BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

Dovahbrah

Nope 1 of them(Madalyn) is a guild mate, full time PVPer and a great player all round, the second person in SS is a great player also. .

You doubled his damage. Unless you think that mercs are twice as good as PTs (and there isn't a big enough ROFLCOPTER in the world for that), then he was either AFK, badly geared, or bad. I'll be charitable and say he could have been 'distracted'.

Seriously. I can introduce you a few PTs (along with other classes) that make your damage look very very poor (Boris from Woops on my server springs to mind, but I'm afraid the list is not small).

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w446/bourk11/Screenshot_2013-01-10_23_44_55_790765_zps85de10f8.jpg

Which server do you play on? How busy is it?

Edited by Jherad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope 1 of them(Madalyn) is a guild mate, full time PVPer and a great player all round, the second person in SS is a great player also.

One thing i do get sick of is people picking out a SS and coming up with excuses after they have been proved wrong. I personally go out there every game and have a great game. Im going to start using FRAP's soon and then maybe some of you others can see what your doing wrong.

I don't really think you've proven anyone "wrong" and have obviously shown that you are a capable player. However, I am curious what your damage taken is compared to the others. You were the only person who didn't die, so either you were getting a bunch of healing or you were left to freely dps. Usually I find myself left alone simply because as a class we are not viewed as the same threat that PTs or Marauders can be. For every SS I have seen with a commando/merc doing 700k+ damage I can find dozens with other classes doing twice as much. A skilled player can do OK with this class, but even played to perfection there are other classes which can outperform in almost every matter with much less skill.

Edited by Nitromonger

i would outdamage powertechs all the time on my merc. good ones even, there were only a couple that ever really overshadowed me in damage output.

on my PT tho, ive yet to be outdamaged by a merc. the skill cap is so ridiculously low w/ PT that having played Merc for such a long time makes it massively easy.

if Merc was unable to be interrupted, Arsenal would have beast damage output.

Yeah, as irritable as I know I can be (!!!), I should hope it goes without saying that anyone who can do that kind of damage with a merc/commando is already an exceptional player. That is not in question.

My points are about the relative merits of the class in comparison to others.

Edit: Ninja'd by Cash :D

i would outdamage powertechs all the time on my merc. good ones even, there were only a couple that ever really overshadowed me in damage output.

It's that couple that interest me. The best ones. Is it too much to ask that the best mercs be capable of the same as the best of other classes?

And yes, playing commando makes playing other classes in PvP laughable. I did 500k damage in my first lvl 50 warzone on a sage, in a mixture of recruit and odd WH.

Edited by Jherad

My commando and merc are soon to be fully shelved, after I finish leveling up my PT. Their only use now is to help grind gear faster, so I'll have a full set of min/max gear for the PT when I get it to 50.

Even in 10-49 pvp, the damage the PT can put out is massive and so easy to do. Since lvl 20, I have only been leveling the PT in PVP. Since I started that, I have almost always had top damage in every warzone I play in (the few exceptions being high level smashers, and even then I'm right under them). On average I will put out 100K+ more damage then the next highest person in a wz.

I feel bad putting away my commando and merc, as those are my 2 mains. But until changes are made there is no reason to use them with a PT available to play.

Edit: Ninja'd by Cash :D

It's that couple that interest me. The best ones. Is it too much to ask that the best mercs be capable of the same as the best of other classes?

And yes, playing commando makes playing other classes in PvP laughable. I did 500k damage in my first lvl 50 warzone on a sage, in a mixture of recruit and odd WH.

:cool::D

i think the problem with Merc is that we lose so much more damage while moving, being attacked, etc.

compared to PT, where i *never* have to stop outputting damage as long as there are targets in range.

think about what a Merc has to use when we are on the move. Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Explosive Dart, and either Heatseeker Missiles/Thermal Det. 3 of those are 15s cooldowns, and 2 of them are heavily dependent on being buffed by other abilities that are casted.

you stand still in PvP, you die. Merc is the anti-thesis of that statement

O hello fellow commandos/mercs

What is the consensus on accuracy in pvp?

150 Accuracy(95%)(105%)?

yes

the only attack that uses base accuracy is Rapid Shots. stuff like Rail Shot is a Special Ability, and if you hover over the accuracy stat you will see your "Special Ability Accuracy". its default is 100%. so you only need 5% to negate misses.

keep in mind this only negates "miss". you will still have dodge occasionally, and deflect against jedi/sith with defensive CDs up

I'm uploading a video now from the other night where I broke 900 dps (It looks like about 460k damage over a warzone a little over 8 mins long). Its still a looooong way from coming anywhere close to the output of the real DPS classes.

Which is my point. There are some of the top mercs posting here. You, me, ArchangelLBC, Cash, Skillex (is back I think), Phaser and many more. We represent a wealth of experience, and have beaten the odds in more ways than one. And our damage output is *pitiful* in comparison to the top players from other classes. Forget 900-1000 dps in a warzone. Try 1700. Forget a million damage, try 1.5 million.

