Sandbox us

Hialot

Very simple! open all planets to all faction, chat also. there is already in game to set weather you recently been exposed to possible threat. stay on the fleet long enough and you no longer attackable.

For all you whiners ************ about being ganked the answer to that also is simple, drop 50 champ npc''s double what is in a curent base. Step away from your base to far and your overt again and attackable.

By doing just as i suggested will explode open world pvp and interaction with all players...

Very simple! open all planets to all faction, chat also. there is already in game to set weather you recently been exposed to possible threat. stay on the fleet long enough and you no longer attackable.

For all you whiners ************ about being ganked the answer to that also is simple, drop 50 champ npc''s double what is in a curent base. Step away from your base to far and your overt again and attackable.

By doing just as i suggested will explode open world pvp and interaction with all players...

Help me understand please. Your suggestion is:

• If you want to play the game, you must PVP.
  • If you don't want to PVP, don't leave your faction base.

Or did I read it wrong?

Edited by TheBBP

Yeah that's really not the Sandbox element I'm thinking would help the game. In fact I really see it hurting more than helping anything.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does making all planets shared faction = sandbox :rak_02::rak_02::rak_02:

I am thinking that the OP wants a pvp "sandbox". Or... He keeps using that word, but I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

This isn't Sandbox, this is obligatory PVP, Sandbox is a description of the engine physics.

Also, you would have level 50 players hunting low level players trying to complete missions every time they moved away from the base, result no level progression, end result no more game.

Better idea, don't implement this suggestion in any way shape or form.

They cannot do this. Look at how laggy the fleet always is... and no one is in combat on the fleet! Bottom line is, when they tried this at the beginning of the game it failed, they realized that the hero engine is not optomized for large scale battles. If everyone would decide to go to one planet, and have a big battle on a planet one day (which would eventually happen) if would slow FPS down extremely for all players (I was getting 2-3 FPS at the western shelf when Ilum had the open world PvP when the game first launched), or servers would crash.

They cannot do this. Look at how laggy the fleet always is... and no one is in combat on the fleet! Bottom line is, when they tried this at the beginning of the game it failed, they realized that the hero engine is not optomized for large scale battles. If everyone would decide to go to one planet, and have a big battle on a planet one day (which would eventually happen) if would slow FPS down extremely for all players (I was getting 2-3 FPS at the western shelf when Ilum had the open world PvP when the game first launched), or servers would crash.

yeah this is not true... ilum was laggy yes but completely playable, people weren't looking for ops group every day because large battles are impossible. there were plenty of full ops and more groups fighting when it was open, kill trading aside it was possible

also during the rakghoul event we had 2 full ops groups fighting pubs in outlaws den to get the WB and a huge battle that started by being attack while fight the infected trapjaw and pushing them back to the base and farming the base so over exaggerating the lag on ilum aside the reason this is a horrible idea has nothing to do with the crappy engine

yeah this is not true... ilum was laggy yes but completely playable, people weren't looking for ops group every day because large battles are impossible. there were plenty of full ops and more groups fighting when it was open, kill trading aside it was possible

also during the rakghoul event we had 2 full ops groups fighting pubs in outlaws den to get the WB and a huge battle that started by being attack while fight the infected trapjaw and pushing them back to the base and farming the base so over exaggerating the lag on ilum aside the reason this is a horrible idea has nothing to do with the crappy engine

I dont know what server you came from, but on my server it was not playable at all.... 2-3 FPS was like watching a slideshow of a battle...

They have said it in the past, the hero engine is not equipped (or made) for large scale battles, they need to get a new, better engine. They got this one because it was cheap... look up some histroy on the hero engine and you will see the only other game in history that has ever used it was an MMO you have probably never heard of, that launched the same year as SWTOR, and closed it doors about 6 months later... and thats it.

We all know this game will most likely never get a new engine, if they did switch they would basically have to build the game from the ground up.

Edited by skiibyrd

Leaving aside the fact that you're just suggesting make more planets have dual faction for PVP and not actually suggesting anything that is typically considered a "sandbox" feature, the suggestion itself doesn't make any sense.

