Light Side Sith: Anti-Villain?

RepublicGurl

My understanding is that the anti-hero is a protagonist with the opposite attributes given to the classic hero (brave, idealistic, good, etc.) but the anti-villain is an antagonist with the opposite attributes given to the classic villain (evil, cowardly, destructive, etc.).

People gave good examples of each from pop culture such as Batman, The Good (from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), and on as anti-heroes... and the likes of Ozymandias or Saren as great examples of anti-villains.

In your particular case, your Light-Side Sith would either be an anti-hero or a hero because for you, your character is the protagonist of the story. She has the ideals and morals of a good person, and depending on the way you take her story, she could very well just be a hero who overcomes the adversity of the culture she was born to... or well, be an anti-hero because she has strong morals but still works for an organization as bad as the Empire.

She'd only be an anti-villain if she was an antagonist - that is, the story isn't told from her perspective, she was there stopping the hero (anti- or not) along the way, even if for good intentions.

Apologies if someone made this distinction already, but I admittedly didn't read every post thoroughly.

This is why I really enjoy this game and I don't understand people who belittle the choices and freedom of the story. Even if the major plot points don't change radically based on your light/dark decisions, the vibe of the story and your character's personality is completely different.

Anyway, labels are always imprecise. Anti-hero and anti-villain are fine if you want to a nice label on your character, but I don't think it's necessary. I think it simplifies things too much to do that.

I think a dark-side Jedi is more interesting than a 100% light-side Jedi, because he or she is a flawed character, and they're always more interesting and more human. Even in the movies, there are times when the most heroic Jedi characters say or do things that might have awarded them a few dark-side points. Depending on where you choose to make your dark choices, you may be someone who wants to do right but is impatient and bad-tempered. Or you may be a good person who hates the empire so much that you can't stop yourself from hurting and killing them at every opportunity. Or you may be completely sadistic and evil, but still loyal to the Republic.

Conversely, a light-side Sith could be seen as a good person in a bad situation. Your whole life and family are with the Empire, so you don't want to believe that you're part of something evil. Or you might believe that the Empire is evil, but figure you can do your part to try and change that from within. Or you might be kinda evil yourself, but you still have enough of a conscience so that there is a line even you won't cross.

My understanding is that the anti-hero is a protagonist with the opposite attributes given to the classic hero (brave, idealistic, good, etc.) but the anti-villain is an antagonist with the opposite attributes given to the classic villain (evil, cowardly, destructive, etc.).

People gave good examples of each from pop culture such as Batman, The Good (from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), and on as anti-heroes... and the likes of Ozymandias or Saren as great examples of anti-villains.

In your particular case, your Light-Side Sith would either be an anti-hero or a hero because for you, your character is the protagonist of the story. She has the ideals and morals of a good person, and depending on the way you take her story, she could very well just be a hero who overcomes the adversity of the culture she was born to... or well, be an anti-hero because she has strong morals but still works for an organization as bad as the Empire.

She'd only be an anti-villain if she was an antagonist - that is, the story isn't told from her perspective, she was there stopping the hero (anti- or not) along the way, even if for good intentions.

Apologies if someone made this distinction already, but I admittedly didn't read every post thoroughly.

Um.

... I love you?

I am so going to show this to Krissie; you make very good points here, and I am hard-pressed to agree with them! :eek:

I find that in the whole shape of things (putting all the classes in perspective of the unfolding of the entire game) my Sith would be the anti-hero in that she's part of an Empire trying to take over, but she's still a hero of sorts because she is compassionate and trying to change said Empire from within.

All of my sith are traitors at heart, and they take every opportunity to undermine the empire. They even refuse some missions, just because they know there is no good ending, even with the light side choice.

They told the jedi on korriban the truth that he was being manipulated after helping him escape. They refused to poison the slaves on Dromund Kaas with a quick death. They're still rebelling last time I visited. I have dozens more examples.

If I could have had a choice to stay with my SW master, I would have joined him just to have the chance to kill the emperor myself. As it is, I plot against the emperor from the inside, and I patiently wait for my opportunity.

Yeah, my sith are anti-villain.

Yup. Almost the same thing with my Sith Warrior Jugg Alt. He's trying to destroy the empire from within, well atleast the evil, insane, corrupted one. And in place, he sort of wants an empire that's pretty much like the "Modern British Empire". The Commonwealth is one of the most progressive, have the best quality of life in the countries that are under its banner. (i.e. NZ, Aus, Canada, etc..) Not yet 50, but currently 1250 LS points and 0 Dark side points. I hate the evil empire NPC's who require you to kill this, kill that, etc, especially for no reason, and my character loves to bash those *****s' noses in, but he's totally nice to the weak and to those in need of his help, and he defends them. (So, yeah, he totally hates Darth Baras and answers back in disgust :p) He only kills(storywise) if it's absolutely, really necessary, or if it's someone bad and is basically a waste of space in the SW universe.