I'm honored that you think so but I long since joined the dark side and keep PVP exclusively to my shadow or sentinel, though honestly I don't like the sent very much. I wanna play combat again =(

Still PVP occasionally on my commando just to stay in practice, and the melee classes have definitely helped me do what little I can to make myself more of a nuisance to kill, but commando really is playing PVP on hard mode, except the rewards suck.

I'm honored that you think so but I long since joined the dark side and keep PVP exclusively to my shadow or sentinel, though honestly I don't like the sent very much. I wanna play combat again =(

Still PVP occasionally on my commando just to stay in practice, and the melee classes have definitely helped me do what little I can to make myself more of a nuisance to kill, but commando really is playing PVP on hard mode, except the rewards suck.

PvPing with a commando is like riding a bicycle. A big red bicycle of pain with broken glass on the handlebars and a massive spike for a saddle. You never forget. :p

I recently leveled a merc to see what all the fuss is about. I hit 50 about 3 weeks ago and have played Wz's continuously since picking up about a half set of EWH gear. Here's my take. These guys are absolute killing machines when left alone. I can kill anything foolish enough to stay within 30 meters of me, surprisingly quick. This is the designed mechanic for a merc dps, and from what i see works to perfection. But the key words here are, when left alone. So far im having a very hard time even putting up a decent fight against a good mdps who engages me. IMO there does have to be a drawback to being able to deliver so much damage from range, maybe this is it. However, to be completely overwhelmed by a well played sentinel after blowing every cd, using every trick i can think of, is not a good feeling. Here's a couple tweaks that are not game changers but can add a little more survivability and utility. Give them a cover mechanic that makes them immune to leaps, since it seems like sents and guardians are the bane of our existence. Snipers have it and it is the one reason they can stand there ground. If snipers did not have cover they would be in the same boat as mercs. Also, lower the cd on concussion missile to 1 minute and make it an instant cast. This would actually improve survivability alot. Implement these 2 changes and see what the outcome is.

I know one thing though, damage, dps, and killing ability is definetly not the problem. I am usually at or near the top in all these categories every single warzone.

Sorry if these tweaks were already discussed, didn't have time to read through the countless pages.

(...)Give them a cover mechanic that makes them immune to leaps, since it seems like sents and guardians are the bane of our existence(...) Also, lower the cd on concussion missile to 1 minute and make it an instant cast.

Yep we were going through this few times here. Giving cover mechanics is not at option - it's pointless to copy other class, it's sniper/GS's reward from having medium armor etc...

For a 2nd tweak - old mercs and commandos sure remember - we already had it in the past. It was called electro dart/cryo grenade - 30 m, instant, 4 s hard stun. To this day in secret, underground lab, special group of brightest minds on Earth is trying to investigate what was in head of a guy who thought that RDPS need 10 m stun instead of 30.

Edited by Pefny

:cool::D

i think the problem with Merc is that we lose so much more damage while moving, being attacked, etc.

compared to PT, where i *never* have to stop outputting damage as long as there are targets in range.

think about what a Merc has to use when we are on the move. Rapid Shots, Rail Shot, Explosive Dart, and either Heatseeker Missiles/Thermal Det. 3 of those are 15s cooldowns, and 2 of them are heavily dependent on being buffed by other abilities that are casted.

you stand still in PvP, you die. Merc is the anti-thesis of that statement

that's what i'm sayin.

DPS is not fine, unless you are playing a bunch of n00bs, or have a dominant team where you can sit and cast.

but, that's not REAL PvP!! as most of the skilled players and PvP'rs know, that stuff don't fly in rateds.

in order to be a successful, top tier player, and highly competative you can't sit around.

and, that is the issue w/ mercs and their DPS.

i can do everything while moving on VG. and 30m range doesn't mean anything, when you got jumpers everywhere.

again, we both know that...it's BW that doesn't get it :(

Edited by T-Assassin

that's what i'm sayin.

DPS is not fine, unless you are playing a bunch of n00bs, or have a dominant team where you can sit and cast.

but, that's not REAL PvP!! as most of the skilled players and PvP'rs know, that stuff don't fly in rateds.

in order to be a successful, top tier player, and highly competative you can't sit around.

and, that is the issue w/ mercs and their DPS.

i can do everything while moving on VG. and 30m range doesn't mean anything, when you got jumpers everywhere.

again, we both know that...it's BW that doesn't get it :(

Same goes for Bodyguard Merc

Yep we were going through this few times here. Giving cover mechanics is not at option - it's pointless to copy other class, it's sniper/GS's reward from having medium armor etc...

For a 2nd tweak - old mercs and commandos sure remember - we already had it in the past. It was called electro dart/cryo grenade - 30 m, instant, 4 s hard stun. To this day in secret, underground lab, special group of brightest minds on Earth is trying to investigate what was in head of a guy who thought that RDPS need 10 m stun instead of 30.

