Assessing reastically TOR impact

Angedechu

As an avid MMO player, I reduced a lot of my playtime of ''the other game'' to go into TOR (1). And I plan to keep to.

But, something must be said, to be realistic, TORists must admit that the ''decline'' of ''the other game'' don't seem to be showing.

I have took five minutes to make a couple of searches on Alexa today. (2)

Wowhead vs Torhead.

Despite WoW current expansions being one year old, despite the introduction of a dungeon journal giving to player information on the loot in a given instance, Torhead is five time less popular in the USA than Wowhead. (3)

SW TOR vs Battle Net

Battle net is four times more used than SW TOR. Period (4)

(1)Why I'm not getting into ''binges'' of playing strategy games,....Civ is like crack to me.

(2)I'm aware of the limites of Alexia.

(3)Torhead interface is not helping on the matter

(4)Of course, battle net includes Starcraft and Diablo

Wowhead vs Torhead.

Despite WoW current expansions being one year old, despite the introduction of a dungeon journal giving to player information on the loot in a given instance, Torhead is five time less popular in the USA than Wowhead.

This means absolutely nothing. All it does is demonstrate that significantly more people play WoW. We knew this. Additionally, you fail to take into consideration the other SWTOR DBs, several of which are utilized by the community and complete well with TORHead.

SW TOR vs Battle Net

Battle net is four times more used than SW TOR. Period ...

... Of course, battle net includes Starcraft and Diablo

Again, the difference in player populations apply.

So what's your point? You've demonstrated something everyone already knew: WoW has a greater player population than SWTOR.

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're poking at. Are you trying to assess the impact TOR had on WoW based on website stats of wiki sites for the two games?

That's what it sounds like to me, but that doesn't really make any sense to me, so I had to question it.

Obviously you're not looking at the subs for these games, and even if you were it doesn't matter. How well TOR is doing isn't a reflection on how bad WoW may be doing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has subs in both games.

Just because I play TOR every night instead of WoW doesn't mean that Blizz doesn’t still have my sub.

I meant that the US, ''Wow is dying'' generates apparently five time more traffic on key sites.

Why I use traffic ? Because it's more open data than subs

Not to mention that if you go on Torhead or Wowhead, chances are good you are currently playing the game.

So, you're trying to compare popularity of the two games, by using websites associated with the games? And then saying WoW is essentially better because it has more usage on said websites? Bad logic is bad.

For a game that's been out for friggen ever, I expect the usage to those websites be higher. And where are you even getting those comparisons from? Don't pull statistics out of no where. Bad statistic taking is bad. And we all know WoW currently has more players. That's not groundbreaking news.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to prove here.

Edited by FireIndy

1)Alexia, as I said

2)About the popularity, well, it's really sobering than in traffic, TOR is between four and five less frequented in the US

Why I took those sites data ? Uh, because I try to find a way to asses popularity ? And that subs can be misleading ?

Edited by Angedechu

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're poking at. Are you trying to assess the impact TOR had on WoW based on website stats of wiki sites for the two games?

That's what it sounds like to me, but that doesn't really make any sense to me, so I had to question it.

Obviously you're not looking at the subs for these games, and even if you were it doesn't matter. How well TOR is doing isn't a reflection on how bad WoW may be doing. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has subs in both games.

Just because I play TOR every night instead of WoW doesn't mean that Blizz doesn’t still have my sub.

like this guy says, noone can judge on this info, i am also subbing to WoW but i aint played in months. i dont have any plans on going back but i can afford to keep it open so i will.

1)Alexia, as I said

2)About the popularity, well, it's really sobering than in traffic, TOR is between four and five less frequented in the US

Why I took those sites data ? Uh, because I try to find a way to asses popularity ? And that subs can be misleading ?

But do you really expect something different? WoW didn't get its millions of subs overnight. And since they have a crap ton of people, then I expect there to be a lot more traffic. For SWTOR, thats been out for a very small amount of time, this is expected.

Still don't know what you're trying to prove. And honestly, who gives a damn about popularity between the two games?

Edited by FireIndy

Why you keep talking of subs ? The idea of using Alexia was to AVOID talking of subs.

This week, I have played a whopping two hours of TOR and four hours of WOW, because I have work and finally bought Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. I'm still subbing

If you sub to WoW and have not play in months, you are still a sub for Blizzard. (BTW, your toons exist even if you are unsubbed)

I meant that the US, ''Wow is dying'' generates apparently five time more traffic on key sites.

Why I use traffic ? Because it's more open data than subs

Not to mention that if you go on Torhead or Wowhead, chances are good you are currently playing the game.

Not to offense, but you're comparing apples to shoes, and you're not making any sense. My advice to you....just bow out of this thread. You won’t convince anyone here that you're logic is right.

Also, you're wrong. I read wikis for games I'm not currently playing. I plan on cancelling my Blizz sub soon as I'm not playing, but will still check WoW sites out to read about kung fu panda in case I may want to try it out. If you're basing your assumptions on this fact, then you need to start over, and try again.

So, you're trying to compare popularity of the two games, by using websites associated with the games? And then saying WoW is essentially better because it has more usage on said websites? Bad logic is bad.

For a game that's been out for friggen ever, I expect the usage to those websites be higher. And where are you even getting those comparisons from? Don't pull statistics out of no where. Bad statistic taking is bad. And we all know WoW currently has more players. That's not groundbreaking news.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to prove here.

No, what she/he is implying is WoW is no where near "dying" as some have posted. A Champion boxed loses one fight and many would say..."he is washed up"....until he comes back and wins 10 fights in a roll.

But do you really expect something different? WoW didn't get its millions of subs overnight. And since they have a crap ton of people, then I expect there to be a lot more traffic. For SWTOR, thats been out for a very small amount of time, this is expected.

Still don't know what you're trying to prove.

Well, if we consider that TOR is brand new, and that TORHEAD shows more way more decline in a month than WOWHEAD in a year...

TORHEAD and WOWHEAD are not ''wikis'', they are database.

Edited by Angedechu

1)Alexia, as I said

You're trying to figure out which game is more popular? Well let's see...WoW has more subs thus is more popular. It's also been out about 100 years, and been featured in many pop culture TV shows.

Again, you're not making any sense. You're just stating common sense stuff that anyone here already knows. It has nothing to do with TOR. Quit posting obvious stuff as if you're formulated a way to measure a games success.

This just in.....water will get you wet! Spread the word as I worked hard on figuring this out.

Not to be rude, but if you want to talk about how WoW isn't dying, why not go to their forums and talk about it? This is the SWTOR forums. And that goes for all people who want to talk about WoW etc like this.

Anyways, Game database traffic != popularity of a game. But that's the point, SWTOR IS brand new. They aren't going to have the playerbase as WoW. I understand that WoW isn't dying, if that's what you're trying to say. But neither is SWTOR. There is no way in heck for SWTOR to have the amount of people playing as WoW does right now. It's not possible.

All in all, you can't judge the popularity of a game based on third party website traffic.

Edited by FireIndy

Hi everyone,

We ask that threads made in General Discussion center on discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. We have closed this thread as the discussion primarily focuses on other games. Please ensure that topics in General Discussion relate to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Thanks!