Since my Main is a T5 Light sided Jedi Consular Seer, my SW sort of is part of something like the Empire's Operation of

The First Son. Any JC's remember that?

But the version for the republic. But then he doesn't really work for the republic, he just wants the Sith Empire to be good :D So basically, he's like a Sheep in Wolf's Clothing.

Am Actually thinking of gathering people who have the same mindset as that and starting a guild. It will prolly be based in one of the Oceanic Servers(but anywhere could do, west coast more pref if can't go Oceanic. From NZ here) Cause I'm really sick and tired of grouping up with people who play the empire and play it DS and then criticize you for choosing Light. "Light Side?!? ***!?! Be Evil..yada, yada, yada.." Well, FYI, this is my $15 a month and this is how I want to play it, so don't diss. I didn't diss you if you wanted to kill the general in BT and so on...

So yeah, if any of you out there want to start a guild that would cater to us like minded LS Sith, PM me! :) I'm RPing it like we're deep undercover agents, trying to change the Empire from within.

Hmm, well, I play a light side sith warrior and while at first he seemed like a hard but honorable man the things you do in later acts made me realize that he's pretty much as psychotic as the dark side sith. He just have limits and breaks on his psychotic tendencies.

Unless it's an act (which doesn't change all the death and destruction he commit).

I haven't finished the class story yet.

Yep. You said it all pretty well in your post. Anti-hero and anti-villain exactly what they are. In the end of the day it all comes down to same "good guy" and "bad guy" anyway though, guy achieving good things overall by doing bad things to, mostly, bad guys or just not acting like a "goodie goodie" is a bada.ss, while the guy who's achieving bad things by being somewhat kind is maybe even likeable but in the end still gonna be killed by a hero. Edited by VincentWolf

• 6 months later...

necroing an old thread because im really having trouble between deciding to level my lowbie sage, or my ls sorc whos almost 40 now. i awlways play the good guy. seriously. i tried making a ds character, i ended up with 900 ds points, and tons of ls points(which is more ds than any of my other chars tho). but i cant decide if my sorc is really the good guy or not. yes shes nice, and if she could defect to the jedi she would(im still hoping they might add this in at some point, even if its just in the story and not actually factionwise, similar to the

agent ending(one of them at least)

. after all, a former member of the dark council became a jedi you find out in the knight story on quesh). she hates sith about as much as my agent does. after all, she was their slave and forced to learn their ways and fight for them. but she still does end up fighting for them, and they are after all, sugar coat it all you want, overall, evil, even tho shes trying to make them not evil, she really knows its a lost cause.

it would be hands down the sage, but im lazy and dont want to do 20+ levels of the same ac over again, even with a different story, and so if i can find some way to justify playing a ls sith, then i would much prefer that. im thinking of rping sort of a sith who has studied the forbidden knowledge of the jedi(shes studied every other forbidden knowledge after all, why not that?), and decided that she believes the jedis philosiphies and the calm style of the lightside are more powerful. But thats just me and how i end up coming up with some reason for everything my chars do, rather than just choosing light or dark options.

go for it. i have a LS sorc myself. she's usually nice, but gives lip to most/evil authority figures, as well as demeaning imps that talk trash about aliens, her being Twilek and all. half the time, she picks LS choices to "rebel" against the other sith and such. not to say she never picks DS, but she needs to be in the mood.

It's shades of gray. There is no complete black or white, good or bad. What you are doing is creating a multi-faceted character, and to me, that makes it far more interesting, and adds depth and interest to your game play.

I created a light-sided Sith. She is Level V light side, level 50, and far more interesting to me than if she'd been fully dark. Did she make dark choices along the way? Yes, but in the end, her light choices outweighed the dark, and she earned her Pure title, although she does not wear it.

I am going to create a Jedi and do the same thing, but in reverse, like your roommate. The Jedi struggle against their dark tendencies, so it makes sense for some of them to be anti-heroes, just as it makes sense for some Sith to be anti-villains and to see a different path for the future, however fruitless their hopes may be.

There are no Anti-Hero---Anti Villans, You are or you aren't. If you are not a Hero of the Sith Empire you are nothing you do not qualify and only quantify as a worm to be trod upon in order to improve upon the Empire. Or you are Republic trash and deserve only death

It's all about syntax and it's also a simple mathematic binary equation to definy what "that" character is.

First, define the 4 variables:

GOOD GOAL: Aiding the Republic (because whatever you can say, this represent democracy, freedom, equality etc even if it isn't perfect and also corrupted by who rule it), also protecting the weaks, the innocents, build a better galaxy for everyone (not only an elite, force users or not), and so on

EVIL GOAL: Aiding the Empire (because as it was said before, the Empire it's discriminatiory, tyrannical, make a mistake = your life it's forfeit without any judgement, too much power on few hands, and so on again), make innocent ppl and weaks suffer, further selfish interests, etc.

