Pureblood named 'Sceleris', which I didn't have to tweak, the word meaning 'crime, sin, wickedness or evil'. My Sith Assassin is named 'Sicarius', meaning 'dagger-man' (extra points to you if you get the historical reference).

There's a lot of obscure Latin words out there just waiting to be translated into Star Wars. And since English borrows quite a bit from Latin, people can recognize the words on an elemental level even if they don't really know what they mean.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a hard one, because Sith names are not consistent across the lore. In the movies, some Sith Lords have names that share roots with, or are, common words for shall we say "mean" things. Darth Maul (a weapon, mentioned above), Darth Sidious (from the word "insidious"), Darth Tyrannus (from the word "Tyrant"), Darth Plageious (I assume from "plague"). On the other hand you have Darth Vader, whose name means "dark father" in Dutch or German or something, where the word "Vader" has no English meaning. In the movies, the Darth names are all completely made up, aliases if you will, of other people. So the real name of Darth Tyrannus is "Count Dooku," and of Darth Vader is "Anakin Skywalker." If you follow this line of Sith naming, then your character's name at level 1 starting out would not be his Darth name, but would be something more "normal" or usual, like "Han" or "Luke." You'd become "Darth Something" later.

On the other hand, in some of the other lore, such as the KOTOR game, Darth seems to be a title added to the existing name of some folks. For example, Darth Revan's original name was Revan... before falling he/she was called "Jedi Revan." The same is true of Darth Malak (original name was just Malak). It is unclear from the game whether Revan was the given name, the surname, or whether Revan had only ONE name (like Chewbacca). Same for Malak. I would guess the Revan novel and other sources clear this up, but in-game, no information on that is given.

So it seems like you have 3 choices. You could take a "regular" name and then your Darth name would be something you "change" your name to later. This would only be in RP, as I am sure the game will not let you change names. You could give yourself a "first name", and take Darth First-name as your name. Or you could give yourself a "last name" and take Darth Surname as your title. It will depend on what you want to do.

I guess that's not really much of an answer... but I have not made up a Sith Lord yet so I am not sure what I will do about this. Probably Darth Surname, just to make it work within the game interface.

Nerd rage inc: DARTH MALAKS NAME WAS ALEK NOT MALEK BEFORE HE BECAME SITH

on topic, as has been stated, sith names are complicated...that said, i think your idea would be fine for rping, and better than the majority of the Bubba-fetts and Darth(insert 3-7 letter word here)s

To cover confusion with Darth/Lord with names from Movies comparied to Now and KOTOR is simple if you understand when we are playing and HUGE changes to come in Galaxy before movie.

Currently Galactic year of 3653 BBY (BBY = Before Battle of Yavin...aka Death Star 1 destruction..i didnt make up system and personally hate it but..is what it is)

Anyways, in the next 3000 years the Sith WILL be wiped out completely no more Empires. So their Sith names become Mask to hide their Secret/Real identity so they may walk among the Republic and Jedi hidden till time to strike.

So i say Name your Character something decent and felt, Lore in MMO's is always trashed so run with something non normal (aka no John, Sally and Sue). Myself I used Doctor Who names.

Sith Inqu - Lord Koschei

Sith Warr - Lord Rassilon

on topic, as has been stated, sith names are complicated...that said, i think your idea would be fine for rping, and better than the majority of the Bubba-fetts and Darth(insert 3-7 letter word here)s

Yeah, and there is some clues that Revan was not Revans real name either.

Nerd rage inc: ALEK CHANGED HIS NAME INTO MALAK DURING THE MANDALORIAN WARS, WHICH MEANS WHILE HE WAS STILL A JEDI. May have been a fugitive in the eyes of the Jedi Council, but still far from a Darth.

Maybe bioware could allow a 'given' sith name when you reach the title of darth, or maybe a rename token?

My inquisitor is named Samal, which is a twist from Samael, the real name of lucifer in Sandman comics. My legacy name is Karkais, which is a twist from finnish verb 'karkaista', which means 'to harden or strengthen'.

I dont really have any advice for choosing names though. :o

• 1 year later...
Simple. First two or three letters of your real name, then first two or three letters from the town you live in. Easy sith name.

actually you are a bit wrong here...

Revan was not his/her real name, yes he/she went by that as a Jedi but it was something dubbed to him/her. It's short for the Revanchist.

And you are wrong about Malak... his birth name was Alek

• 1 year later...

Not all Force Users upon becoming a Darth change the name they start with. Some do where as others do not.

If you are trying to come up with a colorful name if you want to go down the lines of what most lore characters are but not all is do this.

Take a menacing word or a word that would remind you of something bad. Like Maul for example or Hammer and make a play on it.

One of my characters is named Geno (or Geeno since Geno was taken) and is to be a play on Genocide.

Revan was not his/her real name, yes he/she went by that as a Jedi but it was something dubbed to him/her. It's short for the Revanchist.

Revan—renowned as the Revanchist, honored as the Revan, reviled as Revan the Butcher, dreaded as the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Revan, and praised as the Prodigal Knight—was a Human male who played pivotal roles as both Jedi and Sith in the Mandalorian Wars and the Jedi Civil War. Believed to have been born in the Outer Rim Territories, the man later known as Revan was born around the year 3994 BBY and studied under a number of different Jedi Masters as a Padawan of the Jedi Order.

So far Revan's real name has not been revealed in the novels either.

• 7 months later...

I'm having some issues with good names myself at the moment... ^^

I'm working on a Dark side Jedi Knight (loosely based on Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus in terms of persona).

Here are some of the names I have already used on characters:

Darth Fêrus = Wild/ferocious/savage (Cathar Sith Marauder)

Darth Infernius = Inferno (Rattataki Sith Assassin)

Darth Vindictûs = Vengeance/Revenge (Pureblood Sith Sorcerer)

Darth Solûs = Alone/Only/lone wolf (Human Sith Juggernaut)

Edited by Erik-Gadman

Revan is a he. His face is all around in this game, he's even unmasked in two different istances. That you fantasize about him being a women doens't change that. This is part of the lore and it cannot be discussed. Type "Darth Revan" in google if you don't believe me.

Revan is a he. His face is all around in this game, he's even unmasked in two different istances. That you fantasize about him being a women doens't change that. This is part of the lore and it cannot be discussed. Type "Darth Revan" in google if you don't believe me.

Canon Revan is a he, but the people who refer to Revan as he/she are throwbacks to KOTOR where you could play Revan as either gender.