There are no quests for the other factions on starter planets and that's notwithstanding the fact that it would be absurd from a story-standpoint to have a bunch of Sith running around Tython or a bunch of Jedi running around Korriban. Plus, nobody needs open world PVP on starter planets when you have some people just figuring out how to play the game. Same for the Capital Planets. You're going to have a bunch of Empire bases and quests on Coruscant? Come on. Then, you have Balmorra and Taris which are in completely different level ranges with different maps for Repubic and Empire. So you want them to redesign half the planets? Yeah, I'm sure they will get right on that.

Most of the higher level planets are already dual faction and hardly any open world PVP takes place. This is because most PVP'ers on the leveling planets are more interested in speeding through the content to get to max level than they are engaging in open world PVP. Unless you throw a boatload of loot at PVP'ers for engaging in open world PVP, then it's not really going to happen in this game. Even then, most of them will just trade objectives to get the loot because it's faster than actually PVP'ing.

This isn't Sandbox, this is obligatory PVP, Sandbox is a description of the engine physics.

Also, you would have level 50 players hunting low level players trying to complete missions every time they moved away from the base, result no level progression, end result no more game.

Better idea, don't implement this suggestion in any way shape or form.

/Signed.

I am thinking that the OP wants a pvp "sandbox". Or... He keeps using that word, but I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

It doesn't, sandbox is a term meaning that the enviroment is destructable, virtually every element can be destroyed. What he wants is an open play environment, where you can do almost anything as long as the engine allows, ie no rules of conduct. These are two different things, often confused because games using a sandbox engine allow open play to show off the game engine.

If Swtor was open play, then you would destroy the game. High level players would hang around the capital planet hoping at a shot at destroying the opposing government, then they would get bored and start hunting the low level players trying to complete quests. The low level players would get bored at constantly being attack by high level idiots and quit, the populations would quickly dwindle, and the game would be shut down.

It doesn't, sandbox is a term meaning that the enviroment is destructable, virtually every element can be destroyed.

I don't usually like correcting people, as it almost always comes off sounding sanctimonious , but I have to do it in this case: that's not the correct definition of sandbox.

It doesn't, sandbox is a term meaning that the enviroment is destructable, virtually every element can be destroyed. What he wants is an open play environment, where you can do almost anything as long as the engine allows, ie no rules of conduct. These are two different things, often confused because games using a sandbox engine allow open play to show off the game engine.

Seems like 100 people got at least 90 definitions of "sandbox".

To me, a sandbox game - compared to a Themepark game - is offering a player wide freedom in what they want to do, without more than the smallest guide as to where to go. A sandbox game also allows players to create content or at least got large scale reusable content, that groups of players can rely on for months and years.

EVE online for example is a sandbox game, as there are no levels and the main content is letting the players do, what they like, with gigantic areas being completely under player control.

SWG was a sandbox game (prior to NGE) as it was also level-less and allowed players to build own cities and even create quest content for each other.

the main factor of a game being sandbox is by not having an item spiral where the main focus of the game lies in getting equipment in order to get more equipment. As such I personally see sandbox games as more skill based than item based.

Being able to destroy the environment got nothing to do with being sandbox, by my own definition.

Sandbox: players are given agency over the game world. anything goes.

Themepark: the developers dictate what the players can and cannot do.

I much prefer the second gameplay model. Sandbox tends to get real messy, real fast.

Player housing, pazaak, etc...are not sandbox features, per se.

This suggestion would be very effective in making me drop the game faster than a red-hot turd.

There are MMOs with wide open sandbox worlds and world pvp. Please go and play one of those instead of this. SWTOR is a story-driven themepark MMORPG, and thank (insert deity of choice) for that.

Swtor is the exact opposite of a sandbox style game on any level. It's just not designed to be that kind of game.

Also it wouldn't be so simple. First, some planets have entirely different versions and level ranges for different factions.

Second, the generally linear design means there's only on or two paths to take towards any given objective. There would be literally no way to get around the ganking when every planet is filled with choke points and ambush zones.

Edited by WickedDjinn