Gunships Fleeing to Carriers

Korithras

This is a problem, and I'm sick of it. Not only are gunships one of the most OP and unbalanced ships in the game, (sorry but let's face it, the most fun matches have been the ones where there are few or no gunships and it's just pure dogfighting with scouts and strike fighters) but the <insert a number of colorful expletives here> gunship pilots always run for their carrier so that they won't get killed. This needs to stop, and it needs to stop now.

Have the carrier's guns fire on anybody who goes back to the ship, friend or foe. Or have it be so that once you've left the spawning area trying to go back there is like entering the exhaustion zone and counts as a suicide (and in a deathmatch should count as a point to the enemy team to really discourage pilots from doing this) I don't know, but do something Bioware, and do it fast. Because I'm sick of this crap.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Because my ship maneuvers better, any gunship I ever see ever at all should die and have nowhere to run and that would be fun for me and totally fair completely totally."

Signed, Every Bad Sting Pilot

PS: I ran into cap ship turrets today and that was totally not my fault!

Edited by Verain

"Because my ship maneuvers better, any gunship I ever see ever at all should die and have nowhere to run and that would be fun for me and totally fair completely totally."

Signed, Every Bad Sting Pilot

PS: I ran into cap ship turrets today and that was totally not my fault!

^ This

First, I fly every class of ship, so I like to think I have no agenda or bias.

That being said, I do not think the issue here is that a Gunship flees back to a capital ship to evade death. I do it in my Gunship, and I do it Blackbolt too.

In my Blackbolt, fleeing to my capital ship means I survive, but it also means I spend some time not-killing. To resume killing, I have to move out of the area of protection.

The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection. It's a reasonable thing to cry foul over, regardless of whether you have a favorite ship or not. No one should be able to contribute offense while not being at risk of retaliation.

just don't follow them, in deathmatches get your team to move away from the other ship so that team has to go away from their ship if they want kills, and also, it makes no sense if your own ship fires on you, at the most put that screwy afk system that marks you afk while in combat (I have video evidence) and instead apply it to the area at and near capital ships! Seriously, and any ship other than the bomber can outrun a gunship easily, and I have seen other ships use this so stop saying its just gunships!

The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection.

Continue to attack whom? Spawn campers?

My heart bleeds.

If you are near the enemy cap ship, it's either because you have some strange revenge agenda, or because you are dominating them so hard that why not be there? In the first case, no, you shouldn't get to camp the spawn. In the second case, no, you shouldn't get to camp the spawn any better than you already can.

The gunship isn't helping his team on that cap ship, and has no one to shoot. If he has someone to shoot, that person isn't helping his team either, and probably deserves that bypass slug crit.

He isn't 'contributing to offense" by ANY stretch of the imagination.

The issue is that, unlike every other ship, Gunships have enough range that they can continue to attack while in the umbrella of protection. It's a reasonable thing to cry foul over, regardless of whether you have a favorite ship or not. No one should be able to contribute offense while not being at risk of retaliation.

This is not an issue in domination however. The gunship is not nearly close enough to the nodes to do anything, therefore they are not contributing a single bit to offense, if they are firing on ships from the capital ship at that point it means the other team is attempting to spawn cap the gunships team of which is the only possible way a gunship, from a capital ship, can have any kind of offensive capability in a domination match

As for deathmatch, get your team to move away from the capital ship so if the other team is using the capital ship turrets as cover, they will be forced to come out to get you. But anyway, gunships are still a large enough distance from the battle that from the capital ship they are not able to contribute to offense like you say

This. The fact that they can sit in safety and keep on fighting. Either penalize players for flying back to the carrier, or shorten the range on the gunship. Pick one. :p

Added in Edit: Or we could just remove the guns from the spawn carriers altogether. :p

Edited by Korithras

This. The fact that they can sit in safety and keep on fighting. Either penalize players for flying back to the carrier, or shorten the range on the gunship. Pick one. :p

dude, have you not read any of our posts? they can go to the capital ship, far out of range of any nodes, the only enemies they get to fire at are the ones dumb enough to have chased them there, when I see a teammate sitting on the capital ship I yell because they are not useful from that position. and if you are in a deathmatch, just move your whole team away from the capital ship, forcing the other team to have to go after you if they want to continue. Seriously people, saying they can be offensive while sitting on a capital ship far far away from the battle makes no sense in domination, and in death matches easily countered with moving out of range.