Some sort of tactical leap/interrupt immunity is sorely needed for the class. That or just let CB be cast on the move in assault spec, same with full auto (or make CB instant cast in Assault Spec). I think that makes us OP perhaps, but seriously the class needs SOMETHING, and it needs a big something which is why I used capital letters.

Yep, its not hard to notice after almost 100 pages of this thread :) . All I have to say it that BW will never give us cover. Besides I highly doubt that BW gonna giva us something brilliant. I threw towel too - my Commando and Mercenary are on indefinite vacation. Got full WH + 2 EWH on PT and thats it. After some obervation on our server (TOFN) population of PvP'ing mercs/mandos is getting low, which is nice, maybe devs will learn something from that. Edited by Pefny

Go for the dreaded thousand post limit!

Merc design is what holds it back. It's a static caster designed for PvE games. To be honest, it's pvp potential was, and always has been subpar. The 1.2 nerf slapped on devastates pyro mercs that are below 30 pvping, as Muzzle Fluting IS REQUIRED for Power Shot to be useful. This change needs to be peeled out of the tree, and converted to a damage bonus.

Unload is a shadow of an ability compared to other classes when looking at a channel caster class. The arsenal changes made the ability something to recognize and be afraid of, but it's potential for pyro is pathetic relative to it's cast time. The unload benefits should be broken up high and low in Arsenal with Arsenal gaining a clear edge on pyro with this ability.

The mechanic does nothing really well to refund itself in Pyro spec, and Arsenal penalizes the player with long cast times that cannot and do not intimidate leap classes that have multiple interrupt abilities. The rapid nature of heating in this spec has to be cooled through constant applications of railshot. That works wonders on instant cast abilities like flameburst and rocket punch. Not so much on the low potential of power shot and unload. Power shot, when hitting targets suffering from CGC should have a double or 90% chance of recharging the RS on the same 6 second cooldown to increase the reliability of the spec. Thermal Detonator should benefit from the same armor penetration as Unload and Railshot.

The merc has no strong cards to play inside of 10 m to successfully deter or escape an attacker. The knockback is simply pathetic, and once again, the root on rocket punch was a failed design mechanism with it's tendency to break on damage after 2 seconds. . . and it's deep in the arsenal tree anyway. Where is the ability to get out of dodge? It seems like one might be on the way, but its too early to tell.

The heavy armor argument is so old as to be pointless. PvP contains far too many penetration or circumvention mechanics for armor to count for anything more than ornamentation against most assailants. Passive defenses in this game are meaningless compared to active defenses. Activation abilities are truly where a character will survive an onslaught. This cannot and will not change because of the underlying mechanic design of classes. Healers are already too difficult to counter as it is. Adding a mortal strike effect to something the merc has gives this class a stronger utility and allows coordination of kills based on the target. Making it tech means cleansing is more important in the game.

The last time a development response was warranted was 10/31. That's 3 months ago. This portends that the development team has made up its mind, and has started to implement a solution that I doubt will do anything for the merc classes long list of woes.

Edited by Azrienov

The last time a development response was warranted was 10/31. That's 3 months ago. This portends that the development team has made up its mind, and has started to implement a solution that I doubt will do anything for the merc classes long list of woes.

That's the thing that really scares me, we have zero, ZERO, information about what the pvp team is doing, is there even a dedicated pvp team for this game, do they exist?

If yes, what are they doing in their office months after months, because I sure don't see what takes them soooooooooooo long to rework a skill, a skill tree or even an advanced class, and don't tell me it's because they're looking at , how do you call it, "stats graphs"(?) when we, the players, have been screaming like no tomorrow about this.

But, hey, there's a reason why this game dropped from 2 millions subscribers to 500k : a lack of real understanding from the SWTOR team.

Now let's patiently wait about 1.7...

Edited by yoomazir

That's the thing that really scares me, we have zero, ZERO, information about what the pvp team is doing, is there even a dedicated pvp team for this game, do they exist?

If yes, what are they doing in their office months after months, because I sure don't see what takes them soooooooooooo long to rework a skill, a skill tree or even an advanced class, and don't tell me it's because they're looking at , how do you call it, "stats graphs"(?) when we, the players, have been screaming like no tomorrow about this.

But, hey, there's a reason why this game dropped from 2 millions subscribers to 500k : a lack of real understanding from the SWTOR team.

Now let's patiently wait about 1.7...

SURPRISE! we made Heatseeker Missile a 1.5s cast, but increased its damage 10%

inb4 that is what happens and our brains implode :eek::eek::eek::eek:

SURPRISE! we made Heatseeker Missile a 1.5s cast, but increased its damage 10%

inb4 that is what happens and our brains implode :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That would just be such a non-surprise.

Honestly, the biggest W.T.F. moment at this point would be if we got some kind of net improvement. A major buff would probably blow my mind.

Edited by Jherad

That would just be such a non-surprise.

Honestly, the biggest W.T.F. moment at this point would be if we got some kind of net improvement. A major buff would probably blow my mind.

how hilarious would it be if they just went and made TM/GR and PS/CB instant? least amount of work for the largest buff.