GOOD APPROACH (likewise LS allign.): beign nice, try to not sacrifice anybody if possibile, beign honourable, don't betray the trust of the others, help when you can, etc.

EVIL APPROACH (likewise DS allign.): beign rude and/or ruthless, betray the trust of the others, killing everybody that stands in your way, and ahead of that.

That said, there are also 4 different definitions based on this 4 variables:

GOOD GOAL + GOOD APPROACH = HERO (you are an Hero, you embody paragon's virtue, altruism, blablabla)

EVIL GOAL + EVIL APPROACH = VILLAIN (you're the VERY bad guy/girl, just the opposite of the Hero in every sense)

GOOD GOAL + EVIL APPROACH = Anti - HERO also VIGILANTE (you pursuit a good goal, you try to make things better but you're also ruthless and cruel against who oppose your objectives; i can't think than a better testimonial than The Punisher)

EVIL GOAL + GOOD APPROACH = for the commutative proprety, you're an Anti - VILLAIN, also ROGUE in some DC/Marvel comics (your aims are questionable, but you mantain honour and a code of conduct very stricly and someway merciful, "good", helpful against the weaks)

An example of this last kind of character can be

Lord Praven from Jedi Knight 1 Chapter

So, that's said, your character should be an Anti- Villain :) or at least, something beetwen the Rogue and the Villain itself.

As someone posted before, it is hard to see things here as good or bad in the contest of jedi or sith. Yes, we can all agree that Sith Empire is based on terror and oppression, but have you played trooper or smuggler? His story begins on Ord Mantell, under "Republic" control. I used quotation marks on purpose. Republic supposed to stand for the good and noble things. But do ANY quest there, they will want to charge you for breathing. And did you notice a little difference between Imp and Rep IF? There are no doors on shops on IF.

You are playing character who strongly believes in the soul believes of your own side, on the basic ideals which probably only exist in very few people, and you want to do whatever is necessary to see your ideals come true. You caught a criminal but your justice system is slow and corrupted. What can you do? Who you gonna call? Noone, just take your lighsaber and make a shish kebab out of him cause he is destroying the picture of your ideal republic. You fight corruption any way you can and know, with your lightsaber. I wouldn't say that because of that your dark side jedi is a bad character.

It really depends on your character. My warrior is my only 100% LS character and what he does, he does to keep the people of the empire safe and prevent genocide by the republic. He's a hero, not an anti-villain. Yes, he believes that the empire is better than the republic, a bulwark against inevitable chaos, decadence and hypocrisy that would be the result of Republic rule, although it's in dire need of change at the top which he has every intention of making happen. Thing is, that doesn't really matter in determining what kind of a character they are, just what they do and why. Whether it's a hopeless task has no bearing on the character's nature.

It really depends on your character. My warrior is my only 100% LS character and what he does, he does to keep the people of the empire safe and prevent genocide by the republic. He's a hero, not an anti-villain. Yes, he believes that the empire is better than the republic, a bulwark against inevitable chaos, decadence and hypocrisy that would be the result of Republic rule, although it's in dire need of change at the top which he has every intention of making happen. Thing is, that doesn't really matter in determining what kind of a character they are, just what they do and why. Whether it's a hopeless task has no bearing on the character's nature.

That almost reminds me of someone you encounter in Act 3 for the Trooper.

*Major Spoilers*

General Rakton well and truly believes that the Empire is a beacon of enlightenment that will bring order, stability, and prosperity to the galaxy. He thinks that he is protecting the galaxy from what he sees as the corrupt, decadent Republic. The only difference is that I'm pretty sure Rakton doesn't (or didn't, depending on whether or not you executed him) believe that the Empire needed a change of leadership.

You're Sith Warrior might earnestly believe that the Empire is morally better than the Republic but he'd be wrong. Unless he skipped most of the Imperial planets' main questlines, I really can't see how any Imperial characters can be heros after all the things they did and innocent people they killed. At least not in the traditional sense.

Edited by OldVengeance

All my toons are Lightside...though i do tend to make Darkside options when i feel it fits (or i'm in a bad mood lol)

As for my Imp toons they think the empire is better morally than the rep due to propaganda, the emperor, and being raised imp, but by the time they finish their last class quests, they see the empire as the evil thing it is, and wish they could defect... but the big floaty ghost head called Bioware says they can't so they grudgingly stay imp :D

Wish our own toons could be companions, i could make my Sith Mara, and shadow the padawan of my sage and Guardian :D trooper could use my snipers intell+join havok, and my smuggler could team up with my Bounty hunter and smuggle goods for the rep, and take out bounties on wanted Imps :D

Though i just noticed i'm a bit off topic by now so i'll shut up now....err stop typing :D