I don't think gunships are going to get a range reduction since that is their role as snipers and would defeat the point, Nor are the carriers at fault since nobody should really be going near them anyway and they are able to prevent spawn camping, which would occur if they were disabled.

It should really be the job of team mates to help cumbersome bomber's and gunships with battlescouts and fighters chasing them though rather than the carriers.

finally something reasonable

It is reasonable, as were my suggestions. The reason I hold gunships in such low standing is because they're less playing starfighter than they are shooting ducks at a carnival with the way the ship is designed. Anybody can sit on the outskirt of the fighting and just shoot away, but you need skill to get in there, mix it up, chase down your enemy while evading others, outmaneuvering them and delivering a kill shot.

It is reasonable, as were my suggestions. The reason I hold gunships in such low standing is because they're less playing starfighter than they are shooting ducks at a carnival with the way the ship is designed. Anybody can sit on the outskirt of the fighting and just shoot away, but you need skill to get in there, mix it up, chase down your enemy while evading others, outmaneuvering them and delivering a kill shot.

I don't find nerfing gunship range reasonable though, especially if you are trying to nerf it so they can't be offensive on a capital ship even though they are far out of range of any node, and anyone can avoid them if they get out of range and thereby force the gunship to pursue.

No sorry as a matter of policy I just ignore stupid people who clearly don't know what the point of the discussion is.

ok, arrogance and condescending attitude aside, let me see, believing a gunship at a capital ship is not really offensive considering how far away they are from any objective and are only useful at that area if the other team is spawncamping, yes I am *totally stupid* :p

I don't find nerfing gunship range reasonable though, especially if you are trying to nerf it so they can't be offensive on a capital ship even though they are far out of range of any node, and anyone can avoid them if they get out of range and thereby force the gunship to pursue.

I wasn't suggesting that the gunship be nerfed. I'm suggesting that the system of fleeing to the carriers needs to be nerfed. The point I was making is either there needs to be something to prevent gunship players from retreating to the carrier, a penalty of some sort, or the gunship needs it's range lessened so that they're less-inclined to do it, either way. The point I was making with the question was, which would you rather have happen? Nerf gunships, or see the penalty in place for the cowards who are exploiting a loophole?

Which is, yes. Players shouldn't chase them to the carrier and get killed, and I don't. I see them going for it and I break off. What pisses me off is they don't have the balls to stand and fight. Ever. And it just robs me of kills and wastes everybody's time. It's dishonorable behavior and unsportsmanlike conduct. Which is why I'm calling for this to be addressed.

you say its like its everyone, the way you use ever like that. I never use the capital ship like that, mainly because A: I can easily avoid an oncoming attacker by barrel rolling and doing some close turns near asteroids or something, and B: its not just gunships that do it I see other ships do the same thing. When I am on my strike, I like to scare them and make them run, they really need to look behind them. So what if the runners are cowards? cowardice loses matches and I like to win

ok, arrogance and condescending attitude aside, let me see, believing a gunship at a capital ship is not really offensive considering how far away they are from any objective and are only useful at that area if the other team is spawncamping, yes I am *totally stupid* :p

Yes you are because you clearly only read up to a certain post in what I wrote, and then decided to stop because I insulted your pride. Read the whole thing (and quote it), then respond. Otherwise, yes. Stop talking because you're too stupid to properly debate the issue.

I wasn't suggesting that the gunship be nerfed. I'm suggesting that the system of fleeing to the carriers needs to be nerfed. The point I was making is either there needs to be something to prevent gunship players from retreating to the carrier, a penalty of some sort, or the gunship needs it's range lessened so that they're less-inclined to do it, either way. The point I was making with the question was, which would you rather have happen? Nerf gunships, or see the penalty in place for the cowards who are exploiting a loophole?

penalty, and well I think Zooms suggestion fit that description well, and nerfing gunship range is going to ruin it considering range is their whole bread and butter, and punishes gunships that aren't retreating to capital ship.

Yes you are because you clearly only read up to a certain post in what I wrote, and then decided to stop because I insulted your pride. Read the whole thing (and quote it), then respond. Otherwise, yes. Stop talking because you're too stupid to properly debate the issue.

it was only that size before, then you edited and added more after I had already posted that don't blame me for you going in and editing right after posting

Edited by Sangrar